Jessica's Story - Part 11

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story - Part 11

Christmas continues with the girls having their friends over for Boxing Day, though they are asked to avoid mentioning Michael/Michelle. The new year begins with Anne opting to make a proposal rather than a resolution, when it appears that her relationship is going to be accepted.

Jessica's Story – Part 11

Boxing Day was to be just as busy as Christmas Day had been. It had been arranged for Rachel, Lisa and Kelly to spend the day with the Smiths. As for Sandra and Jessica, there was still one thing on their minds when they awoke that morning.

“I can't believe we have another boy in the family who wants to be a girl.” said Sandra. “He was already doing the right thing by having his hair long.”

Jessica didn't answer. She was busy giving her baby doll some “breakfast”, which meant another “bottle feed”. She had taken to her new doll well and had already decided on a name: Emily. Sandra had also named hers too: Sally. Jessica had contested this but Sandra was unmoved. Aunt Sally was the inspiration and that was that.

“So, ready to have your friends around?” asked Anne as they arrived in the kitchen for their breakfast.

“Yes, but I can't stop thinking about yesterday.” said Sandra. “There is another boy like Jessica in our family.”

“Yes, that's how it appears.” said Anne. “I'm sure he'll be fine though. Still got your doll with you?”

Jessica had brought Emily downstairs and had her seated on her lap.

“I really like her and I like being her mommy.” said Jessica. “I want to be a real mommy when I'm older.”

Anne smiled but couldn't help feel for Jessica upon that remark.

“I think you'll make a wonderful mommy.” said Anne. “Don't you think so, Helen?”

Helen had just come down and was now making herself a cup of coffee.

“Yes, Jessica will make a wonderful mother.” she said.

After breakfast, Anne went to the living room and started to tidy it up a bit. Helen helped her while the children were sent upstairs to play.

“I'm worried about what Jessica said just a few minutes ago.” said Anne. “She cannot become a mother, not by natural means.”

“I know.” said Helen. “We mustn't let her know now.”

After tidying the room, they set about the main job in hand: the washing up from yesterday. With the two of them working away, it didn't take too long. It wasn't long before Sally showed up and she brought up the topic of Michael again.

“I can't help but feel sorry for him.” she said. “Is there something going on in this family?”

“If the newspapers got wind of it, they would certainly think so.” said Anne. “But I don't want this family to made into a circus freak show.”

“John would think likewise.” said Helen. “Anyway Sally, you don't mind more youngsters in your midst?”

“More? What other family have we got visiting?” asked Sally.

“School friends.” said Anne. “But if anything, you can help look after Edward. I wouldn't stand in his way if he decides to join the fairer sex, but until then, he's a boy.”

“Ok, maybe I can get him started on books.” said Sally.

The group of friends were arriving around midday and would be spending most of the afternoon with them. Anne was already wondering how to serve turkey to them once more, though she did have an idea.

“So, what are you planning for dinner?” asked Sally as she noticed Anne removing as much meat as she could from the turkey.

“Cook it in white sauce and serve with mashed potatoes. I'd put peas in it but Sandra doesn't like them.” replied Anne. “I'm serving it with chips and tinned spaghetti.”

Midday soon approached and the girls were soon being told to get ready. They had decided to go less formal, but on Anne's insistance, wore dresses. They sat downstairs in the living room while they waited, their dolls on their laps.

* * *

The friends arrived almost all together, for as soon as one had arrived, another was just arriving at the door. Soon, Kelly, Rachel and Lisa were sitting in the living room and exchanging accounts of what had happened on Christmas Day. They had all decided to bring some of their presents with them to show off. They all happened to be wearing presents too, as they had all got new clothes too, yesterday.

Jessica and Sandra had been told to avoid talk about their cousin Michael altogether. But still, they had loads to talk about and were soon introducing their friends to their new dolls.

“We'll take you to our room and show you our new dolls house later.” said Sandra, much to the delight of the others.

The only other introduction was of course to their Aunt Sally. Helen was already known to the girls and they simply said hello to her. They were of course just interested in playing and soon they got their chance to see the new dolls house.

The house had been brought up to their room earlier in the day and due to space, they were taking it in turns to play with it. But as there were 5 of them, one would have to sit it out. Sandra decided to watch from her bed as Lisa and Kelly were the first to play with it. Rachel sat with Jessica and got to know Emily a bit better.

“The way Jessica and Rachel get along, you'd think they were sisters.” said Kelly.

“They seem that way.” said Sandra. “But I'm her sister, not her!”

“Would you have her for a sister?” asked Kelly. Lisa was interested at this and started listening. Jessica and Rachel were not listening though.

“I don't know. She is a good friend.” said Sandra. “You all are.”

“It's because of their hair.” said Lisa. “They have that in common. They are girls who want to look like girls.”

Even Anne had noticed how close Rachel and Jessica had become. She too, put it down to their hair and their joint determination to be on a par with the others by having their's past their shoulders too.

Sally meanwhile, had indeed been busy reading books to Edward, trying to get him to read a few lines too. Having seen how John's children had been introduced to books early, she had decided to do the same for Edward. Anne had no complaints in the slightest. Helen was busy too, helping in the kitchen as Anne started on the dinner.

It was soon time for the children to come down and have their dinner. As they sat all around the table in the kitchen, they gave the adults a brief but descriptive description of their Christmas presents. Anne decided to tell them that their cousins from Newcastle had come to visit. Nothing was mentioned about Michael though, and nothing more was asked.

After dinner, the girls went back to the bedroom and Rachel and Jessica played with the dolls house while Sandra, Lisa and Kelly practised on each others hair.

While this was going on, Anne received a call from Julia.

“Hi sweetheart.” said Julia. “I have a proposition for you.”

“What would that be?” asked Anne, sounding interested.

“I was wondering if you want some company tonight?” asked Julia.

“I'm interested, but where?” asked Anne.

“Your place.” said Julia. “I have a sleeping bag that Kelly can use.”

“Ok, but wait till the other girls have gone.” said Anne. “See you later then.”

“Who was that?” asked Helen.

“Julia.” said Anne. “She wants to spend tonight here.”

“This is your girlfriend, isn't it?” asked Sally.

“Yes, it is.” said Anne. “She's bringing a sleeping bag along for Kelly.”

Helen was sceptical of this, but at least Julia would be here too for Kelly. Sally wasn't and was keen to meet the woman who had made Anne's sexuality meter do a complete swing. She let Helen take over looking after Edward and went to talk it over with Anne in the kitchen.

“So, what made you fall for another woman?” asked Sally.

“I don't know.” said Anne. “But I did. I fell for her before even knowing she was gay.”

“So, how did you know that she liked women?” asked Sally.

“I met her at the LGBT meeting. She has been gay all the time but tried to go straight for her parents. Her daughter is a result of that.”

“Her daughter is here now, isn't she?” asked Sally.

“Yes, Kelly. The one with the blonde curly hair.” said Anne. “Helen has been a bit offish about it, and the children still haven't got over the idea of gay kissing.”

“Oh.” said Sally. “Mom has been a bit stubborn at times. But as for the children, they'll come round. Let it be you who teaches them about homosexuality and not society.”

Soon, the time for the girls to go home arrived and Sandra and Jessica said goodbye to each of them as they left. They became a bit suspicious when Julia came into the house and sat in the living room.

* * *

“Kelly, I'm letting you stop the night here.” said Julia.

“What? Where are you going?” asked Kelly.

“I'm stopping here too.” said Julia.

Sally walked in to say hello, while Helen looked on.

“Hi, my name is Sally Brook, Anne's sister-in-law.” said Sally, offering her hand.

“Oh, are you the transgendered one?” asked Julia.

“Yes, I am.” said Sally. “Though I prefer to keep that information exclusive to close friends and family.”

“Oh, no fears, I won't tell anyone.” said Julia. “You do look very convincing though.”

Anne came in and noticed the discussion.

“Sorry, but I told her.” said Anne. “She is supportive of Jessica too.”

“No problem.” said Sally. “I'll just escort these girls upstairs for a while.”

Sally took the girls back to their room while Julia sat down. Helen just seemed to be ignoring her.

“Would you like a drink?” asked Anne to Julia.

“Yes please.” said Julia. “I've got the sleeping bag here.”

She showed Anne a large carrier bag that was clearly bulging with the shape of a rolled up sleeping bag.

Sally was still with the girls upstairs and she got word of what they thought.

“Mommy just wants to kiss her more.” sighed Sandra. “That's all she does.”

“If your moms are in love with each other, then that is that.” said Sally. “To be in love is a wonderful thing. It is when you like someone very much.”

“But we like each other a lot, but we're not in love.” said Kelly.

“It means to care about them a lot.” said Sally. “Surely, your moms have told you how much they love you?”

“Yes, but they don't do all the kissy stuff.” said Jessica.

“Like kissing you on the forehead before you go to bed?” smiled Sally.

“Not that way, on the mouth way.” said Sandra.

“Listen girls, there is nothing wrong with kissing. When you are older, you'll understand.” said Sally.

“But not two mommies.” said Kelly.

“There is nothing wrong with two women kissing, well I don't think so.” said Sally. “I used to have a girlfriend. I kissed her a lot.”

“You like kissing other women?” asked Jessica.

“I do. But I have kissed men as well.” said Sally. “But if anything, please feel happy for your moms. Now I have to be going soon. See you soon.”

She returned to the living room where the adults were now sitting with cups of tea in hand. Though Helen was tolerating Julia's presence, it was clearly not without discomfort. Anne and Julia could see it, as could Sally.

“Well, I'll be off. Back at work tomorrow.” said Sally. “Nice to have met you Julia. Bye all.”

Anne went to the front door to see her off.

“Mom can be awkward at times. I know she is the oldest person in the house, but you are the head. If you want Julia, then make it clear. Don't let mom stand in the way.” said Sally.

“I won't.” said Anne. “I've already had one night with her and I don't ever regret it.”

“The only true romance I ever had was with another woman.” said Sally. “And I really do miss her.”

“What happened?” asked Anne.

“We were together before I returned to my family. We lost contact and it's been nearly 10 years since I last met her. She helped me become the woman I am today.” said Sally.

“You really did love her?” asked Anne, noticing the sadness in Sally's voice.

“I still do.” said Sally.

* * *

Anne went to the kitchen to start on the washing up. She thought about Sally's words and her relationship with Julia. She just couldn't figure why Helen had become so offish about Julia. But that aside, she was sleeping with Julia tonight, regardless to what Helen thought.

Julia decided to come to the kitchen and sat at the table.

“Your mother doesn't appear to like me?” she said.

“To be honest, it's not her opinion. The house is in my name, not hers.” said Anne. “It's my life to choose and I want you in it.”

After drying her hands, she went over to Julia and put her lips to hers.

“I want to take this relationship further.” said Anne.

“Me too.” said Julia.

“Sorry to disturb you, but Edward has mucked his pants.” said Helen, arriving with Edward in her arms.

“Can't you do it?” said Anne. “You've done it before.”

There was no doubt that Anne believed Helen's entrance was timed deliberately to stop them from kissing.

“I'll do it.” said Julia. “It's obvious you two need to talk.”

Julia took Edward and carried him off to the bathroom. Anne just looked at Helen with venom.

“Helen, what are you playing at?!” asked Anne. “I'm in a relationship with Julia as you know, and I'm in no mood for opposition.”

“Shouldn't you be putting the children first?” asked Helen.

“The children are not being forgotten!” said Anne. “It's you! I don't understand you. You're perfectly accepting of a transgendered daughter and two transgendered grandchildren, but you take offense to your daughter-in-law becoming romantically involved with another woman? And in case you don't know, Sally has admitted to me that she is gay too.”

Helen looked small and remained silent for a moment.

“Does this mean you want me out of the house?” she replied at last.

“No, because you've been a huge help to me since the divorce. But I won't tolerate my choices in life being questioned unless there is good enough reason. The fact remains, I love Julia Brier!”

“I'm sorry Anne. I don't know what came over me.” said Helen. “I already know about Sally, but I was just thinking that the children were coming second.”

“Well, they're not.” said Anne. “I'm very fond of them, and I know Julia is too.”

Helen just smiled apologetically, before heading out the kitchen.

“Ok, well I'm going to start on some supper soon. Please go and tell the girls to come down please.” called Anne.

Helen acknowledged her and headed upstairs.

After a late supper in the kitchen, even the children were getting the idea that Anne and Julia were keen to be seeing a lot of each other from now on.

“Does this mean you want to get married?” asked Sandra.

“Would you like us to?” asked Anne.

“Would that mean Sandra and Jessica would be my sisters?” asked Kelly.

“I suppose it would.” said Julia.

The look on the faces of the three girls showed that this was a welcome piece of information. They certainly enjoyed each others company.

“And Sally told us to be happy for you.” said Jessica.

“That is nice of her.” said Anne. “I think we need to invite her around for babysitting from time to time.”

“She often comes round anyway.” said Helen.

After supper, Anne took the sleeping bag and put it into the girl's bedroom. Julia had also packed some pyjamas for Kelly along with it. Soon, the girls were called to bed.

“Goodnight girls.” said Anne. “See you in the morning.”

Once Edward was asleep and Helen had retired to her room, Anne went to her room and found Julia waiting for her.

“Ready to make wonderful love, my darling Anne?” asked Julia.

“With you? Any time.” smiled Anne.

Within minutes, they were lying on the bed making love. Anne couldn't remember being this much in love with someone. She certainly wanted Julia in her life.

The only snag was work. After a few days off to celebrate Christmas, Anne was back at work. The alarm clock was set and Anne certainly rued it's going off the next morning.

“That time already?” yawned Julia.

“Yes.” said Anne. “Time to start bringing home the bacon again.”

“Thank you for another wonderful night.” smiled Julia, giving Anne another kiss.

“I don't want it to be our last either.” said Anne.

She soon got dressed and headed downstairs, knocking on the childrens' doors as she went.

Julia stayed for a short while, watching as the children ate breakfast. Viewing them together made her smile. She wanted this in her life, to wake up each morning with a partner and have children to look after.

She kissed Anne once more, just as Anne was leaving for work. Then, after Kelly was ready to go, she said goodbye to Helen and the others and headed home.

* * *

That afternoon, Anne decided to phone John and see how things were going.

“Hi John. Everything ok?” she asked.

“If you mean Michael, things are ok.” said John. “For now, we're just letting him play with his sister. His brother is taking it hard, but we're not rushing him.”

“So, he is enjoying it?” asked Anne.

“Very well. It's just when school starts again. He knows he must be a boy for then, but he'll want to be a girl at home.” said John. “Oh, something else I want to mention: Emma heard about your daughters having a princess themed party. She has stated her interest but it depends on the date.”

“Well, we do the party on the weekend nearest the birthdays, unless one is on the weekend. You're welcome to come if you can.” said Anne.

“We'll try. Just let us know whenever possible.” said John. “Mom ok?”

“She's fine, as is Sally. I think she deserves kids of her own.”

“If anyone deserves to be a mother, it's her.” said John. “Thanks for calling. Bye.”

“Bye.” said Anne.

With her back at work, Anne left the care of the kids during the day in Helen's hands. She did have New Years Day off and was wondering whether to let the children stay up till midnight just to welcome the new year in. They had never been allowed to before.

Sally continued to visit when ever possible, and the girls found her great company due to her willingness to join in their games. Helen put it down to her wanting to catch up on the childhood she never had. Anne was interested to press Sally on another subject though.

“Have you ever been in love since you broke up with your last girlfriend?” asked Anne.

“No, I haven't.” said Sally. “I couldn't.”

“She obviously meant a lot to you?” asked Anne.

“This was a friendship I truly valued. Carol saved my life and put me back on track. She helped me become the woman I am today. She did a lot for me, and we fell in love. It was all she asked for in return for her help. We would have been still together had it not been for me coming back home to see my dad. I did return to find her but she was gone. I lost contact with her.”

“You want her back in your life, don't you?” said Anne.

“I wouldn't hesitate to ask her.” said Sally. “But what if she has got another girlfriend?”

“Don't think that. Try to believe that she is thinking about you.” said Anne.

“It's been too long.” sighed Sally. “I might as well give up.”

“Don't. If anyone deserves a break, it's you.” said Anne.

“I've had my break in life. Becoming me, getting the love and respect from my family back. Life is great for me now.” said Sally. “How are you and Julia getting on?”

“I'm hoping to spend more time with her. Might go to a gay club with her, just get to know her a bit more.” said Anne. “I'm seriously considering asking her to marry me.”

“You have it bad.” smiled Sally. “If you do propose, I'll be more than happy to be there for you on your big day.”

“I wouldn't hesistate in asking you.” smiled Anne. “Been in touch with John lately?”

“No, just been busy of late. The store does a stock take at the end of the year and that takes a day or two. It's just been busy with Christmas.” said Sally. “How is John then?”

Anne told her all she knew.

“I'll help him in any way I can, without coming out to his children.” said Sally. “Well, I'd better be going. If you want a list of gay bars, I know a few so just ask.”

The year was soon drawing to a close and Anne invited Julia to come over and join in the party. To help things further, she and Kelly would spend the night with them again.

The girls were starting to like the idea of having Kelly over more often. The thought of having her as a sister interested them even more.

“I think it would be good to spend a night out.” said Anne to Julia. “You know, just to get to know a bit more about each other.”

“I know how good you are in bed, so what's to know?” smiled Julia.

“Just talk about ourselves.” said Anne. “If we're to be serious, I think it only fair.”

“You're right.” said Julia. “Do you think our girls are becoming accepting of us?”

“They seem to be more taken in by the possibility of becoming related.” smiled Anne.

“Do they?” smiled Julia. “Do you want that?”

Anne said nothing, but smiled and put her finger to her lips.

The problem was of course keeping the children awake for the midnight celebrations. To help, they were instructed to sleep during the day for periods at a time. Edward didn't seem bothered and slept the whole way through. Seeing that he wasn't going to be awake, Anne carried him upstairs and put him to bed.

“As soon as you've seen in the new year, you can go to bed.” said Helen.

“Ok, but I feel sleepy already.” yawned Kelly.

“Well Jessica, this is the start of a new year. Your first whole year as a girl.” said Anne.

She gave Jessica a little squeeze and kissed her on the cheek.

“Any new year resolutions, Anne?” asked Julia.

“To continue helping this beautiful young girl on her journey.” said Anne, who had read Julia's mind and decided to say something else.

“What are resolutions?” asked Sandra.

“Oh, people make plans for the new year. They promise to do things but usually fail to do so, usually within the first few days.” said Anne.

“Ok, so I promise to grow my hair longer and keep it curly.” said Sandra.

“My promise is to be prettier than you.” said Jessica with a smile.

Sandra didn't agree with that.

“I can't think of anything.” sighed Kelly.

“You don't have to.” said Anne. “There is no rule saying you have to.”

They were watching the celebration on television. As always, London was the only place to have a celebration, or so the people in power thought. The countdown was started by the iconic chiming of Big Ben.

“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5..” started the adults in sync. They persuaded the girls to join in.

“4, 3, 2, 1. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!”

They stayed up to watch the firework display and then went to bed. Once again, Kelly used a sleeping bag placed between the beds of Jessica and Sandra. The girls had been discussing when Kelly would get a bed in their room. Anne and Julia had obviously caught some of this as they mentioned it before going to bed themselves.

“It appears plans for Kelly moving in are underway.” said Julia.

“I know. They really are close.” said Anne.

“Any plans for me to do likewise?” smiled Julia.

“Yes, but first, something has got to be done.” said Anne. “Julia Brier, would you be willing to share the wonderful burden of 2 extra girls, and make me truly happy, by accepting my hand in marriage?”

“Of course I will!” said Julia. They shared a passionate kiss to seal the deal, before proceeding to more intimate matters.

* * *

Later that morning, Anne and Julia arrived downstairs to find that they were the last ones up. The children were all having breakfast, courtesy of Helen. They looked over and saw the smiles on their faces.

“We have some news for you.” said Anne, her hand in Julia's. “We are to marry.”

“Anne asked me just before we went to bed.” said Julia.

“Congratulations.” said Helen. “I'm pleased for you.”

“Does this mean we can have Kelly as our sister?” asked Jessica.

“It does.” smiled Julia. She gave Anne another kiss, in front of everyone.

The girls winced slightly, but in light of previous times that they had seen their mothers kiss, this was nothing near as bad. It seemed that they were finally starting to get used to the sight.

“So, not a lot we can do today as it's a bank holiday.” said Anne. “We can go down to the park if you like.”

“Any more snow outside?” asked Kelly.

“I think it has nearly all gone.” said Helen.

The snow had started to thaw a few days ago. Even so, there were patches left in places. After breakfast, they put on their coats and gloves and made their way to the park.

“Now, when you go back to school, I don't want you telling anyone about us getting married, ok?” said Anne.

“Ok, but why?” asked Jessica.

“I've told you. There are people who don't like two women or even two men loving one another. Just like there are people who don't like you dressing as a girl.” said Anne.

“But I am a girl.” said Jessica.

“Some people just don't understand. It's complicated.” said Anne. “But I understand, everyone here understands, that you really are a girl.”

As they arrived at the park, they found the playground area quiet. There were people out taking their dogs for a walk, but it was quiet.

Clearing off the snow from the swings and slide, the girls had a small snowball fight. Eventually, there was no more readily available and they resorted to playing on the swings.

“Mind that you don't get your bums wet.” said Julia. She took some tissues from her handbag and wiped the seats as much as possible.

Anne and Julia then found themselves having to deal with 4 swings, switching from one to the other when the girls and Edward started to lose momentum.

“No wigs to worry about, this time?” smiled Julia.

“No. Jessica doesn't need one now.” said Anne, remembering the incident which had led to them becoming friends.

When the children decided to switch their attention to the slide, Anne and Julia sat on the nearby bench and watched them.

“It'll be fun watching them grow up.” said Julia. “They get on so well.”

“As for Jessica, her life is going to be difficult. Her friends will be developing breasts and wide hips, while she won't. Not until she turns 16.” said Anne.

“What about her own puberty?” asked Julia.

“She'll be given hormone blockers. They won't give her the body she desires, but they'll stop her getting the body she doesn't want.” said Anne.

“So, about us, when do you want us to marry?” asked Julia.

“Got to sort a few things out first.” said Anne. “Like you and Kelly moving in. You'll have to inform the DWP, I suppose?”

“Yes, as I'll be living with someone in employment.” said Julia. “That's something else, do you still get money from your ex?”

“I do.” said Anne. “I suppose once I marry you, the money will be stopped. But I should be ok without it. We're comfortable.”

“If you think I should get a job, I will.” said Julia. “I don't mind leaving Kelly at your house.”

“I'm sure Helen wouldn't mind either.” said Anne. “To be fair, she has been happier since coming to live with us. For a good many years, she has lived alone.”

“She's a widow?” asked Julia.

“Yes, her husband died just before I married Adam.” said Anne. “The children never knew their grandfather.”

They continued to watch as their children continued to enjoy the slide and roundabout.

“Your son is growing up quick now.” asked Julia.

“Starts school in September. I hope he gets some friends, as our house has a very strong womanly feel now.” said Anne.

“He needs a father figure, that's what you mean?” asked Julia.

“Yes. But he isn't, not now. Not now that I've got you.” said Anne. She took Julia's hand and squeezed it gently.

As they headed for home, Julia asked something that Anne thought was silly.

“Why don't you bring up Edward as a girl?” she asked.

“No, not against his choice. He is a boy and likes boys toys. Jessica was younger than Edward is now when she decided she was a girl.” said Anne. “Jessica is being brought up as a girl because she wants to. Edward is not showing any signs that point in the same direction.”

Upon arriving home, Anne prepared lunch for everyone before saying goodbye to Julia and Kelly.

* * *

Later that day, Anne happened to stumble upon the piece of paper that John had given her. It had his email address on and he had told her to use it when possible. Anne had used the internet of course, but she hadn't sent an email before. She took it upstairs and placed it by the computer.

“Helen, can I have a word with you please?” she asked, once she was back downstairs.

“Yes, what is it?” asked Helen.

“It sounds utterly stupid, but I mentioned the lack of males in this house and how it might effect Edward.” said Anne. “Now, Julia suggested we raise him as a girl. I disagreed at once, for he shows no signs of wanting to be a girl.”

“I agree with you on this, even though Sally would be your best council on this matter.” said Helen. “But as you said, he isn't showing any sign of being transgendered.”

“The next time he'll encounter any other males will be in September when he starts school.” said Anne. “I hope he makes friends and asks for them to come here.”

“Or that he gets invited to their houses instead.” said Helen. “The other thing is to spoil him a little, get involved in his interests.”

“Good idea.” said Anne.

Anne was now getting ready for the school run once more. School restarted on Monday and she was making sure that 2 uniforms were ready. She was given one bit of help when Julia agreed to do the school run for her.

“I can take the girls with Kelly.” she said. “Save you a problem.”

“Thank you, that will be a huge help.” said Anne.

Anne was still wondering when would be a good time for Julia to move in. If her daughters' friends continued to visit and Julia was seen living there, never mind Kelly, the word would soon get out.

For now, the plans were put to one side. Besides, the day before school began, Sally visited. Anne was pleased to see her as she had a few things to mention to her.

“You would be doing wrong by trying to raise Edward as a girl.” said Sally. “This would cause him to suffer from gender dysphoria. It happens enough with intersexed children.”

“You mean those with both sets of genitalia?” asked Anne.

“That is one example. But usually, their genitalia is under or over developed, making it hard to determine the child's true sex.” said Sally. “A girl can be mistaken for a boy if her clitoris is over developed. Mistaken for a penis, the child is raised as a boy and then the parents wonder why the child later wants to be a girl.”

“Surely they could do a blood test though.” asked Anne.

“It would be a perfect way to identify the sex, but they just look between the legs and decide there and then. Sometimes though, the intersexed condition isn't revealed until puberty.” said Sally. “Just imagine a boy starting to get hips and breasts.”

“But if the boy wants to be a girl, that would be a heaven sent gift.” said Anne.

“It would be.” said Sally. “But there are many types of intersex conditions, some involve a third sex chromosome.”

“You know quite a bit.” said Anne. “Spend all day on the internet?”

“Not all day, but yes, that is where I've learnt this.” said Sally.

“Right, now this moves me onto my next subject. Do you know anything about emails?” asked Anne.

“Sure. Let me guess, you want to set up an account?” asked Sally.

“I suppose so.” said Anne.

“Ok, take me to your computer and I'll show you how.” said Sally.

So, for the next half hour, Sally helped Anne set up an email account, followed by her first ever email.

“Ok, so you're sending it to my big bro in Newcastle.” said Sally. “Now, if you want to, you can send photos to him.”

“That would be great. I'm sure Jessica would want to show Michael how well she is getting on.” said Anne.

“Well, if you have a camera, I'll help you there too.” said Sally.

“I haven't yet, but when I do, I'll ask you to come round.” said Anne. “Now, I have something to tell you. I've proposed to Julia.”

“You did?! Now then, spill the beans. Did she say yes?” asked Sally, a tone of excitement in her voice.

“She did.” smiled Anne.

“Wonderful!” said Sally, giving Anne a hug. “Good on you! Remember, I'll help you whether you want me to or not.”

“I want you to, but don't start the planning just yet. We haven't chosen a date yet. Lots to do before then.” replied Anne.

“No problem.” said Sally. “Mom ok with it?”

“She's fine. Her anxiety was over the children. Thought I was putting them second.” said Anne.

“You can't be selfless all the time. I hope this works out for you.” said Sally.

“So, stopping for dinner?” asked Anne.

“I checked my freezer and it is low, so why not?” smiled Sally.

* * *

Sally stayed for dinner and once more brought up the topic of Anne's wedding to Julia.

“So, I presume you young ladies will be bridesmaids?” she asked Sandra and Jessica.

The girls just smiled.

“They will be wonderful bridesmaids. Find some pretty white dresses for them.” said Anne. “And then a smart little suit for our page boy.”

“Talking of dresses, we would like princess dresses for our party.” said Sandra. Jessica nodded in agreement.

“Still a few weeks to go for that. Plenty of time.” said Anne.

“Princesses and bridesmaids. You two will soon be experts in how to look pretty.” smiled Sally.

“They will do.” said Helen. “I imagine you want to come to their party?”

“Of course I'll come.” said Sally.

“Then I suggest you get a dress fit for a princess.” smiled Anne.

“I thought it was just the girls who were dressing up?” asked Sally.

“Big girls too.” smiled Helen. “But I'm too old to be a princess, so I for one won't be joining in.”

“If Anne is getting in on the act, I suggest she add some more length to her hair.” smiled Sally.

“Is that a request or a demand?” asked Anne.

“A request, backed up by those two over there.” said Sally pointing at the girls.

“Ok, you win. But not down to my bum, like you want it.” said Anne. “Your hair could do with some extra length too.”

“Ok, I will.” said Sally holding up her hands.

She later spent the last few hours of her visit playing with the girls, enjoying the games that she missed out on in her youth. The laughter that came from the room was proof enough that Sally had become a firm favourite with Sandra and Jessica.

“Shall I adopt her as a daughter?” asked Anne to Helen.

“Have we got room in the house?” smiled Helen.

“No. That's one thing I need to think about.” said Anne. “It might be wise to get a bunk bed just to get Kelly moved in.”

“You've got plenty of time yet. But that seems the best choice.” said Helen.

“Whatever happens, this is going to be one busy year.” said Anne.

up
110 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

loves in the air

It looks like Anne and Julia are getting together.

Wolf_0.jpg

It is really too bad that

It is really too bad that John and his family plus Sally live so far away from the rest of the family. Being closer together would be IMHO a blessing for all of them. especially in Michelle's and Jessica's case.
Michelle would get some really great girlfriends, those of Jessica's and Sandra's and the girls would be able to be around their cousins more often which would benefit James and Edward.

reply

That's totally true

Wolf_0.jpg