What Maisie Knew: 36. Not A Bad Guy

Printer-friendly version

"Hoo, boy," I said. "You got the wrong girl!"

"I'm SO sure," he said sarcastically.

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
36. Not A Bad Guy

 

There were two men: one driving the van and the other, the one who'd grabbed me. He took my phone, turned it off, and dropped it into my purse, which he tossed aside.

As soon as he did that, something clicked inside me. I had to move. I had to get away.

He was still behind me, and I was almost on my back, so I brought up my left leg as hard as I could and kicked him in the face with my shin. It hurt a lot, but from the way he cursed, I was pretty sure it hurt him more than it hurt me. I looked around me for something heavy to throw, but the only thing I found was a roll of duct tape, so I grabbed it and threw it as hard as I could at the back of the driver's head.

"Ow!" he shouted, and the van swerved. The tires squealed and we pitched to the right for a few moments, until the driver got the van back under control. He called to his accomplice, "Tie her up! Keep her quiet back there!"

Quiet? I hadn't thought of that. I opened my mouth and let out the loudest, highest scream I had. I jumped to my feet and turned to face my abductor, who (surprisingly) had his hands over his ears. I balled up my fists and started pounding on his head with all my might, and kicked him as much as I could without falling down. It was hard to do any of this in the back of a moving vehicle, but I began to feel that I was getting the better of him, and my hopes were high of getting away.

That is, until the driver slammed on the brakes.

I fell forward, hurting my hip, and narrowly missed banging my head on the wheel well. I heard the driver scrabbling as he fished for the roll of tape I'd thrown. One he had it in hand, he jumped into the back. I bit and fought and shrieked and cursed and struggled and squirmed, but in the end the two of them were too strong for me. Soon I was trussed up and had a piece of duct tape over my mouth.

That done, the driver got back behind the wheel and resumed driving.

A few minutes later, we pulled into a garage-like building and stopped. When they opened the side door, I saw that we were right up against another van, whose side door was already open. I was clumsily lifted into it by the man who'd grabbed me, while the driver gave a careful look around the first van. He picked up my purse, some cigarette butts and some other trash, which he tossed into the new van. Then he slid the door shut, climbed behind the wheel, and we were off again.

Now that we'd changed vehicles and I was settled, the driver took it easy. He drove slowly, without any haste or hurry. No doubt, he wanted to avoid attracting attention. I couldn't hear any people outside, pedestrians or other cars, so there was little point in kicking up some noise.

The man in back with me lit a cigarette. It was noxious, stinky, and stale smelling, but while he and the driver relaxed, I tried to consider my options.

This van was even dirtier and older than the other one, and there was a old, filthy, oil-stained curtain behind the front seats. There was no chance that anyone could see me from the outside. And no one would be looking for me in this van: the police would be looking for the white one... which was probably stolen in the first place. So, unless the driver did something stupid to make the police stop us, I couldn't expect any help from outside.

As far as getting myself free, I doubted that I could get out of the tape. At least, not any time soon. If they left me alone, I'd try... probably I could find something, some sharp edge that could rip the tape, at least a little, and get a tear started. In the meantime, while they were with me, it was better to be quiet, to let them think I'd given up... that I was docile... maybe they'd think it was safe to take the tape off.

So... where were they taking me? I couldn't see through the back windows. They were a translucent milky-white. I had no clue as to where we were. I didn't know the area anyway. I couldn't hear anything but traffic sounds, the noise of the van engine, and the bumps we drove over.

I'd gotten several good looks at both men, and mentally tried to compose a description. The one in back with me was bald, and the other had medium brown hair... they could be brothers... the driver would have to be the older brother. They were average height, average weight, average build... what a crappy description! I'd have to work on that.

It struck me how calm I felt. Maybe this was why so many strange things happened to me... my first reaction was never fear or panic... Susan was like this in ordinary life, but I guess I'm cool in a crisis... and this qualified as a crisis.

Soon the traffic sounds died away, and I figured it might be safe to try to talk with the bald guy. I needed to find out what was going on. Why had they taken me? It didn't make sense, especially when you considered how they'd switched vans. This was an organized effort; it wasn't a casual, opportunistic thing.

Lying still, and with as calm a face as I could manage, I made muffled sounds at him. I didn't know what to say, so I just made noises, hoping he'd be curious. He looked at me a bit, then a light seemed to go on. He said, "Oh, I get it! You want a smoke!"

My first reaction was yuck! no! but then I figured, if it gets this tape off my mouth, sure! so I nodded my head enthusiastically.

He fished in my purse, which confused me for a moment. "Looks like you're all out," he sighed. "I'll give you one of mine, but you can't make a habit of it. Maybe we can pick your brand up later."

The van was moving more slowly now and bouncing much more. We were probably on a dirt road or a old road, but in any case it was a bad road. My head banged against the bare metal floor.

"Hey, sorry!" the driver called. "Big pothole!"

The bald one knelt down and took hold of the tape on my face. Before he took it off, he cautioned me: "If you scream, no one's going to hear you anyway, but I will slap you as hard as I can. Do you understand? No screaming. It goes right to my nerves."

I nodded, and he ripped the tape off.

Oooch! It hurt! It took all I could do to not scream. I screwed my eyes and mouth shut as tight as I could, and stiffened my entire body. Ow! Jeez! Ow! On TV it never looks like it hurts! Thank God I was wearing lip gloss! Otherwise I'm sure the tape would have ripped chunks off my lips.

When the pain passed, I ran my tongue over my lips to check them. They didn't feel damaged. I worked my jaw around a bit. "Did the tape mark my face?" I asked.

He smiled. "You've got a little of the sticky stuff on you, where the, uh, edges were. That's all." He pointed to his cheek, to show where the tape was on mine.

Then he put a filterless cigarette in my mouth and lit it. Remembering my first experience with Maisie, I was careful to not inhale. I just puffed.

He watched me and laughed. "Kids!" he said. "Pretending to smoke."

"Can you let my hands go?" I asked, and as I did the cigarette slipped down toward the corner of my mouth, dangling dangerously. I was afraid it might fall into my clothes.

He clenched his own cigarette with his lips as he spoke. "No funny stuff," he said, and I nodded. After straightening the cigarette in my mouth, he sat me up, and with a few rips freed my arms. I leaned back against the wheel well and took the cigarette out of my mouth. My legs were still taped together. For a moment, I felt like a mermaid.

"So what is this about?" I asked. "What's the big idea?"

His first reaction was a startled "What?" — as if he had no idea what I was talking about. Then, getting it: "Oh! Oh, yeah, yeah!" He rubbed his hands together. "Your daddy's gonna pay a big bucks to get you back! That's the idea. Big bucks! We're gonna be rich!" He chuckled with joy and rubbed his thumb against his fingers: money.

Daddy? Big bucks? There was no way my father could pay a... My jaw fell as the realization hit me, and it hit me hard.

Oh, my God! They thought I was Maisie!

"Hoo, boy," I said. "You got the wrong girl!"

"I'm SO sure," he said sarcastically.

I took another puff of the cigarette, and with an effort managed to keep from coughing. Cigarettes don't smell good anyway, but these stank in a way that was exotically, particularly foul. "What kind of cigarettes are these?" I asked him.

"Gauloise," he said proudly. "Do you like them?"

"I guess it's an acquired taste," I replied, which struck him as funny.

He laughed with a strange, simple delight, and actually slapped his knee. I guess that was good for me.

I told him, "You know something? You don't seem like a bad guy."

"You're right. I'm not a bad guy. I'm a nice guy."

"No, no, I don't mean that way. I mean 'bad guy' as in 'crook'."

"Oh, I getcha! A bad guy: black hat, sinister, evil. No, no, that's not us! This is just a little job, a good opportunity. Easy money, lots of money, and nobody gets hurt."

I gave him a disbelieving look.

He scoffed and said, "What, you? Nobody's hurt you, have they?"

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
155 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Glad to See...

...that Marcie did get one escape attempt in.

How much do these kidnappers know about Maisie? Obviously they don't know what she looks like, but were they told (1) that she smokes and/or (2) that she'd probably be friendly to anyone who stole her from her mother -- as long as she didn't have to go back to her father. I'm inclined to doubt that either one is the case, but it's not impossible...

Looking forward to next time.

Eric

Well, I Have To Admit it, We Never Saw This Coming

You have given us the slip and gone in a direction that we never even considered. Thanks for giving us more than we bargained for.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Good and the Bad

Frank's picture

Chapter was good, somewhat informative as to who Mr Big is...

Having said that...it was also WAY TO SHORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(: [moping]

Great bedtime readin as always my Lady...[curtsy]

Huggles :)

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

These guys...

erin's picture

...remind me of the rep-company bit actors who played the bad guys in all the old Superman tv shows in the fifties. :)

Tense but still funny. :)

I suppose a simple description of Maisie and Marcie might sound a lot alike. While Maisie is skinny, Marcie is slim and I think they both have dark hair. Most people aren't any better at describing someone than Marcie was here.

Good stuff. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Hear hear Erin

Descriptions are a tricky business.

We have frequent re-training on it at the bank and it ain't easy. I mean we get alerts from banks that were robbed or cased and it's black male, 5ft 8 to six foot, 150 to 225 lbs medium build 20 to 40 yrs. Tan coat, dark pants, baseball cap. Old model fourdoor sedan, maybe tan.

What kind of description is that?

I loved how Marcie realized how bad her first description was. Odd, I go the impression these jerks were not sent by the dad as they seem to think he would pay for her. Sounds more like the cop telling some minor criminal friends of his. Still some potential for harm to her if she see's someone she recognizes, such as tha cop.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Eyewitnesses can suck

Sometimes, having an eyewitness to a crime is actually worse than no witness at all. People tend to tell what they think they saw, rather than what they actually saw. Been lots of research on this, it's a classic psych class experiment. Stage a stunt in the classroom in front of the students, then give them five or ten minutes to write down what they saw. Descriptions of the event will be all over the place. I don't know what John has been taught, but many clerks and tellers are told to look for something unique, a mole, a scar something like that. After all, being sure that a guy is 5'8", medium build, clean-shaven with short brown hair, wearing blue jeans and a blue windbreaker doesn't do a whole lot of good. But if you can say "The guy had a scar under his right eye about an inch long," NOW that's something to use!

Marcie has had time now to study her kidnappers, and that's not good. They're not trying to hide or disguise their appearance, bad sign.

Come on, Misty!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Of Thugs And Villains

There was something stolid and dependable about the generic thugs on the old "Superman". They were simple, a bit crass, but sort of amiable.

The question here, though, is if we put any stock in Marcie's psychic, and she's been very much on the mark (pun unintended) so far, this caper has been masterminded by some male adult that Marcie has met before. She's never met these two, nor does it seem the father is involved, not if he's the mark (pun unintended again, honest!) for the payoff.

Sooo... Who has set up Maisie, and snared Marcie instead? Someone who knows thugs, knows the local residents, craves money, is an opportunist, feels secure in breaking the law, and has limited ethics at best. This is starting to sound a bit like our "favorite" local policeman.

Not necessarily

Edeyn It would seem like the unscrupulous type of thing that Maisie's dad was totally capable of doing. She's kidnapped, he pays a ransom to himself (giving his hired thugs their 'cut' of it), then uses it as ammunition for a new custody trial with a new judge he's likely already bought off so that the ruling keeping him from touching the trust fund is overturned. This puts Maisie into a life of nannies and such, and having to be near her creep of a father. He could have involved the nun's cop brother by asking him for some trustworthy guys that wouldn't hurt his daughter (pretending concern) and stage a kidnapping so he could have his daughter. The cop is just the sort to buy into that kind of crap, whether it's meant or not.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

I was thinking the two mobsters...

... in the stage version of "Kiss Me, Kate!"... The ones that do the duet "Brush Up Your Shakespere"...

Annette

Misty to the rescue

If a certain ghost can just think about a person and be there ...

It might be also wise for Marcie to have Misty clue in Marcie's mother that not only is Masie in on the deception (re: Mark's past) but is being a real bitch about it.
Also a good time to trot out a trial balloon about the accidental double orchidectomy being the cause of Mark's condition.

Double orchi not so unusual.

In my 39 years of being married to a career RN, I was told of the wrong hand, foot or perfectly healthy organ being removed all too often.

So, this Orchi is just so plausable to me, having seen the rest.

If my memory serves me right, Marcie was already exhibiting signs of Transgenderisim before the screw up. It's not that much of a fantasy to me.

Really even in the case of someone Mark(cie)s age?

Frank's picture

They did the Appendectomy, AND performed a castration at the same time? Not to mention the mother signing off on a form allowing it to happen...? It seems much more likely the wrong hand or foot than them doing additional work like castrating a child in for appendicitis.

Huggles!!

Alexis

P.S. Just an aside to Kaleigh, as we have discussed in PM LOVE the story and look forward to it each morning before going to bed. (Such is the life of a Vampire) :)

Hugs

Frank

Implausible, but important to the storyline of Part 2

My own mother is 71, a practicing R.N., and still comes apart if it is family. She would sign confessions for the last couple of dozen unsolved murders in the area if they put them in front of her at that time.
That part is completely believable, to me at least.
The two most common complete oops type mistakes that the surgery department makes, are mirror errors and somebody else's surgery.
So, somebody else had a double orchidectomy scheduled who could be mistaken for a high school freshman (a freshman boy who was small enough to be believable as a freshman girl)
Hmmm, what is wrong with this picture.
I would wonder if dear old Aunt Jane, R.N.(and with enough seniority to get mostly day shifts in California so figure at least 15 years), didn't "help" Marcie out by making up another set of surgical authorization paperwork made to look like a mistake and get dear old Mom to sign off when she knew just how frantic and discombobulated mom was going to be.

P.S.actually anytime after the snip that they figured out a mistake had been made they would just go back in and do the appendectomy to avoid Mark's death of a ruptured appendix so that part is not particularly unlikely

Well that's it

I've finally caught up and now I have to wait for the next ep.

Darn!

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Ho boy... As folks speculated...

A mixed snatch. Perhaps due to less malice and aforthought (well, apparently SOME forthought was involved) and more to opportunity. I mean Maisie's the one with the rich dad (who doesn't want her, or so she claims).

Marcie's got some "doing" to convince them they have the wrong girl.

Don't tell me Ida aranged the kidnapping, so SHE could pay the ransom when the rich daddy wouldn't, then they "goons" give Ida the $ back, and get their pay? Nah. Tooo convoluted.

Well, I'm looking forward to seeing tomorrow's installment.

Annette

If Ida had set it up ...

... you could be certain that Masie's schedule would be correct.

Marcie shouldn't have that rough a time of proving she is not Masie. In today's world, even kids have school I.D. cards, and her purse was grabbed as well.

He picked up my purse, some cigarette butts and some other trash, which he tossed into the new van.

Unless Kaleigh decides she hadn't gotten one school I.D. yet or something like that.