What Maisie Knew: 24. Foundations

Printer-friendly version

Ida told me that she didn't want to be too ambitious on our first weekend together. "I'm hoping we can do this again, maybe often, and so I'd rather take it easy and get to know you a little bit. It's nice to be with you when, uh–"

"I understand," I said, and finished her thought: "– when Maisie's not around."

What Maisie Knew: A Marcie Donner Story, by Kaleigh Way

 
24. Foundations

 

"I know you want to learn about makeup," Ida said, "but there are other things that will make a lot bigger difference to you."

"Like what?" I asked, frowning. We were just finishing breakfast, and I was nursing my special tea.

"First, we need to get you some bras–"

"I have plenty of bras!" I replied.

"I know you do," she said gently, "and I'm sure they're very nice. But they don't fit right. Most of them don't give the support you need, and you probably don't realize how uncomfortable they are."

I shifted a little in my chair and resisted the urge to adjust myself. "I thought that's just how they are, or how they're supposed to be, or something."

She shook her head. "So, bras. That's the first thing. The second thing is shoes." My eyes lit up. "You need two good pairs of school shoes."

"School shoes!?" I echoed. "I thought we were going to look at cool shoes, like the kind you and Ms. Means wear. Michael Kors and Manolo and stuff."

"Oh, we can look at them too," she said, smiling, "but in case you didn't notice, I don't wear shoes like that all the time. Most of the time I'm wearing something sensible and comfortable that also looks good. Like these." She showed off the shoes she was wearing. The heel wasn't very high, but they still looked like designer shoes.

"Those are sensible shoes?" I asked.

She nodded. "It is possible to look good without suffering," she said. "Most of the time. Your day-to-day look has to be comfortable. You don't want to be one of those women who tear off their shoes every chance they get, and moan and groan about how much their feet hurt. Shoes and bras are not supposed to hurt."

"Okay," I said. I was doubtful, but willing to be guided. "Then what?"

"Oh, after that we'll have dinner," she said. "Do you feel like cooking again?"

"Uh, sure," I replied. "But those two things are going to take all day?"


They didn't take all day, but we took our time going from place to place, and pretty much gave into any whim that took us off track. It was so nice to not be goal-driven, to not have to do something for once!

Ida told me that she didn't want to be too ambitious on our first weekend together. "I'm hoping we can do this again, maybe often, and so I'd rather take it easy and get to know you a little bit. It's nice to be with you when, uh–"

"I understand," I said, and finished her thought: "– when Maisie's not around."

She bit her lip and didn't answer, but later that afternoon, when we were sitting in a pastry shop, the topic came up again.


Ida played with her collar and made a strained face before launching into it.

"I'm not going to ask what Maisie's told you... I shouldn't... and I won't... it's better if I don't hear..."

I looked at her and tried to not tense up. I *so* did not want to get involved in the Maisie-Ida conflict. If I had to take a side, I'd have to side with Maisie, no matter what. She's my friend. Ida, even if she's Maisie's mom, is still just a random adult.

Ida continued, "I'm sure that Maisie's given you her version of my, ah, divorce." She didn't look to me for confirmation. She gazed into her cup as she swirled her coffee around. I noticed she was trembling slightly and looked extremely uncomfortable.

"People who've never had one think that divorce is the easy way out," she said, "but it's not. It's one of the worst things imaginable. It's like dying."

"You don't have to–" I began, but she interrupted.

She locked eyes her eyes on mine and said, "Marcie, whatever Maisie told you — whatever she said — it's probably true."

Ida shocked me to the core by what she said, but she must have shocked herself as well. In a paroxysm of nerves she seized her left hand with her right and her eyes darted one way and the other. She let go of her hand and knocked her coffee to the floor.

The cup didn't shatter: it cracked into pieces. Ida stared at pool of liquid spreading near her feet. She said nothing, but drew a slow shaky breath. I didn't dare move.

The two of us kept silent while the shop owner came over, cleared up the mess, and brought Ida another coffee.

"You don't need to tell me this," I said, as gently as I could. "I don't need to know." And I don't want to know! I shouted silently.

"But I do need to tell you," she said, with some desperation. Then she caught herself and backed off. "No, I'm sorry. I'm sorry, Marcie. I can't impose... But still..."

In a softer voice she asked, "Can you let me tell you my side of the story? It won't take very long. I would hate for you to think I'm the same monster that Maisie sees."

"Okay," I said, nervously, and made a few jerky movements of my own, one of which nearly sent my hot chocolate to the floor. I had to sit on my hands to keep them steady.

Ida swallowed hard. "My husband, Maisie's father, was a jerk. He was unfaithful, he drank... he cheated on his taxes, he cheated on me... he was arrogant and thoughtless and generally absent. Maisie and I were just ornaments in his life, usually on the shelf, but trotted out when he needed to show us off.

"And me? Well, I can't claim that I was ever the *best* mother in the world, but before I filed for divorce, Maisie and I got along. Not as well as you and your mother, but we had our moments." She looked at her nails. "At least, she didn't hate me. Or call me names." She took a breath.

I recalled that Maisie had told me she'd spent most of her childhood with nannies, but I didn't ask Ida how that fit with her story.

"And now comes the bad part," she said, pulling out a tissue with a shaky hand. "My husband didn't love me, didn't need me, didn't want me. As far as Maisie was concerned, he was barely aware of her. I filed for a divorce. I thought he'd be glad to see us go. But he wasn't.

"His pride was offended, and he wouldn't let me go without a fight." She swallowed.

"So he didn't want you to leave?"

"No, ah," she looked confused by my question. "I mean yes. I mean–" She frowned to get her bearings. "Look: he might have wanted me to go, but *he* wanted to choose the how and the when. In his mind, I was just an add-on to his life... more like a possession than a person. He might have wanted to throw me away, but if *I* walked away, then that was like... stealing to him. He had no problem rejecting me in a thousand ways, but if I told *him* I didn't want him... well, that was wrong in his mind. He wanted to hurt me as much as he could for wanting to leave. He wanted to be the one to end it...

"Anyway... I'm not rich like Aiden — my ex — but I have enough. I didn't really want his money... I just asked for enough to maintain me and Maisie as she grew. Not only did he not want to give me a cent, but he also threatened to take away everything that I had."

"How could he do that?" I asked.

"It's complicated," she replied.

I must have given her a look, because she said, "Okay, it's not complicated. By California law, half of what he owned was mine, and half of what I owned was his. So he was entitled to half my house here in Flickerbridge, and I was entitled to half his house in Llewellyn, just for example."

"Couldn't you each just keep your own house?"

"Well that would make sense, wouldn't it? If everyone was sensible, it would all be easy. Unfortunately, in a divorce everyone is so angry and hurt and crazy that they go for the jugular, and do as much damage as they can. If you can't take someone's money outright, you can at least make them spend it all on lawyers and..."

She stopped and spread her hands as if to steady herself. "The point is, I was afraid. I was afraid to be alone... a little. But mainly I was afraid he'd leave me penniless and homeless. Which is what he threatened to do, in so many words."

She drew a very deep breath and let it go.

"And then, we fought over Maisie's money."

"Maisie has money?" I asked, with some surprise.

She laughed. "Oh, yeah. Didn't you know? Maisie has more money than me and her father put together. It's in a trust fund, though, so she can't touch it, but anyway...

"I was so angry with Aiden! We started fighting over Maisie's money, Maisie's money, Maisie's money, and then over Maisie herself. It was just..."

She passed her hands over her face. "We'd been arguing about all these... things... inanimate objects... houses... money... things... and then we started arguing about Maisie in the same exact way." Beads of sweat broke on her forehead.

"The two of us were screaming and shouting and saying the worst possible things... and not just one time, but for days and days on end. It was awful. Inhuman."

Her lips tightened. "It was never about Maisie. It was all about hurting each other... me and Aiden."

Ida looked at me without seeing me. Her face was pale and her pupils were like pinpoints. She was miles away, and it was frightening. Here I was, in a mall, in the middle of... Someplace, New Jersey, with an adult I barely knew, listening to things I never wanted to hear.

"We said the most horrible things about our little girl... and Maisie heard everything." She went white for a moment. "Everything. Every single nasty hurtful word. Things no one on earth should ever say, but we said them."

She tried, with shaking hands, to take a sip of coffee, then thought better of it.

"I've come up with a thousand excuses for what I did... my mind does it, all by itself... churns out reasons, justifications, for what I said... but..." She shook her head and didn't finish the sentence.

"You know, when you're a kid, you think that adults understand everything, can handle everything, always know the right thing to do... but sometimes you're just in over your head, and you're lost...

"I was overwhelmed by selfish fear, and — honestly, I swear — I didn't realize how horrible we were — *I* was — until the custody hearing." Tears welled in her eyes, but didn't fall. Her voice fell to a whisper. "The judge called us awful parents. He didn't want to give Maisie to either one of us, and he apologized to her — can you believe that? The judge actually apologized to Maisie for having to leave her with her own parents." She gasped for breath, but didn't cry. "I was devastated. In that short space of months, I made Maisie hate me, and now we can never go back."

She dabbed her eyes. "You can't imagine, Marcie, when the two most important relationships in your life go bad at the same time. And not just bad, but irretrievably bad." A small shudder passed through her.

The two of us sat in silence for a while. I didn't know what to do or say, so I put my hand on hers.

She sat there, sniffing, for some time. I wondered whether I could safely take my hand back, but I didn't. I just left it there.

After a minute and a half (I was watching the clock) she finally looked up, smiled, and put her other hand over mine. "You're such a good girl, you know that?"

"I try," I said.


That night, after dinner, I called Maisie.

"Hey, Marce!" she said, "I am having a blast with your mother! She is so cool!"

"Really?" I asked. "What are you guys doing?"

"We put up ALL the curtains in the house. All of them!"

"Wow," I said. "And that was fun?"

"Yeah! It was a lot of work, though. Putting up the curtain rods isn't as easy as you'd think. Your dad helped with that part."

I made a noncommittal grunt.

"Then we had to adjust the lengths..."

"I don't know how you can enjoy doing that stuff, Maisie. Honestly, it makes me feel bad for you, but I'm glad I missed it!"

"Well, what are you guys up to?" she challenged.

"Girl stuff," I replied. "Clothes, shopping, shoes, hanging out, watching movies."

"Oh, I see," she said, in an unenthusiastic tone. "You two are just going hog wild, aren't you?"

"It is fun, Maisie. I wouldn't trade it for hanging curtains any day."

"Maybe we should stay like this," she suggested. "We could swap moms for good!"

"Oh," I began, but she cut me off.

"I know, I know. You'd miss your mommy!"

"Well, yeah," I replied.

"I wouldn't," she retorted.

"I know," I said sadly.

"Oh, well. Hey! Do you mind if I paint your room?"

"Uh, no, I guess not... what color?"

"Do you really care? Can I choose? I mean, me and your Mom?"

"Um, I, ah, no," I said. I honestly had no idea what color I'd like. "Sure. Go ahead. Knock yourself out. Just don't make it pink, okay?"

"Great!" she replied. "Hey, speaking of pink, why don't you girls go do your nails or something?" She laughed as if it was the funniest thing in the world.

I considered for a moment. "That's not a bad idea," I said.

She scoffed, and after a little more talk we both hung up.

© 2007 Kaleigh Way

up
157 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

WOW! Intense chapter

Frank's picture

Makes sense in a sad way for Ida and Maisie. What will bring the reconciliation? Will Marcie talk to her mom about what happened?

I thought in the earlier chapter Maisie said she lost the trust fund or something? Or am I misremembering?

Great Work Kaleigh!!!

Huggles

Alexis

Hugs

Frank

Misremembring

Ida had removed money from the trust (implying that it was available to be put back)(if it was or not, author only knows)
Aiden had spent money that was not readily identifiable as having anything to do with Maisie. It was also stated that he owned multiple houses. Here it was stated that he (somehow by himself outside of community property) owned one house.
That hints to me that the others went back to Maisie's trust. Or was liquidated before the property settlements got to them, but that is about the first thing any remotely decent lawyer locks up.

Onward and forward (looking forward to tomorrow's chapter)

As far as the number of houses...

Ida isn't giving Marcie an inventory of assets. She's just giving a quick explanation of community property. So (if I need to precise), when Ida says that Aiden has a house in Llewellyn, she is simply using that as an example, and not stating or implying that Aiden doesn't have another house or houses.

As far as the trust fund, Maisie's parents took an amount that Maisie considered "a lot" -- whatever that means. In any case, you can assume that what is left is MORE than "a lot."

Maisie succeeded in locking her parents out of the trust fund. So now, the thing is sitting there, waiting for Maisie to reach her majority.

Nice story

Kaleigh. The buildup is much slower then in your first Marcie Donners' but it looks like it's going to be a much more intense story also. Maisie is clearly very much hurt, and although she projects rejection any given chance in the most hurtful way, to me this illustrates rather her pain and sense of loss while she actually still misses her mother but is unable to allow making amends. Yet.

So Marcy will have to act as a katalyst. Or rather what is being staged as an alternate plot in this story with the three girls unravelling the Sabatino/Wix and Collinson/Overmore mystery. Ultimately some explosive dangerous situation will develop, where parent-kid(s) relations will prove themselves important and resolving.

Yes, I'm a romantic at heart. And love to anticipate, so now have to keep with it to find out if I could be right.

Thank you for much fun,

Jo-Anne

It's going to take a LONG time...

... well, maybe not, this IS a story after all... But even here, it'll take a while I'm sure - for Marcie to help Ida and Maisie heal and get to know each other again. Perhaps they won't be "best of friends" (parents really aren't required to be) but maybe they can eventually be civil with each other and can get along so Maisie can stand living with her mom again. I wonder what it'd take? Hmmm. Maybe Maisie can briefly get a boyfriend that "uses" her and dumps her... And Maisie can understand her mom a bit more & Ida can actually BE there to help her pick up the pieces. Effective but painful. Well, we'll have to see.

Why do I think Marcie will be feeling different about Ida going forward?

The only bit of the chapter I had problems with was Ida "spilling her heart" to Marcie. I know some folks just "feel" so right, that others "open up" to them. I can see that you had Ida needing to "spill" to someone (yes she spilt the coffee too, I know)... And you made the coffee shop the right place/right time. But my issue is whether an adult would likely spill their heart out where a teen would hear it... I'm just not sure.

Thanks for more fun (well it's fun reading more, even if not all that happened was fun to the charactedrs.)

Annette

What Maisie Knew- Foundationa

Ida confided in the only person that could help her reconcile with her daughter. I don't think that we need worry about that happening too much because seeing it happen will be way cool. The only thing is how it happens.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice Story

Poor Ida and Maise

Therapy

Marcie should insist that both Maisie and her mom get professional counseling, then she should get the hell out of Maisie's life. And insist her mom do the same. Or the mother/daughter totally disfunctional family is going to totally disrupt and destroy Marcie's slightly disfunctional family. But failing anybody else doing anything, Marcie needs to cut off her friendship with Maisie completely.

"Run away!"

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

The Reveal

...or at least one of them...

Well, we knew something was bad between Maisie & Ida, and generally what. But, listening to Ida's confession and anguish, the true scope & fullness of the tragedy is starting to emerge. It's practically Shakespearian!

Kaleigh has reached a lot deeper and further with this tale than with the earlier series. It's going to be an interesting ride; hang on tight!

Children Get The Worst Of A Divorce

jengrl's picture

I am a child of divorce and I can relate to what Maisie is feeling. Children get the worst part of the deal in divorce. Ida was right about parents saying and doing horrible things in the heat of the moment. My parents never went as far as to say that they didn't want us, but they did do and say some things that didn't make visitation and holidays any easier. They always fought over what weekend or what time on holidays that we could spend with each. My father tried to get out of paying his rightful share of child support and that didn't make life any easier either. It has gotten better now that we are adults, but I still remember the hurt that we went through during my teen years. I hope that Ida and Maisie find their way back to forgiveness. I know that in reality, the pain of feeling unwanted can last long into adulthood. I know of parents who openly admit to telling their children that they were unwanted. Ida just said those things in the heat of a moment, but they still hurt Maisie and that will take time to heal. Great story Kaleigh!

Hugs,

Jenn

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

My family never even had to

My family never even had to worry about a divorce. Both of my parents are quite committed to each other, thankfully. But I do remember some times when they argued, and it was kind of scary even though it never really went anywhere, so I can imagine some of what divorced children might go through.

This hit home

Wow Kaleigh, this chapter really hit home. I look forward to turning on my computer every morning to get my fix of M&M. I've personaly been through a very bitter divorce and saw just how badly adults can act. I hope tomorrow's adventure will be a lot more about Marcies pink polish. It makes me feel better as I head out to work. This is a classic as far as series are concerned, Arecee

Definitely see four or five

Definitely see four or five people needing professional counseling. Namely Maisie and Ida to get their relationship back on track. Then Marcie and her Mom and Dad regarding Marcie and her new person/identity. I get the feeling that Mom is still not quite right with it all. What I am seem missing here, having been a family counselor, now retired, is if Maisie and/or her Mother have ever been seen by medical doctors. During an exam, some of this hostility would surely come out and that would be the place for a doctor to "strongly" recommend counseling.
As much as Maisie feels about the entire subject, it would seem that she would have mentioned it to others such as her doctor' plus the fact it would have to be interfering with other aspects of her life, not just her parental interactions.
This is a very intriguing story and I lots the various story entangling plots and sub-plots. J-Lynn

Counseling

Maisie *is* seeing a counselor who she refers to as "Miss Goldenflower" -- this is the person who asked her to keep a diary. The reason she's going is clear in the story: it's about the divorce. From Maisie's statements, the therapist is trying to get Maisie to deal with her emotional issues.

Marcie had a therapist (Mr. Marks) and a pediatric endocrinologist back in California. I forget his name.

Marcie's parents already made an appointment for Marcie with a new therapist, a person recommended by Mr. Marks. She missed that appointment because of the move to the new house.

Remember, at this point Marcie's only been in town a week or two.

AND, as far as I'm concerned, the "hostility" between Marcie and her mother is something that only exists in the comments, not in the story.

To clarify

I meant Marcie and her mom should see a counselor together. Some kind of Dr. Phil-type who would call "bullshit" when needed. Let them vent at each other, scream and yell, whatever it takes.

I'm not concerned about Marcie, nor did I mean Marcie's mom. I just meant that both of them need to get away from Maisie and her mom, stay out of their life. No socializing, no weekend stayovers, no phone calls, no same school, NOTHING.

Well, I actually am worried about Marcie's mom, but that is another story. ;-)

KJT

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Janis Joplin


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Very Powerful Kaleigh

Wonderful job with Ida telling her side. I've never been in that position, but it all seems very possible. I have been mad enough at my spouse to say crazy things.