Runway | Chapter 28:

Printer-friendly version

Runway
Chapter 28:

by Arecee

Brenda spent Saturday shopping for winter clothes. Later she joined Mario at his place to have dinner and watch the Knicks game on television. They were playing the Bulls in Chicago.

“What did you cook for me, Mario?” Brenda asked.

“I tried my hand at Chinese,” Mario answered as he poured a glass of wine for his girlfriend.

“New cooking method?” Brenda laughed as she tapped the top of the cardboard containers with her finger.

“Hey, I slaved all day to make this for you,” he said and handed Brenda her glass of wine and stole a kiss at the same time.

“Are Ray and Debra coming by for the game?” Brenda asked.

“They should be here any minute. You didn’t think we would eat all this food, did you?” he asked.

“I am kind of hungry,” Brenda giggled.

Ray was Mario’s best friend. They went all the way back to grammar school and Debra was Ray’s fiancé. They were to be married the following June in Boston and Mario was to be the best man. Both Mario and Ray were big time Knicks fans and the girls were big time Mario and Ray fans, so they enjoyed watching the games together.

Brenda liked Debra because of her honesty. You always knew where you stood with her. There was no lying or deceit with Debra. Ray was a lucky man to have met such a woman.

Ray and Debra arrived, and after the customary hugs the guys settled into the pre-game show and the girls went to serve the food.

“How have you been Brenda?” Debra asked.

“Really good, and yourself?”

“Just fine. I’ve been planning for the wedding already. Seven months will fly by in no time; I hope everything will be ready.”

“If you need any help, I’m available, just ask,” Brenda said.

“Thanks Brenda, it's very nice of you to offer. You know, Mario really likes you a lot,” Debra said.

“I like him a lot too.”

“No, I mean he really likes you. I’ve only known him for a little over two years, but during that time I’ve seen him date at least ten different girls and each one was going to be the one that would steal his heart. They would always have fun, but Mario never really talked about them other than to say they would be on a date with us, and then he met you. He hasn’t been able to stop talking about you since he met you. He’s so cute when he does, I truly think he loves you Brenda,” Debra said.

“Debra, I feel the same way, when Mario walked into my office the first time, I thought I would die right there. God, he was so cute, I think I fell in love that minute.”

“Do you know you’re the first girl he’s ever brought home to meet his family?”

“I didn’t know that?”

“You’re special Brenda, please don’t hurt him.”

“I would never do that. Hey guys, do you want paper plates or the real thing?” Brenda asked.

“The real thing if you’re washing them,” Mario replied.

“In your dreams, I guess its paper,” Debra replied.

The girls brought the food into the living room and joined the guys to watch the game. The game reached half time with the Knicks behind by seven points.

“I wish they would play at home all year,” Ray said. “That way they wouldn’t lose.”

“I know what you mean, it’s like they become another team when they go on the road,” Mario said.

“Oh my God, it's Tiffany! Quick look, it's Tiffany!” Brenda said excitedly.

“Who’s Tiffany?” Debra asked.

“My girl friend. That’s her on television,” Brenda squealed.

It was one of the advertisements Tiffany had done the previous week.

It showed her being escorted by a handsome model to a new car in an evening gown with a view of the Niagara Falls in the background.

When they reached the car, the man opened the door for her and before she enters, she said, “I like a man that drives a Sunstar, it shows he cares for me and the environment.” She then sits down and swings her legs in and the door closes.

“That’s your girl friend. She’s very pretty,” Debra said.

“There are going to be a lot of guys buying that car after watching her get into one,” Ray said.

“I’ve never seen her before. Is this her first job?” Debra asked.

“Heavens no, she’s in all the Margaret Voss ads and has done a layout for Revlon too, and that isn’t counting all the fashion shows she does. I don’t know where she finds the time,” Brenda said.

“She’s strikingly beautiful, I’m surprised I haven’t noticed her before,” Debra said.

“She’s a nice person too, I love her dearly,” Brenda said.

The half time break was over and the game was to start again after one more commercial break.

There was another ad for the Sunstar featuring Tiffany.

Tiffany is dressed in a beautiful blouse with a somewhat daring neckline and a gorgeous gold necklace, very tight blue jeans, a black belt and knee length black boots with four-inch heels. The Niagara Falls are visible in the back ground. She walks to the Sunstar and says, “I drive a Sunstar because it has the luxury I want and is affordable for a girl like me, and most importantly it doesn’t harm the environment.” She opens the door and slips behind the steering wheel as the screen goes blank.

“God, I feel like buying one of those cars after that,” giggled Debra.

“There’s something about her that does that, and I’ve never felt like that before after watching some stupid ad. For some reason I believe what she says,” Ray said.

“Not me, give me a sixties muscle car that burns gas like there is no tomorrow and I’ll be happy,” Mario laughed.

“That’s not funny Mario, I saw that movie, you know the Gore one and if we don’t stop this car stuff we’re all doomed,” Debra said.

“I’m just teasing you Debra, I know how dedicated you are to global warming, I just don’t subscribe to that theory,” Mario said.

“Well you should,” she said.

“Debra, we’re all here to watch a basketball game and I don’t want to get into an argument with you. You’re a wonderful friend and I don’t want to destroy that friendship, I just want to watch the game,” Mario said.

Mario and Debra had had this discussion before and it ended badly, the two hadn’t spoken for months until Ray intervened and made peace between the two.

“Let’s clear the table Brenda and let these two enjoy their game,” Debra said.

Brenda and Debra removed the plates and food from the coffee table and brought it to the kitchen.

“And what’s your feeling about global warming Brenda? Do you feel the same way as Mario?” Debra asked.

“Debra, to be honest, I don’t know that much about it. I’m from California and I’m trying to learn about New York City, not about global warming. I’m sorry but I don’t want to talk about it,” Brenda said.

Debra was fired up, this was her cause, but no one wanted to listen.

“At least your girl friend is doing something about it, she drives a Sunstar,” Debra said.

“Tiffany’s just a model Debra. She doesn’t even own a car, and if she did she’d just wreck it. She’s a terrible driver,” Brenda giggled.

Debra realized she was making a fool of herself and started to laugh as she pictured a pretty girl like Tiffany wrecking a car. Sometimes she took herself too seriously.

There were two minutes left in the game and New York had closed to within three points of Chicago. It now became the thirty-minute game from hell, ten seconds of action and three minutes of advertisements, for the next thirty minutes.

It was Tiffany time again and they reran the ads almost every break. She was getting exposure big time, and was going to be noticed.

The game ended and the Bulls won by four points. When the final buzzer sounded, you could hear the groans come from Mario and Ray. Their team had let them down again.

“Ray, it’s getting late and we should get going. I’m sure Mario and Brenda would like to be alone,” Debra said.

“I hope you’re driving, Mario and I killed two six-packs,” Ray said.

“I was watching, so I behaved myself. Goodnight Brenda, we should get together when the boys aren’t around, we could have real fun,” Debra said.

“I’d like that. Goodnight Debra, see you Ray,” Brenda said.

“Goodnight Brenda. Hey Mario, the team’s back next week and they play the Lakers, let’s go,” Ray said.

“Is it okay if I go?” Mario asked Brenda.

“Of course, we’re not married for God’s sake, go have some fun,” Brenda said.

Why did he ask me? Brenda wondered, we love each other, but we do have other interests.

“We’re on Ray, next Friday?”

“Six o’clock, we’ll have a beer before the game.”

Ray and Debra left and Mario felt amorous. He kissed Brenda deeply and she kissed back, but pulled away from the stench of the beer.

“What’s wrong honey?” Mario asked.

“I’m sorry, but your breath smells. I knew I should have had a beer, but I didn’t feel like drinking.”

“Have one now, I’ll wait,” Mario said with expectation.

“God, you’re so silly sometimes. I’m not going to drink a beer so I can make out with you. I love you, but I don’t feel like doing that right now. I should be going if I’m coming back tomorrow for dinner at your mom’s.”

“I’ll brush my teeth,” Mario said expectantly.

“Come here and give me a kiss, I’ll hold my breath.”

Mario kissed Brenda again, and as much as she disliked the beer smell, she did tingle with the excitement of the kiss.

Mario called for a cab and Brenda left with another kiss to say goodnight.

Monday arrived and Brenda called Bill Cline. They set up a meeting so she could give him the cocaine from Susan

“Do we have to meet at that restaurant?” Brenda asked.

“Look, I don’t know any other ones that are safe unless you want to travel to New Jersey.”

“Okay, I’ll see you there at six.”

Tiffany came in after Brenda finished speaking to Bill.

“God, I’m going to have to move, no one will leave me alone,” Tiffany groused.

“I saw you on TV last night. God, you looked so good I almost bought a car,” Brenda giggled.

“Up yours Brenda, that’s not funny. People wouldn’t leave me alone this morning, I broke a nail signing autographs,” Tiffany complained.

“Well aren’t we becoming the young lady, finally,” Brenda responded.

“Do you know how much work it is to keep your nails nice?” asked Tiffany.

“Well duh,” Brenda said, as she held out her hands and their perfect nails.

“I’m sorry, I’m just in a bitchy mood today. Did you really see the ads?” Tiffany asked.

“I did, during the Knicks game. You looked wonderful.”

“Did I?”

“Even Debra thought you did.”

“Debra?”

“Ray’s girlfriend. Never mind, Melissa called and asked that you wait for her, she says that she has exciting news.”

Just then Melissa popped through the door and motioned Tiffany to follow her into her office.

“Tiffany, my phone is going crazy. After the ads last night during the game my phone hasn’t stopped ringing; everyone wants you.”

“Everyone?”

“Yes, everyone. I know I’ve scheduled you for some shows on the runway, but after you’re finished you’re going to have to shoot more commercials for TV. Girl you’re famous.” Melissa said excitedly.

“When will I have time?”

“You’ll have to find the time; this is your big break. Now run along, I know you have a show to do at Macy’s.”

Tiffany left Melissa’s office and stopped at Brenda’s desk.

“Brenda, this is getting out of hand. I feel bad that I haven’t been able to hold my end up as far as the investigation is concerned.”

“Don’t be silly, I’ve got you covered, that’s what girl friends are for. I’m so excited about what’s happening to you that all I want is to see you succeed.”

“But I’m not succeeding, I’m becoming a model not an undercover agent and it bothers me.”

“Tiffany you’re being stupid. Be Tiffany Rollins, don’t worry, we’ll get the bad guys. Now run or you’ll be late,” Brenda said.

The rest of the day was uneventful and Brenda met Bill Cline at Danny’s restaurant. She waited outside for Bill to enter first, because she was embarrassed to see Danny alone after what had happened after their last meeting. Brenda entered the restaurant after she saw Bill go inside.

“Hi Danny, Bill, I’m glad you’re early,” Brenda said.

“Brenda, how’s my best girl?” Danny asked.

“She’s fine, and I’m pretty good too,” Brenda replied.

Danny wasn’t going to push it with Brenda. She may have been easy the first time he was with her, but she obviously had an attitude adjustment so he let things drop.

“Can I get something for you to drink?” he asked.

“Just a cup of coffee please,” she replied.

“Are you alright Brenda, you seem different?” Bill asked.

“I’m fine, I’m just a little girl growing up, that’s all,” she said.

“I’m kind of in a rush tonight. You said you have something for me?” Bill asked.

“I have a sample from Susan Marques and it cost me fifty dollars. Can I turn it in as a business expense?” she asked.

“I’ll give you back your money, but I doubt it would look good if it was turned in as buying cocaine for personal use.”

“I didn’t use it,” Brenda said.

“I’m just teasing you Brenda, lighten up a little, you’re awfully tense,” Bill said.

“I’m sorry, I have some personal issues right now. I’ll be fine,” Brenda said.

Brenda handed Bill the sample in an envelope and he placed it in his pocket.

“Thanks Brenda, I have to go. I’ll call you tomorrow afternoon with the results.”

“Goodnight Bill.”

Bill rose from the table and walked out of the restaurant. When he did, Danny called to Brenda.

“Brenda, are you alright? You’re not angry about the other night are you?” he asked.

“Only at myself Danny, I won’t let it happen again,” she said.

“It was just as much my fault. I did take advantage of you and I’m sorry for doing that,” he said.

“Don’t feel too bad Danny, it was a lesson I had to learn.”

“I feel bad because I do really like you Brenda, and I don’t want to blow my chances with you, that’s all.”

“Danny, I still like you, but like I said last time, I have a boyfriend and I should have never let you take me home. It was a mistake on my part, which I should have never let happen.”

“Can I get you something to eat?” he asked.

“No thanks, I think that’s where our thing started last week and I don’t want it to happen again. I’m going home.”

“Goodnight Brenda and please come back, I really do have feelings for you,” Danny said.

“Goodnight Danny.”

Brenda took the subway home and tapped on Annie’s door when she arrived.

Annie opened her door and greeted Brenda.

“Hi Brenda, I haven’t seen you for a while. Come in sweetheart,” Annie said.

“Hi Annie, I’ve missed you,” Brenda said as she hugged her friend.

“I’ve missed you too, is everything alright?”

“Everything is fine, I just needed a hug.”

Brenda had grown to love Annie, she was almost like an adoptive mother and the rock Brenda very much needed as she transitioned into the woman she was becoming.

The two women talked well into the evening, mostly about nothing apart from how Brenda’s father was. It was what Brenda needed to get her mind off Danny, and forget the sex act she had performed on him.

Brenda didn’t think of what she had done as a homosexual act, but as a violation of her as a young woman. Did all girls feel this way the first time or was she an exception? she wondered.

“Annie, may I ask you something very personal?” Brenda asked.

“You can ask me anything. What is it dear?”

“The first time you had sex with a man, did you feel ashamed?”

“The first time? My, my, that was a long time ago. My first time was with George Kearney when I was only fourteen. He was a neighbor boy and it just happened; you know hormones flying and all. I felt like such a fool for doing it with him, I didn’t really like him that much, it just happened. I felt bad for losing my virginity that way, but I got over it, why do you ask?”

“Because I had my first experience and I feel just terrible about it,” Brenda said.

“Honey, the first time is always the hardest. Do you love the guy?”

“That’s just it, I don’t and yet I had sex with him. Was I wrong Annie?”

“Brenda, with something like that there isn’t a right or wrong. If you love a person it’s right; and if you don’t it’s something that happened.”

“It’s just that I would have wanted it to happen with my boyfriend, not some guy that drove me home.”

“How did it happen?”

“I’m not even sure myself, all I know was that I kissed him and he made me feel really good, the next thing I knew I had his thing in my mouth.”

“Oh you poor dear, I remember the first time I did that. Yuk!” Annie said.

“The worse part was when he came. I didn’t know what to do with it, so I spat it out. It still makes me sick thinking about it,” Brenda said.

“Don’t worry about it sweetheart, girls do it all the time. The best part is, you won’t get pregnant and your panties don’t get stained when you’re all done.”

This said the girls went into a giggling fit. Annie was so wise and Brenda felt lucky having a friend like this.

Brenda went to her apartment and slept better that night. She realized that in her short life as a woman she had experienced what other girls had. Her first sexual experience and falling in love just like any other girl. Brenda was becoming a woman, maybe a little faster than she would have liked, but she was learning.

up
86 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Runway

Arcee I am really enjoying this series, you have done a fantastic job with it.

Can't wait to see the next chapter. I'm worried that Brenda may get hooked on the coke though. I certainly hope she doesn't. I also hope that Danny stays a friend and doesn't become the enemy.

I sure hope Tiff survives all the onslaught for it sure looks like Melissa isn't watching out for her. She is just using Tiff like a peice of mechandise to get as much as she can for herself, until Tiff burns out. I mean she is stacking jobs up for Tiff that she can't possibly do in the time Melissa wants. So obviously she is trying to get Tiff hooked on drugs so she can use her in her brothel. I do hope Melissa gets hers in the end. She is a cruel person, especially when she was forcing the drugs on Brenda.

Great Job. Looking forward to more.

hugs Joni W