Sam and Del -4- My mom is up to something...

Printer-friendly version

Sam's mom offers to take him to a hair salon, a place where they "really respect hair". Reluctantly, Sam agrees but if he sees any scissors, he's out of there...

SamAndDel03.jpg
Sam and Del
by Erin Halfelven

4. My mom is up to something...

While I sat thumbing through a salon-centric magazine, another woman approached. "I'm Layla," she said. "Sam, right?" I nodded. She had to talk loud for me to hear her, and I didn't feel like shouting back. She said, "Your Mom says you might want a mani-pedi."

I glanced at Mom across the room, getting her own hair done, and she nodded, smiling at me. I shrugged and looked back at Layla. She had coffee-with-cream-colored skin, hair and eyes and a style to go with it—sophisticated but relaxed. I liked her immediately. Maybe it was the braids.

She went on. "No color, just clean up your nails and shape them. Maybe some clear matte polish; no one can tell you're wearing it. You'll love it." She made it sound good.

I was still suspicious. Mom was smiling at me like she does when we're having eggplant for dinner. But who doesn't like getting pampered? While Janet worked on my hair, I had already seen an older gentleman getting his nails done. And not a gay guy, just an average-looking businessman who probably worked in one of the downtown offices.

Who was going to know? "Okay," I said. Honestly, it would be interesting to see what her work looked like.

Layla told me that all the clear polishes weren't really matte and had a slight shine to them. "We can pick an almost invisible matte color, like the same color as your nails."

"Um? Show me," I said.

We ended up with a color so close to my own nails that it really was invisible. Layla used it on my hands and feet, both. After shaping and filing the nails, she smoothed them and applied a base coat, then two coats of the magical invisible color and a clear non-gloss top varnish. After each layer, she put the hand or foot involved under a hood where an ultraviolet light and fan helped dry the polish quickly.

We finished about the same time Janet came to turn off the dryer. Just like Layla had described, my nails were neat and clean, without obvious polish on them. They looked great, and I told her so. "Thank you," I called back as Janet led me back to her station in front of the big mirrors. I caught another glimpse of myself with my hair done up in the huge rollers.

Layla grinned at me. "Next time, we'll do French nails," she teased, and I made a face at her to get her to giggle. Okay, I may have giggled, too. I liked Layla.

I liked Janet, too. Her blond hair was almost the same color as mine as she undid the rollers and gently combed and brushed the curls into a cascade down my back. I watched how she did this in the mirror, debating if I were willing to commit to such an arduous task every morning. Maybe not.

But the effect was stupendous. My hair had never looked so good!

"I love it," I told Janet.

"It's beautiful, Sam," Mom said, coming over to get a better look. She winked at me, or maybe at Janet.

Something was going on there that I wasn't catching. Mom seemed to have a plan. You should always be suspicious when your mom looks like she's got an egg to hatch. Or one to plant. I should have been more wary, but I was enjoying myself.

Mom looked at my hands and asked, "What color did they do your nails? I got mine in Wine and Roses."

I sniffed. "Nothing so girly for me, though they do look nice, Mom. I think the bottle said 'Champagne', but it's almost more of a 'Seashell', huh?" I spread my hands out where she could see. "What do you think?"

"Good choice," she said. She grinned at me, then nodded toward Layla, who smiled and wrinkled her nose.

"They dried them really quick with that UV light, so we don't have to wait," I mentioned. "I think I kind of like how it looks, and you really can't tell, can you?"

"Not at all," she agreed, smiling at me.

Well, there are mirrors everywhere in a salon, and I spent a while admiring my new curls since I could easily see myself from every angle. This hadn't turned out to be such a bad idea after all. Mom was busy finding out the damage done to her credit card, and I didn't want to have to know.

The afternoon had completely gone by the time we were done, and maybe it hadn't cost quite as much as I had supposed. Janet mentioned something about a discount, and Mom had had her hair and nails done, too, so all the financial injury wasn't mine.

"Now, Sam, do you want a set of curlers like those for yourself? And maybe a handheld air-only hairdryer?" Mom asked. The salon sold those things, but the prices seemed high. We paused at the door to look at the hair tools in the display case.

"Uh?" I said, looking at the colorful curlers in their boxes. "Well, it might be nice, but that would cost more money." One box was labeled 'The BIG Assortment' and included rollers from teeny-tiny, less-than-a-quarter-inch, up to mondo-hugeness-six-inchers. I wouldn't use the little ones, but the whole box still appealed to me.

She shrugged. "I want you to be happy, Sam. Your hair is obviously important to you. Enough that you're willing to hurt someone for it."

I winced. "I didn't do it on purpose," I protested. I pushed the door open and followed Mom out to the parking lot.

She looked back at me and shook her head. "Oh, I think you did. You could have just screamed when he attacked you and let the coaches deal with it. But you used force against force, and you might have killed that boy. That's why you got suspended." Mom could spread the guilt like a pro.

I sighed. I couldn't argue, and I did regret what happened to Leon. He was an asshole and a bully, but I didn't want him seriously hurt. "Yes, ma'am," I said. I sniffled a bit. A moment ago, I'd been so happy with my new curls and my nails.

"Cheer up." She let up on the scowling and smiled at me. "Let's talk to your father," she said as we climbed into the car and fastened out safety belts. "Before we spend any more money. Maybe he'll have a new idea about how to deal with all this."

This kind of surprised me. Dad was often the softie of the parental-units, willing to accept explanations and work out compromises. Mom had a stiffer attitude about transgressions, usually. "Okay," I agreed. "Do you think he'll like my hair?" I asked, all innocent and stupid.

"I'm sure he'll have something to say," she offered with an aubergine smile.

*

up
302 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start...

Donna T's picture

I like your story and wish it was a few paragraphs (or pages) longer. I want to know what dad has to say.

Regards,
Dee

Donna

I'll be posting this about once a week

erin's picture

Or if you are in a bigger hurry, there are more chapters on Patreon. :)

Thanks for the comment.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Sparks may fly...

erin's picture

... in any case. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I don't see how his mom doesn

KateElizabethSuhr13's picture

I don't see how his mom doesn't see that it was self defense. I mean sure his hair was pulled but that could be considered sexual harassment not to mention bullying all of which gave Sam the right to defend himself. If anything the school should be sued.

Interesting point

erin's picture

When Dad weighs in, it will be clearer. Basically, the school and Mom are upset because Sam did something that resulted in a serious injury when he could have simply called for help. The problem isn't whether self-defense was involved but whether Sam's response was proportionate.

Thanks for commenting!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Simply called for help?

But could Sam really have simply called for help when the kick to his head was on its way? And it's not as though the school wasn't aware, or should have been aware, of the bullying and did nothing about it.

It seems his mother thinks he should have been injured, possibly to the point of hospitalization, rather than take action to defend himself.

Read closer

erin's picture

The kick had already missed when Sam pushed Leon off balance. Ideally, the time to call for help is before the kick. Sam had taken defensive action, curling up behind his backpack, but he didn't attract attention to what was going on.

The principal is being an ass, and so was the coach. But Sam is the one who almost killed someone.

I understand that people want to be on Sam's side on this, and legally, he was probably within his rights to protect himself from assault. That doesn't mean his actions cannot be criticized reasonably. Even Sam thinks he made a mistake.

But the story has its own logic, keep reading and see. :)

Thanks for the thoughtful comment.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Very articulate!

Donna T's picture

Very articulate!

Donna

Thanks!

erin's picture

Keep reading. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Disturbed

Hypothetical situation: Leon tried to kick Sam in the head. Had the kick landed as intended the injuries to Sam could have been fatal. But they weren't. So Sam doesn't defend himself, just yells for help. Now the cavalry might or might not arrive in time to prevent further attacks; but I can say from bitter experience that Leon would attampt to silence Sam. So, enter kick #2, delivered with far more malace and better aim. This kick would land almost assuredly.

Flash forward 30 days. Sam is still in the ICU. He had a depressed skull fracture, a piece of the fractured bone driven into his brain. Doctors are discussing long-term care with his parents, he shows no higher brain function. The issue with his hair is moot, it was all shaved off before the first surgery, which was performed in the hopes of reducing the pressure caused by the brain swelling.

On the bright side, Sam isn't in trouble for fighting back. His parents are no doubt pleased.

I've seen it happen, pretty much just like this. Real World


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It's cool...

erin's picture

It's cool how everyone is taking Sam's side in this. :) It's more or less what I intended, and I don't disagree that Sam was justified in defending himself.

Thanks for commenting.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

What world is mom living on?

Jamie Lee's picture

So according to mom, Sam should have called for help from a coach who is biased against Sam because of his long hair? How would that have worked, since he didn't do anything to stop Leon from harassing Sam during PE.

So because others have made it their business to hate Sam's long hair, when it's none of their business to begin with, it's all Sam's fault because he gets bullied for having long hair? Bullied to the point of almost getting hurt himself?

Sam's mom, and the ass in the school office, neglect to notice it was Leon who instigated it all. It was Leon who decided to make it his business to bully Sam about his hair. And it was Leon who put himself into the position where he got hurt in trying to kick Sam in the face.

What punishment will he be getting because of his actions? None, period. It was all Sam's fault because of his long hair.

So why is mom more upset Leon got what he deserved for what he tried to do, than her son almost got his face kicked in? Both parents should be crawling down the Principal's throat for what Leon attempted and the coaches attitude.

So mom is trying to make Sam appear more feminine so boys will hit on him, thinking he is a girl? Thereby making it repulsive to Sam and thinking it will force Sam to get a hair cut.

Ya know, if everyone would concentrate on really important things instead of Sam's hair, things wouldn't be so volatile at the moment. Because if mom's idea is to have something happen that totally repulses Sam so he gets his hair cut, backfires, and the wrong guy mistakes him for a girl, mom could be attending her son's funeral.

Others have feelings too.

She smiled

Dee Sylvan's picture

an aubergine smile... I know what an aubergine is and its use in social media, but what is an aubergine smile? Good story, just re-reading to catch back up to the newest postings. Dee

DeeDee

Two things

erin's picture

Sam had already mentioned that his mom has a particular smile she makes when they are having eggplant for dinner...plus it's a good bet she's wearing purple lipstick. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.