What Maisie Knew: 3. Fortune Favors The Bold

Printer-friendly version

"When I saw the way you wiggled in the parking lot, I just had to meet you. You had some serious moves going on out there."

"Oh," I replied, reddening just a little, "Aren't you the bold one?"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
3. Fortune Favors The Bold

 



Maisie Beale's Diary, excerpt:

I didn't even know I had a godfather. I probably should have guessed, but he died when I was a baby. This means I have a godmother somewhere, too. I have to remember to find out who she is.

Anyway, my godfather was one of Dad's rich friends. He was never married and he had no kids, so when he died he left — I want to say everything but I don't know if it's true. In any case, he left me a lot. Enough to make my parents fight over me. They don't want to share custody.

Why? Because whoever gets me gets to spend my trust fund. Even if it's my money, they get to draw off it for expenses related to raising me.

The one good thing that Ms. Goldenflower did was to hook me up with a lawyer. I kept asking her questions about divorce and about my trust fund. She wanted to talk about my feelings (as if they ever mattered). I wanted to talk about reality and the things my parents were fighting about.

Finally, out of desperation, she got me an appointment with a young guy who was the first adult on this planet who ever took me seriously.

The first thing I asked him was whether he worked for my mother or father. I'd heard about "conflict of interest" and really needed to know. He didn't work for either. Never had. Could not, as long as he represented me. He would bill my trust fund, so I was paying him. This defines loyalty in the world of lawyers.

I ran down my list of questions. I wanted to know if I could stop them from spending my money. He said that I could. He got my parents' financial papers from the divorce proceedings, and had a judge issue a stop on withdrawals from my account unless a custodial parent could demonstrate need. I also got a record of the money they'd already taken. They'd each taken a lot. My lawyer had my bank send a letter to each of my parents, so they'd know a lock was put on the account and that I had "received a comprehensive statement of all account activity to date." Put 'em on notice.

The sweet taste of victory didn't last very long.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when the custody battle changed direction, but I was.

Instead of fighting to keep me, my parents starting fighting to get rid of me. They also wanted to cancel my therapy sessions. Before, when they thought they'd get my trust fund, each wanted sole custody. Now, they each want the other to have sole custody.

I'm not going to say that it hurt me.

It didn't hurt.

It just surprised me.

Still, it's one thing to believe that you're not wanted, but having legal, documentary proof that you're not wanted, is... just... it's something else.

I had to go to court so custody could be "awarded." Children's court. It was a little room, but the chairs were all normal size. The judge was okay. He tended to treat me like a kid, always reassuring me about unimportant junk and explaining obvious things. Still, he didn't overdo it.

He asked me which parent I'd prefer to live with. "Neither," I said.

He replied, "I can understand that. I can't blame you. In your position, I wouldn't want to live with them either."

Then came the nice part of the day: the judge told my parents off. He took his time about it, and he was very thorough. Dad tried to interrupt, but the judge shut him right up. He said, "Mr. Beale, if you don't close your mouth and listen, I'll charge you with contempt, and you'll spend the night in jail. And that's just for starters."

Once he had their attention, he ripped them up, down, and sideways, especially about how they'd used my trust fund and the way they were trying to dump me. He said, "I can understand your fighting over houses, bank accounts, cars... but this is a child! Someone who came from you and depends on you for her very life!"

In the end he said, "I'm sorry to do this to you, Maisie, but I have to award joint custody. I wish there was some alternative, but I don't see one. If you can find one, you give me a call, and I'll see what I can do."


 
I tried to get a good look at Ms. Means without being too obvious about it. She was a very attractive woman. I remember Dad said she was about 40. I hoped to look that good at 40. Her hair was cut in the short, straight style that's big now (it probably has a name, but I don't know it). Whatever it's called, it looks good on her. She wore a red silk blouse and black slacks — very simple, understated, elegant. I wanted her shoes.

She was a fair-skinned Black; her skin was a light caramel color, that went well with her reddish-brown hair.

There was a young man with broad shoulders, obviously her son, sitting next to her. His skin was slightly darker, and his hair was fuller and wavier. He had his mother's fine features, but set in a strong, masculine face. He could be an athlete, but I couldn't decide which sport.

There were two other people at the table: a gorgeous blonde woman with a miraculous tan. The girl sitting next to her was similarly blonde, though her skin was pale. She had an almost anorexic thinness, and caught me staring but didn't seem to mind.

I looked down at my plate, which was mysteriously empty. "Dad," I asked, "did you take my food?"

He started back, incredulous, and nearly choked with laughter.

"Marcie," my mother told me, "I think you need to slow down when you eat. You shovel food in your mouth like you're stoking a furnace."

"Thanks, Ma," I drawled.

"You're not even aware that you're eating."

"Okay," I droned.

"Do you even taste your food?" she asked. I sighed.

"You need to know," she shrugged. "It's not ladylike."

"Right," I said as I started to stand, "I get it. I'll work on it."

"Going back for more?" Dad asked, grinning. I nodded. Mom drew a long breath and gave me a cautionary look.

The buffet was set up on two sides of a long table. I went down the left side. This time I was trying to be selective, but everything looked so good! Still, I kept myself to tiny samples of each item.

When I came around the end of the buffet, I saw Ms. Means' son working his way down the other side, heading toward me. I had the feeling he was waiting for me.

"Oh, hey," he said.

"Hi," I replied, feeling suddenly shy. He was a good four inches taller than me, and I was in heels.

"Marcie Donner, right? I'm Trevor Means." He held out his hand.

"Uh," I said stupidly. I had both hands full, so I offered him an elbow. He waggled it, grinning.

"My mother told me your name," he said. "When I saw the way you wiggled in the parking lot, I just had to meet you. You had some serious moves going on out there."

"Oh," I replied, reddening just a little, "Aren't you the bold one?"

"I am," he agreed. "Fortune favors the bold."

"So I've heard," I said. "Has it favored you?"

"Today it has," he replied, grinning.

"I guess I left myself open on that one," I commented.

"Would you also be open to my calling you sometime?" he asked. "Sometime soon?"

I had to admire his grammar and style. He was confident and — what was the word? active? — yet he wasn't pushy. He wasn't pushy at all. He was persuasive.

"What sport do you play?" I asked.

"None really," he replied. "I play a little ball, but nothing serious. Why? Do you only date a certain type of athlete?"

"No," I said laughing. "You look like... you're built like a jock, but I couldn't figure out which sport... And you said 'ball' — which kind of ball? Basketball?"

"Guilty as charged," he replied, nodding. "Yeah, Mom said you were some kind of girl detective. I see she was right."

"Oh, no," I said. "I'm no detective."

"Huh. I was misinformed then. So, I'll call you," he concluded, and walked past me, smiling, before I could reply.

Very smooth. I looked in the direction of my table, but the buffet centerpiece blocked the view. Clever, Trevor, very clever.

"Trevor, how are you going to call me?" I asked through the foliage.

"Tell me your number," he replied.

"Will you remember it?"

"Try me and see."

I recited the number, and he said, "Got it."

When I got back to my table, Mom was looking at me in a strange way. "What happened to you?" she asked.

"Nothing," I replied, as innocently as I could manage.

At that moment, Trevor walked past. He didn't look our way. He didn't give any clue that he knew who we were, but when Mom saw him, her glance shot back to me. How did she know?

"Marcie," she warned.

"Mom," I said, protesting my innocence.

"What's going on?" Dad asked.

In answer, Mom pointed at Trevor's back with her eyes.

Dad sighed and looked at me. "My boss' son!" he lamented, as if that said everything.

"I didn't do anything!" I protested.

"You never do," Dad replied. "It all just happens somehow."

I blushed and looked down at my food, pushing it around with a fork.

Mom's eyes were still on me. "I have to say I'm a little jealous," she said. "I never got this kind of attention when I was your age."

Dad somehow managed a look that was both a frown and smile at the same time. "That's not how I remember it. As I recall, I had a lot of competition."

It was Mom's turn to blush. My mouth fell open.

"Now *this* sounds interesting," I said with a big smile, glad the tables had turned.

"Don't change the subject, young lady," Mom countered. "You've got to put the brakes on now. Don't give him your phone number, for one thing."

I tried to look nonchalant, but my face gave me away.

"Hoo boy!" Dad said. "Maybe it's time to take that cell phone away."

"Noooo!" I cried.

© 2007 by Kaleigh Way

up
169 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fortune favors Kaleigh

Now *this* sounds interesting. LOL. The Bosses' Son.
You *are* having fun, Aren't you, Kaleigh. LOL.

The two are so opposite,though. One with not enough
care, and the other with way too many cares.
Maisie makes my heart ache for her.

Thank you, Kaleigh.

Sarah Lynn

Poor Maisie

Knowing what she knows now has hurt her deeply. Her parents do not deserve her at all. I hope that she gets to be Marcie's sister in time.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Maisie's Concerns

You have me feeling two entirely different emotions at once Kayleigh! I'm feeling so concerned about Maisie and her greedy "It's all about me" parents, and then I feeling delight at seeing Marcie back in grand style. Just like old times I got a much needed laugh at her parent's distress. Take away the cell phone indeed!
hugs!
grover

Don't tell me...

Marcie becomes Masie's "mom"....

Nope, but the godmother ...

... sends Masie to Blessed Yvette's.

Both kids commiserate, in between fighting each other, over having to leave sunny SoCal for that pit, obviously well above the Arctic Circle and just a few miles from the North Pole, called New Jersey.
Masie is hurting. Marcie is the original "Don't Worry, Be Happy" (as she swings over the pit of hungry crocodiles) kid (stark terror for the parents indeed).
I predict that they won't get along, at least at first.

Sigh, even worse.

Marcie is brave, no doubt. I voiced my doubts about her in the previous episode but this is getting really worse and worse. On top of that, absolutely no sense of style ?! Sheesh! Well, Marcie, as the previous posters have most astutely picked up on, is going to get the opportunity to grow up.

By taking care of Maisie.

For a TS, Marcie has so few cares. She does not even understand how really blessed she is. She just takes it as given that she is entitled to have somebody pave the way for her; it just happens. She is a real trouper in an emergency or crisis moment. But she really has no clue for the long term. My God, the boss's son ? What if he finds her penis during groping ?

It is going to be sheer agony to see her grow up.

Kim

"My God, the boss's son ?

"My God, the boss's son ? What if he finds her penis during groping?"

Well, they have already discussed the reward money going towards "the surgery".
After the double orchidectomy (which was not legal in California or any other state; to perform on a minor without medical necessity if they had parental consent or not)(that is why "optional" SRS isn't done on minors*), they can perform the fabrication of the "innie" pretty much at will.

*major physical damage to accident or incident, or medical removal due to cancer do have exceptions, but rare indeed. And always reviewed very carefully by state authorities with an eye to taking all the kids of the family away, in the real world.

SRS

I have to make a comment on above comment.

The reason SRS isnt performed on minors is the body is still changing and could cause problems. This would be especially the reasoning on pubercent children.

At Marcies given age 13 or 15 (i'm still not positive which she is) and fact Kaylee has def. put her BOY pre puberty and has sort of pointed at the MAGICAL herbal tea as kicking her into full blown puberty.

No DR would touch her. As I'm writing this (2013), a german girl has just had SRS @ age of 16, but, many are pointing she is a exception rather than a new rule even today.

From a legal point - waiting till age 18 is normal because the individual has total say in what happens to her/his body.

Heck in most of the states, legally speaking a minor can't get a tattoo even with parental permission.
NOW here's the interesting part. A parent that has a minor with a tattoo could be prosecuted,sent to prison & lost custody and I know quite a few kids with such. Heck in USA alone we'd prob have to turn Rhode Island into a giant prison just to hold all the parents.

Scary thought there isnt it. Back to origional point. From a medical standpoint it makes sense to not perform SRS till age 18 or even later because of UNINTENDED potential consequences, even if legally it should come to pass for minors to do such.

I'm not a medical professional, but, I dang well studied up on what I was doing to my body long B4 I took my 1st hormones and later SRS. And most of the medical professionals I've talked to including DR. Meltzer whom worked on my SRS agreed. I prob. could write a book with all the studying I did in trying to understand what would happen to me
medically.

This is my own personal conviction, but i have a belief I practice from a quote I don't remember who wrote it, but it's a life mantra

when you choose an action --- you choose the consequences of that action also

when you desired a consequence --- you had dammed well better take an
action that would create it

Is Maise old enough ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... to get her lawyer working on having her declared an independant minor?

GREAT WORK !!

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

Age isn't relevant

For emancipated minor status. The minor in question needs to demonstrate 3 basic things:

  1. The home environment is hostile
  2. Ability to provide for oneself
  3. Maturity to reach the decision to proceed with emancipation uncoerced

How do I know this? My twin sister Emancipated herself while I was away at camp when we were 15. She didn't tell me about it until it was done and she was moving away on the day I came home. It took me SEVEN YEARS to forgive her for abandoning me in that environment. When I was finally able to see that she left so that she couldn't be used as a lever against me by my grandmother and cousin (my primary abusers) when I was 17, I still didn't speak to her or contact her for five years. She could have told me, was what I kept railing against. When my fiancé died in 1997 I went to seek her out to tell her -- they'd been friends, too. Then I found out that Grandmother was reading any letters she sent to me at camp. So she really couldn't have told me and gotten it done, too.

Fortune, does indeed, Favor the Bold

?? minor aside

How did Grandmother read the letters sent to you while you were away at camp? Was she at the camp? IIRC, postal mail is federally protected to the recipient. Parents could open mail of a minor child, but any camp diverting mail to somebody other than the parents would be subject to Federal charges. The camp can
1) give the mail unopened to the camper.
2) forward all the mail, unopened, to the parents.
3) allow mail only from certain parties, such as parents or other approved senders, and forward the rest.
Short of a Federal court order, or a "specialty" camp, such as sheriff's boot camps, which are considered jail alternatives and mail review/censorship is a right of incarceration authorities.
If you had known to make a stink about it back then, you could have had the post office bring down Federal authorities upon the camp. Parental authority to censor mail is not enough. (parental authority to forward mail to them is OK)
P.S. That is mail, not packages.

She lived with us

She was reading it before it was sent. Apparently, Ari's first letter to me there was re-written 4 times before it was deemed okay to send.

Ahh

So if she could have come up with a single stamp and a sheet of paper she could have let you know. Presuming she knew the camp address or could get that information by looking at the letter that was OKed.
Ouch.
Did she ever write to any of her or your friends (or heck, acquaintances among schoolmates) to have them pass along to you? She might have left a letter for you under your pillow, or even handed it to you as she was carrying stuff out. While there was a lot of pressures on her at that time, it doesn't sound like she tried really hard to reach you, at least at that time. And maybe she felt too guilty to make a concerted attempt later.
I hope that some of those scars have healed more cleanly over the years since, both those she caused as well as those inflicted by the grandmother and cousin.
Sorry for your pain.
From your description I am guessing that there were no parents around to protect you (which alters the parents bit I wrote earlier to in-loco-parentis or some such)

She would seem to meet

Those criteria. The first two are matters of court record: the trust fund and the hostility. The third would be a judgement call for the judge, but her lawyer could make a good case for it.

Sounds like a good answer to the judge's request for an alternative. Especially if she could get ownership of assets purchased with proceeds from the fund.

Jorey
.
ctgfind.com

Jorey
.

it varies

amyzing's picture

For emancipated minor status. The minor in question needs to demonstrate 3 basic things:

The home environment is hostile
Ability to provide for oneself
Maturity to reach the decision to proceed with emancipation uncoerced

Actually, it depends upon the state; emancipation is not under federal law.

This link might be of interest: http://www.jlc.org/index.php/factsheets/emancipationus

Amy!

Wow...

Maisie's parents make me want to snarl. No child should be forced to live with parents who see him or her as a mere possession, especially not one to be shunted off on the other parent!

How do you do that?

First off, the poor girl with the parents bound for Hell! Still, she is writing in a Diary, so she must have been tough enough to survive. You go girl!

Now, on to other matters, how is it that my face is burning red because of what is going on with Marcie? I never knew that someone could blush just from reading a story. : )

I would be nice if Maisie

I would be nice if Maisie and Marcie hooked up very soon and Maisie could wind up with Marcie's family. The judge did tell her to get him an out from either of her so-called parents. I just hate people who use their children for their own whims and devices as they do not deserve either the child(ren) nor to be called parents (mother or father).
J-Lynn

you take us for a ride ...

Wow Kaleigh,
you take us for a ride.

Maisie who has to fight against her own parents and Marcie who fights for others but has everything else just coming at her.

I have to say I'm surprised Marcie gave her number so freely.
What happend to Jerri? I mean sure they will not see each other often, possibly never again but I thought they loved each other. I find it strange that she will jump to the next guy so quickly. Just what kind of girl does this make Marcie?

Kaleigh ou are doing a great job building tension and if Marcie and Maisie will not meet soon I may snapp ...

thanks for sucha wonderfull new chapter

hugs

Holly

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

It makes her a high school teenager

You're kidding, right? I would tell you how many high school girls I've seen that were totally in love with their boyfriends and then due to falling out or circumstances were with another boyfriend that they were TOTALLY in love with a week later... but I'm not sure I can count that high.

Not!!!

That is like, so TOTALLY scurrious and untrue!! Janet told you that, didn't she, that betch!! And Jason *wasn't* love: Tommy is, TRUE love! I just went out with Jason, but that was then, like TWO weeks ago, and Tommy is now, and real, and true! We are *so* meant for each other!
Michelle

LOL!!!

Someone remind me how old Maisie is....

NoraAdrienne's picture

I don't know about Jersey, but in NY I believe there is something called an Emancipated Minor. That can be done when he or she turns 16 and can show the court reason for allowing it.. Since Maisie has the means to support herself (the trust) I would imagine her lawyer could have that done for her. She would then be entitled to live on her own, go to school and be totally responsible for her own life.

She would never have to talk to either parent again.

Maisie is thirteen, BUT

... Maisie is not an emancipated minor. All she did was get the improper use of her trust fund blocked.

Because her parents' (albeit incomplete) financials had become part of the court record, her lawyer was able to demonstrate that there was no *need* on her parents part, and this made their withdrawals improper, according to the terms of the trust. She wasn't petitioning for control; just blocking abuse.

[How's *that* for pseudo-legalese?]

Arctic Circle

my foot. Watch the New Jersey jokes there, jnh1. Latitude here is similar to Portugal or Rome (Much easier to believe in the hot, humid summers (95F/35C+)). Just because southern California is something akin to Tunisia, but with mudslide and fires...

Kaleigh - Just ignore the rowdy kibitzers and keep up the wonderful work.

Tee Hee Hee

That is a minor paraphrase of my cousin's exact letter home, many decades ago. It was part of a running gag.
She made a Christmas visit to our grandparents in Michigan from her home in Florida, and wrote of how where she was (her mother's childhood home in the Kalamazoo area) was above the Arctic Circle. The year before her sister had somebody take her over to Lake Michigan during a cold snap and get a picture of her on sheet ice all the way to the horizon with a "North Pole" sign, and said she was not allowed to show Santa's workshops in the picture.
It is the kind of thing to come out of the mouths of extreme warm weather kids arriving during winter at Northern cold weather locations. And New Jersey is part of a very long list that would qualify. (and yes, I looked at a globe and New jersey is not much short of a thousand miles from the arctic circle, but the gag stands as from the perspective of a SoCal kid)

John in People's Republic Of Richard Daley II (also cold climate, OK)

No Sweat

Hopefully we can all take a joke, but occasionally one my raise an eyebrow. If I'd known the Windy City source - where they really know what winter is - it would easily have been ignored. Keep warm - better weather is always coming (eventually).

"My boss' son!"

giggles

DogSig.png