Jazeta Amber Daniels Chapter 9 “The Language of Sound”

Printer-friendly version

She had dreamed of a ballroom with the silver sphere above causing a spectacular display of color along the wall. Everyone was dressed to play off the brilliance of that spectrum so that in the darkness they were an illuminated display of art. Even their faces, obscured by masks, sparkled in the low light. It was best to be hidden from sight, as her parents did not approve of her choice.

He was supposed to be nothing but a shiftless drifter. If he was a farmer he would be lucky to grow one plant with maybe one good piece of fruit to cultivate into two for the next year. Her parents were against this as it was unbecoming to step below her, no, their status, in life and to do so would only bring pain.

The pain came about when her parents learned of those nights and they made sure that the separation was as permanent as it could. It ended with a death.

cacoethes carpendi

The Language of Sound

“You seriously asked him to come to the game on Friday?” Kim asked we entered the school. I had spent the entire time talking to her about everything that happened the night before.
“Yes, I did.”
“You are crazy, you know that?”
“Un poco,” I replied with a slight laugh.
“But it’s good to see you like that. Great to see you happy.”
“You too, Kim, you too.”
I felt genuinely happy. For both of us; and for a split-second of time I forgot about everything Tom had ever said to or about me it all flashed away to a dark and locked away closet, only to come outa few seconds later as Tom moseyed up to us with some weird lunge walk. He lifted Kim up, almost to the ceiling, and another fleeting thought, about having having Tom work with us as a base came to mind but I quickly dismissed it as I wouldn’t trust him even if I could fly like Superman.
“How you doin, Babe?”
“I am wonderful,” Kim replied as he lowered her down and kidded her. The PDA was flowing like a river of Dr Pepper.
My happiness faded away as I saw Kris walk down the hallway alongside Michelle. Not that I felt bad for them being together, it was because I didn’t trust Kris with not telling Michelle things that happened between us and he had a plethora of stories he could talk about. Michelle wouldn’t even have to twist anything around: those tales were twisted right from the start.
I didn’t show my disdain to them as I turned my attention back to Tom and Kim; who were so engrossed in themselves the world around them could vanish without a trace without them knowing for…maybe, seven minutes? I regret remembering what Kim said about their “rumblings” as she called it one time.

up
12 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos