Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2364

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2364
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

June was here, no longer a favourite month since Gloria decided to go to glory a year before. Had I really had little Lizzie a whole year? I’ll never understand how she could calmly ask me to hold on to her baby while minutes later she wrapped a bandage round her neck and jumped off a landing. She had sounded so plausible, she wanted to talk things through with Neal, so she’d said and it could take a couple or so days. I told her to carry on we’d look after Lizzie for as long as it took. They were both in hospital, he having recently tried to kill himself by hanging and then she went and did the same stupid thing. She’d never see her baby grow up or anything else. That struck me as incredibly sad. She wasn’t a bad mother though it was suspected she was suffering from post natal depression which can make young women do all sorts of things, including end their own lives.

Neal was now in a private clinic having had some form of breakdown following Gloria’s final act. I was probably the last person to speak with her before she calmly walked out of the ward and killed herself by hanging—how horrible. Neal seemed unwilling or unable to pull himself out of his mire and if anything appeared to my uncultured eye, to be worse. The bank was paying for his treatment but so far it looked to be a far from positive result, but Henry agreed to foot the bill because Neal was Phoebe’s brother and I’d informally adopted her. Because she was his next of kin, social services didn’t pursue things very hard and we were allowed to keep the baby until he was fit and well enough to take care of her. His appearance the last time I’d seen him suggested that could be months if not years to happen. He looked dreadful and acted the same way. The blue light seemed unable or unwilling to help effect a cure for him.

I used to take Phoebe and the baby with me until she, Phoebe, that is, decided it was too distressing to watch and the clinic suggested they couldn’t be responsible for the baby’s health if Neal threw another wobbley. I thought it unlikely but who knows? I still visit him on a regular but infrequent basis. My visits aren’t particularly enjoyable for either of us, he sits there crying or telling me he wished I’d let him die the day Phoebe and I rescued him when he tried to hang himself. Perhaps he’s right.

It confused me that Gloria had told me Neal had fancied me more than her and had only married her after I wed Simon. I never had any feelings for him beyond that of a valued colleague which considering I was fostering his sister struck me as confusing.

We were all coming up to a year older since the Allen’s tragedy had happened,
Lizzie was now aged one and a few weeks, and while I’d tried not to get too fond of her because I’d always planned on giving her back to Neal, she was calling me ‘Ma ma,’ because I was the closest thing she had to a mother. I fed her, clothed her and was responsible for her. I had applied and received a fostering order for her—social services seemed at last to appreciate that I was reasonable as a foster mother and I even got a monthly amount for doing it, which went into a deposit account for her later, perhaps if she went to university. Although money wasn’t in short supply I tried to set up some provision for each of the children so they’d have some sort of start in life when they thought about fleeing the nest.

Sunday had lived up to its eponym and the sun shone giving us a false sense of a possible ‘flaming June’. Those of us who believed the epithet were brought back to earth on the Monday when we returned to drizzle and cooler temperatures. Three weeks hence and the solstice would be here from which it was all downhill and the days shortened and we slid into winter again, sometimes the thought of living somewhere that was warm all the year round had its attractions. Then I’d remember no dormice and I’d decide to stay here and continue doing what I could to conserve my favourite mammals as well as my family.

I also realised that Simon would never leave the bank, so even if I went abroad to live he’d only visit occasionally and it’s bad enough now when he gets stuck in town and I don’t see him at all for a few days. He phones me at night but you can’t cuddle a phone or have it hold you. As much as I grumble at or about him, I still miss him when he’s away—I must love him after all.

Occasionally I do wonder if the world is trying to tell me something. I have Cate and Lizzie because of parental suicides, Livvie because of a murder and subsequent suicide and the others for various reasons including death by illness of Phoebe’s mother, and abandonment by the parents of the other older children including Jacquie who suffered the most horrendous abuse in a secure unit being punished for a crime she didn’t commit. If I allowed myself to, I could get quite angry on her behalf I feel so strongly about it. She’s a good kid—hark at me, about ten years older—and she’s finally finishing her access course—to go to university. Because of what happened before with her going away, she’s decided to enrol at Portsmouth university and study from home—so she can continue to help me at home or with the children. What she doesn’t know is that Simon has agreed to pay her fees if she gets accepted—she’d better.

My mother was right, I do have lots of children but I don’t want any more, I am replete or complete or whatever they say. I doubt I could cope with any further children, no matter how many there were awaiting adoptive parents or foster ones. I’m stretched to the limit.

At least the girls are back in school, so half term is officially over, so no more nagging, challenging or brow-beating questions from Trish, we pay a group of nuns to do that—accept her challenging questions—some of which are simplistic for disguising her intellect and others which make the hapless nuns want to throw themselves on to their rosaries. No one forgets meeting Trish, no one.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
214 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Uh oh...

"I do have lots of children but I don’t want any more"

Quick Cathy, find some wood to knock on ...

Nah!

Just remove the candle. The light attracts them.
LOLOL X

Though on second thoughts, if the candle has got barbed-wire around it keep it burning as bright as you can!

bev_1.jpg

Nice Soliloquy of Summation

What a complex and wondrous family you have crafted. I do love those children though at times...

Thanks
Joani

The end??

Dahlia's picture

So with this synopsis it seems as though the author is hinting that she is possibly replete of this story line. If so, it has been a fabulous one and my coffer is full to the brim with the very best story I've ever read in my lifetime. Little doubt I shall come across another as well done with intrigue, sadness and laughter in every page. I will miss, nay, I will be lost for a while with my habit of checking this site 4, 5 or possibly more times a day to see if the latest installment is available to satisfy my Bike itch. Thanks again so very much Angharad.

What a summation...

on the reasons for Cathy's parenting role. I have read every single episode to date and must admit that I do not remember every reason for Cathy to have accepted the responsibility foisted on her. But true to her character, she treats them all with as much love and respect as if she had birthed them.

If it is your intention to wind up EAFOAB, I accept your decision without comment as it is your right to continue only as long as you enjoy what you are doing. Real life must always take precedent over the wonderful world of fiction that you have created.

Angharad I was away for some 18 days and could not get my mini 'puter to sign me in to BC so please note that I failed to give you Kudos for all the episodes from the 13 of May to end of the month. My apologies.

Thank you for your considerable talent in creating such a story that combines humour with heartfelt loving people in a realtime setting.

Ruth

May the sun always shine on your parade

A nice

reflective episode, Sometimes its just good to look back on your life and think what if, However the one thing Cathy could never say is her life has been in anyway boring, Tiring maybe but i'm guessing she would have it no other way.

Kirri

I make it 6 children ...

That can't right. Maybe it is 8? How about an even dozen?

Sigh.

Gwen

A very nice chapter of Cathy

A very nice chapter of Cathy just going over her memories about how she got all the children and Simon and her lives together with everyone. I do hope this does not portend to be the finish to a wonderful story. I tend to go on withdrawals in any day without "Bike".

Don't want...

Don't want more, huh... Then Cathy'd better get out of the teaching profession... She'll get some there, specially if they end up doing graduate studies with her as their adviser. But even if not, some undergraduates will turn up off and on over the years. This happens to the popular professors. :-)

Trying to catch up,
Annette

I keep wondering

if Gloria really did commit suicide, I have since day one. But as it gets farther and farther away from that day, maybe it was.