Jessica's Story - Part 14

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story – Part 14

Jessica and Sandra are looking forward to their joint birthday party, which is now just days away. Not only is Jessica set to celebrate her birthday as a girl for the first time, but they will have 2 of their cousins from up north joining them.

But while they await the day, they are given the opportunity to say hello to their soon-to-be aunt, Carol.

Anne has to begin the preparations for the party early, since she is joining Sally on a 500+ mile round train journey to collect Michael and Emma.

Jessica's Story - Part 14

It had been a week since Sally had announced her engagement to Carol, and from what Anne could tell, her sister-in-law looked happier than ever.

Anne herself was slowly letting on that she and Julia were also intending to marry. But so far, she had only told John. She was being cautious about who else to tell, not knowing what their stance on homosexuality was.

The same could be said for Jessica, and her journey to girlhood. Of all her friends' parents, only Julia knew, and for now, that situation wouldn't change.

One reason for that came one weekend, when she was invited over to Rachel's house for the afternoon. The main reason was for Edward to get some time with Charlie, Rachel's brother. Sandra and Jessica came over too, just to play with Rachel.

“I know what you mean about your son, Anne.” said Pam, Rachel's mom. “My son needed to mix with a few boys his own age. He will do in September.”

“Same with Edward.” said Anne. “Being in a house where there are no other men, we thought that he needed some more male influence in his life.”

“Of course. Not that it would, but too much female influence can be bad for a boy.” said Pam. “A lot of gay celebrities, they came from strong female families. Don't want my Charlie turning out like them.”

“No, of course not.” said Anne. She was wondering whether to tell Pam about her and Julia, but that was obviously no longer a safe thing to do. The way Pam had emphasised “them” told her a lot.

If Pam was homophobic, it could also mean she was transphobic too. Sally had explained how a lot of homophobes confused transsexuals and homosexuals, due to narrow minded views. This meant that Jessica's secret was certainly to remain such within this house.

While the girls played in Rachel's room, Edward and Charlie were playing together on the floor of the living room. They were getting along fine, even though Charlie preferred toy cars to toy trains.

In Rachel's room, the girls were discussing the upcoming birthday party.

“I've got a dress for the party.” said Rachel. “But you'll have to wait till the day to see it.”

“Same here.” said Sandra. “At least you and Jess have got long hair now.”

“Longish.” said Rachel. “It feels so much better though.”

“I can never understand why your mom liked your hair short.” said Jessica.

“I think I know now.” replied Rachel. “A few years ago, every woman wanted short hair. Looking at a few pictures, my mom had short hair too.”

“But her hair is long now.” said Sandra.

“Not too long though.” said Rachel. “But after seeing loads of girls with long hair, I knew I wanted my hair long too.”

“Well, it is getting long now.” said Jessica. “Just like mine.”

“I was right about you.” said Rachel. “Your hair is better than Sandra's.”

Sandra had reason to dislike Rachel at times, but it came as a result of her teasing Jessica about her hair. Rachel always came to Jessica's defense on the subject of long hair.

The subject came up downstairs too, as Pam commented on how Rachel was enjoying growing her hair.

“Your girls have been an influence.” said Pam. “Not that I mind, as Rachel does look nice with long hair.”

“Well, Jessica has been keen to grow her's out since giving up being a bit of a tomboy.” said Anne. “Which leads me to ask, why has Rachel had her hair short, even when she has wanted it long?”

“My fault.” said Pam. “During the early nineties, it became very fashionable for women to wear their hair short. All the women on telly did it, and I did it. I sort of became addicted to short styles and I suppose I went a bit too far and tried to get Rachel hooked on short hair too.”

“Well, she looks nice with it long.” said Anne. “What it will look like when they complete their goal.”

“Oh that.” smiled Pam. “Theres gonna be a group of girls with extremely long hair!”

“It's just a bit of fun.” said Anne. “At least it gives them a reason to learn haircare.”

When they eventually got back home, Anne turned to the girls and spoke to them.

“Jessica, I don't want you telling Rachel's mom that you are really a boy.”

“But I'm not a boy, I'm a girl.” said Jessica.

“I know sweetie, but it appears that Rachel's mom is like your dad.” said Anne.

“But she seems nice.” said Jessica.

“Because she doesn't know.” said Anne.

“So, how do you know, mommy?” asked Sandra.

“She doesn't like gays. She doesn't like mommies who kiss other mommies.” said Anne. “She just happened to mention it.”

“But that isn't about boys who want to be girls.” said Jessica.

“Most people who don't like the one, don't like the other as well.” said Anne. “Now, I'll do you some jam on toast for supper and then you can go to bed.”

After giving the children their supper, Anne sat down and talked with Helen.

“What was all that about?” asked Helen. “You suggesting Rachel's mom is homophobic?”

“I know she is.” said Anne. “After she told me that boys become gay when exposed to a large female influence.”

“Where did she come to that conclusion?” asked Helen.

“Apparently some gay celebs were brought up in households which were dominated by women.” said Anne. “This apparently leads them to become effeminate.”

“So, she would therefore believe that a boy raised by a lesbian couple would start fancying men?”asked Helen. “I'm not saying that it couldn't, but I'm sure it's not always the case.”

“I think she's being narrow minded too.” agreed Anne. “I think she may be transphobic too.”

“You may be right there.” said Helen.

* * *

At school, Rachel was unaware of the concerns about her mother. Jessica and Sandra had been told not to mention the subject to her. All talk therefore was all about the long awaited princess themed birthday party.

“Well, we are going to have plenty of princesses at this party.” said Jessica. “We've got 2 of our cousins coming to visit.”

“Those ones you told us about?” asked Lisa.

“The same ones.” said Jessica.

“But does that mean we'll be seeing the other boy? You know, the one like you?” asked Rachel, in a whisper.

“Yes.” said Jessica, in an equally low voice. “From what I've heard, he is looking forward to coming too!”

Lisa, Kelly and Rachel were all a bit excited by the thought of another boy in girls clothes. They did drop the subject for now. It would only come up again when they visited the Smiths the following weekend.

“I hear that your cousins are coming to the party.” said Lisa to Anne,as they sat down to dinner in the kitchen.

“Well, they're my nieces.” said Anne. “They're cousins to Edward, Jessica and Sandra.”

“But one is a boy.” said Rachel.

Anne looked at Rachel, then at Jessica and Sandra.

“They know?” she said.

“I kinda told them.” said Jessica. “But they're ok about it.”

Lisa and Rachel both nodded in agreement.

“Look, I appreciate that you'll treat this boy with the same respect you show towards Jessica, but I ask you not to make a fuss over him. He will be for all purposes of this party, a girl, and will like to be treated as one.” added Anne.

“So, he does want to be a girl, just like Jessica?” asked Lisa.

“He does indeed. But no mention of this to anyone, understand?” said Anne.

“We understand.” said Lisa, Rachel and Kelly together.

Anne decided to get Rachel to herself before Pam came to collect her.

“Rachel. Does your mom dislike any sort of people?” she asked her.

“What do you mean?” asked Rachel.

“Is there anyone who appears on the telly that she doesn't like?” said Anne.

“A few. Graham Norton is one. She says he is vulgar.” said Rachel.

That didn't quite answer Anne's theory. She knew that Graham Norton was gay, but vulgar could be aimed at the comments he sometimes made, both on and off air.

“Does she say anything else about him?” asked Anne.

“That he is a puff.” said Rachel.

“I see. Is there anyone else she calls poofs?”

“A few. They are all weirdly dressed men.” said Rachel.

Anne could think of only one answer to that: men who dressed effeminately.

“Men who dress like women?” asked Anne.

“Sort of.” said Rachel. “But what is this about?”

“She doesn't like men who dress as women. What about boys who dress like girls?” said Anne.

Rachel understood.

“She might not like Jessica?” she replied.

“Only if she found out.” said Anne. “You must never tell her.”

“I promised never to tell her anyway.” said Rachel. “Jessica is my friend and I never want to see her get hurt.”

“Thank you Rachel” said Anne.

“But what made you ask?” said Rachel.

“She mentioned these people to me the other day when we visited your house.” said Anne.

“I promise I'll never tell. Jessica is a girl like the rest of us.” said Rachel.

* * *

As the day of the party drew nearer, Anne was keen to buy a couple of presents for the day. Jessica would be 7 while Sandra would be 9. As was the usual case, Jessica would be celebrating her birthday late, while Sandra would be celebrating early.

“I've no idea what to get them though.” said Anne to Helen one evening. “For Jessica, this party means so much more. It's her first party as a girl.”

“What did you do last year?” asked Helen.

“We took them to the safari park.” replied Anne. “I suppose we could go to the cinema.”

“And buy them presents?” asked Helen.

“I guess. I suppose Jessica would love a new dress. Sandra will likely want the same.” said Anne.

“Good idea.” said Helen. “I should imagine Jessica has quite a wardrobe now?”

“She has more clothes now than she ever did as a boy.” said Anne, not wanting to mention Jessica's original name.

“But as for a trip to the cinema, that is a good idea.” said Helen. “We'll all go, seeing that we have a few girls to look after.”

“Just got to be careful of Jessica and Michelle. You know what I mean – using public toilets.” said Anne.

“We can always go in with them.” said Helen. “Jessica always uses the ladies now.”

Sally had mentioned the party to Carol, but was slightly disappointed when she decided to not go herself.

“I'm not yet well established as a member of your family yet. You go by all means.” she told Sally.

“You will be. I'm not leaving them for the world. I adore my nephews and nieces, and I want them in my life.”

“I know you do.” said Carol. “It's just not time for me yet.”

“Carol, my love. You've said before that you wanted a family. This is the best way to get to know what it's like. If I had the parts, I wouldn't hesitate in trying to be a mother.” said Sally. “I was so convinced that we would be together, that I saved some of my sperm while I had the chance.”

“You never told me about that!” said Carol.

“You could have our child.” said Sally. “We can have a family if you want.”

Carol thought about it. She had still hoped for a family of her own, even after discovering her sexuality. She had always considered adoption as the only option. Sally had just opened another door.

“Is the sperm ok? I mean, it would work?” asked Carol.

“I donated it not long after reuniting with my family. I had to go off the testosterone blockers for a short while to do it, but the sperm bank seemed satisfied.” explained Sally.

“You were banking on me coming back? Oh, I knew going to London was a mistake. I never wanted to leave you.” sighed Carol.

“But you did come back.” said Sally. “We are together again, and we are staying together this time.”

Carol looked into Sally's eyes and soon their lips met.

“When can we do it, the IVF?” asked Carol.

“Can we get married first?” asked Sally.

Carol just smiled and started kissing her again. Sally broke off a few minutes later though.

“What is it?” asked Carol.

“Do you still want to go to my nieces' birthday party?” asked Sally.

“Do you need a costume?” asked Carol.

“If you wish. I'm just going for something formal. The girls are going fairy tale style.” said Sally.

“I might go after all. I need to see why you are so keen on these children.” smiled Carol.

* * *

Anne was as always stuck for time concerning shopping. Her job meant that during the week was a definite no, leaving only weekends. It was on a weekend that Anne went out with Helen to get Sandra and Jessica their birthday presents. But first, they needed to take care of the children. This was where Julia came in. She came round with Kelly and did the necessary babysitting duties.

Sandra and Jessica, as well as waiting for their joint celebration, were also eager to see how Michael, or Michelle was getting along. They tried to pester Anne into sending emails asking for more photos. It did require them to send photos too, which they did. It was the photos they got back which surprised them.

“Michelle has got longer hair than me!” said Jessica. “How did it grow so quick?!”

“It pays to read the email too.” said Anne. “Your cousin now has a wig, and she wears it all the time outside school.”

“Oh bother. Why did I give up mine?” said Jessica.

“You gave it up when your hair started getting longer.” said Anne. “And in the time since then, it is much longer.”

“Still, she looks very pretty.” said Sandra. “Just like her sister.”

The only thing they were not shown, were the dresses that Michael and Emma would be wearing to the party.

“And even better for Michael is that the bully who tormented him has been expelled.” said Anne, continuing to read the email.

“Expelled?” asked Jessica.

“It means he has been kicked out of school.” said Sandra.

“Yes.” said Anne. “And good riddens.”

“I wonder how big the boot was?” asked Jessica.

Anne and Sandra looked at her with puzzled looks.

“To kick him out with.” said Jessica. “It would have been good to see him getting kicked up the bum.”

“I don't think he was kicked out literally. I imagine they told him never to come back.” said Anne.

She went back to reading the email through again as the girls once again studied the photo of their cousins.

“And so, your cousins are eager to come to your party. Michael, or should I say Michelle, especially.” finished Anne.

Anne decided to send a return email with confirmation on the plans for fetching Emma and Michael from Newcastle.

“Make sure that Emma and Michael are ready for when we arrive. Our return train is due to leave 1 and half hours after our arrival.” wrote Anne as she typed it out. “We'll be making the trip to and from your house by taxi.”

She quickly finished it and clicked on send. She then got up and headed downstairs.

“Girls. Come and see what you want for dinner.” she called.

The girls had only just gone to their room. They were soon heading downstairs with Anne to see what was on offer in the freezer.

After dinner, Jessica brought up the subject of hair again.

“Why do other girls have to have longer hair than me?” she sighed.

“Michael wears a wig.” said Anne. “Just like you did while you were at school. But as I said, your hair is getting long now.”

“And don't forget Rachel. Her hair is roughly the same length as yours.” said Sandra.

Jessica ran her fingers through her curly hair. Rachel's was slightly longer, but that was due to her hair being straight. Jessica's hair was certainly prettier with its curls though, and brushing helped make the curls looser.

Concerning the pact to grow their hair down to their bums, Sandra was facing an obstacle in her mission – her curls. She was keen to keep her hair curly, but as her hair needed putting in curlers on a regular basis, it was faced with opposition from Anne, who was aware that the hairdressing bill would increase as her hair grew longer.

This at least pleased Jessica who knew that her sister was jealous of her natural curls.

* * *

As the day drew ever nearer, Anne found other things to think about. It was partially thanks to the girls too. They had decided that since it was to be a princess themed party, then the food and décor had to be based around that theme too.

So, the next time she went to do the shopping at the supermarket, she went looking for food to suit a princess. There was a birthday cake with Disney princesses on it, so that went in the shopping trolley. She also found some silver coloured paper plates that would do too.

But when it came down to most things, she decided that anything that was pink or white would do. She had decided to do some baking of her own, with biscuits and cup cakes top of the list.

“Ok, Neopolitan ice cream, large birthday cake, plain flour, icing sugar, food colouring, what else?” mused Anne to herself as she ventured round the supermarket.

She soon found something else.

“Biscuit cutters!” she exclaimed as she came to the aisle with kitchenware. “I knew I'd forgotten something.”

The only thing was when to do the baking. She would be out most of the day before the party, helping Sally collect Emma and Michael. It was simple, she would have to bake some of the items the day before and keep them in storage. She had always kept old sweet tins and biscuit tins from Christmas for such occasions.

With less than a week to go, Sally and Carol came round for a visit. Carol was keen to introduce herself to Anne's children formally.

“Anne, I've got you a few things for Saturday.” said Sally, presenting her with a shopping bag full of items.

Sandra and Jessica looked at the bag with interest, but Anne took the bag upstairs to her room before they could get a closer look.

When she arrived back in the living room, the girls looked disappointed.

“Can't you wait till Saturday?” she asked.

“But my birthday is tomorrow!” said Jessica.

“Ok, so you'll get your cards tomorrow, but you'll have to wait till Saturday for your presents.” said Anne.

“Ok, I just want to tell you, Anne and mom, that Carol and I intend to start a family once we've got married.” said Sally.

“Oh, that's wonderful.” said Helen.

“You planning on adopting?” asked Anne.

“No, as a matter of fact,” said Sally. “I managed to bank some sperm while I had the chance.”

“You did?” said Anne. “I didn't know.”

Jessica and Sandra were listening, but couldn't understand what they were talking about.

“Sandra, Jessica. Why don't you get some of your dollies to show Aunty Carol.” said Anne.

The girls looked at her and wondered.

“Yes, I'd like to see your dolls.” said Carol.

As the girls left on their errand, Anne turned to the others.

“I don't really want to talk about having children in front of them, Jessica especially.”

“Jessica wants to be a mother in the future.” added Sally. “But she doesn't know that she can't.”

“Oh, I see.” said Carol.

“So, I take it that Carol will be the mother of the children?” asked Anne.

“Obviously.” said Sally. “But if there was a way to put an egg inside me, I would do it.”

“Talking of babies, I should imagine Liz is getting close now?” asked Helen.

“She did say she was due in May.” said Sally.

“Who's Liz?” asked Carol.

“Your memory is like a sieve.” said Sally. “She's my other sister-in-law. She's 7 months pregnant.”

“Oh, of course, you told me.” said Carol. “Oh, here comes the doll collection.”

The girls had returned, with a number of dolls each.

* * *

Carol got another lesson in how to deal with children, or more to the point, how much children liked Sally. It appeared her secret was simple: she communicated with them on their level, and enjoyed playing with them.

“I've always seen it like this.” said Helen to Carol. “Sally is making up for the childhood she never had. I don't think there is any doubt that she could make a great mother.”

“You really make a point there.” said Carol. “When I first met her, she was in a right mental state. There is no doubt at all that she is a woman, and I love her tremendously.”

They were talking in the kitchen, whilst Sally was with Anne and the children in the front room.

“After what you did for her, I have no objection in your engagement. If you wish to call me mom now, you can.” said Helen.

“Ok, mom.” smiled Carol. “I'm glad to have a family once more.”

She spent the rest of the afternoon getting to know the children, and by the time the visit was over, they were becoming fond of Aunty Carol.

Before she and Sally left, Sally went over the plan for picking up Emma and Michael once more.

Upon arriving back at their house, Carol was feeling happier than ever that she had been reunited with Sally. Her respect and love for Sally had grown even more.

“You are a natural with children.” she said. “Never mind being a woman trapped in a man's body, you were a mother trapped in a man's body.”

“Even my brother John thinks that way. His children have known me longer than Anne's, and they look on me as another mother. I really do want children of my own.” replied Sally.

“And I will help you become a mother. If I could give you one of my eggs, you can experience pregnancy too.” said Carol.

“I wish that were so, my love.” said Sally. “But just looking after the children with you would be enough.”

“But thank you for helping me rediscover what being part of a family is all about.” smiled Carol.

“When I get the chance, I'll take you up to Newcastle to meet my brother and his family.” said Sally.

“I would like that.” said Carol. “But I'm going to meet two of his children next week.”

“And you'll like them.” said Sally. “I'm certain of it.”

After that day, Carol's decision to go to the birthday party was confirmed. She even decided to play along and go in a dress.

Jessica and Sandra had to admit that they liked Carol, even if she was a woman who kissed women, especially as the woman turned out to be their Aunt Sally.

“Maybe two women getting married isn't a bad thing.” said Sandra.

“Oh, you're finally deciding that lesbians are ok?” asked Anne.

“It's just that Aunt Sally is brilliant and Aunt Carol is almost as brilliant.” replied Sandra.

“What is a lesbian?” asked Jessica.

“That is the name for a woman who likes other women.” said Anne.

“Does that make us lesbians?” asked Sandra.

“Lesbians kiss other lesbians.” said Anne.

“Oh.” said Sandra. “Why didn't you say?”

Anne shook her head and smiled.

“So, I just take it that you have 2 aunts, or will have 2 aunts that you really like?”

“Yes.” said Jessica.

“Ok, now as you know, I'll be out nearly all day Friday so gran will be looking after you for most of the day.” said Anne. “And Julia will be taking you to and from school as usual.”

Julia came round often over the next few days too, as Anne needed help with the decorating. Sally's bag hadn't just got presents in it, it had banners and balloons too. She had also included a balloon pump.

Jessica, as usual, liked to remind Sandra that there was only 1 year difference in age between them on her birthday. She also discovered that her teacher Miss Abbot kept up the idea of keeping tabs on everyone's birthday. She had to endure a chorus of the birthday song that morning. But better still was the fact that the other classmates had forgotten that this was Peter's birthday too.

* * *

Friday was soon upon them and Sally arrived early that morning.

“Ready to go then?” asked Sally. “Carol is staying at home for today.”

“I'm ready.” said Anne. “Prepared a few sandwiches for us. You know what train meals are like.”

“Pricey, like a lot of things.” said Sally. “I've got something for Michelle too.”

She showed Anne a pair of pants that looked familiar.

“You've got her a gaff?” asked Anne.

“John asked me.” said Sally. “Where are the girls?”

“Just getting up.” said Anne. “Helen is looking after them for now, while Julia is taking them to school as usual.”

“Well, ok.” said Sally. “The train is at 10:00am. Shall we go?”

Jessica and Sandra were just arriving at the bottom of the stairs as they were leaving. This meant a slight delay as Sally had to say hello and goodbye to them.

They caught a bus to the railway station and arrived with half hour to spare.

“I take it that Michelle and Emma will be ready to go, when we arrive?” asked Anne.

“They do have school, but they'll be back home and changed by the time we arrive.” said Sally.

After a quick stop at a newsagent to buy some magazines, they went to the platform to await their train.

“Great, bang on time!” said Sally. “Just hope it arrives in Newcastle on time!”

They boarded the train and found an empty seat for 2.

“I've never been to Newcastle before, what's it like?” asked Anne.

“Big place. Famous for bridges, football and brown ale.” said Sally. “I've been around a few times, but never really done much sightseeing.”

“I don't suppose we'll have time to do any?” asked Anne.

“Unlikely.” said Sally. “John lives in the suburbs, like most families. You'll just have to rely on the view from the taxi window.”

By now, Jessica and Sandra had begun their final day at school for the week. They just couldn't wait for the day to end just so they could meet two of their cousins again.

“Count yourselves lucky.” said Kelly. “We've got to wait till tomorrow to meet them. Besides, you've already met them.”

“I know we have.” said Jessica. “But you'll just have to be patient.”

“You're completely safe concerning your birthday.” said Lisa. “No one remembered it being Peter's too. They've obviously forgotten him.”

“Well, Peter is no more.” said Jessica. “But I am glad.”

“So, anyone going to be fairy tale princesses?” asked Rachel.

“Ariel.” said Lisa. “Human form.”

“Sleeping Beauty.” said Kelly.

“Does this mean you'll need a prince to wake you up?” asked Jessica.

The others laughed as Kelly looked far from happy.

“I'm not going to fall asleep!” she said.

“What about you Jess?” asked Lisa.

“I'm just going as Princess Jessica.” said Jessica. “Turned into a boy by an evil witch but has finally broken the spell.”

“That sounds like a good story.” said Rachel. “Who broke the spell?”

“My mommy.” smiled Jessica. “By giving me girl clothes, she broke the spell.”

“You need to write that story down.” said Lisa. “It sounds really good.”

Though Jessica agreed to write it down at a later date, she decided against doing it for school work.

As they finished school, they met up with Sandra before saying their goodbyes, knowing that they would be meeting again tomorrow.

“I hope mommy decides to stay at your house tonight instead.” said Kelly as she, Jessica and Sandra headed for Julia's car.

“Can we stop with Jessica and Sandra, mommy?” said Kelly as they got into the car.

“Why? I've got something nice planned for dinner at home.” said Julia.

“But I want to meet their cousins!” said Kelly.

“You will do tomorrow.” said Julia.

“Oh, not fair!” sighed Kelly.

“We've got to try your dress out.” said Julia.

Kelly had to go with her mom on that. She said goodbye as Jessica and Sandra were dropped off at their house.

Jessica and Sandra were a little surprised when they discovered that Anne and Sally were not back yet. Helen was on hand as promised, and had already got some news for them.

“Your mom and Aunt Sally have arrived at your Uncle John's house and have picked up your cousins” she told them. “They phoned about an hour ago. They'll be back later tonight.”

“How much later?” asked Sandra.

“Don't worry about it.” said Helen.

With that, the sisters headed to their room and removed their school uniforms.

* * *

Along with Edward, the sisters were told to take baths after their dinner. It still required Helen to give them a hand, but it was nothing she couldn't do.

“Ok, fish fingers, beans and chips.” said Helen. “What is wrong with peas, Sandra?”

“They look like bogeys.” said Sandra. “Especially mushy ones.”

“They look like snot.” said Jessica with a giggle.

“There is nothing wrong with peas.” said Helen. “You should try them.”

“I did.” said Sandra. “They're horrible.”

Jessica did like peas, but had to settle for baked beans most times. Sandra was not moving on her disliking for peas.

“Next time, I'm going to put some peas on your plate.” said Helen.

“I won't eat them.” said Sandra. “I don't like them and I never will!”

She had had this scenario at school, where peas often were served instead of beans. She had to push them to one side, much to the disliking of the dinner supervisors who were on duty.

After dinner, Sandra went upstairs in a huff. The subject of peas had got her riled.

“I don't like cabbage, gran.” said Jessica.

“Ok, so she doesn't like peas. We all have foods we dislike.” said Helen. “At least baked beans are vegetables.”

Sandra had cooled off by the time it came to baths. Edward was done first, followed by Jessica. Jessica once more found it a mix of emotions, as she had to look at her unwanted anatomy. She was glad to be dried off afterwards so that she could put on her gaff and hide it once more. With Sandra washed and dried, it was now just a case of waiting for Anne and Sally to arrive.

But the time seemed to drag. To help beat the boredom that was affecting the children, Helen put on some of their favourite DVDs.

It was just after 10:45pm when the sound of the door opening caught their ears. They raced to the hallway where Anne and Sally were standing. Between them stood two young girls, one with flowing dark brown hair, and the other with long medium brown hair.

“Emma, Michael!” said Sandra, running to meet them.

“My name is Michelle, not Michael.” said the girl with medium brown hair.

“Sorry Michelle.” said Sandra.

Michael, aka Michelle, reserved his biggest hug for Jessica.

“Great to meet you again cousin.” said Jessica.

“Great to see you too.” said Michael. “Your hair is longer now,”

“Yes, so's yours.” replied Jessica.

“It's just a wig.” said Michael. “Daddy says I can grow my hair in July. I'm so looking forward to then.”

“Don't we get an hello or hug?” said Anne. “Besides, I thought you would've been in bed by now.”

“Sorry mommy.” said Sandra and Jessica together.

“They so desperately wanted to say hello to their cousins first.” said Helen.

Anne and Sally were carrying a few bags. One contained the princess costumes that Michael and Emma were going to wear. Another contained presents for Jessica and Sandra, while a third contained two sleeping bags.

“So, you managed to get them here then?” asked Helen, as they all sat in the living room.

“Just a delay on the return train.” said Sally. “Otherwise, no problems.”

“Well, I can tell that someone enjoys being a girl.” said Helen, now turning to Michael.

Michael just smiled. His attire was completely feminine, from a knee length skirt to a girl's outdoor jacket.

“He's a natural, just like Jessica.” said Anne. “There was never any fear of him being outed.”

“I'll put the kettle on if you like?” said Helen, now heading to the kitchen.

“Yes please.” said Anne. “I could do with a cuppa.”

“So, any presents for us?” asked Sandra, now noticing the bags.

“In the morning.” said Anne. “You could all do with some sleep, I imagine.”

“They can have a drink before they go.” said Helen. “Do Emma and Michelle want drinks too?”

“Yes please gran.” said Emma. Michael responded in kind.

Helen returned with the drinks after a short while and sat down. Michael was proudly showing off his clothes to Jessica and Sandra.

“So, how's my son?” she asked, as she picked up a digestive off the plate.

“Never saw him, as he hadn't come back from work when we arrived.” said Sally. “Liz is getting big though.”

She was referring to Liz's yet to be born child, which was 7 months gone.

“Have they got anyone to help them?” asked Helen.

“The school trip has been done by the mom of one of Emma's friends.” said Sally. “They've also got a house keeper coming round to do some of the chores.”

“Ok, I think it's time we sorted out the sleeping arrangements.” said Anne.

She picked up the bag with the sleeping bags and went upstairs. Helen called to Edward and asked him to go to bed.

The girls just waited with Sally in the living room.

“Did you know Aunt Sally used to be a man?” asked Emma.

“Yes, we do.” said Jessica.

Sally listened in with interest.

“But she looks better as a woman.” said Jessica.

“They did mention this on the train earlier.” said Sally. “But you've already decided that I look better now. I think you look better too, Michelle.”

Michael just smiled.

They waited for a while longer, saying little, though the girls were eager to speak in private.

“Ok, the sleeping bags are sorted. It may be a tight squeeze, but you should manage.” said Anne as she entered the living room once more.

“Come on then.” said Sally. “Oh, and Michelle. You'll be wanting to wear these?”

Michael looked at the gaff that Sally was now holding in her hand. He smiled and nodded.

Upstairs, Jessica and Sandra were told to get into bed first, as the sleeping bags for Michael and Emma were placed between them. Soon, their cousins were in the room and getting changed into pyjamas too. Michael obviously didn't like parting with his wig, but he knew he couldn't sleep wth it on. Anne put it to one side and then removed the hair net that was also on his head.

While his pyjamas were indeed girly, his sleeping bag wasn't. It was a Ben 10 one.

After Emma and Michael were in their sleeping bags, Anne turned off the light and closed the door.

“Goodnight girls.” she said. “And go to sleep.”

But they couldn't. In whispers, they started to talk about how Sally and Anne were both getting married to other women, and how Michael was enjoying being Emma's sister.

“Will you go to sleep please!” said Anne.

“Alright!” came 4 voices in unison.

up
88 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The joys of a large and

The joys of a large and loving family in the household of Anne. Good role model for the two girls in the form of their Aunt Sally. They will learn a lot from her experiences.