Jessica's Story - Part 9

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 9

The final months of the year are upon the Smiths, with Bonfire Night, and a Carol Concert at the school. There is also another visit to the gender clinic, plus a parents evening for Anne to attend. But aside from presents, Jessica and her siblings are looking forward to the Christmas visit of the aunt and uncle that they've never met.

Jessica's Story – Part 9

Just after Halloween was Bonfire Night. The local council had arranged a huge firework display in the park, complete with bonfire. Entry was free and the only charges came for the food and drink on offer, which included hotdogs, burgers and toffee apples. The event was advertised in the local newspaper and a good crowd had shown up. The weather was good, though understandably cold.

The girls had all showed up with their parents. Edward was being looked after by Helen.

“Was it a good idea for us to let our moms be together?” whispered Jessica to Kelly. Anne and Julia were standing close together, too close in her opinion.

“I don't know, they are happy. Maybe we should be happy too?” she whispered back.

“What you two talking about?” asked Lisa.

“Nothing important. Just discussing what we want for Christmas.” said Jessica.

“Well, if that's the case, I want a pram for my baby doll, a new dress, some new shoes....”

“I don't think Father Christmas can afford all that.” offered Rachel.

“How long till the fireworks, mommy?” called Sandra.

“About 5 minutes” Anne called back after looking at her watch.

“I just want Father Christmas to take my willy away, though a dolls house would do as well” said Jessica.

“I do keep wishing that for you sis.” said Sandra.

A few minutes later, the first of the fireworks shot into the sky. Edward was intrigued by the pretty lights but not so keen on the loud bangs that followed. Helen had to comfort him after a while.

The fireworks went on for what seemed like ages. They stayed around till it was deemed time for young children to be in bed. They continued to see them on the way home.

“Any chance of a hot chocolate? I'm thirsty.” asked Jessica, as they entered the house.

“Oh, alright. I'll put the saucepan on.” said Anne. “Good job it is Friday. But remember Jess, you've got a doctors appointment tomorrow!”

Anne was pleased in that Dr. Anderson had agreed to make appointments on a weekend, as so to avoid Jessica missing school. This was Jessica's second trip to the gender clinic but was basically just a check up to see how she was coping full time.

“Good afternoon, Jessica.” said Dr. Anderson as they entered her office. “Please sit down.”

Anne and Jessica sat down and waited for the doctor to begin.

“Well, I just wanted to see how she is getting on. As I said last time, nothing can be done until puberty shows up.” she said.

“I'm just wondering why she'll have to wait till 16 before she can have the female hormones.” asked Anne.

“That's the rules I'm afraid. The NHS has guidelines and will not administer hormones until then. I know the problem, I have seen a few child patients in my time and they are eager to develop as a female the same time as their friends.” she said.

“So what's the reason?” asked Anne.

“You still get a lot pull out of the transistion before the female hormones are administered. They also want a child to get a taste of male puberty first.”

“Well, I'm certain that Jessica here is going to feel sick if she ends up with a stubble.” said Anne.

Dr. Anderson turned to Jessica.

“Is your mom right? You would feel sick if you started becoming a man?”

“Yes I would.” she replied.

“So then, what have you been up to since last time?” asked the doctor.

“Been making friends, going to school, playing with dolls, with my friends' hair.” she said

“I presume your friends are girls?” asked Dr. Anderson.

“Yes. They're my best friends.”

“These friends of hers are in on her secret. It hasn't hurt their friendship, more to the point, the friendship has become stronger.” said Anne.

“Well Jessica, you are in luck, to have some very good friends. Like your hair by the way.”

“She's growing it down to her bum. It was one of her friend's idea and they're all going to do it. Now there's a few moms, including me with some serious shampooing to do in the not too distant future.” said Anne, smiling.

“Hmm, doing it as a game?” chuckled Dr. Anderson.

“No, it's a sort of friendship pact. I'm kinda looking forward to it, even if it will be hard work.” smiled Anne.

“Well, it looks as though I'll not be needed until she's older. She is definitely a girl at heart. By the way, how's she coping at school?”

“Fine, the headmistress didn't have a problem. With the exception of those who know her, no one at the school is aware. My sister-in-law, a transsexual herself, got her a gaff to wear under her panties. It has helped a lot, especially for swimming.”

“She goes swimming? If she can get away there, she's practically safe.” admitted Dr. Anderson.

“Well, with her friends sticking to her like glue, she is.” said Anne.

“Sorry to call you out any way, seeing as you come a distance, but it's necessary that I see her every once in a while. I think every 6 months should do. So, May next year then.” said Dr. Anderson.

“Ok, that will be fine.” said Anne.

“Goodbye Jessica, hopefully, your hair will be long when I next see you.” said Dr. Anderson.

“I'll send you a letter for May within the week.” she said to Anne.

“So how long will my hair be by then?” asked Jessica, sitting in the car on the way home.

“Very long I shouldn't doubt, and beautiful too.” said Anne. “What gets me at this moment is what it requires to convince the doctors that you are a girl.”

“What's wrong with the doctors?” asked Jessica.

“By the time you get the medicine to give you a woman's body, your friends will already have theirs.” sighed Anne. “I'm sorry dear, but it's the truth.”

Jessica looked downhearted at this.

“Cheer up, Aunt Sally has offered to help you when the time comes.” said Anne. “I'll tell your friends and they will stick by you, I'm certain of it. But for now, just think about what you want for Christmas.”

“A dolls house!” was the immediate reply.

Anne decided to leave the subject of hormones for a while. It was best to stop Jessica from worrying too much for now.

* * *

Jessica was so close to her friends now at school that she had long forgotten about her former friends when she was still Peter. No one recognised her, for with her hair now very close to her shoulders, and her company of friends, she was Jessica Smith and 100% girl. The boys in her class had forgotten about Peter by all accounts, and that didn't bother her one bit.

She and Rachel were getting attention from the others as usual, all for playing catch up with their hair. With both now having near shoulder length hair, they had almost reached their primary goal. Rachel's hair was straight but it was thick. Because of this, her's got slightly more attention from the others. Rachel was aware of this and tried to even things out. She sorted out Jessica's hair more than the others did, and decided to let her play with her hair more often. Jessica did have to admit that Rachel's hair was going to be beautiful long and loved to stroke it.

“Now you see why they like my hair.” she told Jessica. “But yours is just as nice.”

Jessica just dreamily ran her fingers through Rachel's hair. It was so relaxing. Rachel thought so too and let her continue.

“Hey daydreamers, you gonna do that all day?” asked Lisa, who was having her wavy red hair plaited. It had started losing the curls she had had put in for Halloween.

“You just don't get it do you? This is so relaxing, don't you agree Jess?” said Rachel.

“Yes, so soft!” said Jessica, not quite answering the question, she was still miles away.

“When you have it as long as ours, you can stroke your own!” said Sandra.

Sandra made the point to Anne.

“Jessica and Rachel are getting boring! All they do now is stroke each others hair!”

“So, whats wrong with that?” said Anne.

“They don't do anything else!” said Sandra.

“Will you give over. They are just learning what it's like to have long hair. Besides, you know it relaxes you. Come here, it seems you're in need of some relaxation.” said Anne, now finding a brush. Sandra went and sat by her and allowed her to brush her hair.

“That better?” she asked.

“Yes, I suppose we've been hard on them, but they do seem close to one another.” said Sandra.

“Well, they have got something in common, haven't they? Just let them be. They're still your friends, the way you're talking, you sound jealous.”

“I'm not jealous.” she said.

“You still want it curly, for you know this gets them out?” asked Anne, changing the subject.

“Sure I do, it feels nicer.” she replied.

“Well, who's having their hair brushed now!” said Rachel walking in with Jessica.

Sandra stuck her tongue out, which only got giggles in return.

By the end of the month, Jessica's hair was touching her shoulders and she felt great about it. She had climbed the mountain and was now on the downward journey. She now felt obliged to tie her hair back, but having it loose still felt best.

Anne had started doing the Christmas shopping, for with Uncle John and his family coming to visit, there were extra mouths to feed. The house was certainly going to be packed over the Yuletide holiday.

She came back one day with plenty of bags. The girls were eager to know if any contained potential presents for them.

“Do you think I'm going to tell you?” she said to them. “Well, in any case, no. Remember it will be a surprise and that means you'll have to wait till the day itself to find out.”

Not the answer either girl wanted. Still, she had got them Advent calenders with chocolates in them.

At school, things were looking towards the festive season. The Nativity play was being cast and Jessica was hoping to land the role of Mary. Her friends were hoping to be picked for the same role too. Thus a little bit of rivalry began.

“I wanted that role last year, but...” started Jessica.

“I know.” said Lisa consolingly. “Who knows, you may get it this time.”

“Well, I hope I get the part instead.” said Kelly.

Their hopes were dashed when it was discovered that a girl from another class got the part.

“Sorry girls, but the part went to a girl from 2EB.” said Miss Abbot.

“Whats wrong with us?” asked Lisa.

“Can't say, but I thought any of you would have made an excellent Mary.” she replied.

“Great, now gotta wait till next year!” grumbled Rachel.

Anne was hard pressed to do the present buying as work meant that most opportunities to do the shopping were when the children were around. She enlisted Sally to help her out at times, and one occasion proved more useful. It was Anne's day off work, and the girls were at school. She and Sally had arrived at the house with a very large box.

“Where can we put it?” asked Sally.

“Just trying to think.” said Anne. “I think I have an idea – upstairs.”

“Need any help?” asked Helen.

“We can manage.” said Anne.

They struggled up the stairs and into Helen's bedroom. There was an alcove in the room just big enough.

“The girls will see it, won't they?” said Sally.

“They don't often come in here, and they'll be coming in here even less in the meantime.” said Anne.

“I think I can make things easier for you.” said Helen, who had followed them up.

She went and took a sheet from her cupboard and covered the box with it. She took a few seconds to look at the box first.

“I think they'll like this.” she said.

“I'm sure they will. Not the cheapest dolls house but by no means the dearest either.” said Anne.

Helen moved a few ornaments onto the covered box.

“I'll wrap it up tonight. Got some wrapping paper somewhere.” Anne added. “Might have time for a drink – nearly time to pick up the girls from school.”

* * *

The girls had brushed aside the disappointment of the Nativity casting and got on with their work. Art was a favourite subject and now, with Christmas just a few weeks away, they, along with the rest of the class were making decorations for the room. They were making paper chains, Lisa and Jessica were cutting strips of paper, Rachel and Kelly were sticking them together.

“So, what are you getting for Christmas?” asked Rachel, for the nth time that week.

“We've asked for a dolls house. Still no sign of one and mommy is not saying anything.” said Jessica.

“Mommy and daddy are getting me a pram.” said Lisa.

“Oh drat, run out of paper. Miss, can we have some more paper please?” called Jessica.

“Run out have we? Lets see how you're doing.” said Miss Abbot, looking at their chain thus far. “I think a little longer will do, I'll just get you some more.”

Another 10 sheets of coloured paper arrived at their table.

When Miss Abbot deemed there was enough decorations, she had them start on some Christmasy drawings.

“What are you drawing?” asked Rachel to Jessica.

“Us, in princess dresses.” she replied.

“I thought we were doing Christmas drawings?” added Lisa.

“I am, I putting a Christmas tree here and Father Christmas over there.” she smiled.

“I've just done Father Christmas on his sleigh.” said Kelly.

Their drawings were going to be displayed around the room once they had been finished.

The following week, they did cookery: baking biscuits, Christmas themed too. They did the baking in the morning and then after dinner, when the biscuits were cool, put icing on them.

“Wow, it seems we have a young cook in the family!” said Anne as the half dozen biscuits were sampled.

“Well, teacher put them in the oven for us.” said Jessica.

“Nevertheless, young lady, you are a cook in the making!” said Anne.

“Well done sis, these are nice biscuits!” said Sandra.

“Ok, bath time tonight remember.” said Anne. “If you're still planning on growing that hair of yours, you'll need to wash it a lot.”

“Yippee!” said Jessica.

“Yes we are mommy!” said Sandra.

Though Anne wasn't stating the order she wanted them in the tub, Jessica volunteered to go first.

“You never used to like baths at one time. Why the change?” asked Anne.

“I don't know, I just like them now, and having my hair washed.” she replied.

“Is it because you are a girl now? It seems girls like baths where boys don't.” asked Anne.

“Maybe.” smiled Jessica.

She left the bathroom with her hair in a towel.

“Your turn, lazybones!” she said to Sandra.

“Lazybones?! You cheeky little..!” said Sandra. Jessica just giggled.

“Did you hear what she called me?” asked Sandra as she entered the bathroom.

“Just ignore her and get in the tub, there's a good girl.” said Anne.

By the time Sandra was finished and downstairs, Jessica was already dry and dressed. She was reading a book.

“Well, started reading? This is new.” said Anne.

“It's 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.'. Gran is helping me if I get stuck.” said Jessica.

“Good book, read it myself when I was young.” smiled Anne. “Sandra, why don't you start reading a bit more? Nothing wrong in doing so.”

“No, it's ok, I'll just go and dry my hair.” said Sandra, heading back upstairs.

“Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you both, you're booked for a trip to the hairdressers.” said Anne.

Jessica looked away from her book, not at all pleased at the announcement.

“Don't worry, you just need to get another trim. As long as you're growing it, it needs trimming occasionally.” said Anne.

“I don't like it trimmed, I like it long.” she sulked.

“I like it long too.” said Anne, beginning to run her fingers through her hair. “Ever since I noticed it was curly, I knew it would look wonderful long. Look, all your friends will have to have it trimmed from time to time. They don't complain. The hairdresser will make sure it looks good now so that it looks good when its way down your back.”

“Promise?” asked Jessica.

“I promise.” said Anne. “And I'm sure it will look better than Sandra's, but don't tell her I said that.”

That made Jessica smile. “Ok, I'll go, but not too much.”

“That's my girl.” said Anne, kissing her on the forehead.

Jessica returned to her book while Anne went after Sandra.

* * *

As November wore on, the weather got colder. The girls were now needing their coats everyday when going to school. The trip to the hairdressers was the final weekend of the month and Jessica was still apprehensive.

“Hello again.” said the head assistant. “Having a new style or just a tidy up?”

“For me, just touch up the roots and a quick trim, I'm seeing what a few more inches will do.” said Anne.

“Growing it, you may be right there. What about the young ladies?”

“Jessica just needs another quick trim and Sandra wants another loose perm.” said Anne.

With the shop being unusually empty, all three were seen to at once. Jessica felt at unease when she discovered that the woman doing her hair was the same as last time.

“Oh, it's you again? Just another trim, I hear. Ok, lets get started.” she said.

“Don't take too much off.” said Jessica.

“No worries young lady, your hair is just fine, growing out nicely. How long you planning on growing it?”

“To my bum.” said Jessica.

“That long?! Well, you'll need to look after it then. I guess you'll be the prettiest girl in the school with hair that long.” said the assistant as she started combing and cutting.

“My sister and my friends are growing theirs to their bums too.” said Jessica, now showing a bit of a smile.

“So, I can expect to see them too a few times then?” smiled the assistant. “Well, your hair just needed a quick trim after all. All finished.”

Jessica looked in the mirror and saw that indeed, very little length had been lost. She felt relieved. Sandra and Anne were a little while longer so she just looked at the pictures on the walls again.

“We're done.” said Anne, noticing that Jessica was half asleep.

“Finally.” she yawned and got up.

“I'm stopping off at the chippy on the way back to get dinner, so what do want?” asked Anne.

“Fishcake and chips.” said Jessica, as they made for the car.

A quick trip to the chippy was followed by the trip back home. They sat in the kitchen to eat their dinners.

“So, you were finished quick? Told you you it would be a quick trim.” said Anne.

“So what did you have done mommy?” asked Sandra, who was eating with one hand and playing with her hair with the other.

“I just had the roots of my hair dyed. I'm keeping my red hair for a while longer plus I'm going to grow it a bit more.” she said.

“You're gonna have your hair down to your bum?” asked Jessica. “That would be great.”

“I don't think I'm gonna grow it that much. You can by all means, but me, no.” she said.

“Shame, you'd look ever so nice.” said Sandra.

“I said no!” she repeated.

The subject of hair once again came in play at school when Rachel told everyone that she'd almost gone short again.

“Went to the hairdressers to get it tidied up and mom almost told the hairdresser to cut my hair short. I went crazy and told her that I was growing it out.”

“Thank goodness for that, I think you hair looks better as it is. Why does your mom like short hair on you, anyway?” said Lisa.

“I have no idea. She has never said why. But I'm glad it's longer, loving the feeling on my shoulders!” she said dreamily.

“I had the feeling when I wore a wig earlier this year. The wig was longer though, and straight.” said Jessica.

“I remember, its because of that that I ended up making friends with you.” said Kelly.

She told Lisa and Rachel all about it and how as a result, they had been friends ever since.

“And thanks to Kelly, I now have you too.” said Jessica.

November drew to a close and December was upon them. The first sign that Christmas was nigh were the presence of 3 Advent Calenders on the wall.

“You're lucky nowadays, we didn't get chocolates behind each door.” said Helen.

“Didn't have Barbie or Thomas the Tank Engine on them either.” added Anne.

“When are the decorations going up?” asked Sandra.

“Perhaps next week, unlike some people, who have had them up since 2 weeks ago.” said Anne.

“You thought of what you want to get your friends yet?” she added minutes later.

“Nope, you said we could send them cards.” said Jessica.

“Yes, I'll get the cards out and you can take your pick. Then you can take them to school tomorrow.”

The next day, Uncle John called over the phone just to confirm a few things, firstly that they would be stopping at a motel on the outskirts over night, allowing them to have a full day with them. He also wanted confirmation on the number of children Anne had.

“Why did he want to know that?” asked Jessica, who had been eavesdropping.

“Know what?” asked Anne as she put the phone down.

“About us being 2 girls and a boy?”

“Oh, that? It's nothing, nothing at all.” she said.

With Christmas getting nearer, Sandra and Jessica were getting a little impatient. Due to the arrival of their Uncle John and his family, plus Aunt Sally, it meant that a Christmas get together with their friends had been arranged for Boxing Day.

“You got our presents yet?” asked Sandra.

“Don't be so rude. If you want to know, I've sent them on to Father Christmas. You'll have to wait till the day itself now.” said Anne.

“I'm getting a Thomas the Tank Engine!” said Edward as the girls went into the living room. He was playing on the floor with a chunky jigsaw puzzle that had a picture of his favourite television character.

“Oh, that's nice. Let me help you with that jigsaw.” said Sandra.

“No, I can do it!” said Edward, obviously not eager for any help.

“He can do it. In fact he's done it a few times already.” said Helen, who was doing some knitting.

“Yeah, but its only got 12 pieces! It's easy.” said Sandra.

* * *

“So, we're coming round to your place for Boxing Day?” asked Lisa. “If that's so, I'll bring my presents round to show you!”

“If you can carry them all!” added Rachel.

“Yes, and we'll be having another Christmas dinner too.” said Jessica. “At least that means fewer turkey sandwiches.”

The four of them had been asked to put on their singing voices. The school carol concert was coming up and each year was to perform a single carol. For them and their fellow 2nd years, they had been given “Hark the Herald Angels.”

“You don't sound like a boy, and besides, with everyone else singing, no one will notice your voice anyway.” said Anne as Jessica voiced her concerns.

Anne had brought the step ladders into the house, so that the decorations could go up. The children were helping by putting the decorations on the tree.

“When Adam was here, it was easier, but we've managed it anyhow.” said Anne, wiping her brow of sweat.

“I like the decorations out, the room is much prettier.” said Jessica.

“As are you, first Christmas for you, my sweetheart.” said Anne. “Be sure to wear a nice dress when your uncle comes to visit.”

“I will mommy!” she replied and headed upstairs.

“I'm beginning to thank the day Peter came out as a girl.” said Anne as Helen approached.

Miss Abbot gave letters out to her class at the end of the one day. The girls read them.

“Parents evening! Next week!” said Lisa.

“So? I've never had any complaints.” said Kelly.

“I'm wondering what my mommy will say to Miss Abbot.” said Jessica. “They last met when I had that incident.”

“I know the one, I wish I'd seen you then, you must have looked pretty.” said Kelly.

“It was a nice dress.” agreed Jessica.

Sandra had the same letter too. In each case, the letter had a time, handwritten on each, alloted for each set of parents. Anne was thankful that Sandra's time was different to that of Jessica.

“This is about your school work. Don't worry. You can stay here with gran.”

The day soon arrived and Anne headed out to the school.

“Hi Anne!” said Julia as they met up the pathway. “You've got two teachers I presume?”

“Yes, Sandra's is first, then Jessica.” replied Anne.

“I want you to know that I think about you always.” said Julia.

“Me too. I want us to spend more time together.” said Anne, reaching for Julia's hand and holding it.

“Well, better be heading inside, my appointment is soon.” said Julia. She turned and headed for the infants entrance. Anne turned and headed for the juniors.

She got a sound report for Sandra from her teacher. Afterwards, she cut across the building to the Infants and found Miss Abbot's room. Julia had already been seen and had since left. She waited outside while the parents inside overstayed their alloted time.

“Ms Smith?” asked Miss Abbot on the threshold. “Good Evening, care to come in?"

Anne went in and took a seat by Miss Abbot's desk.

“Well, Jessica has settled in well and is producing some fine work. She is to be fair, one of the best in my class.” said Miss Abbot as they both sat down. There was a collection of Jessica's books and work at hand.

“I did hear from her, that you know. I won't go into details.” said Anne.

“I see, this isn't a problem is it? I haven't passed this on to anyone.” said Miss Abbot, feeling a little at unease.

“No, I'm glad in a way that you are her new teacher. That meeting we had earlier this year has proven to be a pivotal one not just for my daughter but me.” said Anne.

“Oh, I thought I was in for a guilt trip. I shouldn't have brought you in then. Your husband certainly didn't take it well.” said Miss Abbot apologetically.

“Well, afterwards, Jessica came out. I've seen fit to support her, my husband didn't and I saw fit to end our marriage. His affair only sealed it further.

“I'm sorry it worked out like that.” said Miss Abbot.

“Don't be, he was nothing more than a self centred opinionated bigot. I'm happier without him. As for Jessica, she has been a breath of fresh air. ”

“Well, back to Jessica and her work. She is very down to earth, enjoys her work, gets on well with her classmates and especially the girls she shares a table with. I'm really glad for her, to be honest.”

“Yes, you mean Kelly, Rachel and Lisa? They are often visiting us. I'm really happy she has understanding friends.” said Anne.

“You mean they know?” asked Miss Abbot, sounding surprised.

“Yes, they know, and they've stuck by her. They treat her as one of their own and that's the way it ought to be.”

“I suppose that's why they hang around her at swimming. I just thought it was close friendship, but they're actually protecting her?” said Miss Abbot. “This story gets better.”

Anne started to look at her daughter's work. It was an improvement on Peter's work, not just in that she knew more, but the writing was generally neater. It made her smile.

“So, just to sum things up, your daughter is a bright and intelligent girl and I hope, the future is equally good to her.” smiled Miss Abbot.

“Thank you, I appreciate that.” said Anne, shaking Miss Abbot's hand. “Bye then.

“Good Bye.”

When she arrived home, she found Jessica looking a little anxious.

“Whats wrong? If you want to know, Miss Abbot is very pleased with your work. You've got nothing to be worried about. And I'm agreeing with her, your work has improved since last year, but I think I know why.”

“Why?” asked Jessica.

“Because you're being allowed to be yourself, the person you really are. You're now where you belong, with the girls. I can see that now.” said Anne as she gave Jessica a hug.

* * *

Christmas drew ever nearer and the shopping continued. This time, food being the main items. With a large number of people needing to be catered for, Anne knew her work was going to be cut out. At least having Helen around was a huge help.

“Okay, lets see, will this one do?” asked Anne. She was in the girls bedroom helping them decide on what to wear for Christmas. She wanted them to look good for when their uncle visited.

Both had ample dresses to chose from, as well as shoes and other items.

“I like this dress better.” said Sandra, picking out a lilac dress.

“Well, if thats what you want to wear. What about you Jessica?” said Anne.

“I like pink best.” she said picking out a dress of said colour.

“I think that is a little too girly. What about this one?” said Anne, picking out a sky blue dress.

“I presume so, I'll put it on, shall I?” she replied.

“Go ahead” said Anne.

Both put on the chosen dresses and showed Anne.

“Yes, they look fine. Now about the hair.”

She sat them down and got a brush. She went to work on Sandra's first, a little easier seeing that she had more length.

“Actually, I think a similar style for both of you. Just simply keeping it away from your ears.” she said as she took a clip and took the sides of Sandra's hair and tied them back.

“Your hair is long enough to do likewise.” she said to Jessica. Soon, both sisters had their hair done in the same way.

“Well, I think Uncle John is going to love his two nieces.” she said, smiling at them.

“So, do we keep these dresses on for now?” asked Sandra.

“I suppose you'd better change. Don't want them getting dirty before then. I'll put them on one side.”

They both opted for t-shirts and shorts and came down for dinner.

Christmas was just over a week away and the school carol concert arrived. It was in the evening, which meant that the girls had to remain in their uniforms all day. Anne allowed them some repite, so they could take a bath each. That evening, the whole household headed off for the school again.

“How are they going to get all the kids into one hall?” asked Helen.

“Each year only has 3 classes, making for 18 classes in total, 9 infants, 9 juniors.” said Anne. “They are getting the children sorted into classrooms, so I believe, but 80 or so children a year is a lot.”

“They're gonna be leading us through the stage doors.” said Sandra. “They've been having us in the halls to practice.”

Sandra and her fellow 1st year juniors were to sing “O' Little Town of Bethlehem.”

“I'm just nervous, standing in front of everyone.” said Jessica.

“I'm sure you're not alone. There must be plenty of others feeling a little nervous.” said Anne.

When they arrived, the girls headed off in the direction of their classes, where they had been told to meet. Anne and Helen headed to the hall to be seated.

“Hi, expected to see you here.” said Julia who was already seated. Anne went and sat beside her. Helen knew why of course, but seeing the other parents that had showed up already, knew nothing would happen.

They recognised the parents of Lisa and Rachel too, having seen them when they had arrived to pick their daughters up. They of course, said hello to them.

“Well, they're not doing them in year order, the second years are fourth.” said Julia, looking at the sheet of paper they had all been given.

The first to sing were the 3rd year infants, doing “Silent Night”. Then came the 2nd year juniors with “Once in Royal David's City”. Next up were the 3rd year juniors with “While Shepherds Watched.”

“Hope none sing the joke version!” whispered Julia.

After that, they kept their eyes peeled for their daughters, as the 2nd year infants arrived on stage. It was so predictable that Jessica and Kelly were together, with Lisa and Rachel beside them.

“Inseparable!” said Anne. “Real friends indeed.”

They could tell that Jessica and Kelly were both looking out for them, as were many others looking for their parents among the crowd. They soon got the hint that they'd been noticed. The children were soon concentrating on their performance instead, and gave a good rendition of the classic carol. Anne, Helen and Julie both applauded, with their daughters leaving the stage with a smile.

The 1st year juniors were next, so the sisters caught a glance of one another as one lot left the stage and the next lot walked on.

After the show, the parents got up and headed off to the various classrooms to wait for their children. Sandra obviously realised that Anne would head for Jessica's class and headed there herself, having told the teacher where she was off to.

“Jessica, you were wonderful.” said Anne taking her daughter into a hug. She noticed Sandra heading towards them and gave her a gesture which told her to wait there.

Outside, Sandra wanted to know what was going on.

“Just for safety's sake, I didn't want anyone seeing you and Jessica together. It may lead to questions about Peter. After all, it was this that lead to Rachel and Lisa finding out.” said Anne.

“But they are friends, they haven't been any trouble!” said Sandra.

“I know that, and I'm glad. However, some may be, and they could end up telling their parents and it could be very bad for Jessica.” said Anne.

“Bad? How?” she replied.

“Some people are like dad, don't like people like Jessica. They don't want people like that around and they do bad things to get their way. That is why Jessica and you must keep up the pretence that you are not sisters. Say you are cousins if need be but not sisters.”

“Ok, but it's so unfair. What has Jessica done wrong?” said Sandra, sounding worried.

“She hasn't done anything wrong. Its just that a lot of people don't understand what she's doing and refuse to do so.” said Anne.

“But you understand, I understand, Gran understands.” Sandra replied.

“You're right. We do understand and so we must stand by Jessica. Understand?”

“Yes.” she said and turned to face her sister. She loved her sister too much and didn't want to see her get hurt. “So she's my cousin?”

“Only if someone asks you.” said Anne, turning towards the car.

“Don't worry sis, I wont let anyone hurt you.” she said to Jessica.

“I love you sis!” said Jessica, hugging her.

“Come on you two.” said Anne, though she couldn't help but smile at the two girls embrace.

up
128 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Bonfire Night? Is that the

Bonfire Night? Is that the new name for Guy Fawkes Day in November? I remember that holiday (on either the 5 or 6th of Nov) from when I lived in England in the 1950s. Halloween is actually celebrated there now? When we were there, the parents and children seemed to not know anything about Halloween, at least as we Americans celebrated it. We did a Halloween party at home and invited kids and their parents, and they truly were "lost" about what we were doing.
Am very engaged in this heartwarming story and am anxiously waiting for Michael/Michelle to meet up with her cousins, especially Jessica. Janice

Bonfire night

Podracer's picture

It's been called that, at least in this part of England, as long as I can remember.
The girls innocently don't really see, in their acceptance of Jessica, the scary side of their friend's situation. May they never need to.

"Reach for the sun."

Jessica's'

Just done with this story and now reading michelle over on FM can't wait til you and the next chapter for Jessica. This is a great story.