Runway | Chapter 10 - 11: Why Do Women Fall In Love?

Printer-friendly version

Synopsis: Tiffany and Brenda, already on the go in their assignment, are finding that their lives as women are more complicated than they first thought. What is it with men and their strange pull on them both? Can they resist falling in love?

 

Runway

 
By

Arecee

Chapter 10

 

“Turn your head just a little,” [click], “A little more, smile,” [click], “Now pout, ooh, that’s sexy,” [click], “Lean a little,” [click], “Now think of your boyfriend making love to you,” Enrique said as Tiffany posed for the next shot.

Tiffany’s smile suddenly turned sour with that request. Enrique didn’t know about Tiffany nor did anyone else for that matter, other than Brenda. The thought of a man fondling and touching her made her skin crawl! Tiffany may have arrived in New York City with a new attitude about her undercover assignment, but her gender and sexual orientation hadn’t changed. Underneath all of the fluff and makeup, Dirk was fuming! And he, no, she was determined that wouldn’t change.

When Tiffany arrived that first day of work for her interview with Melissa, Brenda had noticed a great change within her friend. Try as she might, Tiffany had remained surly all during her training. She really hated the girl part of all this and after Brenda had left, was all alone. She lashed out at the only person she had contact with, Maria.

“I hate this! I hate the clothes! I hate the makeup! and I HATE YOU!!!” Tiffany screamed at Maria.

The slap came swift and hard, “Don’t you EVER talk to me like THAT… you ungrateful LITTLE BITCH!!!” Maria said, with venom in her voice.

Tiffany felt the sting of Maria’s hand on her face and then, much to her embarrassment, tears began to gently drip from her eyes as she began to cry. The tears slowly ran down her cheeks, dripping off onto her top. Tiffany covered her face in shame as she turned away from Maria. Men don’t cry like this! And yet I’m crying! God! I’ve become a girl and didn’t even know it!! That moment had finally produced the intended results, and the dam broke.

Tiffany had hurt Maria deeply. Maria had come to love her creation, not in a sexual way, but deeply as one would love her sister. Tiffany, in a fit of desperation, had lashed out at her in the cruelest way possible - with her words.

Maria looked at Tiffany and wanted to say more, but knew she didn’t have to. She could see that Tiffany had finally surrendered her masculinity.

Maria took Tiffany in her arms and held her tight.

“Go ahead hon and let it all out. Don’t be ashamed of crying. It’s our way of coping and will actually make you stronger as you release those pent up frustrations for things you find hard to deal with,” she said as she stroked Tiffany’s hair. Tiffany gradually regained control of her emotions and at some point, began returning Maria’s hug. Maria was her only anchor and, without her, she felt that she would surely die.

“I’m so sorry,” Tiffany sniffed, looking at her friend. “I really didn’t mean what I said.”

“I know you didn’t,” Maria responded, looking deeply into her friend’s eyes.

What happened next confounded them both. Maria drew Tiffany’s face to hers and brushed her lips softly against Tiffany’s. Maria had never had an encounter with another woman but when their lips touched, it was magic. An electric tingle coursed between them and for a brief instant they were neither there or anywhere, there was just…the moment. Maria hungrily kissed Tiffany again and, this time, she didn’t pull back. She thrust her tongue deep into Tiffany’s waiting mouth as they began to explore each other, realizing this was going far beyond Instructor and student. This interlude continued until they had consummated what Maria had started. The two found themselves holding onto each other tight, not quite believing what they had just done and, yet, not wanting this moment to ever end.

“Tiffany! I swear… I’m going to miss you!” Maria dreamily moaned.

“I know. And I…will miss you something terrible too.”

“Do you still feel up to playing this woman named Tiffany? At least until the assignment is over?” Maria spurred as she rolled over onto her stomach facing Tiffany.

“Well, I don’t really feel like a woman named Tiffany. But yes, I can play her. I can do it. But the Dirk part of me will be waiting to return to you,” Tiffany responded.

“Don’t be silly! What we did, just somehow happened: no commitments - just two people, a man and a woman making love. Even if I was available… well, Tiffany, you’re one hell of a man. Just remember this isn’t forever and that you can return back to being your old self again.”

Dirk finally got the message. In fact, he understood now that there was no shame in being a girl, even for the period of time he had to for this assignment. In fact, some of what he had been through had been fun. Now, he had finally come to embrace it. It was time to become Tiffany. She smiled.

“Did I say something that bothered you?” asked Enrique.

“I’m sorry. No, I just lost my concentration there for a moment.” Tiffany said.

“Good, now please look sexy for me...[click], good, [click], perfect! I’m done with this outfit. Now go change and we’ll start the next set through these same poses.”

Tiffany slid into another business suit and continued with the photo shoot. The posing and bending was much more difficult than she had imagined, but she continued to smile and do as she was asked. Twenty outfits later they were done.

“Tiffany, you were magnificent!” stated Enrique, “Absolutely magnificent.”

“Thank you,” she tiredly smiled.

“I’m going to ask Melissa and see if you could do some other sessions for me. You’re a real pleasure to work with. Most of the other girls seem to have a stick up their ass but you just seem to shine when the camera is pointed at you. I think you’re going to make it big in this business.”

Tiffany’s head was swimming. What was he talking about? Big in this business? I bet he says that to all the models. These men are all the same. Tiffany went back and changed into her own clothes. After asking if Enrique needed anything else, she left.

Tiffany walked out of the front doors of the studio with the two-inch heels of her ankle boots clicking on the sidewalk. Tiffany had dressed casual today: an angora sweater and Capri pants. They provided just enough warmth to make her feel comfortable against the early autumn chill making its presence known. Dusk was falling over the city as she walked along. Days were beginning to grow shorter with the approach of winter.

The street was deserted all the way to Broadway and she knew she would have to walk that far to catch a cab. As her heels tapped the pavement, an uneasy feeling came over her. She was being followed!

She turned her head around, letting her hair brush her shoulders in the process, and saw a figure duck into a doorway. She began to increase the pace of her walk. Tiffany felt a rush of fear grip her, making every nerve tingle on edge. Even though she was well skilled in the art of self-defense, she felt vulnerable for the first time in her life. Will I be able to move in these heels? If I hit him I just know I’m going to break a nail. And Dammit! My clothes will be ruined if I fight! Fuck! Now I’m even thinking like a girl!

Tiffany heard the steps behind her gaining ground. Realizing that she couldn’t escape this man in her heels, she spun around, raising her hands into a defensive posture - ready to strike the pervert following her.

“You shouldn’t be walking out here alone,” stated the man, “It’s getting dark.”

Sensing the fear in her, he reached into his jacket pocket and produced a billfold. Flipping it open showed that he was an undercover police officer.

Relief rushed over Tiffany’s body as she answered, “I was going for a cab.”

“It’s a long walk. And you really should have phoned for one. What are you doing in this neighborhood at this hour?” he asked.

“I just finished a photo shoot.”

“You’re a model?”

“Yes.”

“Well, you shouldn’t be out here alone. I’ll walk you to the corner and wait with you until the cab comes. What’s your name?” he asked.

“Tiffany. Tiffany Rollins.”

“I’m Hank Phelps. All of my friends call me Little Hank.”

“Little Hank?” Tiffany giggled, “You’re huge!”

Hank stood six-foot six and looked as though he played football for the Giants. She was impressed.

“They call me little Hank because all of my brothers are taller than me.”

“How many brothers do you have?”

“Four. And all of them are also cops.”

“Don’t you have any sisters?”

“Two. My sister Gail is the tallest and she’s five-two. I would have thought she would be at least as tall as you, but the girls in our family never grow much. Kind of weird, huh?”

“That’s not so weird. Most girls are short, I’m the one that’s strange. It’s hard to imagine being this tall and being a girl too.”

“Of course I can - except for the girl part!” Hank laughed. “It’s getting cold too. Here, let me buy you a cup of coffee before you ride off.”

“I’d like that,” Tiffany replied softly, as he felt herself blush.

“There’s a Starbucks right around the corner. It’s warm and friendly. Best of all, I’m buying.”

Hank was outgoing and engaging. He was a man you couldn’t help but like. He had a strong face with a few acne scars, a moustache, and deep blue eyes that sparkled with a bit of impishness as he spoke. Tiffany liked him right away. She knew that he would be a wonderful friend to have, especially to watch football with and put down a few beers.

Hank was busy checking Tiffany out as they walked closer to the Starbuck’s. I can’t believe this girl just walks right into my life and is having coffee with me. Man! How can I be so lucky to have her be a gorgeous model too? he wondered.

Hank had dated lots of girls throughout his life and had married two years after becoming an officer. His wife was like most of the girls he had dated - plain looking. Not ugly, but not beautiful as Tiffany was either. Hank tended to not mind as he found more beauty inside a person than out. His marriage lasted for two and a half years until his wife tired of him working so many hours. This was during the 9/11 disaster and they fought constantly. He had lost friends and she wanted him home more, but that wasn’t to be. So, they divorced. Hank had dated a few girls since then but nothing serious came of any of it.

Hank and Tiffany strolled into the coffee shop and found a table. Hank held out a chair for her to sit.

“What would you like?” he asked.

“Just a small non-fat vanilla latte.”

“Non-fat?”

“Of course non-fat, I have to watch my weight.”

“Girls!” Hank grinned. He shook his head and walked over to the counter chuckling to himself.

Hank soon returned with the drinks and placed Tiffany’s in front of her.

“Thank you,” she quietly replied.

“My pleasure. How long have you been in New York, Tiffany?”

“About a week.”

“I kind of guessed that.”

“How did you know?”

“A woman like you doesn’t walk down these streets by herself if she’s lived here for very long. Where are you from?”

“Minnesota.”

“How do you like New York City?”

“It’s big. I really don’t know much about it. All I’ve been doing so far is work and sleep.”

“It’s a wonderful city once you get to know it.”

“Well maybe I’ll go site seeing some day when I have some free time.”

“Don’t you ever get time off?”

“So far I haven’t. This is the first modeling job I’ve ever had and the hours are really long.”

“Do you have a boyfriend back home?”

Tiffany felt the hair on the nape of her neck rise.

“No, do you?” she absentmindedly replied with a hint of sarcasm in her tone.

Hank started laughing, “Nope, no boyfriends. Lots of girls, but no boys.”

“I’m sorry. That’s what I meant to say.”

“Boys or girls?”

Tiffany became flustered and Hank saw it. Then a little smile and a giggle later, Tiffany began lightening up.

“Girls, of course, silly.”

Tiffany couldn’t believe she had just said that. She had just made a girlish remark like that without thinking. She hated being a girl and now she had just giggled at what Hank had said and made a girlish remark. Tiffany tried to get angry with herself, but instead, felt a peaceful glow inside.

“I’ve dated lots of girls and was married once, but it didn’t take. Luckily, we didn’t have any children. So the breakup wasn’t that bad.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok now though.”

“How long were you married?”

“A little over two years.”

“Why did you breakup?”

“We were fighting all of the time. We married a year before 9/11 and when that happened I had to work a lot of overtime. I lost a lot of friends when the towers collapsed. I was pissed off all the time. It wasn’t fair to have some assholes fly planes into those buildings and then they had to die while trying to save other people’s lives like that. I finally came to realize that I was pissed off at myself because I wasn’t there to help. I had been stationed all the way at the other end of Manhattan Island and there was no way I could have done anything. I had therapy and finally got over it. My wife had left me way before that though. To be perfectly honest, I think we married because it seemed to be the thing to do.”

“We had dated off and on for several years and everyone kept asking when we were going to marry. So one thing led to another and we tied the knot. With us being married it was kind of like, something that was just expected of us. We loved each other but not like a husband and wife. It was just convenience. We parted friends. In fact, she remarried and I went to her wedding. She married a really nice guy and is due with their first baby in December. She’s asked me to be the God-father. Kind of ironic isn’t it?” he said.

Tiffany was silent for a moment wondering what she could say to Hank. He had lived through so much in his short life. He couldn’t be much more than twenty-seven or eight and had lost friends in 9/11 and a wife too. He was to be the God-father to her child. And all of this was striking a chord deep within her soul.

“You must feel very proud?”

“More than you know,” he said. “How has life treated you?”

“There’s nothing to tell, well, at least not like that,” she said.

“Please, I’d like to know more about you.”

“Really there’s nothing to tell. I went to school and when I grew this tall I decided to become a model. Isn’t that what all the tall girls do?” Tiffany said with another giggle.

Why am I giggling so much? Crap! If I don’t stop, this guy will think I’m interested in him.

“You could have played basketball.”

“With these nails?” she giggled.

Stop it! she thought. Stop the freaking flirting! Flirting? I have to get out of here. I can’t do this!

“I really should go now. It’s getting late and I have to be at work early tomorrow. You’ve been really sweet Hank,” she said.

“Thanks for joining me. Most girls don’t want to be seen with a cop in this neighborhood. Next time, though, call for a cab. Because the guy behind you might not be a cop. It’s been a pleasure meeting you Tiffany Rollins. I hope I do see you again.”

“That would be nice,” she responded as she laid her hand on his.

Tiffany’s cheeks went warm. She was blushing and when she noticed her red sculpted nails resting on Hank’s hand, embarrassment began to fill her. She was literally making a move on this guy as her brain was turning to mush. Maria had said to be Tiffany, but this was going too far! She pulled her hand away.

“Good night Hank,” Tiffany said as she turned and walked out into the street.

The cold evening air flowed into her nostrils, clearing her thoughts as she hailed a cab. What in the hell was I thinking of? she wondered. Hank does makes a wonderful friend. He is also the type of guy I could hang out with. Possibly, we could go to the games, or have a couple of beers with, heck, maybe even pickup a couple of girls. And here I was, a girl trying to pick him up instead!!! Tiffany groaned and felt sick as she adjusted herself in the back seat of the cab as it made its way through the New York traffic.
 

Chapter 11

 

After the events of the day, Brenda felt totally embarrassed. It had to have been so obvious to everyone, except Mario, that she was trying to impress him. Flush with anger, she removed everything she had on after slamming her apartment door shut: clothing, makeup, and tousled her hair to make it less attractive. She found some sweats and put them on and then looked into the mirror. A plain looking woman stared back at her. Not unattractive, and not badly dressed actually, but a woman, none the less. She shook her head and thought, you’ve come a long way Matt Watson, a long, long way!

Brenda slipped on some white cotton ankle socks, white canvas shoes, and then went over next door to visit her best friend.

She was seated at the table and asked, “Annie, I have to ask you something, was it really that obvious I was trying to impress someone when I went to work this morning?”

“Of course it was dear. What’s wrong with that?” she asked.

“I don’t know. I just felt so cheap afterward when I came home.” Brenda quietly answered.

“Why would you feel cheap?”

“I shouldn’t be trying to… well, impressing men.” Brenda said, with embarrassment in her voice.

“Why in the world not? Oh, wait! You don’t have to be ashamed dear. If you’re into girls, well, that’s ok too.”

Brenda stammered a second. Inside, she knew she should be looking at girls. But lately, her desires and wants seemed to be a mass of confusion. Quickly, she blurted out, “Its not like that Annie. He already has a girl friend.”

“Did you ask him out?”

“Good heavens no.”

“Did you throw yourself at his feet?”

“Of course not.”

“Then why do you feel like you did something wrong?”

“Because I wanted him to like me!”

“Do you think he likes you after seeing how you were dressed today?” Annie asked.

“I don’t know, maybe?”

“Maybe?”

“Cheryl said he likes me, but just doesn’t know yet. And besides, he’s already seeing a girl, so really, what chance do I have?”

“There’s no need for that now dear. It’s simple. Just be yourself and be patient. If he likes you, and wants you, he will come to you. If he doesn’t approach you, then it just wasn’t meant to be.”

Brenda sniffled in deeply to keep from choking upon hearing that advice, “Cheryl, well she said it was the first time she had seen him speechless.”

“Tell me then. How did you feel about it when you saw him that way?”

“I’m not sure... exactly. I mean, I could scarcely breathe when he walked through our door today.”

Annie smiled that all knowing motherly grin. “Well it sounds to me as though you like this young man very much.”

Brenda blushed furiously and was speechless. After a moment she admitted in a faint whisper, “Yes...I do.”

“Is he your first?”

“Yes,” she whispered again, “And I don’t know what to do. He has someone already and, and, I’m just so confused.”

“Brenda, honey, don’t worry, it won’t do your looks much good anyway! Look, if it is meant to be, then it will happen! The best piece of advice I can offer you is don’t put all your eggs in one basket. There are other men in the sea, and if one you like asks you out, then go for it dear! The idea is to have fun finding out which man is right for you and enjoy yourself. You never know, you might just find love in the strangest of places.”

“You’re right Annie,” Brenda sighed as she stood up to go,” I’m just being plain silly. I suppose its time to for me to go to bed. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

The two hugged as mother and daughter and Brenda couldn’t hold back her tears any longer.

“Thank you so much Annie. Really! I mean it! Thank you.”

“The pleasure is all mine dear. Now you go have a good night’s sleep!” Annie smiled as she let the woman that would almost be her daughter go. Brenda wiped her tears away and left back towards her apartment sniffling.

Brenda awoke refreshed the next day and was a bit more subdued with her choice of clothing to wear to work. A straight above the knee skirt, a lacy off the shoulder powder blue blouse, three-inch heels and an angora sweater was her look for today. Brenda wasn’t going to look like a slut on the make. But she kept wondering if Mario would notice her?

Brenda arrived at work and let Carla know that she was there. Brenda started a second list of people to be investigated so she could start eliminating people from her first list of suspects. Her first list was one that listed anyone that came through the door. But now she knew who should be investigated.

Ron, what was his last name, the engineer.
Brad, the fed-ex guy.
Mort, DSL.
Jimmy, pizza delivery.
Jack Larsen, who brings, who knows what to Melissa.
Martin Jennings, the investment banker.
Susan Marques , the makeup supplier.

Each person brought in some kind of package whenever they came inside and might be the source of the drugs the girls were using.

Brenda looked over the list again. It wasn’t complete! She didn’t want to add the name. She had to though! But what if he was the one that was the source? It just couldn’t be him. Not him! With much trepidation and sadness, Brenda wrote in the name of Mario Puccinelli, UPS.
 
 
Edited by Sephrena Lynn Miller

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Whoa!

This is starting to get complicated for our girls! Brenda has made her choice but now even Tiffany is going to have make a decision soon. Great stuff.
Hugs!
grover

Bubbling along nicely.

So far so good. This story is developing nicely. It looks as if both our fearless feds will be facing some new challenges, and they have to catch the bad guys too.

Best wishes, Andrea.

Best wishes, Andrea.