Sam and Del -16- Who could possibly eat lunch?

Printer-friendly version

Now I was supposed to waggle my wings to show I understood.

samanddel-cov4-001_0.jpg
Sam and Del
16. Who could possibly eat lunch?
by Erin Halfelven

It happened so fast. We got out of LaRue's with a huge bag of stuff, me wearing the lavender wrap dress and Mrs. D still babbling on the phone to her husband.

"Ask Del how he feels about taking Sam to the Cheesecake Factory. She wants to go," she said.

I—what? Distracted by the swishyness of the wrap skirt, it took me more than a moment to realize what Mom had suggested. This was not going according to plan. I looked around, trying to plot an escape route, but we were practically in the middle of the mall.

Mrs. D broke into a peal of laughter then waved her fingers at me. "Del is asking if you promise not to punch him this time if he admires your hair?"

"I—no!" I wasn't going to promise any such thing! I shook my head, then put a hand on one of my braids. Now Mom was laughing at me!

"She won't," Mrs. D told her phone, choosing to misunderstand me. Grinning, she turned, putting the phone away. Then she pointed at the other visible end of the curving mall hallway where someone was waving. "There they are!" she said.

I squinted, peering that direction. Yikes! It was Del and the man I had identified as his father, waving at us like we were going to land on their carrier. I saw that in a movie once, I think. Now I was supposed to waggle my wings to show I understood.

To heck with that! Maybe I could hide in the shoe store again? But no, they were between me and it, now.

The tall, dark-haired boy who had pulled my hair in the cafeteria called out to me. "Sam?" He had a smiling mouth but the same sad eyes I remembered.

"It's me," I said—no point denying it. I moved the bag of clothes I was carrying in front of me, sort of trying to hide behind it. It was big enough, being the bag with all the outer clothes we had purchased.

Del (yes, it was him) stepped right up to me. "Let me carry that for you," he offered. He took the bag, and I hadn't thought I would let him, but I was busy noticing how tall he was. Over six feet by some inches, I was sure. I know I'm not very big, but I felt tiny.

I blurted out a question, "How tall are you?" I knew it was rude when I asked.

He grinned. "Six-three," he answered. "How tall are you?"

Equally rude, so I didn't answer.

He put the bag under his arm and fell in beside me, following our collective parents. We were evidently going somewhere, but I had no idea where.

"You're a freshman, right?" Del asked. "Do you have Mr. Muller for Science?"

"Oh, my God!" I exclaimed. I nodded. "The man is insane!" I laughed, and Del nodded agreement.

"He's a hoot," he added. "Has he done the trick with putting sodium in a bucket of water yet? Almost set the building on fire when he did it my freshman year."

We both laughed.

"He mentioned that when he did it for my class. Said that was why he was using only five grams instead of twenty!" We laughed again.

I was still smiling at him when he apologized. "I'm sorry about pulling your hair last fall," he said. "The guys dared me to do it."

"Yeah, well," I said, a bit sour. I'd almost forgotten for a moment that he was one of my mortal enemies. "It wasn't very nice, but apology accepted."

He was still grinning down at me. "You got me pretty good with that punch. Who knew such a small girl could hit so hard."

Now...now was not the time to tell him I was a boy, standing there wearing padded underwear and makeup with a lavender dress swishing around my knees. Instead, I made a fist and tried to glare up at him. "I guess I'm just the right height?" I said.

He laughed even harder. I stared at him, then glanced around to see if we were attracting attention. Apparently not. Even our parents were ignoring us. I kept staring at him. Even while laughing, his eyes looked sad, like they had missed hearing the joke.

I felt bad about having punched him in the crotch six months ago, now. I hadn't before, not even after getting detention for it or having my suspension lengthened because of it. "I am sorry about punching you," I said when he paused in his laughter to wipe tears from his sad eyes.

"That's okay," he said, smiling more guilt down at me. "I guess I deserved it."

Okay, I giggled a bit at that. Embarrassment? Maybe.

He went on, accepting more responsibility for provoking me. "The guys kept telling me you were a guy, and all that hair was a wig. So they started making bets, mostly that I wouldn't go over and pull your—uh—your wig...." He saw my expression. "What?" he asked.

Would there ever be a better time? I tried to sound as serious as I could, trying to communicate that I was telling the truth. "But, Del, I am a guy!" I told him.

He laughed again, shaking his head. "Remind me never to play poker with you," he said. "That is the deadpanned-est delivery I've ever seen." His grin even reached his eyes this time, and they lit up as his caterpillar brows climbed up his face, and his sleepy eyelids opened up to show his enjoyment of my joke.

Oh, good grief!

"No, really," I said earnestly.

He laughed harder.

"You don't believe me?" I asked. Well, it was obvious that he didn't. I don't know why I asked.

He shook his head, still grinning and chuckling.

I brought up my fist. "I could punch you again," I said. "Would you believe me then?"

He shook his head, trying not to laugh in my face.

It was so ridiculous. I poked him in the belly button with my closed fist. "Del, I am a boy!" I said, but I was giggling myself by now.

He closed his big, basketball-engulfing hand over my tiny one and pulled me closer. "If our parents weren't right there, I'd kiss you and find out for sure."

"Huh?" I managed to say. "What do you mean?" Stop giggling! Had my brain stopped working for some reason?

"I think I could tell kissing a girl apart from kissing a boy," he said, still smiling.

Despite the draft on my legs in the wrap-around skirt, a rush of blood to my face made me feel hot. I choked off the giggles and opened my mouth to dare him to kiss me!

Mrs. D saved me from that foolish thought, "Del, you and Sam head over to the Cheesecake Factory. She's got her heart set on it."

Mom was holding her hand out with something that looked like money. She pulled me close and whispered to me, "Let him pay if he wants to, but here's enough to cover you if he doesn't." I took the money, but Mom took it back and slipped it into the purse I had forgotten I was carrying.

Del took my hand while his parents and my mom waved at us. He led me to a side door to the mall's inner parking lot. "Do you want a burger or just get a dessert?" he asked.

"D-d-d-d-Del!" I protested. Had Mom just suckered me into going on a date with a boy?

up
186 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

almost had her first kiss

"I choked off the giggles and opened my mouth to dare him to kiss me!"

giggles. well, the day's not over yet.

DogSig.png

Indeed, it's not

erin's picture

There's hope. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Just gets better as it goes on

Sam really has no clue whatsoever how much of a flirt she's being, does she? Makes me wonder what she does at school without understanding how it will be interpreted.

Waiting anxiously for the next part!

Melanie E.

Flirting?

erin's picture

Oh, surely Sam doesn't know how to flirt. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A long time ago ...

... I'd been accused of flirting with someone. I was completely baffled. At best I thought I was being friendly. It took a friend having a long talk with me, explaining how I was acting was seen by others before I sorta got it. While I wasn't completely convinced, I was at least able to accept people saw things differently than I'd been seeing them.

Sam's instincts

erin's picture

Sam is a cheerful sort, normally, and likes to tease. This can certainly come across as flirting, depending on personal dynamics. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A Natural Flirt.

I'm often seen as a flirt and was always unaware of it until I was so attracted to a man on the elevator that by the time the car stopped and the doors opened, I was breathless! I hope that he felt I was friendly and helpful, which was my only intent. These days I keep a watch on myself.

Flirting?

erin's picture

Flirting is a sport best done when fully dressed because if you're naked, it isn't flirting. :)

Especially in an elevator. :D

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

*snortlaughing*

Oh m'gosh ... ya really got me with that line, Erin! *laughing some more*

Ask me not

What can happen in a slow elevator in a (relatively) tall building, I think there are enough dirty minds on here to figure it out.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Heheheh

erin's picture

No doubt!

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wheee!

Finally get to meet Del! He seems pretty nice. Looks like he won't believe Sam is a boy, no matter what. Would a kiss really convince Del? How would he know the difference? Has Del kissed both boys and girls? Would he mind kissing Sam again, if the first kiss wasn't girly enough? Will I stop asking so many questions? ;)

Del

erin's picture

Del is a nice guy who is sometimes taken advantage of by his friends. That's how he got into trouble by pulling Sam's hair. :)

Kisses, so far, are only theoretical. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A boy

Well she clearly needs acting lessons she’s not acting like she is.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

A method actor?

erin's picture

Perhaps there's madness in her method? :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

This story is so much fun!

Hi Erin
Out of all the current series on BC this is the one I look forward to reading the next chapter the most.
It's just so much fun!
Thank you for sharing this with us!
Hugs
Loretta

You're welcome :)

erin's picture

Wait until the pie fight scene!

Hugs,
Erin

*NOTE: there is no pie fight scene, they're going to the CHEESECAKE Factory. :)

- Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I am still bothered…….

D. Eden's picture

By how Sam’s mother keeps conspiring to push him into these situations. It is almost as though she is dead set on putting him in a position of potentially getting hurt badly, or perhaps even killed. Is this her way of punishing him, or simply forcing him to get a haircut?

No matter how much she thinks he is acting like a girl, or how much she wants another daughter, her actions are reckless in the extreme.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Logic

erin's picture

The tension you perceive is necessary for dramatic purposes, but I think it's pretty obvious that I am not telling the story you fear.

Lighten up! It's fiction! You might as well worry about Gertrude and Heathcliff, the two seagulls in some of Red Skelton's jokes. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I feel !ike

making a list of all the people on here who don't seem to get the idea of fiction and posting with a warning they are clueless.

Kathleen

I love this story, it's so

I love this story, it's so cute and light. I burst out laughing at the height comment, "how tall are you" followed by realising how rude that was, followed by being offended by being asked the same.

Laughing

erin's picture

I laughed when I wrote that sequence. :) Sam keeps proving she's a natural blonde. :D

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.