What Maisie Knew: 39. Dead Like Me

Printer-friendly version

Her brow wrinkled. She looked hurt and offended, and she started to fade away.

Alarmed, I said, "No, no! Misty, don't go anywhere!"

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
39. Dead Like Me

 

"But she was with her mother," the driver protested. "The car was right, the school was right, the mother was right."

"Yeah," the bald one added. "The blonde mommy picked up her at school. They hugged!"

"The Beale girl and a friend did some sort of mom-swap this weekend," the new voice explained. "You grabbed the friend."

"What are you talking about? What the hell is a mom-swap?"

"It doesn't matter. What *does* matter is that you got the wrong girl!"

"Maybe her parents will pay–"

"Nothing like the Beale girl's parents. They're beyond rich."

"So, who is this one?"

"That, I don't know. Let's go see."

"How could you not know? I mean, you're a–"

"Quiet!" the voice commanded. "Little ears can hear."

"Huh?" the bald one asked. Then, "Oh, oh, I get it! The girl has little ears."

I heard a loud sigh from the third man.

Three sets of footsteps climbed the stairs and stopped in front of my door. "Wait a minute," the new voice said, "let me get this mask on," and some fumbling followed.

I backed into the corner farthest from the door and picked up a half-empty water bottle. It was my only defense. At worst, I could use it as club to hit them with.

As I clutched the bottle to my chest, I realized there was plaster and other dirt on my hands and arms, but at the moment it didn't matter.

The key turned in the lock and the door opened. A tall, broad-shouldered figure in a ski mask ducked through the doorway and stepped inside. The moment I saw him, I knew who he was, mask or no mask: the voice, the way he talked... everything clicked.

A wave of gooseflesh shot all the way from my hips to my ears. My heart was pounding before, but now it went into overdrive.

"You!" he and I cried in the same moment.

It was Sister Honororia's brother, the policeman.

I was horrified. I was trembling. There was no worse person for him to be. No one on earth. The two of us gaped at each other in silence. He knew who I was, and he knew that I knew who he was.

He swore, stepped out of the room, and locked it.


It was the worst, most blackest moment of my life. I hope I am never that frightened, ever again. My mind went entirely blank, and I crawled on hands and knees to the door to listen. I didn't even remember getting down on the floor.

It sounded like the men had stopped halfway down the stairs to argue.

"... You two have to disappear!" the policeman was saying.

"With what money?" the driver shouted. "We don't have any money to go anywhere! That's why we did this job! If we had money, we wouldn't have broken the law!"

"Money or no money, you two are out of here! Don't you get it? This has gone as badly as it can go, and we have to cut our losses NOW."

"What about the girl?" the bald one asked. "Do we let her go?"

"Are you kidding?" the policeman scoffed. "She knows who I am. She can identify me. She has to go!"

"You mean, go with us?" the bald one asked. "I'm not dragging a kid along!"

"What, are you stupid? I'm not asking you to adopt her! I'm telling you we have to kill her! There are two shovels out back. Go to the woods and dig a deep hole. As deep as you can. Deeper than six feet, if possible."

"I'm not killing anyone, especially a kid," the driver said. "Frank isn't either. We didn't sign up for that. We won't let you kill her, either."

"And why are there two shovels out back?" the bald one shouted. "You were going to kill her all along, weren't you?"

"SHUT THE HELL UP!" the policeman shouted.
 

Suddenly I was aware of a presence next to me. A cute, smiling, pony-tailed head... It was Misty! She was imitating me, crouched down on hands and knees. Of course, she was wearing her workout clothes, and her ponytail hung straight down behind her.

"Misty!" I cried. I was never so glad to see anyone! I tried to hug her, but although she looked solid, my hands passed right through her body.

"Hi," she said, smiling brightly. "I missed you, too! I was wondering where you were. Why are we on hands and knees? Are you playing some kind of game?"

"No, Misty! It's not a game! I've been kidnapped! Can you tell my mother where I am?"

She looked confused. "No...," she said. "I can't. I don't know where you are! I just thought of you and then I was here. We could be anywhere for all I know. But I can tell her you're okay."

If I could grab her, I would have shaken her. "Misty, I'm not okay! Can't you get it?"

Her brow wrinkled. She looked hurt and offended, and she started to fade away.

Alarmed, I said, "No, no! Misty, don't go anywhere!"

When she first appeared, crouching next to me, she looked as real as I am. Now she was half-transparent. I could still see her, but I could also see the room behind her, through her. The thought of losing her frightened me, but it also gave me an idea.

"Misty! Misty, listen: Can you get me out of here? Can you make me pass through the door? Can you make me invisible?"

She shook her head sadly. "No. Sorry. No offense, but you're too big. I can only do that with little stuff, like pens and papers and things. And even that's hard."

My mind was racing. "Okay! Listen: My purse is just outside, in a van parked out front. Can you go down and get it for me? Or at least get me my cell phone?"

"Yeah, I think so," she said uncertainly. For some reason, it didn't sound as though she wanted to. "Why can't you get it yourself?"

Was she being deliberately stupid? I couldn't understand what was going on with her. "Misty, I've been kidnapped. I'm locked in this horrible room. This is like a prison cell. I can't get out."

She looked around, taking in the room, her lips wrinkling in distaste. "Why would anybody kidnap you?" she asked.

"Because they think I'm Maisie."

"But Maisie's at your house."

"I know. We did the mom swap again."

"Why would they kidnap Maisie?"

I bit my lip. This was going nowhere fast, but I had to humor her: she was my only hope.

"Maisie's father is rich. They figure he'll pay a huge ransom."

"Won't he pay a ransom for you?"

"No. Why would he?"

"Won't your father pay?"

"We don't have the kind of money they want."

"Hmmph," she said, and seemed to be thinking.

I couldn't wait any longer for her to connect the dots. I burst out, "Misty, please! Go get my phone! You have to help me! I need your help! These guys want to kill me, do you understand? They have shovels out back — they're going to dig a hole and murder me! You're my only hope. You're the only one who can help me. There is no one else!"

I was begging her, but she wasn't reacting at all. I wasn't getting through, and couldn't understand why.

She hesitated, sucked her lips in, and sat down on the floor, crossing her legs. She was calm and quiet. She didn't look at me, and she wasn't smiling any more.

Then Misty tilted her head to one side and looked me in the face.

"Marcie," she said softly. "I know this is hard for you... but if they kill you, you'll be dead, like me. Being dead's not so bad... Once you get used to it, anyway. And I can help you with that! We'll be friends – better friends than we are now. And you could still talk to your mother."

Her face had a serious, unsmiling set, but just under the surface her quiet excitement rippled and simmered, like a fever.

"Think of the fun things we could do together, Marcie! All kinds of cool, spooky things!"

Her eyes were the biggest they'd ever been, and her face lit up with an unearthly smile. She looked like a child, dreaming of Christmas morning, and the one gift she wanted — the one she wanted most of all — was a ghostly playfriend just like me.

"Oh, my God," I whispered.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
156 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A delightful and obvious twist ...

... when you come to think of it. That's the clever thing; Kayleigh thought of the obvious and I didn't. In Misty's ghostly mind death's not such a bad option - in fact it's quite fun and perhaps a lot more fun with a friend in the same state.

Very entertaining. Thanks

Geoff

What A Twist

Now Marcie had best hope for miracle.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A great twist in the story

And I can see Misty's point. Of course Marcie isn't quite ready for that and I suspect that Super Marcie will find a way out of the situation. I'm just glad this isn't Friday's episode.

To get into the spirit . . .

Oh hang on, I've done this before.

Well Marcie doesn't stand a ghost of a chance does she?

I shall be on tenterhooks until tomorrow now . . .

Good one Kaleigh

:)

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Beyond Tomorrow

Oh, Nick, Nick, Nick...

Are you forgetting? Tomorrow is Friday. Don't you remember what that means? Cliffhanger Day!

No, there's little chance of Marcie getting out of this mess until Monday, at the earliest. As for tomorrow, omg, how can things get very much worse than they are now? But, they will...

The FBI handles kidnappings, not the local police. Assuming it's been reported to them, and the aid of the cellphone company has been elicited, and there's a tower somewhere in range, theoretically all Misty has to do is go push the "on" button on the phone and they would have a fix in minutes.

Unless . . .

The phone is already on.

Then the question becomes . . . has Marcie's mum been given the heads-up?

Ooh, I just love this speculation.

NB

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

The Phone !

No! Remember the bad guys shut it off?

OnE OdD ThInG is that when I have travelled, even if I shut if "OFF", the battery still goes dead, and I think it goes dead faster when it is shut off. So, if that is happening, then what is the evil empire making it do when it is off?

So, maybe it is not off at all!

Many police cars have GPS locators on them now, so the Mayor can find all the good coffee shops. (Shades, this from an X gum shoe) ! Sooo, maybe they already know where Marcie is because they tracked the cop up there.

She's not going to let her die right?

Woman ! you can't leave me hanging like this!

It could be worse

This could have been the ending of TOMORROW'S installment.

Almost as Fun

Reading the comments and wild speculation about what might happen is almost as fun as reading the the story. I still say the chapters need to be longer.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Captive of your desires

Geez, just wearing tight jeans makes me captive of my desires. :) Giggle.

Don't worry...

...she'll have an equally frustrating cliff hanger for us tomorrow.

Love,

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Paula

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

The Coda
Chapterhouse: Dune

Something I remember

A few chapters back, Kaleigh said Misty's inability to change her outfit was a key point. So Marcie tells Misty, "If I die now I'll be stuck for eternity in this nasty, dirty, school uniform; and I'll never talk to you again!"

Gotta think like a girl!

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Another possibility

... is that she has to come clean that she is trans and would you want to go through eternity THAT WAY ?!!!!

One final possibility is that Misty has to be convinced that she can justice for her own death only if Marcie stays alive.

Oh dear, it is only about 12 hours from the time of this comment to the next episode ... tick - tock - tick - tock ....

Kim

Wouldn't Be Caught Dead

Great argument: can't be dead in the school uniform. Help me get out to my purse and change first! Then, dive for the phone.

I wonder?

If Marcie was killed while wearing the school uniform, would Sister Honoria get God to give Marcie detention?

Karen J.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Nice one Karen

KevSkegRed's picture

One thing everyone has overlooked is the fact that the kidnappers have refused to kill Marcie and won't let the cop do it either. That should buy her enough time to put Karen's idea into practice.

Now maybe Misty is winding her up, she might already have alerted Marcie's mother as to her whereabouts. Maybe Misty can hide the shovels too just to be on the safe side.

Still loving this story Kaleigh.

Kev [Ρĥàńŧāśĩ»ßő™], Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

KevSkegRed, Skeg Vegas, England, UK.

Ah, but you've overlooked one thing . . .

Misty doesn't actually know where Marcie is.

She said she just thought about Marcie and wound up with her, though where that is, she doesn't have a clue.

I still think the reversing into the cops car is the best plan, but then I always was a bit gung-ho!

NB

B)

Jessica
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Also...

Edeyn Cops have guns. The other two will just get themselves shot and buried along with her.

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

As much fun as ....

.... the TV series. Pity it only lasted a few seasons.

Oh, wow!

This is such a great story! I come looking for it every day. The twists are simply amazing.

Thanks for sharing.

Just needs to tell her

"... if they murder me, I'll hate you forever for not helping me!"

Waitaminnit!

Edeyn Misty said she didn't die from diet pills. Sister Honoria was principal back then, too. The Sabatinos were well off. Could the cop bother (okay, brother) be repeating a crime he committed years ago?

Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? No, wait, that was God... Sorry, common mistake to make...

Karen, Edeyn, you are on to something

Misty needs to be told, "If I die because you refused to help me when I pleaded for it I will never ever be your playmate and I will do everything I can to get you sent to Hell, bitch!"

Remember Misty was a Catholic, Marcie is not.

I suspect the cop killed Misty in error, wanting to kill Maise, *mark I* instead but the wrong girl took the pills. Maybe he twisted things after the fact to make Mrs Wix suspect Mrs Overton(?) the future french teacher of goading Maisie into taking the pills thus deflecting suspicion and breaking them up.

If it was poison or a massive overdose by switched high dose pills, some drugs could persist in the corpse depending on how she was buried or in samples were taken and preseved but never tested. What if Marcie is rescued and they find massive amounts of arsenic in Misty's samples? Misty's killer is found, maybe her two old freinds get back together and Misty can move on to Heaven, having helped solve her murder and save Marcie. If Misty fails Marcie, she will be doomed to eternity as a ghost or even sent to Hell.

Marcie needs to play on Misty's faith and naivite, sad to say.

And where the Hell is Maisie and the rest? They must know by now Marcie is kidnappedif the cop creap does.

Also, Marcie got detention inpart because of what Honoraria's cop brother told her. Will she appologise or rationalize a good reason for them?

Ack. I'm doing it again. Stop writing so well.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Uh oh....

Well, that's a revoltin' development!

Marcie'll convince her, though - I don't think Misty would like a 'playmate' with her for all eternity who was pissed off at Misty for her having been duplicitous in her playmate's murder....!

YW

He conquers who endures. ~ Persius

What DOES Maisie Know?

Frank's picture

Thus far she hasn't really KNOWN anything... :D Or is it THE OTHER Maisie who knows something...?

Huggles

Hugs

Frank

Maisie Knows...

erin's picture

Maisie knows that Marcie is Mark.

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

That's What Maisie fount out...

Frank's picture

But it isn't something she KNEW...I'm thinking maybe the orginal Maisie knows something about the Cop from back when, but was afraid to say anything..

Huggles

Alexis

Hugs

Frank