Circle in the Sand Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version
IMG_0738.jpeg


This Town

We walked to the entry of the woods and Anna pivoted on her foot and turned to look at something behind us. She had a look sadness on her face, like she was looking at something in the distance, but not behind us. Anna gave a brief sigh and then walked into the tree line.

“Anna likes to do what she calls reflect.”
I only nodded as we stepped into the semi-darkness of the woods and up to the sharp banks of the creek. Anna was already on the other side, still looking into the distance behind us. I assumed, like Wendy, making the jump over the creek was too easy for her as well.

I grabbed onto the rope and swung across and I felt a wind against my back pushing me further onto the other side. I did not think too much about it at the time, I only assumed it was the adrenaline I felt from all that had happened that day. I turned back to the other side only to see it empty and Wendy was standing next to me.
“Jumpin’s faster,” she said as I let go of the rope and we continued our walk to the house.
“We’re really going to go back and talk with Megan’s parents?”
“Depends on what Papa says. He may just go or go with Mama.”
I wondered how the Joels would stand up against the Stephensons. Mr. Stephenson was a lawyer that was true, but he was a corporate lawyer, not one who handled criminal cases. He was laid back until he needed to be and that was seldomly when his wife demanded him to be. Mrs Stephenson was seldom laid back. Everything set her off. One ponders why she had three children when she held disdain toward every other kid in the world.
On the day she was a room mother at our school she demanded to know who had dropped one of the cupcakes that she had specially made on the floor. Her demands were in a tone that was just a hair below the call of a screech owl and we were all just fifth graders who treated a dropped cupcake as a challenge to wipe off just enough contaminated icing to get at the sponge cake below. They were good cupcakes and all they cost us was exposure to true true face of Megan’s mom. I suppose it was a “like mother, like daughter” situation with Megan slowly taking on her mother’s mantle so she could one day be be crowned Queen Banshee of Papillon High School.
The Stephensons were one of the few families that loved to deck out their house during every holiday. They held barbecues in the park for specific groups of people. My family was usually invited but I made valiant efforts to go, eat quickly, and then leave, lest I have the MACS at my back. If the Joels were there, I’d stay longer as they would probably leave me alone.

We walked up the driveway and I glanced again at the car that looked like it came out of the movie “Total Recall”. Perhaps Anna would drive us to school. It sure would beat having to take the bus or mom my driving me. Mr and Miss Joel were already standing on the front porch.
“We have to meet with some of the parents.”
“A neighborhood welcoming party. They are very welcoming indeed, Mary.”
“Not exactly,” Anna replied. “They’re riled about Wendy not standing down to their daughters.”
“And no Joel has has ever backed down from a battle,” Wendy said.
“No, daughter, no Joel has ever backed down from a battle to defend another.” Miss Joel said as she pointed fingers at her girls. “We cannot forget that.”
“I know,” Anna replied.
“I simply enjoy soirees,” Mr. Joel shouted and pointed in the direction of the woods.

I walked with Wendy as Anna, and their parents walked in front of us. We entered through the same way we came through earlier but something seemed…different. I could hear what sounded like a roaring river. Yes, during the winter and spring the water could get high and fast, but it was never as loud as it was at that moment. I abruptly stopped as Mr Joel took a step back and allowed his family to walk in front of him over an ornate bridge.
The rope was still there, it was tied to a tree and everything about the area looked the same except for that bridge! I followed behind Wendy and Mr. Joel followed us across the raging waters. Had the city’s installed it or was there another way to go that we must have stumbled upon in the sunset?

We walked up the street and I could see Megan standing with her parents. Mr. Stephenson looked like he didn’t want to be there, and Mrs. Stephenson had that expression that screamed she wears after blood. It she couldn’t knock a kid down a few pegs then she would take it out on her parents.

“Damien Joel. This is my beloved, Mary Anne, and I believe you have already met Anna and Wendy.”
“Pleasure,” Mr, Stephenson replied as he shook Mr. Joel’s hand. “I’m William and this is my wife, Sheila, and-”
“Mister and and Mrs Joel, we need to discuss your daughter’s behavior toward my daughter and her friends and to the neighborhood.’ Megan’s mom wasn’t interested in introductions as she went straight right into it.
“Of course,” Mr, Joel replied as he turned to Anna and Wendy. “Now, what I have heard from my girls is that Wendy and her friend, young Jeffrey, were climbing a tree, specifically that one.” He pointed to the tree one house down. “You were afraid they would fall from the tree and asked them to come down. They did as they instructed. Very good job in keeping the neighborhood kids safe, madam.”
“I agree. There are uncaring people in this world. It’s a godsend you’re one of the good ones,” Miss Joel added.
“Yes, as Wendy and young Jeffrey told me, they were almost caught in a disagreement with some ne’er do wells. The scuffle was avoided when everyone decided to leave the situation alone. That is astounding, Will and Shiela. We must all try to take care of the future generation.”
“Mr. Joel, your daughter, Wendy, attacked my daughter.”
“I believe these two never touched. I taught my daughters to never initiate a fuss, but to try and talk the hostilities down. Of course, youth can be overzealous and talk fails. We then must draw the line. Make a circle in the sand and stand up to defend ourselves. Megan never entered the circle and Wendy never touched her.”
“My daughter has bruising from your daughter!” Mrs. Stephenson yelled.
I looked to the Joels. Their expressions stayed calm, even Wendy. I know that if anyone was yelling at me and about me, my knees would be shaking.
“Sheila, now, I’m sure her bruising is from a possible trip and fall a few days ago. Perhaps one of her friends tripped and fell against her, causing her to brush against something. Say, a bookshelf at her friend Shonda’s house?”
“Is that accurate, Miss Pounders?” Mr. Joel asked as Shonda and her parents stepped up from the side.
Shonda stood with all eyes looking at her and then looked down to the sidewalk.
“Yes,” she muttered.
“Ah, very good. Just a missive of the time. Children have no concept to it and it all blurs together. Just like that,” Mr. Joel said with a snap of his fingers.
“Mr. Joel?” Shonda’s father asked and brought his hand out.
“Yes, you must be Reginald. Great name, by the name. Never let anyone call you Reg or Reggie. Makes a total mockery of the name. It’s the name of a king’s advisor, very important in a society of a kingdom.”
“Uhh, yes, and this my wife, Helen and daughter Shonda.”
“Very nice to make your acquaintance.”
“We were speaking with William and Sheila about the importance of keeping our children safe in this neighborhood. That no one should feel threatened or ashamed to play as they wish to.”
“I agree,” Mr. Pounders responded as he looked at the Stephensons.
“Well, I suppose we can say that there was a missed communication between all of the kids.”
“They can be guilty of being mendacious at times,” Miss Joel stated with a smile.
“Yes, well, it was nice to meet you. Perhaps we can get together sometime.”
“We would be honored, William. Absolutely honored. Good day to you as well, Reginald.”
Mr Joel shook their hands and then lead his family down the road back to the wooded area.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, Jeffrey,” Wendy stated as stopped in front of my house.
“See you, Wendy. Oh, I have to go with my mom to shop for school. Do you want to come?”
“You can go with Anna and meet up for shopping.”
“I can go shopping?” Anna replied with glee. “If I can, then I’ll take her with me.”
“You’re also going to take her school,” Miss Joel added.
“I’ll take the young and loving couple to school too,” Anna replied with a wink to me. “I’ll be nice.”
“Duly noted,” Mr. Joel replied as he nodded to me and started walking across the street.
“Can I get a new purse? I’m going to need a sweater. I’m thinkin’ white.”
“See you, Jeff!” Wendy shouted as she ran into the woods.

I looked up the street to see the Stephenson’s and Pounders still out. Mrs. Stephenson’s voice was loud again but I couldn’t understand anything except one sentence: “What the hell just happened, Will?”

I then remembered the bridge! I ran to the woods and to the edge of the creek. The bridge was gone, and the rushing water was tranquil.

up
32 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A Combination of Irish and Voodoo?

joannebarbarella's picture

They certainly cooled the situation down, but that magic didn't figure into the conversation. Disappearing bridges didn't make anything clearer.

If only . . . .

Emma Anne Tate's picture

If only disagreements and bullying could be stopped by the calm voice of sweet reason, as it was here. If only the world had more people like the Joels, and fewer like MACs.

Thanks, Aylesea.

Emma

Like mother like daughter I

Like mother like daughter I wonder who throws the bigger temper tantrum (like a two year old) when they don't get their way? I guess she's raising the next generation of bad seeds.