Runway | Chapter 40:

Printer-friendly version

Runway
Chapter 40

by Arecee

Brenda met Bill two days later at Danny’s restaurant.

“How’s my favorite girl?” Danny asked when she walked in.

“I’m just fine Danny, and you?” she asked.

“I’m fine now that you’re here.”

“Always the flirt, Danny. I don’t know what I’d do without you,” Brenda said, the sarcasm dripping in her voice.

Danny could see a change in his friend. Her innocence had disappeared, and had been replaced with a hardness he hadn’t noticed before.

“Meeting your friend again?”

“Yes, and this might be the last time, we’ll see.”

“I hope it’s not. I’d really like to see you again,” he said.

“I’d like that Danny, I learned a lot about myself thanks to you,” Brenda said.

Bill walked in at that point so Danny would have to wait.

“Hi Bill, lets take that table over there, it’s private,” Brenda said.

Bill and Brenda sat at the table and Brenda started.

“Bill, Melissa’s boyfriend told me he’s her partner in the escort thing and as far I can tell he’s probably the source of her drugs,” she said.

“Well hi to you too Brenda, are we in rush or something?” he asked.

“Yes I am. I’m the one that has to go out on dates because of this bullshit, and I don’t want to get started with that if I don’t have to,’ she said.

Brenda’s tone of voice left no doubt as to her state of mind concerning the investigation

“Sorry Brenda, so Melissa’s boyfriend told you he’s her partner?” Bill asked.

“Yes.”

“Why would he do that?” he asked.

“I told Melissa the only way I would be an escort was to have his assurance that I wouldn’t be going to jail.”

“And he bought that?” he asked.

“Every bit of it. How do you want to proceed from here?” Brenda asked.

“I guess we start watching him. We need someone inside and I don’t know how we will be able to put a new face in his department without being noticed.”

“Tiffany has a friend that might be able to help. What about the rest?”

“I can have him followed when he’s not at work, but you’ll have to take care of Melissa.”

“That should be easy. I’ve gained her trust so she’ll be fine when I’m around.”

“Good, I think we might be able to sew this thing up in a month or so. Watch your back Brenda these people will do anything to protect their investment,” Bill said.

“I will, but I don’t know if I can last for a month. Hopefully we’ll find a link to Natalia’s murder,” Brenda said.

“I doubt we will, but there is always a chance. I have to go now, I have a date and not with mom,” Bill chuckled.

“Have a nice time Bill, I’ll talk to you later,” Brenda said.

“Did you eat?” Danny asked as Brenda walked to the bar.

“Not yet, I thought I would stick around and have a bite with you, if you don’t mind?”

“Are you kidding, I truly miss you Brenda. I’ve grown to like you more than just as a friend over the last six months,” Danny said.

“You’ve become special to me too Danny, I really like you a lot,” she said as she took his hand and held it.

“When all this business stuff is over will you come back to visit on occasion?” he asked.

“I’d like that Danny.”

Brenda ate a light dinner and kissed Danny goodbye. She almost wanted to stay and knew what would happen if she did. She wanted to feel Danny hold her again. Danny made her feel safe, and why was a mystery to her. She was in love with Mario, but there was something about Danny that made her feel secure. Maybe it was because he was her first sexual encounter and had given herself to him, and that was making her feel the way she did.

Brenda had become a different person than the one that moved to New York six months ago. She still loved Mario dearly, but how could she be the same with him after all she had done in this investigation. If he knew half of what she had done it would be over between them, not to mention what was going to happen when he found out she was an FBI agent and had investigated him. Many things were swirling in Brenda’s head and none of them pleasant.

The following week Melissa sent Brenda on a date every night, she wanted to get her moneys worth from the girl and Brenda was falling further into her deception.

Mario was beginning to wonder why Brenda had no time for him. He knew she had long hours, but he missed his love and they needed to talk.

Mario walked into the office to make his customary delivery.

“Hi sweetheart,” Brenda said.

“Hi, how are you doing?” he asked.

“Fine, what’s up?” she asked.

“Nothing much, but we have to talk about us, I miss seeing you and I would like you to spend some time with me instead of Melissa,” Mario said.

“I’m sorry Mario, I know I’ve been avoiding you but it’s not like I want to. It’s just that Melissa has all these duties for me to perform and I haven’t even had time for myself. Please don’t be angry with me,” Brenda said.

“I’m not angry with you; I just miss you that’s all. I know I’m being selfish but you’re my girlfriend and we should spend more time together and that’s why I need to know what’s going on with you,” Mario said.

“Why don’t we have dinner tonight and we’ll talk this thing out. I don’t want to lose you Mario, you know I love you,” she said.

“There’s more to a relationship than love Brenda, it’s spending time together. I’ll pick you up after you get off work,” Mario said as he left.

“Brenda, I have another date for you this evening,” Melissa said as she walked through the door.

“Melissa, I’ve been on a date every night this week and I have something I have to do tonight, so you’ll have to find some one else,” Brenda said.

“But you’re my most popular escort Brenda. Think of the money you won’t earn,” she said.

“Melissa, I need a break. I just can’t do it tonight,” Brenda said.

“Alright, I get Connie to do it, but my customer won’t be happy,” Melissa groused.

“I’m sorry Melissa, I’ll make up for it. I just can’t do it tonight,” Brenda said.

“I’ll remember that,” Melissa said as she walked into her office.

Brenda knew Melissa would remember. She liked having people owe her and took advantage of it when they did.

Mario showed up on time and escorted his girlfriend to a small restaurant several blocks from where Brenda worked. They found a secluded table so they wouldn’t be bothered while they talked.

“Thank you for asking me out Mario, I’ve missed you,” Brenda said, to break the ice.

“I’m glad you could make it, I was beginning to think you didn’t want to see me anymore,” he said.

“Mario, if it was up to me, I’d spend every moment of every day with you. You have no idea of how much I love you,” Brenda said with a tear in her eye.

“Then why have you been avoiding me?” he asked.

“It’s a long story and a lot of it I can’t tell you about. It’s too private and before I tell you what I am going to, I want you to know I never did anything to hurt you. I love you too much for that, but I’ve had to do things I’m not proud of but they had to be done,” Brenda said. “You have to promise me that what ever I tell you will go no further than here. You can’t tell your family or anyone else, my life depends on it. Can I trust you?”

“Of course you can trust me, but what could be so secretive that I would have to make a promise like that?” he asked.

“You’ll see. The first thing you have to know is that I’m not who I seem to be, oh, I am the receptionist at the agency that you know, but the reason I have that job is that I’m an undercover FBI agent investigating drug trafficking being conducted by Melissa and her group. Everyone with any contact with Universal had to be investigated, even you. Having to look into your past was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. You’re probably asking yourself why I’m telling you this now, and why I trust you. It’s because we know where the drugs are coming from and it’s not from you. Secondly I trusted you from the minute I met you even though the agency investigated you I had nothing to do with that. I couldn’t tell you any of this until now and even now I shouldn’t but I love you too much to keep this secret from you, I hope you can forgive me,” Brenda said.

“You had me investigated?” Mario asked, with an edge in his voice.

“I didn’t, the FBI did. I’m sorry, but you weren’t the only one to be looked at,” Brenda said.

“But why me?” he asked.

“Because you deliver packages everyday and you had that incident in Colombia,” she said.

“I told you that in confidence. How could you tell someone else about that?”

“I didn’t tell anyone, the FBI has known about what happened to you for years so don’t go blaming me,” Brenda said as the uneasiness of the conversation was beginning to show in her voice.

“You could have at least warned me,” Mario said.

“And how was I going to do that? Tell you that I was an undercover agent not knowing whether you were a good guy or not and have you kill me? Think about it Mario, I couldn’t tell you even if I wanted to, it would have put my life in danger,” Brenda said.

“I’m sorry Brenda, but this whole thing pisses me off. I can’t believe you did this to me, what else aren’t you telling me?” Mario asked with obvious agitation in his voice.

“There are things about the investigation I can’t tell you about until it’s over, but they have nothing to do with you,” Brenda said.

“How do I know that? You’ve already lied to me. How do I know you’re not lying now?” asked Mario.

“Because I love you and I won’t lie to you again,” she responded.

“I’m sorry Brenda, but I don’t know if I can trust you. How do I know this isn’t just a game you’re playing with me,” Mario asked.

“You don’t, either you trust me, or you don’t, it’s as simple as that. If you can’t, maybe we shouldn’t be together,” Brenda said as her eyes began to water.

“You’re right, maybe we shouldn’t be together. Goodbye Brenda,” Mario hissed through clenched teeth.

Mario rose from the table and walked from the restaurant without a glance back to Brenda. If he had he would have seen the devastation on her face and the tears flowing from her eyes as he walked away.

Mario felt betrayed by Brenda’s admission of investigating his life and the secrecy of hers and he was upset that he couldn’t accept that what she had done was part of her job. Breaking up was his way of getting back at her, he would show her by spiting himself, she’d be sorry.

Brenda sat for several minutes trying to hide her tears, but to no avail. How could this have gone so wrong? I was honest with him and he leaves? Maybe Mario wasn’t the man I thought he was, Brenda thought.

“Are you okay miss?” the server asked.

“No, I just want to be left alone,” she replied.

Brenda was able to gather herself and leave to go home. She finally arrived at her front door and Annie was there to greet her.

“Brenda, my word, what’s wrong?” she asked.

That was the final button to be pushed that sent her over the edge, she dissolved in tears.

“Mario and I broke up,” she wailed.

Annie brought her inside and they sat on Annie’s sofa. Annie held her friend until she ran out of tears.

“You poor dear, tell me what happened?” Annie asked as she held her girl friend.

“Mario and I had a fight and he walked away from me, he didn’t even look back,” she sniffled.

“What could have been so bad that he would walk away from a sweet girl like you?” Annie asked.

“It was because of my job,” Brenda answered.

“Your job? What could be so bad about your job? How much trouble could a receptionist get into?” she asked.

“Annie, I’m not really a receptionist. I work as one, but I’m really an undercover FBI agent and I had to look into Mario’s background and now he hates me,” Brenda said and the tears started all over again.

Annie held her girl, she had come to think of Brenda as more than just a friend, she had become a surrogate daughter and she hated seeing her like this.

“I would think he would be proud of you for having such a dangerous job. Did he do something wrong?” Annie asked.

“No, he got in some trouble when he was younger, but that wasn’t his fault. I don’t understand why he’s so angry,” Brenda said.

“Maybe he feels violated. After all he didn’t give his permission to be investigated, did he?” Annie asked.

“No,” Brenda said.

“And you were seeing him as his girlfriend. I can see his point in a way, but not enough to throw away a relationship with a sweet girl like you,” Annie said.

“I can understand that he might be mad at me, but I was just doing my job and I couldn’t help it if I fell I love with him,” Brenda said.

“That’s the way love is, it bites you when you least expect it. Don’t worry, he’ll see what a mistake he made and come back to you. They always do,” Annie said.

“I don’t want him back,” Brenda said, as she burst into another round of crying.

“Don’t be so sure, all of us girls go through this and we always take them back no mater how badly they’ve behaved. Trust me, you will.”

“No I won’t, I’ll show him how strong I can be,” Brenda snarled between tears.

“I thought the same way sweetheart and I ended up marrying the lug, and if you don’t, you’ll find some one better,” Annie said.

“There’s no one better,” Brenda said, as the tears came again.

Brenda was finally able to compose herself enough to go home. She went in the door and fell on her bed and cried herself to sleep.

up
73 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bill better be right about

Bill better be right about wrapping this investigation up within a month or Brenda is going to really go over the edge and farther than she is now. Due to the breakup, she is not thinking straight and that can cause big trouble for her. J-Lynn

One of the worst agents

Brenda has got to be one of the worst agents ever. I know she was new, but still... She has broken her cover to two people. Rule number one is to never break your cover, unless you want to die! No matter how much you may think you know someone, you never really know them. Also, working as a prostitute while she still has her penis? She is going into locked hotel rooms with strange men who might just want more than a blow job. What if they forced themselves on her? What if they drug her to get more than a blow job? She never takes her clothes off? Men want to see women without their clothes even if all they are getting is a blow job. If Brenda keeps working as a prostitute and keeps telling everyone she will soon be found floating in the East River along with Tiffany since they will make the connection between the two close friends.

And where are the wire tapes on Melissa’s phone lines, both work and home?

Oh wow. Tough luck

God, that Mario isn't thinking, right. Gee, I can imagine he'd be a bit peeved, but now, he lets his anger get the better of him. I agree with Annie, in time he will see reason.

Had to laugh though about the incongruity between finding some one better and none being better than Mario. So the way I see it, Mario just HAS to come to his senses.

Poor Brenda, I think she's performing way, way beyond the line of duty. In comparison I think Tiffany is getting the best deal so far. I wonder if there's some thing more in store there.

Many thanks Arecee,

Jo-Anne

Runway-40

Now that Mario is no longer in Brenda's life and Brenda is becoming so popular, she is losing herself. Will Mario rescue her from her hell? Will Brenda lose her identity and become a prostitute? Will Melissa finally get Tiffany to be an escort? Brenda needs rescuing now more than ever before she truly dies inside.

May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Where is the FBI?!!

Why hasn't Melissa's office been bugged (audio and visual)? This should be a slam dunk!! Is Bill part of this too? Tiffany still has enough of an edge to step up and she needs to do it now. Brenda's life is in extreme danger every time she "escorts". We can't wait another week much less a month or Brenda is going to end up face down floating in the river. It's time to kick ass.
Great story Arecee.

She broke cover 2x... Things be baaaad...

... Mario'd best NOT be the deliverer of the drugs... Or we be seeing baaad stuff soon. That said, Brenda had to KNOW that when she told him, he'd be PISSED. Big Time pissed. The OBVIOUS thought for him, is she's been "playing" with him... The second thougth is she's really been playing with him, and has nothing to do with the FBI... Who knows what the 3rd one will be. He probalby knows what kinda stuff is going on with the "escort" business anyway... And he'll figure she's now a "high priced hooker" and would rather get the $... And was probably a cheep hooker when he first picked her up.

Comming "clean" to Anne... Well... Things be falling appart. We can hope the author puts them back together again before the end! I hope the author's reading this warning! Things don't get fixed and the bad guys win.. I won't read the story any more!

Well done though... If Bill's assessment of things getting pulled together is short, Brenda will be burnt up and spit out... That or dead.

Annette.

bugging the office

Keep in mind that Melissa's boyfriend is the head cop and he would know in a heartbeat that somwthing was wrong or that the office was bugged. As far as Brenda not removing her clothes, she wouldn't be the first to keep them on. My old shop was in the tenderloin of San Francisco and prostitution ran wild. Girls would turn tricks in the parking lot next to the shop all the time and the clothes remained on. Even though Brenda is a high class escort, she laid the law down when she agreed to turn tricks and I'm sure she has been forceful enough that the Johns will agree to what she will and won't do. Enjoy the read, there are only five more chapters left, Arecee

Brenda is in danger, maybe Tiffany

She is cracking up. Even if these two are safe, if they tell the wrong person, Brenda is dead. And Tiff is taking a chance with that young cop, what's to say he isn't under the crooked cops thumb?

A great read.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Only Five

more chapters ? I really hope, aside from my selfish desire of reading more of this interesting series, is that I don't see how all the ends can be tied up in such a short time.

As I said, I don't mind of course, it would be really great to see a follow on.

I really feel for our protagonists of course, I see potential emotional problems for Brenda and I agree with other commentators when I ask, where are the FBI handlers ? Even people under deep cover get periodic review and support I would think. I would thing that Brenda and Tiffany would have to report in on there difficulties from time to time.

Kim

Kim

No, they wouldn't

No, the local precincts would not know about FBI wire taps; the FBI wouldn't be working with the local police. At this point, the FBI might even have uncover agents working at the police precincts in questions. I think Bill actually mentioned placing someone undercover in the precincts.

Secondly, it is one thing to be a street prostitute doing John's in the back allies, and another thing altogether to be doing what Brenda is doing. In a locked hotel room, the game changes considerably. The last incident of being paid $1500 to escort a man and then demanding another $1000.00 to give a blow job with her clothes in place is unreal. Brenda may be good, but demanding another $1000.00 on top of the $1500.00 to just give a blow job is just unreal. As far as the man was concerned, he paid $2500.00 for a blow job with a woman who didn't even show her body.