What Maisie Knew: 13. A Shiver of Excitement

Printer-friendly version

Mom paused and looked at me for a moment. "I don't understand why that girl can't talk to her own mother."

"I can't speak for Maisie," I protested.

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
13. A Shiver of Excitement

 

I didn't tell anyone about Sister Honororia's kindness. Not even my mother. I was pretty sure that she'd tell Maisie's mother, and who knows who she would talk to.

To tell the truth, I didn't get a *chance* to tell my mother. She wasn't there when I left detention, so I walked home by myself. A lot of the snow had melted and all the sidewalks were clear. I started thinking about what it would be like when we moved across town. It was nice, being able to walk home. After we moved, I'd have to get a ride every day. Maisie said we could walk in nice weather, which meant we had to get a ride when the weather wasn't so nice. This was something I'd have to figure out. I didn't want to depend on someone else to get home.

When I walked into our apartment, Mom was on the phone. It didn't take long for me to figure out that she was talking to Ida, Maisie's mother. Mom sounded all happy and excited — "giddy", like Maisie said. I was glad for her. I know she had friends back in California, but not like this — so close and giggly, like kids. I wondered whether Dad was making friends, too...

I changed into the short skirt that Eden had gaven me and a t-shirt. It was pretty warm in the apartment. Then I flopped down on the couch with the Cosmo from Cassie. I mostly looked at the pictures, even the ads, just absorbing the clothes, the shoes, the hair, the looks, the poses... as I did I realized something. I was never really interested in girls. I mean, dating girls, kissing girls... none of that stuff ever entered my head. I did admire the way some girls and women looked, and now that I had the chance to look that way too... well, that's what I wanted all along. I went back to the beginning of the magazine and started looking for a girl whose coloring was similar to mine.

Mom hung up and rushed over to me. "I've got big news!" she said. Her eyes drifted to my legs, and I saw the isn't that skirt a bit too short, young lady? thing coming up, but it never got out — it was trumped by whatever it was she wanted to tell me. "GREAT big news! I've ready told your father. We're closing tomorrow!"

"Tomorrow?" I repeated. "So we can move in..."

"Tomorrow!" she replied. "After the closing, the house is ours! The earliest I could get the movers to come is Friday morning. Your father is going to take off work–"

"I could take off school," I offered hopefully.

"Nice try," she grinned, "but no. You wouldn't be any help on moving day. The movers will do all the work. But don't make any plans for the weekend. If any of your friends want to come and help, they're welcome, but they have to be ready to work. Ida will be there... you can invite Maisie."

She paused and looked at me for a moment. "I don't understand why that girl can't talk to her own mother."

"I can't speak for Maisie," I protested.

"She must have told you something," Mom persisted.

"Will you tell me what Ida's said about it?" I hazarded, hoping for a no.

"No, of course not!" Mom snapped.

I smiled. She understood. We each had to keep our own friend's secrets.

"Okay, Miss Smarty-Pants. In any case... about the house: tomorrow after school, Ida will pick you up and bring you to the new house, and we — WE, got it? We will do as much cleaning as possible."

"Remember, I have detention," I said. For once, I was glad about it. "Friday, too."

"Hmmm." Mom considered this. She was probably thinking of calling Sister Honororia to see if some arrangement could be made. Then she let the idea go. "All right. But make sure you do all your homework while you're in there — Friday, too — and be ready to work afterward."

Then she floated off, singing some goofy song about "moving on up" as she got dinner ready. I kept flipping the pages of Cosmo, but I couldn't really concentrate.

Suddenly the singing stopped and Mom re-emerged from the kitchen, her hands dripping. "Marcie? Go pick out some work clothes for tomorrow. I'll bring them with me so you can change when you get there. Something that can get dirty. Don't forget whatever shoes, socks, underwear you need."

"Okay," I said without looking up. "Shoes, socks, underwear."

Mom didn't move. She stood in the doorway, waiting.

"I meant now," she said.

"OKAY!" I jumped up and picked out my sneakers, a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a do-rag to tie up my hair. Plus the incidentals (socks, underwear). I put the sneakers in a plastic bag and threw everything into my gym bag. Then I left the bag by the front door. Mom went and checked it.

"Don't you trust me?" I asked.

"Of course I do," she answered. "But you might innocently forget something that would prevent you from working..."

"Oh, Mom," I groaned.


At dinner, Dad seemed a little nervous. "Aren't you happy?" Mom asked.

"Sure," he said. "It's just that there's a lot to do."

She waved her hand dismissively.

"Oh, I almost forgot! I found out that our house has a name!" she announced. "It's called the Villa Sabatino."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because it was built by a man whose last name was Sabatino in the 1920s, and he gave the house his name. His family lived in the house ever since — well, except for the current owner, who apparently never actually lived there. So, the house really only belonged to two families: the Sabatinos and now the Donners!"

"The twenties isn't all that long ago," Dad puzzled. "I wonder..."

For some reason the face of the girl I'd seen in the window came to my mind, along with Maisie's voice saying Maybe it was a ghost, Nancy Drew!

I shivered.

"What's wrong?" Mom asked.

"Oh, nothing," I said. "Just a shiver."

"A shiver of excitement," she commented, smiling.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
163 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Marcie's Mom Takes The Cake

She does not trust her daughter now, at least the Nun does listen to Marcie. I think the girl in window is a Sabatino girl that ran a way from home.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I don't know what you mean...

... Cross checking to make sure nothing was forgotten is a normal thing. It's very important to help teens this way. More often than not, they're perfectly willing to be helpful, but if they conveniently forgot something, an excuse to NOT help clean would come in handy. :-)

That's typical parent - teen (who's shown she can occasionally be less than practical) interaction.

There're right and wrong ways...

...to check up on the preparations of the prefrontal-cortex-development-in-progress folks, aka 'young adults', but I can't say that I'd be impressed with the one that the fictional Marcie's Mom is following; she's showing nothing but disdain for her daughter's mental abilities, sending Marcie very negative vibes, so to speak. There are ways to work with kids of Marcie's age that are positive, but I don't see them happening here - In many ways I think the aunt in California was a better parent for Marcie.

I've had the feeling for the last few 'quiet' episodes that we were building up to something, so I'm waiting to see how this is all going to go down....

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

It's funny you should say that

I mean what you said about the aunt being a better parent.

As I was reading some of these comments, it reminded me of the comments on the early chapters of Rules Are Rules, when everyone *hated* the aunt.

You're Kidding, Right?

Does anyone really believe Marcie's aunt (Jane?) was a model of parenthood? Come on people, there's more to being a responsible parent than letting your child do anything they want! Parents are not companions, they're supervisors of a sort that are suppose to keep an eye on you so you don't get into something that's over your head or threatening. I raised two sons and my biggest mistake was trying to be their friend. What are parents to do when their children lose respect for you or claim you're just trying to live another childhood through them. Aunt Jane was a babysitter, or at least that's how she handled her responsibility. Real parents worry about their children, about whether their safe, about whether they have everything they need to grow, physically and socially. Their worst nightmare is they won't be there for their children when they really need a study, caring hand.

Marcie's mom and dad are scared that she is in something more than she can handle. Like all teenagers, she is somewhat oblivious to her mortality, and what she has been doing is inviting disaster. Remember the wall she climbed and the admonition she received? That purse snatcher could have really hurt her, too. Marcie's parents saw that action, what nightmare were they living at that moment. And, the bank? Look, there good parents and people who should never have children, and I haven't read anything in Kaleigh's stories to say they are of the later. Maybe my boys were right. Even though I was good provider, my stint as a parent was a disaster. I knew better, as my own parents failed the grade too.

As for Maisie's diary, I suspect a spoiled child there. I could be wrong and her parents may be less than they should be, but I'll hold judgement on that for now. Kaleigh is a good writer and I can see she has a mature view of people's personalities. She knows what the teenage years are like and the good and bad points of adults. I'll trust her to pick the villians, she doesn't need my help. Until then, she is going to surprise us, I'm sure.

If you listen to anything I say, hear that it is easy to be a friend, but it's damnable hard to be a good parent.

Now, I think I need to drop out. I'm not having fun anymore.

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I wonder, as dad wonders...

... out under the sky. How Marcie, dear Marcie can go through... Wait I'm mixing things up But, I am wondering how she can get through so many consecutive episodes without a crisis.

I'm also wondering, as I believe our reclusive author would have us wonder, who/what Marcie saw in the window. Now, what does dad know or think he knows that brought out the wondering. And, why didn't the previous owners live in the house? Did someone in the family discourage this? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)

More, more, more... to quote some birds in Finding Nemo. :-)

Annette

Blaze of Glory?

Hope not.. ;)

Like Marcie too much, and please some more of Maisie's Diary.

The Legendary Lost Ninja

Maisie

The crash is comming? Who would have guessed.
YOu are making these so short to see if we actually
expire from waiting?

I tend to agree with JC, too, Kaleigh. I think that
Maisie's diary was some of your best writing. Really
amazing stuff, you know.

Thank you, Kaleigh. Cant wait to see who the girl
was in the window; and I like the fact that Marcie is
starting to realize some things about herself, and to
think about them a little.

Sarah Lynn

is the house haunted?

Angharad's picture

is that why the previous family didn't live there and why the Donners got it at a good price?

Angharad

Angharad

But, what if...?

Okay, you guys have been making some pretty good speculation and I have been looking at them with some thought. Now it's my turn (evil laugh track).

(Trumpets play) Insanity runs rampant: What if the ghost, the girl in the window, has something really in common with Mark/Marcie? Maybe she too, the ghost, had also been a boy finding the girl within. Could she have been locked away from disapproving eyes, labeled sick or crazy, someone the family didn't want to acknowledge even existed? Could she have been murdered, or neglected to the point of death, to keep the family from embarassment? If the current owners have never lived in the house (grandchildren, etc.), they might not even know about the girl in the window. Maybe the girl/ghost has been waiting decades for someone outside the family to give her acknowledgement, tell her story and release her from her prison?

Okay, even dumb ideas can have some validity. Who knows, our author does. (evil laugh track again)

Kaleigh?

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

If I tell you...

... then you won't need to read the story!

Some people are getting awfully close with the guessing, though!

Ooooh, I just scared myself!

What if the girl Marcie saw was her own future self, like a premonition?

The fortune teller was vague as all sucessful ones are -- if you can't see the future be so vague anything fits -- but I gathered her confusion was that Marcie was both male and female in her perceptions and it made no sense. That is it does't unless Marcie will at some point be a genetic girl, ie by magic or she was intersexed and this mishaps with the herbs and the castration have allowed the female parts to start working. But then I hate the idea of a child being harmed. She clearly did not want to be girl at first and only gave in when cajoled and pressured by adults she trusted and/or was under the control of.

I want her happy but not becasue she has adapted to the futility of her ever being a man but because she always in her heart a woman. If is is but conventiona SRS so be it but only becasue that is waht she wnted and not what the social pressures and the herb/drugs did to her.

Ack! Now I'm confusing myself.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Okay, BUT

Mark didn't give in. He wasn't cajoled or pressured.

This idea (which comes PURELY from the comments, and NOT from my story) was one point that drove me wild (in the bad sense) about comments on Rules Are Rules.

I think that many readers are used to reading stories in which there are rather global conspiracies to turn some boy into a girl. That's NOT what happens in RAR.

The first chapter is based on a real-life incident -- but after that, his aunt, and then his aunt's friend TEASE him about staying as a girl. They NEVER expect him to go on wearing dresses or calling himself Marcie.

When he does declare that he wants to try being a girl, they are shocked and don't want to let him do it.

I realize that what you said, John, is what a lot of readers think. I have to say that it's NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT what *I* think, and I don't think the story supports your belief.

I wish that everyone who has this idea that Mark was forced to be Marcie would read chapter 8 of Rules Are Rules, and then see if you can fit *that* into your belief. See if you can explain to me how and why -- if Mark is being forced -- is he fighting his aunt and the school secretary so that he can go on being a girl?

And then, explain to me, why -- if they are the ones forcing him -- are they telling him NOT to do it?

Here's an excerpt from that chapter (and this is how it was originally written -- I didn't rewrite):

Jane shook her head. "I can't believe this! I can't believe the two of you are ganging up on me!" She waved her hand as if to shut Alice and Denise off, and turned to look at me. "Mark, listen. You know I was only kidding before, right? I was just teasing you. I never, never, never meant for you to wear a dress to school. I will even go so far as to say that I'm sorry that I made you late for school, and I'll admit that this is all my fault, okay?"

It's not just one paragraph. It represents the tone of the whole chapter. How is that forcing?

Fading memory

Now I'm going to have to go back and reread the chapter about the psychic again! I didn't read it carefully enough.

As for being "forced", you know if you tell a teenager to do something one way, they'll always do it the other way. So they used a little reverse psychology on him, that's how deep and sinister the plot is! ;)

Where do I get this stuff, anyway?

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

marcie --markwhat marcie know,s or R R ?

ok wow you relly like to comfuze every one just when it was geting good in les say part 2 you stop and pull the rug out from us ok this is fun but please stop pulling the rug out from unders every one or at least me aaahhhhh,now i have to go back to #1 part 1 than stop when i get here to see who did what or to whom not fun ,so have a good one and take care hugs n love awalys [email protected]

mr charlles r purcell
verry good story i wood love to see a lot more of this all i can say is wow verry good thanks for shareing

Movin' on up

Was that MPeople?

I noticed Primal Scream had also done one, but I figured MPeople would probably been the more appropriate.

Good story.

Not as much action as the first, but good.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Not "The Jeffersons"?

I thought she meant the theme from "The Jeffersons" or has that TV programme also become one of those things that gives away my advanced age?

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

Right

The theme song from The Jeffersons.

only have one problem = upcoming

it was stated in this chapt or the last one. MARK has alot of stuff in storage, not MACIE. Notice the parents, nor Macie seems to remember this particular detail. They just invited outside help to un-pack.

Most curious how that's gonna get explained away (smiles)

ready to move

into a possibly haunted house?

DogSig.png