Jessica's Story - Part 15/Michelle's Story - Part 10

Printer-friendly version

Jessica's Story 15/Michelle's Story 10

Jessica and her sister Sandra are celebrating their birthdays together (though its an early party for Sandra, and a late one for Jessica) and their party is being made all the more special by the presence of cousins Emma and Michael (as Michelle), who have made the long trip from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Jessica's Story - Part 15/Michelle's Story - Part 10

Following the lateness of their going to bed, Jessica, Sandra, Emma and Michael were all fairly late getting up. It needed a call from Anne to wake them.

“Oh, that is something I want to do more often.” said Michael as he climbed out of his sleeping bag.

“What would that be?” asked Sandra.

“Sleeping in a girls bedroom.” he replied.

As he got up, he proudly showed off the gaff that he had put on before going to bed.

“I do look like a girl now.” he smiled.

“You'll look even better with that wig on.” said Emma.

“Ready for breakfast, you lot?” asked Helen, coming into the room.

“Yes gran.” said Jessica.

Michael had been under the presumption that he would be wearing his dress straight away. They were not and he quickly put on the borrowed pyjamas again.

In the kitchen, the 4 children ate their breakfasts and discussed what they were going to be doing.

“Where's Aunt Sally?” asked Emma.

“She went home just after you went to bed.” said Anne. “She'll be back later.”

“So, are we getting our dresses on yet?” asked Michael.

“All in good time.” said Anne. “Besides, we need to get you ready before the others arrive.”

“Don't worry Michelle. Our friends know about you and won't say a word.” said Jessica.

Michael looked a bit unsure.

“No need to worry Michelle.” said Anne. “We've told them to leave you alone, and just treat you as one of the girls.”

“We heard that you're marrying a woman too.” said Emma to Anne.

“Did you? Obviously found out off my girls last night.” she replied. “Yes, I am. She'll be here later.”

“We know about Aunt Sally, but we didn't know about you.” said Michael.

“Well, you know now.” said Anne. “But back to today. I want you all to wash and meet me in my room. Ok?”

So, after breakfast, the girls went back upstairs and washed (even though Emma and Michael had taken baths yesterday) and prepared to become royalty for a day.

They were getting ready in Anne's room, as there was more space to work. Soon, the girls stood in a line, each wearing pretty dresses. Michael and Jessica stood by each other and smiled at the other two. There was no question that Michael was Michelle now. Anne had also got dressed for the occasion, but chose a more grown up outfit.

Jessica was wearing the pink dress that Miss Abbot gave her. Michael was wearing a sky blue dress, while his sister Emma wore the lemon yellow dress from Beauty and the Beast. Sandra completed the line up with a dark blue dress. All were wearing plastic tiaras with faux diamonds. They had also been given a coat of lip gloss each, while Sandra and Jessica also had clip on earrings too.

“Ok, stand to one side.” said Anne. “We need a photograph of the pretty princesses.”

It was not long after the group photo was taken, that the doorbell rang.

“Ok, I'll get it.” said Anne. “I have an idea who it could be.”

It wasn't Sally. It was Julia, with Kelly.

“Oh, I was expecting Sally.” said Anne.

“You're looking fab, as always.” smiled Julia.

“Oh, you've gone for pale blue too?” said Anne, looking at Kelly.

“I'm Sleeping Beauty.” said Kelly.

“I hope you aren't going to spend all day in bed then.” said Anne with a smile.

“I've put all the spinning wheels away.” chuckled Julia.

Anne let them into the house, just as Jessica and Sandra were coming downstairs.

“Glad that the weather is fine. Didn't want the royal company getting wet.” said Anne.

“Are we going out then?” asked Kelly.

“Yes, but we're keeping it a surprise.” said Anne.

“Happy birthday Jess; Happy birthday Sandra.” said Kelly, now noticing Sandra and Jessica. “Are your cousins here yet?”

She got her answer when Emma and Michael were led downstairs with Helen.

“Kelly, Julia, I would like you to meet Emma and Michelle.” said Anne.

Kelly went up to them and it was clear what she was out to discover.

“Please don't bother Michelle too much.” said Anne.

“I wasn't.” said Kelly. “She looks very pretty. They both do.”

Michael smiled at the compliment, but was surprised when Kelly made a simple mistake.

“Don't worry Michelle, your secret is safe with me.” she said – to Emma.

“I'm Emma.” said Emma. “This is Michelle.”

“Oh, I'm sorry!” said Kelly, feeling ashamed. “Michelle, you look nothing like a boy.”

“Well, that's that sorted.” said Anne. “But still 2 more girls to arrive, plus Sally.”

While they waited, the girls headed upstairs to talk. It was only a few minutes later when Lisa arrived. Her parents led her to the door and only left when they saw her enter the house.

“If you're looking for the others, go upstairs.” said Anne. “And don't make a fuss of Michelle. Kelly mistook her for her sister.”

Lisa was wearing the same outfit she wore at the Halloween party last year. It meant that 3 of the girls were wearing pale blue dresses, with Michael and Kelly being the others.

* * *

Lisa was wondering if she should have chosen a different coloured dress, having noticed two other pale blue dresses. She was soon told which girl was Michelle.

“You're just like Jessica. You are totally girly.” she said.

“Please remember everyone, that this is a girls room, and there are no boys at all in here.” said Sandra.

Jessica was looking at the dress that Anne had bought her. Sandra had received a new dress too. Kelly and Lisa had bought (or to be truly honest, their parents had) them clothes also. They were casual wear, being jeans and t-shirts mainly.

“Still waiting for Rachel.” said Lisa. “Wonder where she is?”

The doorbell went at that very moment, and minutes later, Rachel appeared round the door.

“Not many here, is there?” she asked.

“No boys in dresses here either.” said Jessica. Michael just giggled.

“Oh, but my brother Charlie is here, to keep Edward company.” added Rachel.

The room was crowded now, with 7 girls seated across two beds. It was just handy that neither bed had a foot. All had been told to give Michael some respect, and not to keep pointing out that he was like Jessica. It didn't seem to matter much, as having been amongst many girls before, this was nothing new to him. In these situations, he WAS Michelle.

Downstairs, Helen was looking after Edward while Anne and Julie were watching the time. Sally was late.

“I wonder where she is?” asked Anne.

“Got something up her sleeve no doubt.” said Helen.

Anne stood on the doorstep watching out for any sign of her car. It would be needed to help transport a quantity of princesses to the cinema. But eventually, a sound of a car horn caught Anne's attention. Sally had arrived.

“Where have you been?” asked Anne, walking upto the car. She got her answer immediately.

“Sorry I'm late, but what do you think?” asked Sally. Her long auburn hair was now curly.

“Hairdressers. Why didn't you say?” asked Anne.

“Couldn't help it. I wanted to look good for the girls. Besides, I've brought more help.” replied Sally.

Anne now saw Carol getting out of the passenger seat.

“Well, with 7 girls and 2 boys to take to the cinema, we need plenty of adults around.” smiled Anne. “All the girls have arrived.”

“9 kids in total?!” said Carol. “I know we want kids, but not that many please.”

“3 are friends from school.” said Anne. “2 are cousins from Newcastle.”

“How is Michelle getting on?” asked Sally.

“By the sounds of things, not bad. Seems like she is coping pretty well.” said Anne.

Both Sally and Carol had gone for evening dresses, just to try and look regal. Anne was certainly expecting the party to get looks when they headed out to the cinema shortly.

With Sally and Carol now present, everyone that was expected was now there. For Emma and Michael, this was the first chance for them to meet Carol.

“Carol, I would like to introduce you to Emma and Michael, though for today he is very much Michelle.” said Sally.

“These are your other nieces, I presume?” asked Carol.

“Very much so.” said Sally.

Sally and Carol had to be introduced to Lisa and Rachel too, even if it meant referring to Carol as an aunt too.

The girls were now gathered in the living room.

“Ok, here's the plan for today.” said Anne. “Our party of princesses are to be taken by car – we can't get horse drawn carriages – to the nearest cinema where they will be watching Puss in Boots. After that, I imagine they will be getting hungry, so we'll be taking them to McDonalds for dinner. Then it's back to this small palace for games and a birthday tea.”

“That all?” asked Helen jokingly. “And don't forget Edward and Charlie.”

“No, can't forget the men of the house.” said Anne.

“You mean Prince Charmings?” said Rachel.

“They're not dressed like princes though.” said Emma.

“No prince costumes available, and Edward didn't want to be a princess.” said Anne.

“My mom wouldn't want Charlie dressed like one either.” said Rachel.

Anne just gave an apologetic look to Sally and Carol.

Edward, dressed in plain casual clothes, didn't know what to think of the girls. The thought of being dressed like them didn't appeal to him. He was happy to be playing along with Charlie. But they were still going to the cinema with the girls, even if they were the only ones not in fancy dress.

So, with 7 girls and 2 boys, plus 5 adults, it was a good job that 3 cars were available.

Sandra, Rachel and Lisa went with Anne and Helen, while Emma, Michael and Jessica went with Sally and Carol. Julia was left with Kelly, Edward and Charlie.

* * *

It was a sight for onlookers as the party of princesses was escorted into the cinema by the group of women, most of whom looked dressed for a night out themselves. They had gone to one of these multi-screen cinemas that were located on the outskirts. A number of eateries had been opened around it too, including the McDonalds that they were heading for afterwards.

Once inside, the children gathered in a corner while Anne and Sally got the tickets. Once bought, Anne gave the other adults a quick word of advice, keeping her voice low.

“Michelle and Jessica are to use the women's toilets if they need to go.” she told them, though most were ok with this any way. “You can always go in with them if you like.”

“Anne. I think we're wary of the situation.” said Julia. “No one is ever going to tell.”

“Of course we won't tell.” said Lisa, misunderstanding Julia's statement.

They had to wait a while for the theatre to empty, so sat in the corridor.

“You're getting a lot of attention.” smiled Sally. “Don't worry, I've seen parties of children in fancy dress go out for the day before.”

Anne had managed to bring a small bag of sweets with her. The problem with cinemas was how they tried to blackmail customers into buying their food, by preventing them from bringing their own. The heavy prices rivalled those of motorway services. Anne found the others very much agreeing that paying twice the high street price for bags of sweets was not on.

They watched on as the theatre emptied, then watched as cleaners went in to clear up the mess left behind. When they where finally let in, they took up an entire row down the centre. After the wait to get in, their patience was tested further by the near eternity of looking at a set of curtains that obscured the screen. They let out a cheer when they drew back.

“Where's the film?” asked Emma.

“Not yet. You've got the trailers first.” said Julia.

But the trailers were not yet. Just loads of adverts and notices from the cinema, including “no smoking” amongst others. It was bad enough as some were repeated.

“This is getting boring!” said Sandra.

A united groan accompanied the closing of the curtains once more, followed by cheers minutes later when they opened again, this time for the trailers. But after the trailers, the audience got what it wanted: the film itself.

“Taken over half hour.” said Anne.

“Felt like longer.” said Jessica.

When they left upon the film's ending, they decided to do toilet calls. As Julia had pointed out earlier, any chance of Jessica and Michael being discovered was practically zero. It would take a voyeur to find them out, but there was even no chance of that. The reason being that the girls had to lift their dresses up, and even as they sat down, the front of the dress covered their private parts.

Besides, Anne had to take Edward and Charlie into the gents, seeing that there was no men in their party to do otherwise.

Sally remained in the toilet until all the girls were finished. Once back in the corridor, Anne did a headcount before taking them onto the second part of their outing – McDonalds.

Once again, heads were turned as the “royal” party were escorted into the restaurant.

“Ok, lets find some tables first.” said Anne. “I've got a pen and paper to write down orders.”

“Ok, but let me pay for the meals.” said Carol. “It's the least I can do.”

“Well, thanks.” said Anne.

After finding a number of tables that were close together, Anne went round taking orders, with Happy Meals for the children and the adults going for adult meals, obviously. Still, with much variation in the orders, it was a necessity to write them down. Anne and Carol then took the orders to the counter.

While they waited, the children were busy discussing the movie and pointing out the parts they enjoyed most. The adults had noticed a few jokes that the children didn't. For most of the girls, wearing dresses that went down to their ankles was a new experience, including Michael and Jessica, though they had worn their dresses before, they had never worn them for more than a few minutes. But for Michael, this felt so right.

Anne and Carol had to make more than one trip from the counter to serve the food, as well as ensuring that the children got the right meals. Charlie and Edward were the easiest, as they had boy themed boxes and toys.

“Now, no ice creams, as there'll be plenty of sweets and cakes when we get back.” said Anne.

She got a few sighs of disappointment, but not many. Her words were brought on by a request for an ice cream by Rachel.

“Now, no waste please.” said Helen, as some of the girls seemed destined to leave the odd bit of food.

“Some just don't like gherkins.” said Anne. The children who had chosen burgers had removed them.

“No fear. I like them.” said Julia.

A few slices of gherkin were passed over to her as a result, though Carol ate a couple too.

After everyone had finished eating, they made ready to go. The children picked up their toys and made their way back to the cars. Some decided to go back in another car, but Anne and the others were not bothered, as long as they made their minds up quickly.

Soon, the three cars were heading back to the house where the party was set to continue.

* * *

Michael and Jessica sat with Emma in Sally's car on the way back. Due to their common goal in life, the cousins had become almost like sisters to one another.

“Enjoying yourself girls?” asked Carol, who was sitting in the passenger seat.

“Yes Aunty Carol.” said Jessica.

Emma and Michael replied in kind.

“I really like your dress Jessica.” said Emma.

“I got it from my teacher.” replied Jessica.

“Your teacher?!” replied Emma and Michael.

“It was a school dress, for plays. They were going to throw it away.” said Jessica.

She ended up explaining how she had first worn the dress and how this had led to her mom and dad breaking up.

“That brother of mine needs locking up.” said Sally, who had been listening to the story.

“Most get caught in their mom's bedroom, not the school cupboard.” smiled Carol. “But that dress does suit you Jessica.”

“I like your dresses though.” said Jessica to Emma and Michael.

“Certainly better than trousers.” smiled Michael. “Feels nice on the legs.”

Their dresses all had two underlayers on the skirt section. It was certainly helping to keep their legs warm.

“You can certainly say that when it comes to clothes, us girls have so much more choice.” said Sally.

“Much prettier too.” smiled Emma.

Soon all three cars were pulling up outside the Smith residence. The girls were helped out and led back to the front door where Anne let them in.

“Ok, we'll be having a few games in a short while.” said Anne. “Just sit down for a while.

The children sat themselves on the living room floor while Anne went to fetch a few things. She came back a short while later with some presents, though not for the birthday girls.

“I promised a few games, and here are the prizes.” she said. Jessica and Sandra did think that the presents were for them. One present was larger, but it was later found out why.

The first game explained it – pass the parcel. Helen was by the music centre and had a music CD on standby. The children were sat in a circle on the floor and awaited the parcel. They knew the rules, so Anne's explanation was groaned at.

The parcel had been wrapped 10 times, and Helen decided not to look at the progress of the parcel around the circle, in case she was accused of stopping the music at precise moments.

The eventual winner was Lisa, who ended up with a large bag of Maltesers.

The next game was also familiar: musical statues. Once again, Helen was in charge of the music while Anne and Sally went round inspecting the “statues”. They suspected that some were moving behind their backs only to be still again when they looked. It also appeared that Carol and Julia were helping the children by not alerting Anne and Sally to any movements they made.

The game went on for a while as the last three: Jessica, Emma and Rachel all appeared to be very good. They were so good that Anne and Sally resorted to some underhanded tactics to get them eliminated, such as pulling faces in front of them.

“Stop being spoil sports.” said Julia.

“Never you mind.” said Anne. “We need a winner.”

The eventual winner was Emma who beat Rachel. Jessica came third. Emma sat down besides Michael and opened the present that she had won: a bag of toffees.

“I think the adults should do it now.” suggested Helen. “Don't you agree kids?”

The children were behind Helen on this, so it came that Anne, Sally, Carol and Julia, minus their shoes, participated in a game of musical statues themselves. They just found Jessica and Sandra a bit more strict when it came to the judging. Jessica wanted payback on Anne who had made her blink in the last game. It turned out to be a dual effort to get her out, as Jessica went behind her and tickled her. Anne couldn't help but move and Sandra caught her.

“You rotters!” she replied. “You did that on purpose!”

“That's for getting me out in the last game.” said Jessica.

It turned out to be a short game, as the adults turned out to be worse players than the children. Still, the children took pleasure in seeing the adults failing spectaculary.

There was one final game for the children: pin the tail on the donkey. Julia had proven herself to be the best artist and had drawn a decent picture of a donkey, minus a tail. The children took it in turns to place the tail on the picture, blindfolded of course. They did need directing at times, as it seemed that the watching adults were in danger of being stabbed by a drawing pin. After each attempt, the name of the child was placed by their pin hole. Closest to the right spot would win. While some were way off target, Rachel got hers closest and won the final bag of sweets.

* * *

For the next hour or so, they let the children enjoy a bit of dancing. Anne put on another CD of tunes that appealed to them. There was no doubt that they were full of energy, and Anne was keen to let them build up a hunger before the evening tea.

“I wonder which princess will get to kiss the prince?” asked Lisa.

“Which one?” asked Rachel.

“I don't know. I wonder if they will?” replied Lisa.

The “princes” were of course, Edward and Charlie. They were busy enjoying their own company, and not bothered about what the girls were up to.

“Charlie, do you want to kiss a princess?” asked Rachel to her brother.

Charlie looked at her and pulled a face. It was clear that his answer was no. Edward seemed uninterested too.

“Spoilsports.” said Rachel. “We don't bite.”

Michael and Emma were nearby and came over to find out what was going on.

“The boys are in no mood to kiss a princess.” said Rachel.

“If the boys won't kiss us, we'll have to kiss them.” said Emma. “Who's game?”

Jessica and Kelly had come over now, and they winced at the thought of kissing anyone.

“Anyone?” asked Rachel.

“I'll do it.” came a voice from an unexpected source.

The girls watched in amazement as Michael went over to Charlie, grabbed him, and kissed him fully on the lips.

“Michelle is a girl, no mistake.” said Emma, in amazement.

Charlie was in utter shock, while Michael came back to the main group with a smile on his face.

“What was it like?” asked Rachel.

“His lips were wet.” replied Michael.

“A boy kissed a boy.” said Lisa at last.

“I'm not a boy!” said Michael. “My name is Michelle and I'm a girl!”

It was soon made known about Michael kissing Charlie. It was made clear that this wasn't a gay kiss, despite the persons involved both being boys: Michael's mindset was that of a girl when he did it. The only plus point was that Charlie was unaware of the technicalities behind the incident. This was good, seeing that his parents would certainly be up in arms if they found out.

“Rachel, just don't mention this to your mom, ok?” said Anne.

“Ok. But what if Charlie says anything?” replied Rachel.

“You dared Michelle. It was just a game.” said Anne.

Emma stood by her brother on the incident, and was actually quite proud of him.

“Today sis, you really are a girl.” she smiled, hugging him.

Though the subject was taked about for the remainder of the day, it was never divulged with anyone else. Michael's first kiss was nothing more than harmless fun.

With Anne now preparing sandwiches for the evening tea, the girls were left to their own devices, which meant meeting in the girl's bedroom.

Charlie was getting over the kiss incident, thanks to Helen telling him not to worry about it.

Sally and Carol were talking in the kitchen about Michael too. Anne was listening on.

“I can't believe that this family now has two boys who were so meant to be girls.” said Carol. “It's bizarre that there is already a transsexual in the family as well.”

Sally didn't take offense in the slightest. Even she found it hard to believe that two of her nephews wanted to be girls. She explained as much as she could about Michael to Carol.

“To call Michael a boy is an insult to him.” added Carol. “I bet the thought of wearing boys clothes fills him with dread.”

“John tells me that he spends all his home time as a girl.” said Sally.

“And as you've probably discovered, the girls here are aware of his secret.” added Anne, who was now preparing a bowl of salad.

“They're going to need friends for the times ahead.” said Carol. “It's good to see they've got them already.”

“They've known about Jessica for a while.” said Anne. “They've stood by her ever since finding out.”

“So, Jessica is 7. Sandra is 9?” asked Carol.

“Sandra will be 9 on Wednesday.” said Anne. “We always hold one party for the two of them, seeing that their birthdays are just a week apart.”

In the girl's room, the girls were discussing Michael's bold move further.

“So, what was the kiss like?” asked Lisa to Michael.

“Wasn't bad.” said Michael. “I've seen mommy and daddy do it and I think they put their tongues in each others mouths.”

“Yuck.” said Lisa.

“I'm sure mommy and Julia have done that too.” said Sandra. “Oops!”

Rachel and Lisa looked at Sandra. Jessica and Kelly both gave a groan.

* * *

Rachel and Lisa were, up till now, the only ones who didn't know that Anne and Julia were an item.

“Your mom and Kelly's mom kissed each other?” asked Rachel.

Kelly, Sandra and Jessica just nodded.

Rachel and Lisa didn't know what to say.

“Our mommies are really happy together.” said Kelly at last. “But don't say anything.”

“We won't.” said Lisa. “But does mean you'll have two mommies?”

“Yes, it does.” said Jessica. “But Kelly will be our sister.”

“But having two mommies might be nice. They're the nicest people in the world.” said Lisa.

“Anyone else want to kiss the boys downstairs?” asked Rachel, changing the subject.

“I think they'll run away if we try again.” said Sandra.

“Back to kissing, I'm not sure I ever want to kiss anyone.” said Jessica.

“Why not?” asked Emma. “Don't you want to fall in love?”

“I still think it looks horrible.” said Jessica.

“Go downstairs and kiss Charlie, then you'll know how horrible it is.” said Lisa.

“It wasn't bad, honestly.” said Michael.

Jessica didn't seem convinced, and it seemed there was only one way to convince her.

“Sorry about this cousin, but you asked for it.” said Emma

Emma went over to Jessica and placed her lips on hers.

“You're not telling me you like girls?” asked Sandra.

“I just wanted to see what a kiss was like, and Jessica needed to know too.” said Emma.

“Well, what was it like?” asked Rachel.

“Her lips taste nice.” said Emma.

“They've got strawberry flavoured lip gloss on, stupid.” said Sandra.

“How about you?” asked Rachel to Jessica.

“It was ok.” she replied. “Ok, it wasn't as bad as I thought.”

“Ok, that leaves me, Rachel, Sandra and Kelly to go.” said Lisa, now counting the girls who had yet to taste another set of lips.

“I'm not doing it.” said Sandra. “I'm going to play dolls house.”

The subject of kissing was left there. Rachel then noticed a peculiar subject for a girls room.

“What girl uses a Ben 10 sleeping bag?” she said, noticing the sleeping bags that were rolled up on Sandra's bed.

“That's Michelle's sleeping bag.” said Emma. “She likes the show, even when dressed as a boy.”

“But it's boy's show?” said Lisa.

“And it has a girl character.” said Emma. “She does some of the fighting too.”

“But girls don't fight?” asked Lisa.

“What does she look like?” asked Rachel.

“She's got long red hair, just like you.” said Michael, pointing at Lisa. “And she uses magic.”

“Good girl or bad girl?” asked Kelly, now getting involved.

“She's Ben's cousin. She's a goodie.” said Michael. He couldn't believe that there was interest in the show.

But the interest was just in Gwen. He turned to the rest of the show and the interest just died. To help cheer him up, Jessica let him look after Emily for a while.

“I should have brought Gemma with me. She likes meeting other dolls.” sighed Emma.

“You can look after Sally if you like.” said Sandra.

Emma knew about Sandra's doll, as her dad had bought it for Sandra at Christmas. But this was the first she knew about the name.

Kelly, Lisa and Rachel decided to go and play with the dolls house, while the cousins sat together and read stories to their dolls and teddies. But it wasn't long before Anne called them all downstairs for the all important birthday tea.

* * *

They arrived in the kitchen to find the table laden with sandwiches, cakes and biscuits amongst other things.

“Ok girls, boys. Tuck in.” said Anne.

They were given paper plates that were silver coloured. They then went round the table picking up sandwiches, sausage rolls, crisps and anything else they wanted. The only thing that wasn't on the table at that time was the all important cake. Anne was keeping that till later.

After filling their plates, they were ushered into the living room.

“I want to see empty plates.” said Anne. “Only good princesses will get any ice cream.”

The promise of ice cream ensured that the children did finish their food, though they were allowed to go back and have more if they wanted.

Eventually though, Anne went to the kitchen and fetched the cake out of the cupboard, setting up candles before calling everyone in.

“Gather round. I know that Sandra's birthday is on Wednesday, so she isn't 9 just yet, but we're celebrating it today.” she told everyone.

Jessica and Sandra took their places by the cake, while everyone else stood around. Once the candles were lit, Helen turned the lights out so that the candles provided the only light.

Before they blew out the candles, Anne decided to get a memento of the party and got the children to gather around the cake and have their photo taken with it.

Soon, the sisters were wishing that they were deaf for a few minutes as the tradional song was sung. As soon as it ended, they blew the candles out together.

But as the cake was being cut and served, Rachel reminded Anne of promised ice cream.

“Ok, I'll get the ice cream.” said Anne. “I did promise.”

Soon, all the children had a slice of birthday cake and a dish of ice cream.

“I should imagine their tummies are full after all this food.” said Helen.

“I don't know. Come tomorrow morning and they'll want breakfast for sure.” said Sally.

Michael and Emma looked at Sally with unkeen looks. They were enjoying their visit and the thought of going back home was not a welcome one at this time.

But the time for others to go home did arrive. Lisa, then Rachel and finally Kelly. They all said goodbye to Jessica and Sandra, but left the biggest goodbyes for Michael and Emma. There was no idea of when they would meet them again.

The cousins remained together throughout the evening. Michael and Emma had enjoyed the party immensely and were not looking forward to saying goodbye. At least Anne and Sally had chosen a later train the next morning.

“If I stay here, I can be a girl all the time.” said Michael. “It's more fun as a girl.”

“You can do that one day.” said Sally. “Maybe you can have your hair as long as Jessica and Sandra, or longer.”

“I'd love that.” he smiled.

“And don't go kissing every boy you meet.” smiled Anne. “Wait till you're older.”

“We just need Sandra to kiss someone now.” said Emma.

“Why, have you kissed someone then?” asked Anne.

“Yes, I kissed Jessica.” smiled Emma. Jessica looked abashed.

“You know you are first cousins, don't you?” asked Anne.

“They're too young to understand that.” said Helen.

“Well, we'd better be going.” said Sally. “Got to be back here in the morning.”

Sally and Carol hugged the children in turn before heading home themselves.

“I think it's time that 4 princesses got ready for bed.” said Anne moments later.

The girls just looked at her as if she was having a joke.

“It is getting late.” added Anne. “It is nearly 8:00pm and that is bedtime for you.”

After reluctantly washing, they headed for their room. Anne was just tucking Edward into bed as they did so.

“I really would like to stay here.” said Michael. “I can stay a girl here.”

“But what about Robert?” asked Emma. “He would wonder where you are.”

“But back home, I've got to wait till September. Here, I could do it now.” sighed Michael.

“Who's Robert?” asked Jessica.

“Robert is my best friend.” sighed Michael.

“His parents are splitting up. He may leave school.” said Emma.

Anne came in at that moment to help sort out the sleeping bags.

“You said something about parents splitting up?” asked Anne.

Michael then explained about Robert to her.

“And if he leaves, I'll have no friends at school except Emma's friends.” he said.

“So, you want to go to school as Michelle so that you can still have friends?” asked Sandra.

“But daddy wants me to wait till next year.” said Michael, referring to the school year.

“Listen Michelle. Jessica had to wait till July to be a girl full time.” said Anne.

“I always hung around with Sandra at school.” said Jessica. “Even when I was a boy.”

“But boys and girls never hang out together.” said Emma.

“We did. Maybe because we're sisters.” said Sandra.

“You should try hanging out with Emma.” said Jessica.

“Michelle, it would be an idea to do that, even as a boy.” said Anne. “But waiting till July won't be a bad thing. From then on, you can be as girly as you like.”

The girls carefully took off their dresses and put them to one side, where Anne took them and folded them neatly. Emma's and Michael's dresses were put to one side, as they would be packed ready for tomorrow. Their tiaras were also put to one side.

Soon, they were in the pyjamas and getting ready to go to bed. The last thing was for Michael to have his wig and hairnet removed.

“I can't wait for my own hair to be as long.” he sighed.

“Join the club.” said Jessica. “My hair is still too short.”

“We're growing our hair down to our bums.” said Sandra.

“Brushing it will be so much fun!” said Jessica.

“Ok, calm down and go to sleep.” said Anne, who was still in the room. “Goodnight, and go to sleep.”

For once, they abided straight away.

* * *

The next morning, they were awoken from their slumber by Anne, who instructed them all to wash. They all groaned as they got up and headed to the bathroom.

Once they were all in the bathroom, Anne went and gathered the sleeping bags and made the beds, before going to check on the girls.

The girls were all in the same mood – glum. It was clear that they enjoyed each other's company, and that they would soon be parting. They were keen to find any way of delaying that moment. The only thing that was helping them, was that Sally had yet to show up.

After washing, they returned to the room to get dressed. Michael and Emma were breaking a rule by wearing the clothes that they had come in on Friday. Once dressed, they brushed each others hair. Michael was given the opportunity to have his own hair brushed before his wig was put on. Then the wig received a good brushing too.

“I suppose we'll be seeing you again at Christmas.” sighed Jessica as she sat down to eat her cornflakes.

“You can come to our birthday parties, if you like.” said Emma.

“That would be nice.” said Sandra. “When are they?”

“My birthday is in October, while Michelle's birthday is in November.” replied Emma.

“And hopefully, Michelle will be living as a girl by then.” said Anne. “That would be a nice day for you.”

Michael just smiled at the thought. The possibilty that he would be celebrating his next birthday as a girl was a heart warming thought indeed.

After finishing their breakfast, they waited patiently in the living room. Helen was in there with Edward. Anne then came in with some bags, one containing sleeping bags, and the other containing dresses. This made the girls even more glum.

“I'm just going to do some food for us to take on the train.” said Anne. “Sally should be here soon.”

Sally arrived minutes later. Her arrival only compounded the sadness that the girls were feeling.

“Why the long faces?” said Sally as she entered the living room.

“Just say that two sets of cousins are reluctant to part.” said Helen.

“It's not the end of the world girls.” said Sally. “You'll meet again.”

“I want them to come to our birthday parties.” said Emma.

“Well, hopefully they can.” said Sally. “But it is almost time for goodbyes.”

The lengthy hugs that were soon exchanged were expected. Jessica and Michael hugged the most, and both were teary eyed by the end.

“I think it very safe to say that Michael isn't a boy.” said Sally, as they prepared to leave.

“I'll have to ask John when we arrive about the chances of visiting now and again.” said Anne. “It's just a problem with the distance.”

“Good idea. Seems that Christmas isn't enough.” said Sally.

“Well girls, Edward.” said Anne. “I'll be back tonight. Gran will look after you, so be good to her.”

“Bye mommy.” said Sandra and Jessica together.

With that, Anne, Sally, Michael and Emma left, leaving the girls feeling sad that their latest meeting with their cousins, two of them at least, had come to an end.

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Rachel,

Love the story but would like to see Michael referred to as Michele when she is dressed as she obviously sees herself
as a girl all the time and enjoys the company of other girls.It will be good when she finally transitions.

ALISON

Really enjoyed this chapter/s

Really enjoyed this chapter/s about Michelle and Jessica and their continuing journey into girlhood. My only personal comment is I would rather that Michael had been referred to as Michelle once she arrived and was finally dressed as all the other girls. It bothered me to see a back and forth with her two names, especially when Michelle was presented to one and all.