Michelle's Story - Part 5

Printer-friendly version

Michelle's Story - Part 5

With Michael now out to his sister and parents, its just a case of explaining things to his older brother James. James takes it hard, but comes to accept it. If only the school headteacher would - as a meeting to discuss the bully turns to Michael's gender.

Michelle's Story – Part 5

As they left the Smith's house and headed back to the motel for the night, the mood in the car was mixed with wonder, disbelief and excitement. The latter belonged to Michael and Emma, who now were looking forward to being closer than they could ever have imagined.

They were sat next to each other on the back seat and to James, they were looking too close for his liking. He knew there was more to Michael's explanation and newly reformed friendship with Emma than had been let on. He wanted the full truth and he wasn't prepared to wait for an answer.

When they arrived at the motel and entered their room, James made his move.

“What is going on? Michael was afraid of girls, now he's getting on fine with them! Why are he and Emma so close now?!”

Everyone turned to look at him.

“James, will you stop being so nosey!” said John. “Yes, your brother and sister are close, but they always have been. They've just had a misunderstanding and now they are patching things up. Satisfied?”

James looked defiant. “That's not all, is it?”

“Look son, you need to learn to be less nosey.” said John. “Yes, there is more, but it is a delicate matter. Something you are obviously not ready to hear at this time!”

James did shut up then. One thing he knew for certain, was to heed his dad whenever he raised his voice.

“Sorry dad.” he said at last. Feeling smaller, he got ready for bed.

When they awoke early next morning, John spoke to him again.

“Listen, I'll tell you when we get back home. The subject is delicate and I need you to understand fully what is going on.”

“So, what is the subject?” asked James.

“You'll find out at home.” said John. “Now just be patient. And don't stand between your brother and sister.”

After a quick breakfast in the motel cafe, they set off on the long road home. As always, they stopped twice along the way, for food and toilets. It was at the second stop that John took Emma and Michael to one side. James was in the shop and Liz was with him.

“When we get home, I don't want you making a bee line for Emma's room.” he told them. “We need to explain things to James first.”

“He won't like me for it, will he?” asked Michael.

“He probably won't, but once I explain to him what is going to happen, he will, even if it takes time. Just go easy on him. This is a lesson for all of us.” said John.

“So when can I play with Michelle?” asked Emma.

“Hopefully soon.” said John. This was the first time he had heard Michael's new name but said nothing. “But there are lots of things to do first. Patience is very important here.”

“Ok daddy.” said Emma.

“We understand, daddy.” said Michael.

John smiled. “For now, call me dad. I don't want James to get curious.”

They did just that and upon arriving home late that evening (traffic had been bad once more due to further snowfall), they gathered in the living room and rested for a few minutes. Liz put the kettle on and took a jar of cocoa out of the cupboard.

James looked at John with expectation. Now that they were home, James wanted answers, but John showed no sign of budging and he decided to carry on waiting.

Nothing was done till the following day. John had got the day off work, so that morning, he told Michael and Emma to remain in the living room with Liz while he had a private word with James.

He took him to his bedroom and told him to sit.

“Ok James. You want to know what is going on with Michael?”

“Yes, but you said it was delicate?” replied James.

“It is. What I'm about to tell you, I do not want you telling anyone, not even your friends. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes dad.” said James, acknowledging the fact that John's expression was serious.

“Ok, your brother has been the victim of a cruel hoax by a bully named Billy. He was led to believe that girls would force him into dresses and make him subject to horrible abuse.”

“That's it?” said James. “He was afraid of them for that? But why?”

“This is where it gets awkward. Have you ever heard about boys who want to be girls?” asked John.

James looked at his father in horror. “You're not telling me, my brother is one of them?”

“Yes. Michael wants to be a girl.” said John.

“Oh, this is embarrassing!” sighed James. “My brother is a freak!”

“I don't ever want you using that word!” said John, his voice rising. “Michael is not a freak. Whatever you've heard about people like him, I want you to forget it right now!”

James froze, shook by his father's temper.

“Now son, myself, your mom and the rest of our family are going to support him. If you choose not to, I'm not going to stop you, but I will not have you teasing him, or inciting others to do the same.”

James still showed shame in his face.

“If I ever hear of you doing anything to hurt him, you will have me to answer to.”

“Yes dad. I'm sorry dad.” said James. “So, does this mean he'll be dressing as a girl from now on?”

“Now and again.” said John. “He'll be going to school for the foreseeable future as a boy, but in the sanctuary of this house, he will be dressing as a girl.”

“Ok, but not now please.” said James.

“We're not rushing you into meeting your new sister just yet. We haven't really met her either.” said John, now putting an arm around him. “Besides, you've already seen a boy wearing girls clothes.”

“I have?! When?” asked James.

“Christmas Day.” said John. “Your cousin Jessica.”

“What?!” exclaimed James. “She is a boy?!”

“She prefers the term 'was'.” said John. “She helped your brother overcome the fear that has been bothering him these past few weeks.”

“I never would have known if you hadn't told me.” said James, now starting to cry.

“Your mother and I knew in advance, but even we were amazed at how convincing she is. Hopefully, we can help Michael to be just as convincing.” said John. “Now dry your eyes.”

James wiped the tears away with his hands and continued to look at his father.

“Now, I'm going to tell you to lay off Michael for a while. I need to speak to him again and explain a few more things.”

James followed John out of the room and headed for his own room and shut the door behind him. John could soon hear him sobbing once more.

* * *

Downstairs, Liz looked to John as he arrived back in the living room.

“How did it go?” she asked.

“Not bad.” said John. “Had to raise my voice a bit. Already getting the wrong idea from his friends.”

“But did he take it well?” added Liz.

“He's upset.” said John. “But I think he'll come round. Just let him be for now.”

“Shall I go and speak to him?” asked Michael.

“No, I think he wants to be left alone.” said John. “Now, to you two.”

Emma and Michael turned to look at their father.

“I need to make sure you get some things clear. When you go back to school in the new year, I do not want you telling anyone about Michael wishing to be a girl.”

“Ok, but can I play with him at school?” asked Emma.

“It might be best if that was left for here.” said John. “Children like Michael and Jessica are vulnerable to the views of other people. Most people do not understand how you feel, and feel frightened of you. For that reason, you must not tell anyone without the permission of myself or your mother.”

“Now, what about an introduction to our new daughter?” asked Liz. “I think some of Emma's old clothes might fit.”

Emma and Michael both smiled at this. Liz got up and took them to Emma's room, careful not to disturb James, whose door was still shut.

“Ok.” said Liz. “Time to let the girl Michael out.”

“Her name is Michelle.” said Emma.

“Ok, Michelle then.” said Liz. “Now please be quiet so you don't disturb James.”

Liz and Emma looked through the chests of drawers and cupboards, searching for older clothes that Emma hadn't worn in a while. While they couldn't find a pair of shoes, they did find panties, socks and a blue dress.

Emma watched on as Liz helped Michael out of his boy clothes and into the girl ones. Soon, Michael stood before them looking nothing like a boy.

“Just need to give her hair a tidy up.” said Liz, taking Emma's hairbrush from her table. “There we go. One little princess, without shoes.”

Emma went over to Michael and hugged him. Unlike the incident on Christmas Day, Michael was all smiles in the dress. To help complete the look, Liz had found an hair band and put it on his head.

“Thanks mommy.” he said. “I feel better now.”

Liz took a look at him and took a deep breath. “I think your dad would like to see you.”

Once again, they walked silently, so as not to disturb James. They headed back to the living room where John awaited. He was taken aback by the sight, though to see the smile on Michael's face, made him smile back.

“John, I've got someone who would like to meet you.” said Liz, presenting Michael.

“Now, I promised not to laugh, and I'm keeping that promise.” said John. “Are you sure you want to do this?”

Michael went over and gave his father a hug.

“I am sure, and thank you daddy.” said Michael. “Do you think I look pretty?”

“You look wonderful.” said John. “Now we just need to make you a complete girl.”

“Can you do that?” asked Michael. “Can you make me a complete girl?”

“I can't, but special doctors can.” said John. “We'll get you to see one in the new year.”

For the most of the afternoon, Michael spent it in Emma's room. He had a few things to learn about being a girl, but Emma was a willing teacher.

“Now, Gemma needs her nappy changing.” said Emma. “When you get a doll, you'll need to do this too.”

“Ok. So, you want me to help?” asked Michael.

“I'll show you.” said Emma.

She found Michael to be a keen student in the ways of girlplay and was beginning to enjoy his company more, though she was struggling to remember that the girl sitting beside her was really her brother.

“If you've always wanted to be a girl, why didn't you say so a while ago?” she asked him.

“I've been afraid to say anything.” he replied. “Plus James didn't want me to be sissyish.”

“Oh, that.” said Emma. “Well, you're a girl now, and enjoying it.”

“I am.” said Michael. “I want to play in this room every day.”

Everyday was, as he learned, something that wasn't coming soon. His parents were still coming to terms with his coming out, but supportive. The only obstacle for now was his brother James.

* * *

Michael's first ever session of playing in Emma's room was ended when Liz came up and asked them to come down for dinner. Michael had to change back into boys clothes for this, seeing that James would be seeing him for the first time since he had been told about his brother's desire to be a girl.

“Don't say anything to your brother if possible.” said Liz as she led him and Emma downstairs.

“I never thought I'd say this.” said Emma. “But Michael, I mean Michelle, is great fun to play with.”

“That is good to hear.” said Liz. “But, as I've just said to Michael, don't say anything to James.”

They sat in the living room, watching the telly. John had gone up to see if James was ready to leave his room, where he had been since being told.

“James, it's time for dinner. You coming out?” asked John.

After a few minutes, the door opened, and James appeared with a tear stained face. He still looked upset.

“I'm losing my brother, aren't I?” he sighed. “But why? Why did he have to do this?”

“Eventually, but not yet.” replied John. “He wants to do it. We cannot explain why, apart from that he feels he is a girl.”

“But how do we know he isn't lying?” asked James.

“If he was lying, he would have been uncomfortable just a few minutes ago.” said John. “For he has been playing in Emma's room for a few hours.”

James looked at his father in disbelief.

“Look, this is a subject that many do not understand. When the subject appeared in the news for the first time a good many years ago, it was received with much fear and resentment. Many still hold those opinions. Many have never met one of these people, either because they refuse beyond anything to understand them, or have never had the fortune to meet one.” said John, now going into James' room and sitting on the edge of the lower bed.

“But I've seen people like them in the newspapers and they look like men in women's clothing. They don't look like women at all!” said James.

“Some are like that.” sighed John. “And those are the ones people remember. But some do not. Some look so convincing, that they can walk along the street and anyone who saw them would never know.”

“How would you know?” asked James. “Have you seen one?”

“Jessica is one example.” said John. “Did she look like a boy to you?”

“No, but she is young.” said James. “So, name another example.”

“Another example?” asked John, realising he had suggested another.

“Yes.” said James. “Well?”

“I saw another in a magazine many years ago.” said John. He decided to keep Sally's past secret for a while longer.

“Ok, I need to wash my face first.” said James. “I'll be down in a few minutes.”

“Ok, but say nothing to Michael, please.” said John.

The children heeded their parents advice and said nothing to one another. It didn't stop James from looking at Michael with curiosity. It was as though he half expected Michael's attire to change into something feminine, or Michael to show some sort of feminine behaviour.

This didn't go unnoticed by John and Liz, though they said nothing. It was expected in a way, as James was struggling to come to terms with his brother's life changing decision.

It was fair to say that the relationship between James and Michael became uncomfortable for the next few days.

That night, James watched as Michael changed into his favourite Ben 10 pyjamas and went to bed as usual. He wondered if Michael would soon be wearing pink pyjamas with teddy bears all over them instead. The thought upset him. He didn't want this to happen. He wanted his younger brother, not another sister. As much as he had criticised Michael for not being boyish enough, he really liked him. And so, without a word being exchanged between them, they went to sleep.

* * *

The next day saw John back at work, so Liz was left to look after the children. They had all been given strict instructions to lay off their mother while she remained pregnant. She was nearly at the halfway stage and her tummy was starting to show it. John would be getting some paternity leave in order to help her in the final months.

But for now, she just wanted the children to give her some peace and quiet as she rested herself. The only thing was that Emma wanted some more time with her new sister. This meant that James would go into self imposed seclusion once more, as he was still unready to see Michael as Michelle.

Michael was more than willing to have his hair brushed into a more girly style and wear a dress once more. Liz was intrigued by the change that overcame Michael as he put on that dress. He became a girl almost immediately and the boy he was, was lost for now. The only thing that bothered her for now, was his lack of girls shoes.

At the end of the day, John received a phonecall from Anne. She was just enquiring about Michael mainly and John explained that it was early days yet.

For now, John was just waiting for a response from James. James had been distant from Michael since hearing about his brother's coming out. He had yet to meet Michelle and that was what John wanted him to do.

James spent more time in his room, though this didn't hide him from Michelle. Emma's room was next door and he could hear them playing happily. He appreciated his parents being patient with him. He knew that hiding from Michael, or Michelle as he now liked to be referred to, had to end soon. Just before the New Year, he decided it was time to meet Michelle.

Michael was dressed and sitting in the living room with Emma. It was in the evening so John was there too. No one was expecting James to enter, but upon his arrival, they turned and looked at him.

James looked over and noticed Michael wearing a pretty white dress. He walked closer and Michael stood up.

“So, this is what you look like.” said James with difficulty. “You like it this way?”

“Yes. I'm happier this way.” said Michael.

John and Liz watched on, deciding not to intervene. This was between Michael and James.

“You want to be a girl forever?” said James, swallowing hard.

“Yes, I do.” said Michael.

“I'm going to miss you bro!” said James, tears now appearing. He went over to hug Michael. “I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry about how I've treated you!”

“I just want you to like me.” said Michael. “I only want to be your sister.”

“You can be my sister.” replied James. “But I'm still going to miss you.”

“Thank you bro. This means a lot to me.” replied Michael.

With James now accepting of Michael/Michelle, John decided to fill him in on the do's and don'ts when they returned to school in just over a week.

“I'll have to write a letter I suppose, to the headmaster and inform him firstly that Michael has been the victim of a horrid trick.” said John. “And for now, avoid explaining this.”

For extra advice on Michael's case, there was only one person who could help: Sally. She had been helping Jessica and she would certainly help Michelle.

“Hi sis.” said John. “Just wondering if you could be of any help.”

“Hi bro. I guess you want help for Michael?” replied Sally. “I have been thinking of him.”

“I'm just wondering if there is a gender clinic near us.” said John. “With Liz's pregnancy now halfway, she won't be able to go far.”

“Ok, I'll check it out for you. As far as I know, Jessica goes to a clinic near Manchester.” said Sally. “Thankfully, she only goes every 6 months.”

“Manchester is a little too far for us.” said John. “I suppose it's too much to ask for you to help.”

“You know I would if I could, but the distance.” said Sally. “I'll try and find another one, hopefully closer to you.”

“Thanks sis. If I need anything more, I'll ask.” said John.

“Always ready to help.” said Sally.

* * *

Before the Christmas holiday ended, Liz was determined to get Michael some new clothes, including a pair of shoes. With John and James attending a football match, Liz headed off to town with Michael and Emma. Michael was disappointed that he couldn't go as Michelle. Emma was disappointed too.

However, Liz wasn't put off by the prospect of buying girls shoes for a boy. In fact, she had an idea to fool the store assistants: she was going to buy the shoes for Emma.

So, upon arriving at the shoe store, Emma and Michael went to look at the girls shoes. Emma's feet were one size bigger than Michael's, but this wasn't a problem. Michael's feet were likely to grow in the next few months anyway, so getting a size too big might be better. In fact, the children had always been bought shoes that were one or two sizes too big. Their feet did grow fast, so buying for their present size was a bad idea – they could out grow the shoes in a few months.

Liz joined them moments later and asked them what they liked. An assistant noticed them and came over.

“Can I help you madam?” she asked.

“Just come to get some shoes for my daughter.” said Liz, pointing to Emma. “She's just making her mind up at the moment.”

“Ok, just let me know when she has.” said the assistant. She walked off to one side.

Michael was the one really choosing, but Emma was helping. Soon they picked a pair of white shoes and Liz called for the assistant.

“She would like these, please. Size 5.” said Liz.

The assistant took the one shoe and took it round the back.

“I hope you don't mind Emma trying them on?” asked Liz to Michael.

“Don't worry bro, you can wear them when we get back home.” said Emma.

Soon, the assistant was back with the display shoe and a pair of size 5's. As expected, Emma was asked to try them on. Michael couldn't help but feel a tad jealous at seeing Emma wearing what would soon be his shoes.

Soon, the shoes were back in their box and being paid for by Liz. Next came the clothes. Once again, Emma was slightly bigger, but she was the size guide once more.

Michael was in heaven as he looked at the girls clothes, knowing that he would be getting some of his own. He was so caught up in looking at the clothes with Emma that the shop assistant seemed to overhear what the siblings were on about. Even with his boy clothes, his long hair gave the assistant the impression that she was watching two girls.

“Can I help you?” asked the assistant.

“Just buying clothes for my daughter.” said Liz.

“Which one?” asked the assistant innocently.

“The one in the dress of course.” said Liz. “The other is my son.”

“Oh, I'm so sorry. But the long hair, plus the way they are talking about clothes, I thought they were sisters.” said the assistant.

“They always discuss clothes.” said Liz.

“For each other?” asked the assistant.

Liz looked at the assistant with concern. The assistant knew she had crossed a line and apologised.

“I'm sorry. I just overheard them.” she said.

“To be honest, my son wants to be a girl.” said Liz. “I'm buying the clothes for him.”

“Oh, I see. If you need help, just ask. I won't say a thing.” said the assistant.

Liz just smiled and went over to the children.

“I want this dress, mommy.” said Michael.

“Ok, I'll just find the right size for you.” she replied.

After a short while, Liz took two dresses, a t-shirt and some shorts to the counter. The assistant made the sale and looked at Michael with a smile.

“If you want to dress him now, you can.” she said. “I won't say a word.”

“You sure?” asked Liz. “I don't want him being made an object to be stared at.”

“Yes, but I promise not to say anything.” said the assistant. “For me, this is just custom.”

Liz turned to Michael and whispered in his ear. His face lit up with a big smile. Liz then led him to a changing room. A short while later, Michelle left it, wearing one of the dresses and the new shoes.

Emma went up to her brother and gave him a hug. The assistant looked on in wonder at the sight.

“Your son really does look like a girl.” she said.

“Thanks.” said Liz. “He likes to behave like one too.”

“If you come here again, just ask for me. My name's Claire.” said the assistant.

There were more customers coming in and browsing, so Liz looked at her children and told them that it was time to go.

The only thing left was to get a few hair items. Michael's hair was long enough for a small ponytail. Liz therefore got him some loops and a small scrunchie.

“Well, I've got two girls to look after now.” she smiled.

“My sister has come shopping!” said Emma.

“She has indeed.” smiled Liz.

On the way home, Michael was questioned about a major interest of his.

“So, if you are now going to have dolls and pretty dresses as your main interests, what about all your Ben 10 stuff?” asked Liz.

“I still like Ben 10.” said Michael.

“But it's a boys show.” said Liz.

“I like Gwen. She is my favourite character.” said Michael. “I want to be like her.”

“So, if you were invited to a fancy dress party, you would want to go as her?” asked Liz.

“Yes I would!” smiled Michael.

Emma was interested and asked about what Gwen was like. She had heard of her but never in detail, having never watched the show. Michael explained how in the original shows, she had short red hair, but in the sequel show, she had grown her hair out.

* * *

John and James left St James's Park with a bitter taste in their mouths. Newcastle had lost narrowly, but the winning goal for the opposition had been controversial.

James was not in the mood to discuss the match and moved on to another topic instead: Michael.

“So, what did that bully do to Michael exactly?” he asked his father.

“Made him believe that dressing as a girl, either by force or willingly, would result in utter humiliation. Now seeing that Michael wants to be a girl, this had an even bigger effect. You imagine wanting to do something so badly, but are then told you must never do it for fear of being hurt.” said John. “Michael was conflicted, because despite those fears, he wanted to be a girl.”

“But isn't it because no one likes a sissy?” asked James.

“A lot of people don't understand why some boys dress as girls. They also don't understand them because they don't share the same feelings.” said John.

“What do you mean?” asked James.

“You don't feel like a girl, or feel the need to be a girl, do you?” asked John.

“No, no I don't.” said James.

“Well, that's it. Just because you don't feel that way, it doesn't mean others can't.” said John.

“But people disagree with that.” said James.

“Many have never met a transsexual. They take the general view of society, whether it be through friends or family. As I see it, society doesn't recognise a person's right to be themselves, not fully any way. Society is selfish.” said John.

“I didn't think that was true.” said James.

“Society is complicated, full of double standards.” said John. “But all I ask of you is to respect Michael, or Michelle as he wants to be known. He is going to have plenty of problems ahead, even without society's hatred.”

“What problems will he have?” asked James.

“He will eventually need to live full time as a girl, and that means going to school as one. It will be a case of him being able to go places without being recognised as being a boy. It will mean, eventually of course, for him to tell his friends.”

“But he looked like a girl the other day.” said James.

“He is young and that is good. If you grew your hair out and wore a dress, you may well fool people into believing you are a girl.” said John. “Any way, lets get back home and have something to eat.”

They arrived home to find the others already back.

“Afternoon, how did the match go?” asked Liz.

“Lost 1-0. Man Utd had the ref in their pocket as usual.” said James.

“So, got some clothes for someone?” asked John.

“Yes. Her wardrobe has certainly begun.” said Liz. “Her hair looks nice too.”

Michael showed his ponytail, created with the scrunchy.

“Emma, do you want a baby sister now?” asked James. “Now that Michael wants to be a girl.”

“I suppose not, now.” said Emma. “I like my new sister.”

Michael just smiled. He was really happy now.

“You may get a new brother.” said Liz pointing to her belly. “But you won't find out until sometime in May.”

John continued to look at Michael and see how much he was enjoying his new life. Just like his cousin Jessica, there was likely to be a time when Michael would be desperate to go full time. He would however, have to be patient, just like Jessica.

Even James was seeing a difference, not at least Emma. Emma was becoming fond of Michelle and worryingly had started referring to Michael as Michelle even when he was dressed as a boy. She had to be reminded about this and often. She would certainly have to remember this when returning to school.

The day before school began, John spent some time at his computer. He was typing a letter on Michael's behalf, explaining the situation regarding the bullying and how Michael had been hurt mentally. With no immediate plans to send Michael to school as a girl, he refrained from explaining his son's desire to be a girl.

While he was printing the letter off, he decided to check his email. He had been checking often of late, not just for emails from work, but for one from Anne. She had yet to send him an email – till now. He opened the email and read it. He soon realised that someone else had been involved too, though he had no complaints.

Hi John

How are things in Newcastle? Things are ok here, snow is gone and the girls are getting ready for more school. I should imagine your children are too?

By the way, how is Michael? Is he getting any girl time and how are his brother and sister coping?

Hope you are well. Best wishes to Liz and her baby.

Anne Smith

PS. Sally says hi.

John smiled when he saw the PS at the end. He sent an immediate reply, promising to send photos of Michelle at the next opportunity. He also asked her if she wouldn't mind sending him photographs too.

The next opportunity for Michelle's photo debut would have to wait. Michael would be getting used to the hustle and bustle of another term at school.

* * *

Liz was becoming concerned about doing the school run. With her growing tummy, driving was becoming an impossibility. Walking was the only option for now, but even then, that would soon become unbearable. She knew that soon, she would have to find someone else to do the job of taking her three children to school.

For now, the children were told to get ready sooner, just to allow them to make the journey by foot.

“Now, just remember, there is to be no mention to anyone about Michael wanting to be a girl.” she told them on the way. “Now, James. I want you to take this letter to the headmaster. It is important.”

“Ok mom. But why can't Michael?” he replied.

“Never mind that. Just do it.” said Liz.

She then turned to Michael.

“Now, listen. I know that in your heart of hearts, you want to spend everyday from now on as a girl, but for now, you must be a boy at school. Now, just stay away from that bully.”

“Yes mom.” he replied.

“Ok, now enjoy your day.” she smiled, as they headed through the gates.

Emma walked alongside Michael all the way to the playground where they parted. She went and found her friends while he went looking for Robert.

“Hi Mike, have you got over your wacky behaviour yet?” asked Robert.

“Yes.” said Michael. “Girls are not scary. They're actually very nice.”

“Great. Had a nice Christmas?” he replied.

“A very good one.” smiled Michael. “How was yours?”

“Not bad. Got some nice presents but that was all.” said Robert.

Over in the Juniors, James had gone straight inside and headed to the headmaster's office. The offices were positioned along the main staff corridor which divided the infants from the juniors. While some of the teachers looked and asked him where he was going, he told them straight and was allowed to continue on his way. He didn't have to reach the office though to complete his errand.

“Mr Connor, I've got a letter for you from my dad.” said James as he met the headmaster in the corridor.

“Ok, thank you. I'll read it later.” he replied.

“Ok, thank you.” said James. With that, he went outside and awaited the bell.

Mr Connor did read the letter later that day and wasn't surprised to hear about Billy causing trouble. John Brook had agreed to visit him after school that day to talk to him further about the problem and he was willing to do this. John had put his mobile phone number on the letter too, so Mr Connor could get in touch with him at work.

For Michael, he was hoping that Robert didn't ask too many questions about his behaviour. For now, he just proved that he had stopped it by not running away from girls. Even during morning break, he passed by Emma and offered a friendly smile. She returned it, resulting in her getting peppered with questions by her friends.

The fact that Michael was no longer showing this fear of girls took a while to really sink in. Some pupils asked him why he had suddenly stopped acting like a fool. He merely told them that his parents had got through to him and that he was now glad.

Someone else noticed that Michael was no longer afraid of girls too, and he was not pleased in the slightest. Billy had gone back to watching Michael in the hope that his trickery was still working. When it was becoming clear that it wasn't, he decided to remind Michael. But he didn't.

Though Mr Connor was waiting to speak to John first, he had told the teachers to keep an eye on Billy, especially if he was seen close to Michael Brook. One of the teachers on duty had noticed him and was now approaching him.

“Oi, Michael! I thought I told you that girls were dangerous?” said Billy as he got close to Michael.

“You lied! They are not dangerous.” said Michael.

“Bill Morton!” came the teacher's voice. “Touch young Michael and you'll be outside Mr Connor's office.”

“I haven't even touched him!” said Billy.

“It doesn't matter. Mr Connor doesn't want you near Michael Brook at all.” said the teacher

Billy gave Michael a dirty look and then gave the teacher one too. He then turned and left, his cronies following. The teacher stayed and made sure he did get far away.

Robert turned to Michael as the teacher left.

“You told on him! Well done you! He won't be bothering us now.” he said, his joy apparent.

“My dad wrote a letter to Mr Connor instead. Billy was the one who told me that girls were scary.” said Michael.

“Michael, you were an utter idiot to believe him, but we've got him beat.” said Robert.

Billy had indeed kept his distance, his pride deflated. His desire for payback was dented when he noticed that the teacher was still monitoring him.

After school, Michael and Emma were met by Liz who had decided to come into the building.

“Just wait here. Your dad should be here soon.” she told them.

They sat in the entrance hall and awaited his arrival. James noticed them and joined them.

“He shouldn't be too long.” said Liz. “Didn't have any problems?”

“Billy tried to cause trouble but a teacher stopped him.” said Michael.

By the time John arrived, most of the pupils and teachers had gone home. By now, Mr Connor had been waiting patiently.

“Sorry I've been so long.” said John. “Had a bit of traffic.”

“No problem, Mr Brook. Care to come with me, Michael too.” said Mr Connor.

* * *

The others waited in the entrance hall while John and Michael went to see Mr Connor in his office.

“Sit down.” he told both of them. “Now then. You've told me in this letter that Michael is being bullied by Billy Morton.”

“Yes.” said John. “In the weeks just prior to Christmas, Michael had been acting strange around girls. We've only recently learnt why.”

“And why was that?” asked Mr Connor.

“Billy told me that girls were dangerous, that they would make me wear their clothes.” said Michael.

John looked to Michael, wondering if that last part should have been said.

“And you believed him?” asked Mr Connor.

“Yes.” said Michael.

“So, you don't want to wear girls clothes? Sounds perfectly normal there.” said Mr Connor.

Michael felt uncomfortable at that last statement. Mr Connor continued however.

“I have given out instructions that should Billy confront your son, he will be brought to me.” he added. “But surely, there is something else?”

“Something else?” asked John.

“Why would Billy say such a thing unless he knew that it would cause Michael such distress?” asked Mr Connor. “His long hair, for instance?”

“Michael likes his hair long and I don't see reason against it.” said John. “But some people see otherwise. It is obvious that Billy is one of those and decided that the best way to make my son conform was to tell him that looking like a girl is bad.”

“I see.” said Mr Connor. “So Michael, are you still afraid of being dressed as a girl?”

“No sir.” said Michael.

“Ok, let me put you straight.” said John. “The reason why this bullying affected him so badly is because he wants to be a girl.”

Mr Connor looked at John with disbelief. “You're not serious?”

“I am serious. Michael came out over Christmas.” said John.

“And I suppose you wish him to come here dressed as a girl?” asked Mr Connor.

“If need be. I am fully behind his decision.” said John. He sensed opposition in Mr Connor's expression.

“You want him to become a girl?”

“I don't want him to, it is his decision and I stand by it. I'm prepared to help him in any way I can.” said John.

Mr Connor thought this through. “When were you thinking of bringing him here as a girl?”

“It depends on whether you allow it.” said John.

“That is yet to be decided.” said Mr Connor. “This was meant to be about your son being bullied. Now it is about his sex.”

“It is about him being bullied. There is a boy in your school who has caused my son considerable mental discomfort through taunting and lie telling, added to by his desire to be a girl.” said John.

“Aside from the bullying, you are telling me that you plan to bring Michael to school wearing a girl's uniform.” said Mr Connor.

“Yes, and what about it?” asked John.

“Are you not concerned about him being found out?” asked Mr Connor. “You know what the press are like.”

“There is that chance. I don't deny it.” said John. “But isn't that up to us to try and prevent?”

“Yes, but he still could be exposed though!” said Mr Connor.

John was getting the impression that Mr Connor was more concerned with the bad publicity that would come his way if a trans-child was studying at his school.

“I'm hoping to get Michael seen by a counsellor, someone who understands people like him. They will insist he attends school as a girl. I will consider another school if you don't offer him support.” replied John.

“I'm just thinking about this school.” said Mr Connor, confirming John's suspisions.

“Surely then, every pupil here has the right to have their personal details kept confidential?”

“Yes.” said Mr Connor.

“Then my son is no different.” said John. “He will be required to attend school as a girl. I hope you've thought more about it by then.”

John had nothing more to say. He got up, took Michael by the hand and prepared to leave.

“Bye then, Mr Brook.” said Mr Connor.

John didn't answer, and just left.

The rest of the family were waiting for them in the entrance hall.

“Everything ok?” asked Liz.

“No.” said John. “That headmaster is more concerned over the headlines. I'll explain all when we get home.

So, when they got home, he explained it to Liz.

“He's afraid of a backlash if it gets out that a transgendered child is attending his school.” said John.

“I thought this was just about the bullying?” asked Liz.

“It was, but he started probing further.” said John. “I told him just to shut him up.”

“So, what are we going to do?” asked Liz.

“Until Michael sees a specialist, not a lot.” said John. “But if this head refuses to let Michael attend as a girl, we'll have no choice but to transfer him to another school.”

up
188 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Michelle comes out!

giggles. Its the start of an interesting journey for her ...

DogSig.png

Personally, I would yank

Personally, I would yank Michelle and her sister Emma and maybe even James as well. I would so on the basis that if Michael/Michelle is gone, yet everyone knows about her, then the logic is that Emma and James would the next available targets for those who wish to cause harm, either physically or mentally to them just because of their new sister. I hope Sally can really help out in this matter and give John and Liz directions to an excellent attorney/s. Looks like they will need one or two with the way the 'Head" is sounding.