William Church and the Scandinavia Trip chapter 20

Printer-friendly version


William Church and the Scandinavia Trip
by Sharphawlad

Chapter 20. Visit to Helsinki

"Ladies I thought I had better tell you we will be docking at Helsinki in about an hour, I thought you might like to look around as we missed Stockholm."

Thank you Grandpa we will be glad to look around and Uncle Nicholas is also dying to get ashore.”

“Lucy we will sail through the night so you can have longer in the town and you will be fresh when we arrive in Russia.”

Nicholas was grinning away, "In that case as we are not far from St. Petersburg Louis do you mind if I borrow your Helicopter as I have urgent business I need to perform in St. Petersburg?"

"Willie it might be better if you and George also come with us."

George, "Markus, we are leaving you to guard the ladies but we envisage no problems in fact the ladies might find in the fur shops interesting as here they can get some real bargains.

Lucy, "I doubt that I will be able to get as good a bargain as I did in Oslo."

With that Lucy and the others disembarked from the Royal Midnight Sun. As they came off the ship they noticed soldiers in grey uniforms lining up along the dockside.

Lucy, "Markus put these crowns on your epaulets now and put your medals on."

Much to his surprise the officer in charge saluted him as he would any senior officer.

Markus, “The Empress and their Highnesses have come to look for furs and do a bit of shopping."

"Yes sir would you care to inspect the troops." As he walked up and down the lines Marcus noticed one young soldier who looked terrified and remembered how certain older soldiers had befriended him. "You step out of the line and follow me."

"Yes sir."

"Captain I need an Aide while I am here so I have selected this officer to accompany me. Now has the transport arrived?"

A fleet of cars arrived along with the Finnish Prime minister. "Welcome Zarina and companions. We are pleased to have you visit us. Officially you are already Grand Duchess of Finland as this is a principality although we once had a king."

Lucy, "We are all going shopping and then we will have lunch after that I would like to go to a big church as I like visiting them."

With this bit of information the Prime Minister grinned and said, "I can arrange to show you the last king's tomb if you wish?" There is something you may be able to help me with. Most of my companions have tiaras of some sort Della here wears the Romanoff one.”

"Empress Lucy I think the people of Finland can help you. We have one small tiara that was made for the kings wife since it was made nobody else has managed to wear it. Would you like to try it and see if it fits?”

"Yes please if you can find it before we leave."

One thing Lucy noticed was even the men wore fur coats and hats in Finland.

Marguerite, "Della whilst we are here. You might as well do serious damage to your fathers account and get a few things. All too soon the shopping spree was ended and they were dining.

Lucy turned to the young soldier who was accompanying Markus, “Will you accompany Fiona on to the dance floor and Marcus can take me as I feel like a dance?”

Lucy and Markus glided across the floor. Several of the adults decided to also dance. All too soon the day seemed to be over and Lucy asked, "Have we time to go to church as I feel we should after I promised the Prime minister I would." As they got near the church Lucy noticed the guards again. “They are obviously expecting us.”

The Dean of the Cathedral came to greet the party and give them a conducted tour. After walking round describing everything he stopped at a chapel and Lucy said, "Please can I say my prayers now as I am getting rather tired it has been a very long day for me?"

"Sorry yes you can say your prayers just sit in that chair".

Lucy sat in the chair and was concentrating on saying her prayers she did not notice the Dean as he placed a tiara on her head and said, "At long last we have a queen who has sat in the coronation chair and worn the crown of Isolde the great.”

Wilma looked, "It appears Lucy was correct as she is fast asleep on the throne." Wilma picked her up and wrapped an ermine wrap round Lucy and passed her to Lucinda."

The Dean, "It was as informal as we could make it for your grand daughter sir. We were surprised you did not accept for yourself. As you are direct descendants of Anastasia. But we agree with your suggestion of a completely new start by us skipping your daughters and giving the job to Lucy.”

Della, "So the stories were correct she did get into England and marry an Englishman."

Fiona, "Grandma Can I keep the boy soldier he seams nice?”

The Dean grinned like a Cheshire cat, "His late mother would have been pleased if she heard a Princess of Hess liked her son."

Margarita, "Pray tell us who his mother was?

"Madame She came from one of the lesser German families & was called Constance of Fischer. She was my late wife who died tragically along with several friends. My son as you see gave a false age and joined the army as an act of rebellion."

"I know he misses his mother and having a nursemaid did not go down well. So from my point of view I would welcome him staying with a Princess of Hess. However he is now in the army and I have no say."

Markus, "But I do so we will collect his belongings and he will return with us." "Lucy would have ordered him to stay so I will anticipate what she would say."

As they got out side Markus spoke with the Captain who drove the group to the army camp and there the young boy collected his kit. Lucinda stayed in the car with Lucy who was still fast asleep.

Fiona, "Mum I will stay with Lucy as I am also feeling very tired."

A short time later the young soldier appeared and said, "I have been ordered to report to Princess Marguerite of Hess. Father has also told me that Princess Marguerite has to treat me as if I was her child and I have to act as if it was mother instructing me.”

Margarita, “You had better share with Marcus and I will read this letter your father sent me. For now go and unpack, Markus will show you where to place your clothing. A short time late Renate saw Marcus coming out of his cabin in a hurry.

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This family has so many

This family has so many interconnected family members, it has to be hard to keep everything straight. I always knew that the royal families were interlinked via Queen Victoria, so that WWI was actually an interfamily squabble that really got out of control as we all know to our dismay.
So it looks like this interlinking has not really gone away as so much become way in the background of today's politics.