Jessica's Story - Part 12

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 12

The girls are back at school, following the Christmas holidays, and they let on to their friends about Michael being transgender too. Anne and Julia decide to make occasional visits to a LGBT nightclub, as plans for Julia and Kelly to move in are discussed.

The birthday party in March gets a boost when Sally suggests an idea that would allow their female cousins to attend, and Jessica becomes the first to get her party dress - and its a rather familiar looking one.

Jessica's Story – Part 12

Later that evening, Anne went to Helen's room where the computer was based. She was wondering if John had received her email yet. She checked her account and found that he had sent a reply.

Hi Anne

Thanks for your email. Michael is spending most of his time with his sister now and is enjoying it tremendously. We told James not long after arriving back home from your place, but he has only just got over the shock. I'm pleased to say that he has accepted Michelle.

Just need to try and steady the ship further now by dealing with the bully who has caused Michael such discomfort. Hopefully, after which, we can pursue councilling for him.

Liz is fine, though she has decided to quit driving for now. Thanks for asking.

Bye

John.

PS. I presume Sally was with you when you emailed me? Tell her I say hi.

PPS. I'll try and send you some photos of Michelle when I can.

She read the email once more and then called Helen. Helen arrived and read the email herself.

“I'm glad his children have accepted Michael.” said Helen. “Though I thought James would take it hard.”

“Well, I just hope they can get this bully sorted out.” said Anne. “I'm looking forward to seeing Michelle though. If she's anything like Jessica, she should be really happy.”

Anne then decided to write a reply to John's email. She decided to include advanced details of Jessica and Sandra's birthday party, which would be on the Saturday between the two birthdays. She wasn't counting on them coming as it was once more between school weeks. At least it would give them time to sort something out if they did decide to come.

“Shame there isn't a plane service from Newcastle.” said Helen.

“The other thing is Liz.” said Anne. “She is due in May. Travelling will be out of the question for her.”

“Looks like the chance of them coming is near zero.” said Helen.

“But I thought it would be polite just to invite them.” said Anne.

Eventually, the day arrived for the girls to go back to school. As planned, Julia came to collect them in her car. Kelly was with her and glad to see her friends.

“Morning girls. Ready for school again?” asked Julia.

It was mixed reactions for them as they loved having time off from school. But they also liked meeting up with their friends too.

“I suppose so.” said Jessica. “Meeting our friends is the best bit.”

“Don't worry. You'll get back in the swing of things.” said Julia.

Sure enough, when they arrived, they were soon reunited with Lisa and Rachel.

“So, the long hair club is back at school.” said Lisa.

“As is the catch up club.” said Sandra.

“Our hair is finally getting longer.” said Rachel. “So we won't be in the catch up club for much longer!”

“Alright. You hate me for saying that.” said Sandra. “I'll see you later.”

As she headed for the junior section, Jessica, Kelly, Lisa and Rachel headed off to the infants.

Kelly and Jessica were left wondering for a moment about what to write when Miss Abbot gave them their first work of the new term.

“Welcome back class. I hope you all had a nice Christmas and had loads of presents.” said Miss Abbot. “I would like you to write a story about all the things you did over Christmas. The best ones will be read out in front of class.”

What bothered Kelly and Jessica was whether to put down anything concerning their mothers getting married.

“What shall we say?” asked Kelly.

“Better not.” said Jessica. She remembered what Anne had said about people not liking gay people.

“Ok.” said Kelly.

“What was all that about?” asked Rachel.

“Oh nothing.” said Jessica. “Just something silly. Don't want the class to hear it.”

Jessica also omitted the details concerning Michael coming out. She did mention having her cousins coming to visit though.

They spent all of the morning session doing their story. Miss Abbot wandered around looking at the stories as they were written. They stopped when the bell sounded for morning break. Miss Abbot told them to write their names at the top, before she went round and collected them. The best ones would be read after they came back from break.

“So, do you think yours will be read?” asked Lisa, to no particular friend.

“We'll be reading them, if ours are chosen.” said Rachel. “I hope I'm not though. I'm not good at standing in front of class.”

“Me too.” said Jessica. “Mine just features the best bits. I left some out.”

“Why?” asked Rachel. “Something went wrong?”

“No, but somethings happened that are best not told.” replied Jessica.

“Same here.” said Kelly.

“You too?” said Lisa.

They finished eating their crisps and waited for the bell to ring once more.

* * *

Back in class, Miss Abbot had chosen 5 stories. She called the writers to come to the front of the class, in turn, and read them. Jessica was among them.

She nervously stood at the front of class and took her paper. Focusing more on the paper, not trying to look at anyone, she read out her story.

When she was finished, she raced back to her seat.

“That wasn't bad.” said Lisa, as the sound of the next pupil's voice filled the room.

“So, who were these cousins? I didn't know you had any?” asked Rachel.

“We talked about them on Boxing Day.” said Jessica. “Don't you remember?”

“Yes, little Miss Forgetful.” said Lisa.

“Sorry.” said Rachel.

As soon as the chosen stories had been read, Miss Abbot turned the subject to subtraction.

They did maths till dinner. When they went outside for dinner, they decided to talk as they waited for the two bells that called 2nd years into the dining hall. Jessica decided to remind Rachel about her cousins.

“So, on Christmas Day, we had our aunt and uncle over. They came a long way too.” started Jessica.

“So, you said there were 2 boys and a girl?” said Rachel. “I suppose you got on well with the girl?”

“Yes. Emma is her name and she has dark brown hair like me.” said Jessica. “Her younger brother is ok too.”

“What about her other brother?” asked Kelly.

“He wasn't interested in our games. But are they ever?” said Jessica.

“I don't know. We know of one.” smiled Lisa.

“All girls here.” said Rachel. “No boys in disguise here.”

“Shut up!” said Kelly. “Someone might hear you!”

“Sorry.” sighed Rachel.

They continued their talk in the dining hall. Jessica was wondering whether to let on any more about her cousins.

“Emma knows about me.” she said at last.

“She knows? You told her?” said Kelly.

“Yes. Michael knows too.” said Jessica.

“And they're ok about it?” asked Lisa.

Jessica nodded. “There is something else too, but keep it quiet.”

“What?” asked Kelly.

“Michael is like me.” said Jessica.

“You mean he wants to be.... Oh my goodness!” said Rachel.

“Another one?” said Lisa. “You've got an interesting family.”

“Ok, move on to other things.” said Kelly. “Don't want anyone else finding out.”

At the end of school, Kelly reminded Jessica and Sandra about Julia picking them up instead. They were dropped off home first too. Helen was home of course and let them in.

“Where's mommy?” asked Sandra.

“Still at work.” said Helen. “She has started working longer hours.”

Anne arrived home at 5:00pm.

“Had a good day at school?” she asked as she headed upstairs to take a shower.

“Yes mommy.” said Jessica.

Only when Anne came down from having her shower, did she get the days events in full.

“You told your friends about Michael?” she cried. “Ok, so they won't tell. But that isn't the point. Michael, like you Jessica, is undertaking a journey that most of society objects to.”

“I'm sorry.” said Jessica. “But at least if Michael comes here for my party, they'll be nice to him.”

“If he comes. I've already heard from your Uncle John that Michael is interested in coming, as is his sister.” said Anne.

“But they won't, because it's too far.” sighed Sandra.

“It would help if they lived closer.” agreed Anne. “But at least you'll have your friends around.”

Over the next week, nothing more was said about Michael. The chances of him visiting again before next Christmas were remote.

For now, the girls were planning their dresses for the party. Anne had been round to the fancy dress store where she had got their halloween costumes. She came back with a catalogue and they sat together and looked through it.

“We need some tiaras too.” said Anne as they browsed through it.

“What are they?” asked Sandra.

“They go on your head. They're like crowns.”

“Of course we'll need one of them then.” said Jessica. “Princesses have to look very pretty.”

* * *

Sally came over on Sunday and explained how she had been busy looking for a gender clinic for Michael.

“So, Michael's journey begins?” said Anne.

“It will do.” said Sally. “But they've already got problems with the school.”

“How?” asked Anne.

“Fear of society.” said Sally. “The head believes that school will get some bad publicity if a trans-child is found to be attending.”

“What do they expect? An army of Adams?” asked Anne.

“Alas, there are plenty of people like that.” said Sally. “Some also believe that children are not capable of diagnosing themselves as transgendered.”

“Not capable?” said Anne.

“Not old enough to make choices for themselves.” said Sally. “I can understand it to a point, but not with this. We know deep down that something isn't right. But some believe that until a child is of a considerable age, they are not allowed to make any decisions.”

“Oh, so we must keep our children on leads, like dogs?” said Anne. “Society is so.... STUBBORN!”

“Well, I hope this headmaster sees sense.” said Sally. “Besides, it's likely to be September before the huge step to full time takes place.”

“Anyway, change the subject.” said Anne. “Look through here and see if there is anything you like.”

Sally took the costume catalogue and smiled.

“Of course, I've got to look regal for a party.” she giggled. “Any grown up princess costumes?”

“Depends. You either choose the fairy tale type or go real and do the evening gown type.” said Anne.

“I might go the latter. But what the heck, it's a party. Got to dress up a bit.” she smiled.

“I've got some dress planning even sooner.” said Anne.

“Oh, what's the occasion?” asked Sally.

“I'm going out with Julia. Off to a gay bar to have a few drinks.” replied Anne. “Helen is looking after the kids for us.”

“Don't get drunk then.” said Sally.

“I've never been much of a drinker.” said Anne.

The point of going out with Julia was just a clear sign of intent that they were now a couple. It was Tuesday night when they decided to have their first night out. Anne was thankful that Julia wasn't much of a drinker either.

But as Anne waited for Julia to arrive, everyone in the house could only compliment her dress. She hadn't gone overboard and had settled for a navy blue knee length cocktail dress.

“Julia is here.” said Helen, peeping out of the window.

“Ok.” said Anne. “So, how do I look?”

“You look very pretty.” said Jessica.

“You look nice mommy.” said Sandra.

Soon Julia and Kelly were in the house, the latter quickly going over to Jessica and Sandra.

“Ready to go love?” asked Julia.

“Yes, just waiting for the taxi.” said Anne.

The taxi arrived minutes later.

“Ok girls, be good for gran.” said Anne.

After Anne and Julia left, the girls headed upstairs.

“So, our mommies are going out together.” said Sandra. “That means lots of kissing.”

“But they're happy together.” said Kelly. “I want them to be together.”

“You do?” said Sandra.

“Because you'll be my sisters.” said Kelly.

“Ok, shall we just get on with playing?” asked Jessica.

“Sure.” said Kelly.

Jessica gave Emily to Kelly and told her that she needed her milk. Jessica then started playing with her hair in the mirror.

“Still too short?” said Sandra, who was playing with her baby doll Sally.

“Sandra, will you just stop it about Jessica's hair! She has wanted her hair long all her life and is only just getting the chance. But her hair is better than yours.” said Kelly.

Sandra was silenced and hurt.

“I'm sorry. I'm sorry Jessica.” she said at last.

* * *

Anne had never been to a gay club before. She had seen gays from time to time on the streets and then in the LGBT group too. She just never thought she'd ever be among their number.

“I'm not going to get drunk tonight.” said Julia. “I'm just going to dance the night away with you.”

“Suits me fine.” said Anne.

They decided to get a drink first any way and found a table to sit at.

“I never thought I'd be coming to one of these places.” said Anne.

“Just forget about that. Just think of it where couples come to have some time together.” said Julia.

“You're right.” said Anne. “But if anyone told me I'd fall in love with another woman, I would have thought them mad.”

“Who's mad now?” smiled Julia.

“Me. Madly in love with you.” said Anne. “Thank you for coming into my life.”

“It should be me saying thank you.” said Julia.

“Hopefully, we can raise our children like any other couple.” said Anne. “I know it's going to be better than my time with Adam.”

“He's gone. So's my husband, and my last girlfriend.” said Julia. “Now is about us. We were both seething from failed marriages and seeking someone to truly love. Now we have found them in each other.”

After finishing their drinks, they took to the floor and danced in time to the music.

While they danced, Anne decided to spill the beans on some of her past experiences.

“I'm forced to admit to myself that I may have found women attractive early on.” said Anne. “But when I met Adam, I brushed it aside and thought 'I'm straight'. Now, when I look into your eyes, I know that there has been a lesbian inside me all along.”

They danced for what seemed like hours. They then decided to get one more drink before deciding to get a taxi.

It was late when they got back. The children were in bed – Kelly once more in a sleeping bag. Only Helen was up and she was merely waiting for them to come back.

“Enjoy yourself?” she asked them as they entered the living room.

“Very much.” said Anne. “We won't be spending every night there. Just the odd night now and then.”

“Ok.” said Helen. “I'll be off to bed then.”

“Us too.” said Anne. “Glad I've got the day off tomorrow.”

“Me too.” smiled Julia.

It was because Anne had got Wednesday off, that she had agreed to a night out with Julia. Still, they needed to be up early regardless, to take the girls to school.

Julia agreed to stay most of Wednesday, just so she and Anne could plan ahead for the latest planning changes to the house while the girls were at school. Helen was watching a Thomas the Tank Engine DVD with Edward while they did so.

“I was thinking of getting a bunk bed to replace one of the single beds in the girls room.” said Anne. “It will save on room.”

“Ok, but I'm just concerned about Kelly's dolls house.” added Julia. “It's one of the few things I kept over from my failed marriage. She wouldn't want to part with it.”

“I don't think we have enough room for two dolls houses.” said Anne.

They went to the girls room just to have a look. The beds were at one end, side by side with a few feet of space between them. The dolls house sat on the floor in the corner opposite the door. The other furniture consisted of two chests of drawers, one between the beds and the other at the foot of one.

“Haven't they got a wardrobe?” asked Julia.

“It's in the spare room.” said Anne. “We had to move it there so they could bring the dolls house in here.”

“You have had a move round.” said Julia. “So, where to put my Kelly's house?”

“Downstairs.” said Anne. “In the living room. It's the only place. By the way, how big is her dolls house?”

“About as big as that one.” said Julia. “We do have a chest of drawers and wardrobe too.”

“Ok, I'll show you the spare room. Helen sleeps here. She only has a bed and chest of drawers.” said Anne.

They went there and found it as Anne had described. One bed, an antique chest of drawers with some of Helen's keepsakes on the top – including old family photos. Anne decided for now not to look at them.

At the far end of the room was the wardrobe that contained all of the girls dresses.

“We could put the furniture here.” said Julia. “Would Helen mind?”

“I doubt it.” said Anne.

She didn't mind, so that was settled. Julia's own furniture was not needed, for Anne had available furniture in her room.

After the grand tour of the house, they had something to eat before realising that the girls would soon need collecting from school.

* * *

Anne went out and collected the girls, bringing them all to her house so that Julia could set off home with Kelly.

“Ok girls. Which of you would like to sleep in a bunk bed?” asked Anne as they had their dinner.

“Why?” asked Sandra.

“Well, how is Kelly going to sleep in your room otherwise?” she replied.

“So, they're going to live with us?” said Jessica.

“Not just yet.” said Anne. “But soon, maybe.”

“What's a bunk bed?” asked Edward.

“It's two beds, one is on top of the other. Who ever sleeps in the top bed has to climb a ladder to reach it.” said Anne.

“I'll sleep on the bottom.” said Jessica. “I don't fancy being high up.”

“Neither do I.” said Sandra, recounting her dizziness at the top of Blackpool Tower.

“Ok, so it appears Kelly will get the top bunk.” said Anne. “Oh, hold on. There goes the phone.”

Anne went and answered the phone. It was John.

“Hi Anne. Just a quickie. Emma is keen to tell her friends about Michelle and she believes Jessica may have the answer she needs.” said John.

“What do you mean?” asked Anne.

“She believes Jessica has friends who know her, as in knowing the truth.” said John.

“Oh, that. Yes, she has friends. They got them to swear on pinkies.” replied Anne.

“Pinkies?” said John.

“Your little fingers.” said Anne. “Surely you remember that?”

“Oh! Those pinkies!” said John. “Do children still make oaths that way?”

“Seems so.” said Anne. “Is that all?”

“Yes thanks.” said John. “Oh, about the party. Unless someone has a brilliant idea, we may have to pass on it.”

“No worries. I've explained to the girls and they seem content.” replied Anne.

“Ok then. Bye.”

“Bye.” said Anne.

She returned to the kitchen where everyone was still eating.

“Who was that?” asked Helen.

“Just John. It appears that Emma is going to try and introduce her sister to her friends.”

“So, why call?” asked Helen.

“Well, Emma knew that Jessica has friends who act as confidants. She obviously wants her friends to keep Michelle's secret.” said Anne. “And another thing, it is likely that Emma won't be coming to your birthday party.”

Jessica and Sandra groaned. They had been told that this was likely, though now that the truth hit them, it still hurt.

“It's the distance that is the problem.” said Anne. “We hold the party on the weekend between the two dates, providing that one of them isn't on the weekend itself. The other thing is school. It doesn't ever happen during a school holiday either.”

“It's too far to make the journey there and back in one day.” said Helen. “Plus they'd have to be home for school on the Monday.”

It seemed a lost cause until Sally came to visit on the Sunday.

“I wonder if there is a way.” she said. “It would mean having the girls spend the night here.”

“Would we have enough room for 2 more girls?” asked Anne. “We're planning on making room for one more on a permanent basis.”

“Never mind that. The one problem is the travel. I can't make the trip there and back again in one day. It's too far, plus it would take too long. I'm just thinking about taking the train.”

“Could you?” asked Anne.

“It would need extra planning.” said Sally. “But if we could go up to Newcastle on the Friday, we could pick the girls up and bring them back here.”

“We? You mean I should go?” said Anne. “Leave my lot here?”

“I'll be here.” said Helen. “They'll be ok.”

“I'll have to check train times and fares first, when I'm not at work.” said Sally. “But a good idea?”

“Sounds ok.” said Anne.

“If the girls were here, they would agree.” said Helen.

The girls were busy playing with their dolls house upstairs.

* * *

For Anne and Julia, another chance to go to the gay bar didn't come along until a fortnight after their first visit. It was due down to Anne's work schedule. She had been given every other Wednesday off since altering her hours. This in turn had only been made possible by Julia agreeing to do the school run for her.

Sally didn't bring any news on the train idea until a week after she suggested it. She said she would put it to John first. She did tell them that Michael had been booked up to see a specialist concerning his gender.

For the girls, they had got back into the routine of spending 5 days a week at school. Miss Abbot had been putting them through their paces on the times tables. They had already done all up to the 5 times table, and they were now moving on to the 6 times table.

“I'll be giving you tests on the 6 times table at the end of the week.” she told the class at the end of the lesson.

“6's are easy.” said Lisa. “All even number tables are.”

“10's are the easiest.” said Rachel. “Just put a nought on the end of the number.”

“Sandra has already done the lot.” said Jessica. “She'll be playing teacher for me.”

During both morning and dinner break, the girls tested one another on the tables. They had written them down on paper during the lesson.

It was during dinner break that Miss Abbot went to the storeroom to get some more chalk. She noticed that Mrs Fletcher was in there with one of the deputy heads.

“Excuse me.” she said as she reached for the box of chalks on the one shelf.

“Sorry Julia.” said Mrs Fletcher. “We're just having a bit of a clear out.”

“Oh, you're dumping all the costumes?” said Miss Abbot.

“Not all of them, but some are getting worn.” replied Mrs Fletcher.

Of the ones that were being sidelined for disposal, Miss Abbot noticed a pink dress.

“So, what are you doing with the unwanted costumes?” she asked.

“There's a clothing recycling centre not far from here.” said Mrs Fletcher. “If you think you can find a place for any of them, by all means take whatever you want.”

“I do have a place for one item: that pink dress.” said Miss Abbot.

Mrs Fletcher looked at the pink dress more closely. “By all means, you can have it.”

“Thank you.” said Miss Abbot. “Just leave it by my locker in the staff room please.”

* * *

Later that day, after school, Miss Abbot went to the staff room to get her belongings and found the pink dress by her locker. She looked at it and almost wept, for the day she found Peter Brook wearing it seemed like only yesterday. Now he, or she as he was now, would be able to wear it once more.

On the way out, she got the address from the school records and decided to deliver her present on the way home.

The girls were already home and taking off their school uniforms, while Anne was still to come back from work. Therefore, it was Helen who answered the door when Miss Abbot arrived.

“Hello, how may I help you?” asked Helen.

“My name is Julia Abbot, Jessica's teacher. May I come in?”

“I'm Helen, her grandmother.” said Helen. “She hasn't done anything wrong?”

“Oh no. Not in the slightest.” said Miss Abbot. “I've just got something for her.”

“Come in then.” said Helen. “Her mother is still at work.”

Miss Abbot came in and sat in the living room.

“Jessica! There is someone here who wishes to see you.” called Helen up the stairs.

Jessica came down, with Sandra following. They stopped abruptly when they saw who it was.

“Hello Jessica.” said Miss Abbot. “No need to worry. You're not in trouble.”

“Hello miss.” said Jessica. “Why are you here?”

“I've got something for you.” she said. She took the bag from her lap and took out the dress. “Do you recognise it?”

“It's the dress I wore from the storeroom.” said Jessica.

“Yes. I found it today on the verge of being taken to a recycling centre.” said Miss Abbot. “I asked if there was any chance of having it, and they said yes. So, here I am, giving it to you.”

“I can have it?” said Jessica, almost at a loss for words. “Thank you miss.”

“Don't mention it.” said Miss Abbot. “Now before I go, I wouldn't mind seeing you wearing it.”

“Now?” said Jessica.

“Go on sis. I said I always wanted to see you in it.” said Sandra.

“Ok.” said Jessica.

“I'll come and help you.” said Helen.

They went upstairs while Sandra sat in the front and looked after Edward.

“So, you're Sandra? In the juniors.” said Miss Abbot.

“Yes. I'm in Mrs Jacob's class.” said Sandra.

“I should imagine you like having a sister?”

“I love her to bits.” said Sandra.

“And this is your brother, oh I've forgotten his name.” added Miss Abbot.

“His name is Edward.” said Sandra. “He starts school in September.”

“I hope he doesn't like dresses too?”

“He likes trains instead.” said Sandra.

It was just then that the front door went and Anne came in.

“Oh, hello.” she said, upon seeing Miss Abbot. “Why are you here?”

“You'll find out shortly.” said Miss Abbot.

Minutes later, Jessica was being led down the stairs wearing the pink dress. She looked thrilled.

“Well, who's the princess?” asked Anne. “So, where did you get the dress from?”

“I've given it to her.” said Miss Abbot. “It was part of the costume stock at the school, but they're clearing out most of it. I thought that Jessica should have it.”

“Wait a minute, this is the one she wore last year?” asked Anne.

Miss Abbot just smiled. “It looks even better now that her hair has grown.”

“Thank you miss.” smiled Jessica.

“You're welcome.” said Miss Abbot.

“Thank you for this kind gesture.” said Anne.

“Speak nothing of it. I'm glad she likes it.” said Miss Abbot. “Well, I'd better be off. Got lessons to plan, cooking to prepare.”

With that, Miss Abbot left.

Jessica was twirling on the spot, still marvelling at the dress.

“You look wonderful sis.” said Sandra.

“It seems to fit a bit better too.” said Jessica.

“And I'm sure that this would be your choice of outfit for your birthday?” asked Anne.

“She'll be the belle of the ball.” said Helen. “But this is the dress that she wore last year?”

“Yes.” said Anne. “The day she came out. The day that shaped the lives of this family forever.”

Jessica wanted to wear the dress all day, but was told that it would need a wash. Sandra had initially wanted to try the dress too, but Anne told her that this dress belonged to Jessica. She decided that this was the case, that this dress was destined for her since that fateful day.

One thing remained certain: Jessica had a topic to discuss at school the next day.

* * *

The next day at school, Jessica was not slow to let her friends know that she had a new dress and that it was the dress she had worn as Peter.

“Wow! You mean Miss Abbot just gave you that dress?!” said Lisa.

“I hope you wear that dress for your birthday party.” said Rachel.

“Your sister is so beaten in who looks prettier.” smiled Kelly.

Talk in class concerning the dress was put on hold as Miss Abbot quizzed them about the times tables once more.

“Every morning, I want you to recite the 6 times table to me. Next week we'll start on the 7 times table.”

So the class, as a whole, recited the 6 times table.

“We'll pass the test on Friday easily.” said Lisa during break.

At home, Anne had decided to give the dress a wash. She was glad that the washing instructions were still on the label, as she wasn't sure whether it needed to be washed in a certain way.

On another note, she was still wondering about Edward. It was still several months before he started school, but she was keen to get him mixing with other boys. An answer came when her daughter's friends came over for yet another day of playtime.

“My mom can't wait for Charlie to start school.” said Rachel. “With no brothers to play with, he gets bored. She isn't worried about me not having a sister because I come here often.”

“Is that so?” asked Anne. “If she wants Charlie to spend some time with other boys, what about bringing him here?”

“Yes, he can play with Edward.” said Jessica.

“I'll have to ask mom first.” said Rachel.

“I'll ask her when she comes round to pick you up later.” said Anne.

The girls were disappointed to discover that the pink dress was in the process of being washed. They were hoping to see Jessica wearing it. She was just as eager to model it for them.

There was now a good chance that it would be a busy birthday party with Emma and Michelle being brought all the way from Newcastle to attend. Sandra and Jessica were wondering if they could tell this to their friends. They already knew that Michelle was a boy like Jessica and wouldn't let on to anyone.

They then got word from Sally that confirmed their hopes. She was visiting as usual and told them that all had been agreed with their Uncle John.

“It's settled. Your mom and I are going to travel by train to Newcastle to collect Emma and Michelle. It will be just them, no one else.” said Sally. “Then we'll be escorting them back on the train.”

“It won't affect your work, will it?” asked Anne.

“No. I can book some time off for that weekend. It will cost a bit in fares but it will be better than the car. Besides, the girls can sleep on the train if they like.” said Sally. “It will be the first time I'll have seen Michelle since Christmas too. I've got no plans to go north any sooner.”

“Will Michael be travelling as a boy, or as a girl?” asked Anne.

“Most likely as a girl.” said Sally. “In these parts, he isn't known so no chance of him being outed.”

“It'll be interesting to meet her.” said Anne. “I suppose her whole personality has changed.”

“It wouldn't surprise me.” said Sally. “Everyone said it to me. My confidence was boosted from the day I was told to be myself.”

“Who told you that?” asked Anne.

“Carol McAllister.” said Sally. “She took me in after I was found near dead. After I tried to take my life.”

It was clear from the tone of her voice that this was part of her life that she preferred to not mention if possible.

“She was my landlady, my employer and my lover.” said Sally. “She helped me become who I am today.”

“This is that woman you haven't seen in 10 years or so?” asked Anne.

Sally nodded. “When we last met, I was still pre-op and couldn't fully appreciate sex. We were in love and would have stayed together had it not been for the call over the radio from my mom.”

“Did you know what happened to her?” asked Anne.

“After explaining everything to mom and John, I did go back to her house and found her gone. She had promised to help me complete the journey, but it wasn't to be. I quit my old job as a bar tender at her night club and got my present job. With help from mom and John, I completed my journey anyway.” said Sally.

“It sounds like she betrayed you.” said Anne.

“I doubt it. She and I were serious.” said Sally.

* * *

With Sally forced to look back on a relationship, Anne was in the midst of one. Her relationship with Julia was growing and the day that they lived together was very much in the planning. But she wasn't the only one planning for the future. Jessica was too, but not in the way that Anne was thinking.

Since receiving her as a present at Christmas, Jessica had grown rather found of her doll: Emily. She enjoyed playing with her and loved referring to herself as Emily's mommy. Sandra was just as keen on her own doll: Sally. It was down to this role play that Jessica started taking a keen interest in becoming a real mother later in life. She was unaware, however, that the chances of her becoming a biological mother were impossible.

This posed a problem for Anne when Jessica made her desires known later that week.

“Mommy. I want to be just like you and be a mommy too.” said Jessica.

Anne noticed that Emily was in Jessica's arms. She had shown Jessica how to hold her and the lesson had been well learnt.

“I'm sure you'll make a wonderful mommy.” said Helen. “Won't she Anne?”

“Yes, she will.” said Anne, trying to hide the sadness she felt.

Jessica didn't see it and sat in the living room to give Emily more milk.

“You do realise she can't be a mother?” asked Anne, as soon as Jessica was out of earshot.

“I do realise.” said Helen. “But she is only 6, going on 7. Her life is already going to be difficult without telling her this.”

“She loves that doll, rarely goes anywhere in the house without it.” said Anne.

“I know. I was just the same when I was young. We all had our favourite toys, whether it be a doll or a toy engine.”

“I wonder how she'll cope later when boys start asking her out?” added Anne. “She won't even have her own breasts till she is an adult.”

“Calm down. Jessica still has a few years to go before any of that.” said Helen. “If you need any advice though, ask Sally. You know she'll help.”

“You're right. Dr. Anderson will probably explain a bit more too.” said Anne.

For now, Anne turned her attention to the computer in Helen's room. It had been a week or so since she last checked her email. She logged in and found an email from John complete with photos attached.

Dear Anne

I promised to send photos of Emma and Michael onto you, and here they are. Just to remind you that Michael is enjoying every minute he spends as Michelle. He has come out to Emma's school friends and they are fully supportive of him.

They look forward to the party in March.

Bye

John.

Anne clicked on the links for the photos and found 2 of Emma and Michael, nearly identically dressed. Michael's hair had been tied back with a ribbon, and he looked more than happy to be in girls attire.

Keeping the photo on screen, she called the girls and Helen in to the room. They stood around the computer and looked.

“He looks really happy.” said Helen. “You'd find it hard to think of him as a boy like that.”

“He looks really nice in a dress.” said Sandra. “I do hope he grows his hair longer.”

“What if he doesn't?” asked Anne. “And besides, he still goes to school as a boy for now.”

“He said he wanted to.” said Jessica. “I can't wait to see them again.”

You'll have to wait till March for that.” said Anne.

The two sighed, but agreed.

“Come on sis, I'll test you on your six times table.” said Sandra to Jessica.

With that, they headed back to their room.

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

not sure but it seems as if

not sure but it seems as if Sandra is a little jealous of jessica's looks and that might be why she keeps bringing up the hair length.
I realize Kelly is trying to defend Jessica but I hope in the process of them becoming sisters that Kelly realizes that Sandra has feelings too and she can't keep bashing Sandra telling her that she isn't as good looking as her sister as this will just lead to resentment or worse between siblings.
no matter who you are it doesn't feel good to have someone tell you that you aren't as good as someone else

“He looks really happy.”

SHE does seem happier. But they should start switching the pronoun soon.

DogSig.png

Sounds like Michelle has now

Sounds like Michelle has now gotten some really good girlfriends at school who now knowing about her background will also be good friends outside school hours. I do believe that Michelle's parents need to decide if she is to be spoken of as a female or a male. Someone is going to make a mistake and out Michelle without wanting to or even realizing they are doing so until the damage has been done.
I really do not like this issue that neither girl can get hormones for breast growth until they are nearly are or are adult women. They should be able to develop at the same rate as any other normal girl. Doctors who function in this manner regarding treatment to younger girls are NOT doing so in the best medical or mental health of their patient/s. So SHAME on them. Just my take on this process. Janice Lynn

Janice, its mostly the fault

Janice, its mostly the fault of the NHS, and thats run by the government. And another thing: this is Jessica's story. I know Michelle's story is interlinked to this one, but this chapter is about Jessica. But as for Michael/Michelle being referred to as him/her, its still a simple case of how he/she is dressed.