What Maisie Knew: 11. Girl, Interrupting

Printer-friendly version

"I guess I didn't think about it because there weren't any boys around."

"Oh, my," Maisie commented. "Aren't you a woman of the world!"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
11. Girl, Interrupting

 

"Can we conference Susan in?" I asked Maisie.

"No," she replied. "Her parents don't let her use the phone."

"They don't let her use the phone at all?"

"No. She's never called me, and I only called her once. And that was a mistake!"

"Why was it a mistake?"

"Well, one time there was this party at school... it was a school thing, so her parents were going to let her go. I couldn't remember what time the party started, so I called Susan to ask her."

"And?"

"And she was grounded!"

"What!?"

"She couldn't go to the party."

"Because you called her?"

"Yes! Isn't that crazy? I guess they figured we were planning something bad. I don't know."

"Wow!"

"Yes, it's very wow. I felt like a jerk when I found out. So never, never call her."

"That makes absolutely no sense!"

"I told you: her family is super strict. So, what were you telling me?"

I'd almost completely forgotten! With all Maisie's interruptions... What did I want to tell Maisie? "Oh, right! When my mother and I were walking home from school–"

"Wait! Your mother walked you home from school!?" Maisie giggled. "Did she make you hold her hand when you crossed the street?"

"Oh, uh," I fumbled. The wrongness of my mother coming hadn't hit me until then. It *did* sound as if I was in third grade. "I guess I didn't think about it because there weren't any boys around."

"Oh, my," Maisie commented. "Aren't you a woman of the world!"

"ANYWAY," I continued, trying to get back to the point, "she was all gushing about Honororia, and wanted to know everything about my day–"

"Everything!? You didn't tell her everything did you? You didn't tell her anything about *me*, did you?"

Oh, lord! Maisie was so paranoid! "No, just harmless stuff. Nothing about you."

"Good! Be careful! Remember: anything you say to your mom will get repeated to mine. And I don't want mine to know anything. I wish she didn't need to know where I live."

"I get it," I said. "Don't worry. I won't even tell her I know you! ANYWAY–"

"Quit saying 'anyway', Marcie. Just tell the story."

"Okay! The thing is, I realized that she's reliving her high school years through me."

"Who?"

"My mother!"

"Oh, yuck!"

"I thought it was kind of cute. I mean, a little weird, and maybe a little creepy, but cute."

Maisie was silent for a few moments. Then she said, "I tend to forget that all mothers aren't like mine."

"Yeah, sorry."

"It's okay."

The conversation was exhausting and a little frustrating. It was so much work! All those distractions and detours! The only thing I wanted to tell her about was Mom's vicarious second childhood. I'd never seen my mother so excited and happy... I just wanted to talk about it with somebody my age.

In retrospect I could see how it would creep Maisie out. It was a little strange to me, too, but I guess that's what mothers do. Maybe it was behind her wanting to decorate my bedroom, too.

Maisie asked some questions about my dress-code punishment back in Tierson. She wanted to know how many days of detention I had, and did I think I was fated for detention and so on. I answered her questions — with many interruptions on her part.

After I hung up, I went to the kitchen. My feet were dragging. The call had worn me out!

Mom had just finished getting dinner ready, so I set the table while she put some things in the sink. Dad wasn't home yet.

"Mom?"

"Yes?"

"I was just on the phone with Maisie... Do girls always interrupt each other when they talk?"

She laughed. "Maybe you don't notice..."

"Oh, I do not!"

Mom put one index finger on the end of her nose and pointed at me with the other, laughing.

"No!"

"You just interrupted me, Marcie! You do it all the time! Ask your father if you don't believe me!"

"I never!" I protested. "There is no way I interrupt like Maisie does! You never heard her!"

"I hear you two in the car in the morning. Neither of you ever finish a sentence."

"No, that's you and Ida," I countered.

"Oh, Marcie," she began, but her smile burst into a laugh.

I scoffed, but she kept on laughing. I wasn't really offended, but I was a little miffed.

I turned my back to her, but she came over and hugged me from behind. I shook my shoulders as a gentle hint for her to get off me.

"You know, you're a lot more fun as a girl," she teased. She started playing with my hair, so I shook my head and walked to the cabinet where the glasses were.

In the midst of my irritation, I had a sudden thought: Mom was in a good mood, so it seemed like a good time to ask my big question. I gave it a shot: "Mom, do you and Dad ever talk about my getting... the operation?"

"Yes, we do. You do want to get it, don't you?"

"I wish I could get it tomorrow!" I declared. Her eyebrows went up.

"I'm glad you're so sure," she said cautiously, "but there are a couple of things to consider..."

"Like?"

"See? You interrupted me again."

"Mom!" I groaned.

"ANYWAY," she said (in exactly the same way as I said it to Maisie), "it's an operation, so you'll need four to six weeks to recover. That means it has to happen in the summer. You can't miss that much school."

"Oh," I said in a small voice.

"AND, you're supposed to wait until you're eighteen. I've spent a lot of time talking to Mr. Marks about this–"

"You have?"

She nodded. "You've gone so far, we thought it might to be possible to make it happen sooner..."

"Do you think it could happen next summer?"

She went white before she said, "We'll see," in a quiet tone, so I figured I ought to drop the subject for now. I guess she could handle the idea of it, but not as an imminent reality.

I turned back to the glasses, and after what I thought was a discrete pause, told her about Mrs. Wix reading the Yeats poem. It was just about the only thing that happened at school that I hadn't already told her.

She didn't say anything, so I snuck a look at her. Changing the subject didn't seem to be working, because she still looked a little freaked.

Just then my cell phone rang. I ran into the bedroom to get it. It was Trevor Means!

"Of course I remember you," I said, smiling, "And no, you're not interrupting dinner."

"Ah, that's good, at least," he said.

He sounded even sexier on the phone than he had in person, but he didn't sound happy at all.


After I put the phone down, Dad arrived, and a few minutes later the three of us were sitting around the table.

"I have some news," I announced. "Bad news for me, but good news for you."

Mom turned to look at me, and Dad raised his eyebrows.

"Trevor Means called to say that he can't go out with me."

Dad frowned and Mom gave me a questioning look.

"Apparently his mother noted his interest in me," I said, echoing Trevor's words, "and she told him that if he was dating the daughter of one of her employees, it could create complications in the workplace."

"Ah," Dad said in a careful tone.

"You don't have to pretend you're not glad," I told them both. To tell the truth, I wasn't all that upset — I was disappointed, yes — but I felt like pouting a little.

"I'm not glad," Dad told me. "Relieved is more the word. At the same time, I'm sorry for you."

"I'm not glad either," Mom said. "It's just that your life is so complicated... and a boyfriend just–"

"I know, I know," I said, a little testily.

"Oh, that reminds me," Mom said, smiling a little. "Marcie asked me whether girls interrupt a lot."

Dad chuckled, so I rolled my eyes dramatically.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is great.....

KevSkegRed's picture

..... Kaleigh I'm loving this story, this chapter was so believable and I'm glad Marcie's parents have obviously accepted her decision to transition. She seems to be moving along nicely with the help of Maisie. Keep up the good work, shame about Trevor but she has plenty of time for boys in the future.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Marcie's Reputation Has Followed Her It Seems

Why else would she have so many "complications?" Poor girl, but I agree that having a boyfriend would be a bit much at her age. Now she is learning all about being a girl. from Maisie and her Mom.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Cute, Kaleigh

Marcie has turned pretty darned cute, Kaleigh. Perhaps
it's BYHS. Good chapter.

Sarah Lynn

I understand that it's not just girls...

... that interupt. Grown ups do to... So do boys - specially if you're not talking about something they want to hear.

Being a good listener, and refraining from interupting is a skill that must be nurtured and worked on. Some folks get it, but I think some never do. (I think some only appear to get it, and are just polite enough to take their turns "me" talking. *sighs*)

Interesting episode. It certainly sounds like Maisie could learn from Marcie. I still think Marcie's parents are AMAIZING!

Thanks, Annette

The interuption thing.

Men interupting women are the worst of all. It is the most frustrating thing for me to get used to. I am in a new location and almost no one knows about me and they aren't telling.

They do know about my technical expertise, since in the US it is acceptable for a woman to know engineering and electrical things. The other day, I was invited to a meeting between the MEN of the church and some outside contractors who want to fix the lighting dimmer pack.

It was frustrating and angering that the men tried to ignore me and often talked right over me. I felt like someone's little sister. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Later when I attempted to grouse about it to one of the other women, she was quite unsympathetic at my plight. she talked to me as if I did not stop complaining, she was going to tape my mouth!

Well, actually, I did ask for it didn't I?

Gwen

marcies mother

its a good chapter and its funny. It made me laugh out out.
I dont know what the heck is going on with her mother. She is very strange. I still cant overlook her blaming her daughter for the mess she got in. and then how she responded to sister and saying she needed beaten.
There is something wrong with her mother

No one wanted to beat anyone

I hope you realize that no one ever wanted to beat anyone in this story.

When Marcie first met Sister Honoraria, Marcie said that she thought the nun wanted to beat her.

She was using rather typical teenage exaggeration. What she meant was that she found the nun to be overly strict. That's all.

If she'd been a proper young lady, she would have said, "Mumsy, didn't that woman seem just a tad strict?"

BUT, being a typical American teenager, she used a crazy, overblown, overly emotional picture to try to render the idea.

That's why her mother *ignored* Marcie's remark and went back to the "virtuous and ladylike behavior." (And *I* thought the way Mrs. Donner ran over Marcie's remark was funny. I never thought anyone would take what Marcie said there seriously!) Marcie's picture of the nun beating her with a cane in the basement was absurd, over the top.

If Marcie *really* believed what she said, she never would have gone back to the school. Her mother NEVER would allow her to undergo abuse from the school, regardless of what anyone's said in a comment.

If her mother HADN'T ignored the remark, it would have gone like this:

Mother: Oh, Marcie nobody wanted to beat you!

Marcie: Well, she *acted* like it!

Mother: No she didn't, why, that virtuous, etc.

yea

i understand no body wanted to beat her. her callous remark, 'thats what you need' bothers me.

except that

That's not what her mother said.

except that

Mom huffed, irritated. "This is exactly what you need, Marcie," she said. "Virtuous and ladylike behavior. You need to learn that. And if she's a little strict, it won't kill you."

oh

ok sorry. Now i reread the chapter and the part in question i see i made an error. I misinterpreted and misread it. 'This is what you need' i thought she referred to the beating with a cane. instead of the present situation with the Sister.
I feel dumb now :(

I guess to the average person

... with a halfway civilized childhood, it would seem absurd and over the top. I took it as written. I spent from age 5 to age 14 being daily beaten by my grandmother for mostly imagined and invented crimes. Example: When the ambient outside temperature is around -40 degrees (either Celsius or Fahrenheit -- same temp) it is impossible to leave footprints in the mud. However... there were footprints in the mud. Nevermind that they were HALF the size of my foot (but exactly the size of my little sister's -- her favourite grandchild). So I was slapped for lying. Kicked when I fell down for "not standing up to my punishment" and when I rolled under the car to get away from her, I was hauled out by the hair of my head and beaten with a two-by-four. Then I was sent inside, because, "crybabies that can't take their punishment don't get to leave the house."

So.

Being beaten with a cane by a nun didn't seem all that out of place to me.

so sad

thats so sad and im sorry that happened to you

Well, now I understand...

I guess I will have to go back and change it. I'm still thinking about it, though.

In my own mind, there's only one person in this story who is truly evil -- aside from the people who've already been arrested.

When I saw the way that Mrs. Donner was being taken as a monster, I figured, but couldn't think of any polite way to say, that some of the commenters must have had terrible experiences with their mothers.

I'm sorry that life was so harsh for so many of you, and I don't mean to open old wounds.

Sometimes I don't understand, and many times I've found the comments bewildering... now at least I get why so many of you were so down on Mrs. Donner.

Beatings

I didn't quite go through what edeyn described here, but I can understand her point of view quite well. For seven years, my adoptive father beat me daily with a belt, usually twenty to thirty hard strokes, eventually it became fifty or more and sometimes two or three beatings a day, all of these for extremely minor things, and in some cases, for no reason at all other than to show his dominance over me.

If one of the other kids did the exact same thing, whatever it might have been, they received a verbal lashing, and on extremely RARE occasions, MAYBE five or so strokes from the belt, but not with the intensity with which I was beaten.

I was also told off or even beaten again many times because I cried after the beatings, he demanded that I "man up", "take it like a man". The winter and spring that I turned 14, I wore long sleeves and full pants all day long, even for gym, so people wouldn't see the bruises.

Three months after I turned 14, I realized I had had enough. One day, when he was about to beat me again, I looked up at him and told him that if he beat me one more time, I would kill him. He realized that I truly meant it, and avoided me like the plague for the thirteen months that I was still living in that house, while working to have me put back into the Children's Aid, blaming me for everything.

I've stayed away from that bastard for 35 years, because I hate him so much that merely seeing him might push me over the edge.

:-))

Kaleigh, you made me laugh again. Hugs

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

Big smile!

Too funny, too real! Interruption is definitely a speech pattern that some excel in more than others & it's hilarious to see Marcie's awareness of this dawning....

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

girls interrupt a lot?

gee, maybe I really am a tomboy

DogSig.png