Jack & Jean visit the Amish in America Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


Jack & Jean visit the Amish in America
By Sharphawlad

Chapter 1 Holiday to Harrisburg

Jack & Jean were going on holiday to America. The last time they had been on holiday together was their honeymoon in 1949. Their eldest son Richard and his wife had taken over the running of the family farm. The farm was on the edge of Ilkley moor and the history of it could be traced back for at least 1000 years.

Jack thought of his farm and how things had changed over the years. He remembered when his father ran the farm and everything was done by hand. For his father very little would have changed even if he had gone back in time.

For Jack the first big change was getting Electricity installed. At first he had a generator and then he went on the National grid. With the introduction of electricity Jack was able to milk more cows. They no longer had to rely on Tilly lamps or candles for lighting. At night there were plies of blankets to keep you warm as you could see the stone slates on the roof. In places you could see moonlight shining through the stone slates. Cooking was still done on the Range although Jack had bought Jean a modern electric cooker.

The next innovation was the replacement of Dobbin the Shire horse with a David Brown Tractor. Until he could afford it he adapted the old horse drawn implements so a tractor could pull them.Dobbin though was not discarded for the David Brown tractor instead Dobbin was used to give rides to Jacks children and their cousins. Hay making then was still a family event when his brother William and Sister Peggy brought their families to help bring the harvest in.

William lived in the village but Peggy was married to an Engine driver called John. If not at work John would come across the 13 miles to help. Peggy and children would stay with her mother Nellie who lived in the cottage attached to the farmhouse.

The men would lift bales of hay on to the tractor and trailer using pitchforks. Peggy’s eldest son Robert and Jacks eldest daughter Brenda would stack the bales until it was considered high enough. Then they would ride on the bales to the barn and they had to unload the bales. Peggy and Jean with the help of Jeans younger daughters would bring jugs of homemade lemonade and sandwiches to those in the fields. Then they would return to the farmhouse and prepare an evening meal for everybody.

Going to the toilet was an experience never to be forgotten. During the day it entailed going to the shed at the bottom of the garden. There the earth closet was situated. At night time there was gazunders to use. We called them gazunders because they went under the bed. In the toilet old copies of Farmer and Stockbreeder were used to cleanse one self. Robert and Brenda found they had rashes on their arms and legs caused by the by the hay. This would be solved by the liberal use of Nivea cream.

Gathering in the hay continued until light faded. Then everybody made for the farmhouse. Two tables would be setup. The younger children would have been given the task of laying the table. Regardless of sex all children had to learn about place settings. Children would be on one table the adults the other. Before we all tucked into the feast grace was said.

The senior family member always carved the joints of roast beef or turkey. Yorkshire pudding was served as a starter with sugar and gravy rather than with the main course. There was loads of roast vegetables with the meat and gravy. Desert was usually a trifle or apple pie. This was followed by crackers and Wensleydale cheese. Other helpers would then return to their respective homes.

Jack and his brother William would go back out and cut more grass to make hay. They would then return in the early hours to home. However they would get very little sleep as the cows needed milking around 6am. Robert would get up at 05.30 to round the cows up for his uncle.

Bess the Border collie accompanied Robert to collect the cows. Bess certainly knew her task and it did not take long for the cows to be rounded up and driven back to the farm for milking. The dairy cows knew which their stall was. Robert helped shackle the cows in their stall and bring in the buckets of cow cake. He had to ensure the cow’s udders were clean before they were milked. From there the milk was taken to the dairy where it was cooled and bottled. Any spare was sent to the farmers’ cooperative dairy in Leeds later to become Associated Dairies and Asda supermarket.

For the Family the harvest season was not over until the Craven Harvest Thanksgiving was held at Holy Trinity Church. Otherwise known as the Ancient Parish church of Skipton. Then the family would descend on Peggy and her family. Her sons Robert and David always looked forward to the guests arriving.

Grandma arrives first on the Keighley West Yorkshire bus. Robert went down to the Bus station to meet grandma and carry her case back to his home. From her hand bag she would produce a couple of chickens. “Jack sent these with me as he thought it would help you out.”

Before getting ready for the church Robert & David would have to set the tables in readiness for the feast to come. Both of them were in the church choir. The choir had to meet the farmer’s representative at the main door and then they would process down the central aisle to the High Alter.

Robert was a server as well as being the choir and he had to help the Archdeacon of Craven receive the gifts from the farmers. There was always a series of hymns and readings. Mr Turford was the reader and when he read certain passages the farmers stepped forward with their gift that was received by Robert who then gave it to the Archdeacon of Craven. The final gift was always a loaf of bread in the shape of a wheat sheaf. Then it was all over and it was back to Peggy’s home.

While Peggy lived away from her brothers their children often stayed at her home and in fact some of Jack’s children went on holiday with her. This was every alternate year a holiday in Scarborough. The alternate year it would be somewhere exotic like Brighton or Hastings or Jersey.

Jack thought of all this. Now his eldest son ran the farm and he was off to America. He first had a flight from Manchester Ringway to Philadelphia and then on to Harrisburg. He was glad to finally get back on solid ground. He was greeted by the tour leader and they boarded a coach to their hotel. Once they reached their hotel Jack left his wife Jean to unpack. He noticed a horse drawn buggy and stroked the horse.

A voice said, “English?”

“No I am from Yorkshire Gods own Country.”

The Amish man got down from the buggy and held out his hand. Jack accepted it. “Your horse reminded me of my farm before it was mechanised.”

Old Jacob slapped Jack on his back. “You come to my farm I show you around.”

“Tomorrow at Nine as I have to get back to my wife at our hotel.”

“Come I give you lift back to hotel.”

Back at the hotel Jack waved goodbye to his new friend. Jean was reading what there was to do in the town. Jack spoke, “We have been invited out tomorrow by one of the locals. We are being collected at nine.”

At nine on the dot a horse drawn buggy drew up outside the Hotel. This brought a few odd looks from the other guests. A young woman asked for them and handed Jean a bonnet. “Please put on.”

Soon they set off and before long they were at the Amish farm. Much to Jeans disgust Jack reverted to his Broad Yorkshire and this pleased the Amish men even more.

The young woman said, “Mama and I will drive you around and show you the sights. Papa has found some clothing for your husband if he wants to help us out.”

Jack did not need a second asking and was soon helping bring in the hay crop. Every day of his holiday Jack was on the farm. Finally it was time to return home. They said farewell to their new friends. They were met at Manchester airport by their Brother in law John.

Jean spoke, “Our John do you know what he has done all holiday?”

Jack spoke, “This holiday was a great idea. Jean went places with the ladies while I helped the Amish men out on the farm. We will do it again next year and book for a bit longer.”

John, “Cousin Jean you will not get Jack to change his mind.” “Did you have a good time while out there?” “Peggy has prepared a meal for us when we get back.”
Back at John’s home virtually all the family had assembled to hear about the holiday.

Peggy burst out laughing as did her brother William. Peggy said, "Jean how did you gone on in America?"

“Well The ladies took me shopping and to the county fair. When I discovered they were going to take me to the county fair I asked if I could make a few things to enter. They have a range in their home similar to what we had at the farm.”

Jack burst out laughing. “What she is not telling you is she won in every category she entered.”

William spoke, “While you have been away I had a medical appointment.” “It was discovered that I have both testicular and prostate cancer.”

Everything went quiet and then Patricia spoke, “The doctors have told him they can cure him but it means the removal of all his equipment.” “I have told him we have four sons and will not be having anymore. As far as I am concerned I would rather have a live husband who had his wedding tackle removed than a dead husband who was still intact.”

Jack was next to speak. “Well brother of mine I would do as Patricia said and have the lot removed. Drugs can only slow the cancer down. It needs removing completely.”

After listening to all this William started to have second thoughts and said, “I will contact the hospital and tell them I will go ahead with the operation.” All too soon the gathering was over and each returned to their respective homes.

A couple of days later there was a knock at the door. Robert Peggy’s eldest son answered it. Stood there was a young woman in a strange costume. “Jack & Jean please they told me they were coming here?”

Robert shouted, “Mother we have a guest.”

Peggy looked at the young woman and the small case she clutched. “Papa sent me to say to Jack & Jean to come for the entire summer season next time and stop with us.”

Robert looked at the young woman and smiled. “You can have my bed I will sleep on the sofa. Would you like a bath as you will have been travelling quite a while?”

“I have change of clothing in my bag but I will need to wash my clothing.”

Peggy spoke, “Sorry my son has not introduced us properly I am Jack’s baby sister Peggy and this is my eldest son Robert. By the stupid look on his face he is rather taken with you. I have never known him give his bed up even for his cousins when they have stayed over.”

“I am Rebecca Elder Joseph younger daughter. I looked after Jack & Jean back at home.”

Peggy, “If you pass me all your clothing I will put the washer on.” “Now you my eldest I have seen that look before but not in you. Take it easy with her although I already know the outcome.”

After taking a long relaxing soak. “Please where is the wash board so that I can ensure everything is clean.”

Peggy smiled, “I have already put the washer on and your clothing will soon be ready. Tomorrow we will be going to the Parish Church if you wish to come?”

Robert took hold of Rebecca’s hand. “We are all going out for a meal and then I will show you around the town."

Rebecca noticed both of Robert’s parents had mobility scooters.

“Their legs are not very good and so they need to use the scooters.” With Robert holding Rebecca’s hand they set off. It was totally different in the town to what Rebecca was used to. There appeared to be a constant stream of cars. Both sides of the High Street were packed with shoppers and tourists.

Robert handed Rebecca a menu in the Red Lion hotel. Rebecca looked blank at it.
“Please would you like me to order the same for you that I am having?”

“Please I like chicken.”

Robert gave the waitress the orders and also ordered a Shandy for everybody. Dessert was ice cream. “Mother and Father are returning home. I will show you around town."

A short distance from the hotel was the Ancient Parish Church they walked across to it. They then walked to the High Alter. “This is where generations of my family have got married and some are still here for they lie buried close to the High Alter. One day I hope to bring my future wife here and in the presence of my current family and my past family make her my wife.”

The female priest came up to them. “Hello Robert can I help you?”

“Yes Rector this is Rebecca and she is Amish we were wondering if she was allowed to take communion with us tomorrow?”

The Rector asked Rebecca some questions and Rebecca smiled.
“Rebecca will be allowed to take communion in addition she has informed me she intends to get married here soon in the presence of all her fiancé’s relations past and present.” “I think you two should come to my office to arrange a date for your wedding.”

The two of them followed the Rector. “I have not seen you around before Rebecca.”

Rebecca went all shy and Robert answered for her. “Rebecca turned up at our house looking for my Aunt & Uncle I have been showing her the sights. I did sort of give Rebecca a hint I would like her as my wife. However I have not formally proposed to her although I will do that now in your presence.”

A massive smile lit up Rebecca’s face. “Robert I accept.”

The Rector, “I presume Robert as a chorister and Server you want all the works?”

“As Rebecca has already informed me she partakes in bread and wine at home I have no hesitation in asking if you would like it in your wedding.”

Robert produced a note book. I have all the hymns chosen and the tunes for the signing and departure. I would like the full choir to meet Rebecca at the main door and escort her to the high alter where I will be waiting. In addition I would like the full peal of bells. For the brides entrance I had thought of either the Prince of Denmark’s march or the Traditional here comes the bride.”

Rector, “You will need banns said for three Sundays and then you can be married. I am amazed though how you have already thought this out.”

“My Great Grandmother came to me in a dream and told me my future wife would knock at our door. She informed me what hymns to choose & that my bride would be different from all the girls I knew.”

Rebecca was nodding her head up and down. “Tomorrow we come for the first reading.”

Robert & Rebecca went back into the High street and stopped at a Jewellers where they bought wedding and engagement rings. Now we go to the florists and order the flowers. "I think my niece Jessica and my Cousin Brenda’s three daughters will make good bridesmaids. If any of your sisters come then they also can be bridesmaids.”

They crossed over to the Black Horse Hotel to see if they had any vacancies for a wedding reception in three weeks’ time. The manager looked at the diary. “You are in look we have just had a cancelation.”

“Good then we will book it for both afternoon and evening.”

Robert then telephoned both his niece and his cousins daughters and asked them to meet him at Cinderella’s shop.

Rebecca flashed her engagement ring at them. “Rebecca needs some bridesmaids and I thought of you four.” “As for Rebecca’s dress I will leave that up to you and mother.”

“Rebecca we have the question of your family. Will some of them fly across for the wedding if they will I will make arrangements for them?”

The two of them slowly walked back to Robert’s parent’s home. Quite a reception was waiting for them including the Matriarch of the family his maternal Grandmother who smiled at Rebecca. “So you wish to be married to my daughter’s eldest son. Have you any thoughts on wedding attire?”

Rebecca brought out a tatty old photograph. “For as long as I can remember I have wanted one like this.”

Robert’s grandmother looked at the picture. On the back was written Sarah Hannah on her wedding day.

“Rebecca please where did you get this photo as I am very familiar with that dress as it was my mothers and I still have it or at least Peggy does?”

“My mum says it is her great aunt in the dress. This was amongst one of the last things she received from her sister.”

Grandma Nellie, “Mother and father both died in a flu epidemic and we children got split up between other family members. Would you like to try the dress?”

Rebecca started to grin. “That makes Robert related to me as she is his Great grandmother.” Before I try the dress on can I telephone home or at least Jacob the Mennonite has a telephone & he will bring my parents to it?”

Sure enough Jacob sent his youngest with instructions to bring Elder Joseph and wife across. “Mama & Papa you made friends with Jack & Jean without knowing much about them. Mama Jack is the Grandson of Sarah Hannah and I am about to put on her wedding dress. You know the dress in the photo I said I always wanted to wear.”

Robert switched on the amplifier so all in the room could here. “Sir Rebecca is going with my mother and grandmother to try the dress on. There is something you should know. Recently I bought the farm my Grandparents originally farmed. In front of my local priest in the Parish Church I proposed to Rebecca. She accepted and we have being making preparations all day. Will you walk her down the aisle? My uncle wants you to stay with them.”

Jacob asked, “Do you have a computer and their Skype address.” Instead of talking they could now see their daughter.

Robert’s Grandma Nellie came and spoke. “My mother would have been over the moon to discover Robert has proposed to her youngest sister’s great grandchild. By any chance are any of my cousins still alive?”

It was Jacob who responded. “The only one left from that generation is my Mother.” Jacob’s mother looked into the computer screen and it was almost like looking at herself.

“So we look like twins. May I speak to Rebecca?” Rebecca appeared wearing a different patterned dress but it was in the Amish style.” “I was long ago told about that dress it was Sarah Hannah’s going away dress.” May I speak with your future husband?”

Robert appeared he was in bib and brace overalls. Rebecca clutched hold of him. “Greetings Aunt.” “I refer to you as Aunt because that is what I would call any of Grandma’s siblings or cousins.” “I and my family are going to the farm I have bought.” “I will need Rebecca’s input on how to decorate and furniture. So far we have no livestock. That will change once we move in.”

“It is not often that I have to make a decision for both Amish and Mennonite there will be forty of us coming for the wedding. Some here wish to see the farm and help decorate it. So we will all come early.”

“Jacob have you a printer attached to your computer? I will send flight and ticket details.” As each ticket appeared Jacob filled in the details. Other families agreed to look after the farms while they were all away.

Robert then made a couple of telephone calls one was to the Hanover international hotel to see if they could accommodate 40 guests. Then he telephoned Castle coaches to arrange the collection of the Amish from Manchester Airport.

Robert then spoke again. “Aunt I have booked accommodation for forty of you. I also have arranged transport as we are 70 miles from the airport. I will be there with Rebecca to meet you all at the airport. My grandmother insists on coming with us to meet you.”

Back in America. All the family members asked friends to look after their farms. Usually it was the Elders who had the final say. But the senior Elder had spoken and it was treated as law. Friends took them all to the Airport from which they would start their journey. They were all booked on an American Airlines aircraft.

Before long they had to change aircraft at Philadelphia. Then it was across the Atlantic Ocean to Manchester.

Robert checked details of the flight and he along with Rebecca went across to Manchester with the coach driver. The coach driver had been at School with Robert. So they had known each other for quite a while. Robert & Rebecca went to the arrival area. The group they were waiting for was easy to spot.

Rebecca shouted. “Mama Papa here.” Rebecca gave her parents a hug. “This is Robert.”

Robert noticed a young woman struggling to carry a case and pushing a wheel chair. “Rebecca she looks almost done in I will take the case and can you push the lady?”

“No I will take my sisters case and you can push Grandma.”

“The old lady smiled. “It could not have worked out better if the family arranger had organised it for you and Rebecca.”

Robert laughed, “My own parents met because of the family arranger although the arranger’s plans went slightly wrong as mother was not the intended bride.”

The old lady laughed, “So my cousin Nellie where is she as I thought she would be here?”

“Grandma is here she informed us she would stay in the coach and save the front coach seat for you."

David the coach driver put the luggage in the storage compartments of the coach. In also went the wheelchair.

Once everybody was on the coach Robert took hold of the micro phone. “Greetings everybody I am Robert soon to be husband of Rebecca. Soon we will be setting off on the 70 mile journey to my home. When we get near Burnley we will be stopping at a supermarket to get some as there are four of us that had to set off early to meet you.

45 minutes later the coach pulled up in front of an ASDA supermarket.
"Please follow me." Robert went in and stood by the till as each gave their order. Most went away with a Coffee or Tea and were given a number for their table. Finally Robert & Rebecca gave their order.

Nellie looked at her cousin. “She always has what Robert has. Can she read?”

“Some of the girls were very ill and missed a lot of schooling Rebecca must be one of those.”

Soon everybody after using the toilets was back on the coach. This leg of the journey was short as the scenery changed from the urban sprawl of Lancashire to the countryside of Yorkshire.

As they passed the county boundary the driver spoke. “Welcome to God’s own country also known as Yorkshire. We are only a short distance now from your hotel. I will take you there and then once you are settled in your rooms run you into town. It is about a mile and a half in to town from the hotel. After dropping you all off in the town I will be returning to my depot across the road from the hotel. I though will be seeing you all later in the week.”

Jacob spoke, “Thank you for collecting us from Manchester Airport apart from Mother we all can walk back to the Hotel.”

Robert spoke, “Actually Rebecca and I are pushing her around and will return her later.”

The young woman who had been pushing her at the Airport spoke, “I Ruth will help push Grandma.”

The coach pulled into the bus station. Robert spoke, “I will try and show you the town if you get separated you can get a bus or a taxi from here. In fact if there is a group of four or five then it is cheaper to use a taxi. Your hotel name is Hanover International.”

Rebecca looked at the young man who had met them at the coach station. “I think Robert and I will take turns pushing his grandma while you two David & Ruth push my grandma.”

Robert looked at his youngest brother. “David it looks to me as if you also are to be getting an Amish wife. The young woman cuddled into David.

David looked at the young woman & then at the older Amish woman. “I have never felt like this before. It was as if when I set eyes on Ruth there was an bolt of electric passed between us.”

Elder Joseph spoke, “Robert it looks like we will be staying a bit longer than I expected. David went down on one knee.

“Ruth will you become my wife? I realise we cannot get married at the same time as your sister. As you are already here will you agree to the same church as your sister?”

Elder Joseph, “From what I understand it is the ancient family church and while different to what we know it is ok with the Elders. I think we all had better go to see this church.”

They all could see the imposing building looming up in front of them. As they went into the church the men removed their straw hats. As soon as they moved in they noticed the font at the rear of the church under the tower. The window in front of the font was a memorial to the men from the town that had died in both world wars. There were also memorials to soldiers who had died in recent conflicts. On the window there were flags of the entire British colony’s including America.

As they were been shown around a voice spoke, “Robert I presume this is your fiancé’s family?”

Joseph held his hand out. “I am elder Joseph to all of these. I have a second daughter who wishes to be married here in Gods own Country.

David & Ruth stepped forward. “So the youngest brother also wishes to be married here?”

Ruth’s grandma spoke up. “Both girls are following in the footsteps of their ancestors who now lie buried close to the High Alter.”

The Rector looked at the diary. “Sorry I cannot marry you on the same day as your sister but I can do you two weeks later if that is ok?”

Elder Joseph responded. “That will be fine. It though will mean we stay a little longer than anticipated.”

Then it was across to the same hotel to book a reception. As they left the church Robert received a telephone call it was from his uncle Jack. “My brother William has listened to you and had the operation. Apparently they had to remove everything. Currently he has a catheter in so he can urinate.”

Elder Joseph, “Bad news?”

“Well yes and no William my mother’s youngest brother had testicular and prostate Cancer. He has just had surgery and they had to remove all his wedding tackle.”

“In that case he will need a pick me up. Rebecca can make it at your parents’ home.”

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos