Sam and Del -15- Never thought I'd be trying on dresses!

Printer-friendly version

"Sam, you look like the ingenue in a musical."

samanddel-cov4-001_0.jpg
Sam and Del
15. Never thought I'd be trying on dresses!
by Erin Halfelven

I had to go out to break up the Great Mom Conspiracy, so I put on a big smile and pulled my braids in front before exiting the changing room.

"What do you think?" I asked, almost but not quite twirling. The skirt was long enough that it sort of swished around my legs.

Mrs. D smiled approvingly, and Mom smirked at me.

"You look lovely, dear," Mrs. D enthused. "Those dramatic colors make you look like a starlet."

"Uh—?" I blushed. I glanced at the big mirror but pulled my eyes away before Mom could comment on my vanity.

She had a different zinger ready. "Sam, you look like you're ready to sing a song, like the ingenue in a musical."

The what now?

"Do you let her wear makeup?" Mrs. D asked. "Not that she needs any, but you mentioned performing, and I think she would be a natural on stage."

"She's certainly the chief source of drama around our house," Mom agreed with a glint in her eye that someone else might have described as a twinkle. But I knew Mom—she was hatching a plot. "She hasn't had much interest in makeup until just recently."

Oh! A bald-faced lie! I was not and never had been interested in makeup.

"Maybe just a touch of mascara and some lip color," Mrs. D suggested.

I retreated to the changing room again.

"How many more outfits do you have to try, dear?" Mom called after me.

I looked: the last top-and-skirt combo, yellow-print blouse with white daisies and soft green short skirt, plus the purple dress. "Two," I said.

"Okay, honey," she said. "Don't dawdle, and we can go get some lunch afterward."

"Uh—." I sensed a trap. I wasn't even hungry, and Mrs. D had already suggested she would meet her husband and Del in the food court. "Can we go to the Cheesecake Factory?" I asked, trying to sound innocent. CF was at the far end of the parking lot, well away from the mall lunch stalls.

Mom snorted but did not reply, but I heard her and Mrs. D hatching some plot.

The green skirt was way short, but the white and yellow flowers in the top looked terrific, even with my hair still in braids. I stepped out to let the ladies get a look, and the cashier clapped her hands together. "Oh!" she said. "Those legs! Do you ride a bike all the time?"

"Uh, no," I said. I looked in the mirror. Okay, face it, I did have very nice legs.

Mrs. D commented, "You need heels with that skirt, young Sam. Make those games look even longer and more slender." Then she cackled. "If Del were to see you now..."

"Isn't he meeting you for lunch?" Mom asked.

"Yes," Mrs. D replied. "He and Umbert will meet me there. I want Chinese, Umbert wants a steak sandwich, and Del will probably get one of those monster burgers with the onion rings inside."

"I want to go to Cheesecake Factory," I tried again. "We never get to the one that's closer."

"Del likes the place too," Mrs. D commented. "Perhaps you and he could go there?"

That stopped me. "Del and me?" I squeaked. "Go together?"

Mrs. D nodded, looking pleased. Mom seemed about ready to bust a gut, so I glared at her on general principles. "Del doesn't like me. He pulled my hair!" I protested.

"Well, he did apologize, didn't he? He told me he did."

"Um, yeah," I admitted. He apologized several times while he was crouching on the floor, and Mr. Kant made me apologize for punching him. 

"Everything fits, doesn't it, dear?" Mom asked.

"Sure," I said, startled. I looked down to see what I was wearing. "Oh, I haven't tried the purple dress," I remembered.

"It's a wrap style. I'm sure it will fit. Go put that on, and you can wear it out. Just pass me all the tags, and I'll pay."

"All of them?" I tried not to cringe.

"Mmm, hmm," said Mom. "That's the agreement. We buy you new clothes, and you wear them."

I sighed, heading for the changing room again. Two skirts, two tops, a dress and a gym set: I would be well supplied with girl's clothes of my own and not have to borrow from Hannah. Oh, joy.

I quickly got out of the green skirt and the top, wondering vaguely if I would ever wear them again. The skirt was awfully short, "And besides," I told myself quietly, "I'm a guy."

Mom poked her head in while I was standing there in my girly underwear to collect all the tags. "Jeez, Mom," I complained.

"Oh, hush," she said. "Put the dress on, and we'll go get some lunch." 

"Cheesecake Factory?" I said hopefully. 

"Maybe," she lied, and we both knew it, then she withdrew with the tags.

"Huff," I said, staring at the dress on the hangar. But I had to wear something.

The wrap-around styling baffled me for a bit. You put it on kind of like a shirt, tied a little string to a hidden loop inside at the waist, then wrapped the rest of the dress right-to-left across and tied it off with a big cloth belt. It had lots of ruffles at the shoulders, neckline, waist and hem, part of what confused me.

The color was more lavender than purple, and the price tag said $78. I hoped that paying that much would make Mom and Dad wince. The only suit I owned hadn't cost that, and it was more than half as much as the other three sets of things put together.

At least it almost reached my knees, but the way it folded in the front gave a glimpse of my inner thighs. I stared at myself in the mirror. This was a sophisticated party dress, and it made me look older than fourteen! And sexy. No other word for it. Holy crap!

"Mom!" I called out, almost panicking. "Mom! Come here, please!" I went to the curtain and stuck my head out, but Mom was using her credit card at the counter.

Mrs. D beamed at me and started to say something, but just then her phone rang. While she dealt with that, I called to Mom again. "Mom, please. I'm not leaving this booth until you come see."

"What? The dress?" she peered over her shoulder at me. "Just come out far enough to show me."

I heard Mrs. D say to someone, "Yes, we're in LaRue, looking at dresses."

I stepped out where Mom could see me. Her eyebrows went up. "Which of us picked that out?"

"You did," I accused. The real problem was at the hem, but the neckline almost showed the lace of my bra! I didn't know what to do with my hands.

"Oh, my, Sam," Mrs. D said. "That's stunning." She held her phone up, pointed at me. "Can you see this?" she asked someone.

I didn't like that, but Mom had said nothing else, so I prompted her. "Mom, please? Do you want me to wear this?"

She blinked, then smiled. "You're going to need shoes...."

lavenderwrap01.jpg


up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is getting entirely out of hand…….

D. Eden's picture

Sam’s mother is not only going all out to humiliate her in front of someone who knows her, I really wonder if she has any idea just how much real physical danger she is putting Sam in.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I agree. Hopefully there has

I agree. Hopefully there has been some pre planing between the two moms that Sam and us readers are not aware of. Maybe Del is gay and that's why he was bullying Sam. Maybe Del is ok with transgenders because he had another friend transition and he is a "safe" friend (minus the bullying). I get that Sam needs to learn a lesson (and come to terms with who she is) but this might be taking things too far if it's completely spontaneous.

Wait, wait :)

erin's picture

A conspiracy instead of spontaneous goofiness? :) I dunno, sounds paranoid to me. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

You

are both reading way too much into this story. I think it is really fun and funny.

Kathleen

I think

erin's picture

I think you can trust me not to blow my quirky, gentle comedy apart with scenes of torture and degradation. The possums are in the shed out back. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Eep!

I almost forgot about the possoms in the shed! How's Sam gonna get her boy clothes out of the shed with them in there? I mean, his boy clothes. I mean .. ummm ... that is ... hrmmm. Maybe Sam won't need to worry 'bout 'em possoms? ;)

Worry

erin's picture

Sam always worries about the possums. One way this story could end is that Sam's parents could tell thim that that thay could have thair boy clothes back to wear if thay just go get them out of the shed. "Nope, nope," Sam would say. "I'll just keep wearing dresses." :D

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I wonder ...

... who's on the other side of Mrs D's phone? If it's Del, how he'll react when he sees Sam? In the last chapter, his mom said he thought Sam dressed like a boy. Does that mean he sees Sam as a tomboy? So many interesting questions! Thanks so much for sharing another wonderful chapter of this story! :)

Actually

erin's picture

Actually, it's Humbert, Del's dad, on the phone. And we will find out what Del thinks of Sam soon. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Kettle, pot.

erin's picture

Pot, kettle. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Date

Yep her mom is scheming she picked that dress for a date.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Well, yeah

erin's picture

It IS a great date dress, isn't it? It is, BTW, from the online LULUS catalog. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

You had to say that,

didn't you? Now I'm going to have to go look for it for real, I love that dress! I was planning to go look for it by description, knowing I'd never find it and be satisfied with that. But Nooooo! Now I'm going to have to look where you said, probably find it and then have the dilemma of buy it or not. Brat!

Dress

Sold out


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

A comedy of errors.

Angharad's picture

I think someone might have used that already. If this is a plot, from the cost of the dress alone, it would be a very expensive haircut. Thanks for another episode.

Angharad

That's cheap

Many date-style dresses, or just non-casual dresses are well in excess of $100, and $200 wouldn't be out of line. A $1,000 dress might seem out of line, but there are a lot of them for sale out there, so somebody is buying them.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Online prices

erin's picture

Online prices tend to be lower, but in the case of this specific dress--I'm looking at a springtime catalog in August. I think this dress was on clearance. Looking at the photos, it used to come in other colors but all that's left is the lavender.

I wish I was young enough and slim enough to shop at LULUS, they have some kicky stuff!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Shopping

I do around 99% of my shopping online. My online purchases are $75+, Skirts are $49-$79+, blouses are anywhere from $19 up to $79 or higher. (I buy most of my lingerie locally, and NOT from the various *marts.) I try to stay in the high teens to mid-thirties, style-wise. I'm a size 10, so I can pull it off. And this being a university town, the thrift stores are just packed with clothing in my styles and sizes.

This dress closed out at $55, but is no longer available. Sorry


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thanks for commenting

erin's picture

The dress is somewhat cheaper online, but I figured a store might mark up such a dress a bit.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Great Story!

Enemyoffun's picture

Played catch up on this whole story over the last day or so, I LOVE it. Sam is an AMAZING character. I enjoy every bit of his wit and snark. This is a smart, fun story. I can't wait to read more :)

Thanks for commenting!

erin's picture

Sam is fun to write. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Sometimes Gender is Fluid

BarbieLee's picture

Not having read the earlier chapters I wanted to look at the style and flow of the story. Certainly not disappointed. The dialog and descriptive is very well paced and compliments each other rather than just tossed in. I'm positive if I delved into the story it would pull me in along with the actors and actresses.
Hugs Erin
Barb
If we never try, never move from our comfort zone and reach out for our dream, we lost before we began.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Thoughtful

erin's picture

Jump in! The story is fine. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Out of control

Mom is having some perverted fantasy trying to turn her son gay. Ignoring what her son is telling her might end up causing psychological as well as possibly physical damage.

ShadowCat

Not that kind of story

erin's picture

It really isn't. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I take it

your not much of a sc-fi/fantasy reader. I think the story is mucho fun.

Kathleen