William Church and the Scandinavia Trip chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


William Church and the Scandinavia trip
by Sharphawlad

Chapter 1 The winning cruise
Lucy was sat down and started to tell Sidonie and friends her story. Petal, “Perhaps Alexis should start the story and then the relevant person continue.” The whole group sat down. Petal, “Perhaps Alexis should start the story and then the relevant person continue.”

Alexis looked around. “Shortly after taking over the ancient castle at Skipton I became aware of another group in the town I had let slip through my fingers. The story though starts with a husband and wife winning a cruise to the Norwegian fiords”

It had been 25 years since William & Lynn had first married in the ancient Parish Church of Skipton. That wedding now seamed such a long time ago now. Lynn’s father had died some eight years ago now at the age of only 68 from cancer. Their daughter Louise was 21 and away in her final year at University of Leeds reading genetics after winning a scholarship there. They had decided they would take a tour of Scandinavia after winning a cruise in a competition, they did not even remember entering. Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are their destinations. Lynn was excited this was their first journey abroad for some fourteen years. Usually they visited Scarborough and took a flat, as that was all they could afford. Their last trip abroad had been when Louise was seven years old and, that had been to the Island of Rhodes in Greece. On that occasion Lynn had come into a small legacy and decided they should all have a decent holiday. Now after their win they were off to the land of the midnight sun on a cruise they thought they would never have.

Their daughter Louise drove them up the A1 to the Newcastle docks where they would board their cruise ship. Before they boarded there ship the Midnight sun. The two of them took their anti sickness tablets. Their daughter Louise watched as their ship departed on its journey to Scandinavia. She was a big girl now, soon she would soon have her doctorate and be finished at the university and then she would be looking for a job.

Not that finding a job for her would be all that difficult, as firms had been falling over them selves to offer her a job. This would be a major decision for her as she had received several opportunities from abroad. One was from a clinic in Sweden. Louise had come the top in her field in all the universities of Britain. Her field was genetics and that was why she was in such demand. Sweden looked like it would be the best option. Whilst her parents were away she would fly to Sweden to see the clinic and see if it would suit her needs. She also wondered if she should tell her parents about Max he was the love of her life and they had met while at Leeds University. Max was a real gentleman. Louise knew he was going to propose to her soon as she had spotted all the signs.

Lynn & William looked around the Midnight Sun their home for the next three weeks. After unpacking their cases they went to explore their new surroundings. On board the ship there was a selection of shops and stores. Everything was priced in Pounds and Euros. Their ship was like a mobile hotel with every thing they would require for their vacation. There was even a small hospital on board the ship. Their first port of call was to be Copenhagen. They had already worked out what to see and the Tivoli Gardens was first on their list.

Lynn. "It is far more posh than I ever expected. I thought it would just be sort of a ferry that went to different countries. I hope we have sufficient clothing. Did you see the prices of the dresses in the onboard store?"

"Yes I was pleasantly surprised as well how nice the ship is. As to the dress prices I did not notice them darling."

There were three dinning rooms on board the Midnight sun. The Church family soon found they were seated in the Arial dining room for their meals. It appeared to be rather grand and so they decided to put on their best clothing for the evening meal. They where greeted by a Steward as they entered the dining room and asked their names.

William said, "Mr. & Mrs. William Church."

"Ah yes Mr. & Mrs. Church you are on Captain Swens table."

The steward escorted them to the table.

Captain Swen. "Mr. & Mrs. Church your daughter telephoned the company, and asked if we could do something special, as it apparently it is your Silver wedding anniversary while away on this trip."

William, "We have planned on having a belated party once when we returned home. That was to be for family and friends."

The Captain, "Well we may not be family but on this ship we are all friends. I for one have great respect for anybody who manages 25 years of marriage. Too many people these days have a slight disagreement and it is the divorce courts. A marriage to me is a commitment for life. I am myself celebrating 40 years with my wife Glenda this year. When my firm got the message from your daughter we looked to see if any others who were travelling with us were also celebrating. All at this table are celebrating their unions this year."

A steward came and presented each of the females with a bouquet of flowers. The men were given a bottle of malt whisky. The evening ended with dancing on the floor before they all departed for their cabins.

Lynn when they got back said, "That little minx Louise never said anything to me about this."

William. "I have enjoyed our first day on this ship and I hope the others are equally as good. I will have to write to our good friend Maddy Bell in Australia and tell her what happened to us. She could include part of it in some of her stories she writes."

“Yes William but did she not say that she intended to return to Yorkshire. By the time your letter reaches her she will be back home with her parents in Sheffield.”

“Now you mention it I do believe she gave me her new address.”

They sailed through the night and the steward awakened them for breakfast just before they reached Copenhagen. It was quite a sight as the ship neared the harbour.

"That is the statue of the little mermaid. I always felt sorry for her as she gave her life for love.”

William rubbed his right chest. "The old trouble seams to be flaring up again darling."

Lynn sighed, “I hope it does not get too bad like it did before. I am not sure what to do if it does as we have nothing with us that could help."
William, "Well all the countries we visit they are all in the EEC now so have reciprocal health agreements. If worst comes to the worst I will have to go to a local health clinic.”

They disembarked the ship as it had two days in port before it departed on its next leg. They visited the Tivoli gardens and got talking to a nice couple they met in the gardens. The lady invited them back to her home for tea.

William took the initiative and said, "We would love to, but we only have two days in port before we go on to Oslo. We were wanting to see the Royal palace and hopefully take a few pictures for our album so we can show our daughter Louise when we go home to England."

The woman, "Oh we can show you that and then you come to tea yes?"

William. "OK we will come to tea."

Lynn. "I wonder if we will get see the Danish Royal Family at the palace? That would be the highlight of the trip for me and then we could tell our daughter Louise all about it."

The woman, "You have a good chance of meeting them as they often walk or cycle in the park."

William, "We have got chatting to you and we have not properly introduced ourselves. I am William Church of Skipton and this is my wife Lynn we are on a three-week tour of Scandinavia. We have another day here in Copenhagen and then our ship the Midnight Sun departs for Oslo and the Norwegian fjords."

The woman, "I am Helga Sax-Coberg and this is my late husband’s older brother Willie."

Lynn took it in her stride but William said, "Sax-Coberg as in the late Prince Albert of Sax-Coberg the husband and Prince consort of the late Queen Victoria."

The woman smiled and said, "William you did say you hoped to meet the Danish Royal family."

Lynn started to curtsy and Helga said. "Oh we do not go for that sort of formal nonsense here. Now how would you both like a personal tour of my palace and then you can tell your daughter all about it?”

Helga got one of the Guards to take photo of them with William & Lynn. Eventually they had to get back to their ship but Helga said, "A car will be sent for you in the morning and we can continue your tour of Denmark."

They arrive back at the ship in a Black Rolls Royce along with members of the Danish Royal Family.

Helga asked the captain for details of the trip and exactly where they were going. The Captain was a bit shaken but gave them an itinerary. “Thank you captain.”

The Royal family departed. William & Lynn went to their dinning room for their evening meal and while they were eating their belongings were moved to the stateroom. The captain appeared at the table and said,

"Mr & Mrs Church I am sorry I did not realise you both were well connected with our Royal Family. I have been ordered to move you to the stateroom. Your belongings are being transferred as we speak.”

Back at the palace the telephone was red hot. Helga was ringing other family members along the route.

The other guests at the table could hardly believe William & Lynn had only just met the Royally. Even the Captain Swen found it hard to believe.

William, "I have some Norwegian friends at back at home in Skipton and years ago I had a Danish girl friend who I met while on holiday in Tunisia." She was on holiday with her parents and sister." But today is the first time I have met your Royal family.

The captain, “We will let it rest." "Did you both have a good time?

Lynn, "We had a fantastic time. Queen Helga is coming to take us out tomorrow and then they will both see us off on the ship.

The Captain, "Excuse me I am required." The Captain had pushed a button under the table, which summons all the senior staff to his office. "Ladies and gentlemen as some of you are aware we had Royal visitors earlier today. Apparently two of our guests are great friends with the Royal family. I want everything clean and spotless. It appears the Royally will be coming back tomorrow and I would not be surprised if we have further visits from them along the way. Also I want all staff in full dress uniforms before 09.00”

Back at the Palace Helga was laughing as she was talking to Willie. "William Church has not yet realised I have known him for a very long time. Both he and his younger brother had a great time with Angela & me in Tunisia. They both got on well with my parents. I even went to stay with William and his Aunt in Brandon in Norfolk. Eventually I had to go home and William took me to the boat at Harwich. Never once did he realise who I was or who my parents were. I miss led him twice though. I gave him my home address as Bonhomie and he and I often exchanged correspondence. After father died I had to stop the letters and as far as I know he never realised who I was. He thought I was going to France for a teaching job.”

There was a knock on William & Lynn’s cabin door and the Captain entered. "I have come to check all is OK in your new cabin? I also would like to ask you both if you mind coming to breakfast a little earlier in the morning. It will make things easier for my staff. It was a great surprise for my staff to have her majesty Queen Helga come to the docks. When I learnt that we could have two more visits I call all my senior staff to ensure every thing was running smoothly. At the table you mentioned you once were friends with a Danish girl.”

William said, “Yes her name was Kirsten Blom of Smallsund 33 Bonhomie Denmark.”I had intended to visit her but I found it almost impossible to get transport to Bonhomie. I had managed to work out I could get a flight to Malmo in Sweden and then a ferry. Unfortunately her father died and then she got a new job. Shortly after that we stopped corresponding when she move to her new job in France.”

Later on the Captain called his Steward and said, “You used to live on Bonhomie do you know this address or this person?

"Yes sir I know the address and we both have met that person recently. I used to know her as Princess Kirsten of Bonhomie and now she is Queen Helga. She used to go everywhere with her cousin Angela. They often pretended they were sisters and would tell people that. I think sir if our guests know those two then we can expect visits from more than one Queen on this trip.”

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

damn that was not fair...

NoraAdrienne's picture

I was all the way into chapter 30 or something when I had to renew my page... and ended up losing all the story to just chapter 1...