Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2353

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2353
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Of course the weather didn’t last and by Monday we were having showers and some thunder and lightning. Most of it was along the channel occasionally over the Isle of Wight. I felt quite glad we didn’t buy the Palmerston fort because that would have been in the middle of the storm. I’m not generally frightened by thunder storms but being stuck off shore in a concrete block, would not have made me a happy bunny.

The girls had been to school as usual and after collecting them I was asked by Trish and Livvie if they could go and visit their friend, Rowena who lived just outside Portsmouth, and who had some baby rabbits she wanted to show the girls.

As they’d behaved quite well in the car and done their homework soon after arriving home, I could hardly say no. I got them to phone her and then spoke to her mother to make sure it was alright for us to visit about seven o’clock. Her mum sounded quite nice and assured me they weren’t trying to sell the rabbits.

So, at about twenty to seven we set off to see the baby bunnies, following the directions Rowena’s mum had given me. Things were fine until we were on a country road and the van in front of us ran over a dead badger causing it to roll over and its tongue lolled out of its mouth. The girls saw it and shrieked in horror. I must admit even though I knew the poor thing was already dead, it was quite gruesome to witness. Then of course they started to cry and by the time we got to Rowena’s they were red eyed and hiccupping.

I gave them a moment to control themselves and wipe their eyes but it was obvious they’d been crying. Rowena must have been watching out for us because a minute or so later she came out of the house and looked at us over the gate.

She was a tallish girl, certainly at least two or three inches taller than my two, with long dark hair. Her eyebrows were like those of the supermodel Cara Delvigne and tended to draw the eye towards them. Then a moment later the three girls ran round the rear of the house leaving me standing by myself just inside the gate. I wasn’t alone for long, an older version of Rowena appeared at the door. “Cathy?” she enquired and I nodded. “Charity,” she said she was called, though most people shortened it to, Char. I nodded my understanding, and having given a diminutive of my own name, I could hardly do anything but agree to call her Char. “Do come in and have a drink. Tea, coffee or something stronger?”

It will come as no surprise that I opted for tea. Waiting for this I looked at the paintings on the hallway wall. They were quite attractive, mostly bits of buildings like a window, a chimney or doorway. Even I could guess they were of Venice even though I’ve never been there. Canaletto they were not but very pleasant all the same. I remarked upon them and she explained they were done by a local chap, ex navy who died the previous year. She’d met him several times including doing a couple of weekend courses he ran but she still couldn’t paint for toffee. I told her my own painting skills were better suited to emulsion than watercolours and she chuckled.

As we drank our tea, I related the episode with the dead badger, and although I’d swerved around it, the girls had become upset seeing it move. She sipped her tea and nodded. “I think I’d have been a bit squeamish as well,” she admitted and I agreed with her.

She suggested that there seemed to be so many of them killed on the roads these days. I told her that research had suggested most of them were male animals but we didn’t know why they wandered on to roads in such numbers.

“I’ve just realised where I’ve seen you before.”

“The school?”

“Have I?” she asked suggesting she hadn’t.

“A supermarket?”

“No—it was on television—you did a film on dormice. It was you, wasn’t it?”

I could hardly lie, could I?

“Depends upon which film you mean,” I tried to muddy the waters somewhat.

“Has there been more than one?”

“I don’t know.”

“But you did one, didn’t you?”

“I was involved with one, yes.”

Just then Trish dashed in, “Come and see these bunnies, Mummy.”

“Trish, where are your manners?” I pulled her up.

“Sorry, Mrs Chapman.”

“That’s all right, Trish. Say, did your mum do a film about dormice?”

“Yeah, she wrote and directed it and presented it, she’s an expert on dormice even the school had her talk about them.”

“I saw that advertised, but you used a different name didn’t you?”

“I teach using my maiden name.” I said blushing furiously.

“Yeah, she’s Dr Watts or Lady Cameron,” threw in Trish embarrassing me even more.

“Lady Cameron? Goodness I am in esteemed company.”

“Yeah, we’ve got a castle up in Scotland...” prattled on Trish while I began to think if she didn’t shut up she was going to end up deader than that unfortunate brock.

“Bunnies,” I said trying to regain some control.

“Down here, Mummy,” she scampered off down the garden.

“My, you are special aren’t you, Lady Cameron?”

I pretended not to hear her and followed my offspring down the garden to a large shed inside which was a hutch with a glass panel in the nest box through which I could see a lop eared bunny with four little ones, all with their eyes closed, so they were very young.

We watched the devoted lagomorph caring for her babies for several minutes accompanied by sighs and gasps of various children.

On the return journey Trish announced she might like to try breeding rabbits and I just licked my lips. “What, Mummy?” she said spotting my obvious gesture.

“Just thinking, I haven’t had rabbit stew for ages.”

“Rabbit stew?” she gasped. “You can’t eat my bunnies, they’ll be pets.”

“Yeah, well if we let you have rabbits, the day you fail to look after them we have them for dinner.”

“But that’s not fair—you can’t eat my bunny.”

“You haven’t got one yet, and by the look of it, one of those big lop ears would probably feed all of us at least one meal—I’d have to ask David...”

“Noooo,” they both squealed from the back of the car.

“Perhaps, having rabbits isn’t such a good idea,” I suggested and they were beginning to agree. I didn’t tell them I’d had guinea pigs before so knew how to look after these things. It also reminded me of the story about a woman who lived next door to a family who had a white rabbit and one day while they were away her cat dragged in a dirty, dead, white rabbit. She was horrified and got her husband to hop over the fence to see if the rabbit was missing from next door. It was. The little corpse they had was filthy dirty so she washed it and dried it with her hairdryer and got her husband to place it back in the hutch before their neighbours came home, which he did.

A few days later her neighbour spoke to her over the fence. “We had a really strange thing happen last week. The rabbit died and the kids were naturally upset, but we buried it and put a cross on the grave and then took them off to the beach to help them deal with their grief, came home and somehow the rabbit was back in the hutch. Bizarre don’t you think?”

“Oh, is that my phone,” replied the cat’s owner and dashed indoors.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love the Rabbit Story

littlerocksilver's picture

I guess it had passed the Rigor Mortis stage. A failed resurrection methinks.

Portia

RABBIT RERUN'S

That's one to enshrine in my ha ha folder, thanks!!!

Huggles giggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

In the words of that

In the words of that "immortal philosopher" Bugs Bunny as he responds to the cat attack on a fellow rabbit. "Of course you know, this means war"?

The Cat

The Cat dug up the dead rabbit. LOL

G

Rabbit stew.

Some friends of ours were cycle-touring in France and booked into a typical small French family run hotel. Having secured a room they were asked what they would like for dinner and chose one based on roast rabbit because they hadn't eaten it for some time.

They asked if there was somewhere they could store their tandem and were shown to a large shed at the rear of the building. As they wheeled the bike inside their eyes were drawn to a large cage full of rabbits running around. Le patron asked them which rabbit they fancied for their meal! Thye changed their choice to beef :)

As vegetarians and Francophiles who visit France quite often we find eating out there something of problem :)

Robi

Haven't eaten...

Angharad's picture

francophiles for ages, it's good with fries (French naturally).

Angharad

don't forget

Maddy Bell's picture

the ketchup!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

No, No ...

... the best chips are in Flanders or the Netherlands. They're already half cooked and they finish them off to order to make dry, crisp and fresh then ... not ketchup, not salt 'n' vinegar but mayonnaise. Delicious - and we're off to the Netherlands in August and France before then some time.

Robi

My Father had a

rabbit experience he would rather have forgotten... Being a member of a family of eight food tended to be a bit similar ie whatever was cheapest at the time ... So one day he and his siblings were both surprised and delighted to have a meat they had not tasted before, Having sated their healthy appetites my father and his younger brother went out to feed their rabbits.... I think you can guess where this is going , Sufficient to say there numbers were reduced ... In my grandfathers defence i think its fair to remember that this happened in the 1930's, We may think times are difficult now, My dad assures me though they were far worse all those years ago...

Kirri

Yuck on the dead badger thing

and bunnies are nice pets till the kids get bored with them. Then they end up the parents responsibility. Good call Cathy.

now here's a weird coincidence

Maddy Bell's picture

When I was out riding on the way home from work last night, I decided to tempt fate despite the threat of rain, got drowned in a cloud burst and ended up in ill humour as I rode out of it ten minutes later grr! Anyway as I rode, surprisingly quickly up the strangely named Froggatt Edge (this after Curbar Gap and Owler Bar!)I passed a similarly deceased brock at the side of the road. Its not the first time I've seen an expired example, indeed I've seen live ones several times too but it never ceases to amaze me how big they are. You would certainly know about it if you hit it in anything less than a small truck.

The other potential road kill we seem to be having issues with hereabouts are Red Deer, there is a wild herd of at least 60 animals on the moors above the previously mentioned Owler Bar, 10km from home, they sometimes fearlessly congregate by the road. Apparently there have been several incidents in the last few months, a couple of which have resulted in free venison!

Talking of pets as a child I had a menagerie of animals, stick insects, hamsters, guinea pigs, rabbits, gerbils, assorted birds, the odd goldfish in the pond, there was a hedgehog once, frogs and the family dog. I always wanted mice but mum wouldn't let me because of their tails - don't ask, anyhow when I left home I got some mice. Now however, cute as they may look, I'm battling to get rid of the flippin' little buggers! Whilst it might be upsetting when a pet dies you need to be pragmatic, small rodents don't usually live more than a couple of years, I did have a hamster that made five but its the exception. So whilst I don't like seeing roadkill it doesn't really upset me.

I think Cathy needs to get some clucks for the kids, useful (eggs or emergency dinner) and it'd teach them something of animal husbandry that kids these days don't seem to get exposed to (you can't count a petting zoo or pets that the parents look after!) I literally had to forage for food for some of my collection, no one else was gonna clean them out, I even had to bury the deceased!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Unscrupulous b*stards

Angharad's picture

Will bait areas of road with things like jam sandwiches(I kid you not) which attract the deer and vans and cars do the slaughtering for them. What they forget, apart from it's illegal, stupid and extremely nasty, is that the drivers and passengers in cars could end up dead as well.

Deer are a pest in the wrong place, ask Dr Stone, but the only real vermin on this planet walk on two legs or drive cars.

Angharad

Wild life tales.

We live near a large country park where they have two large herds, one red deer & one fallow deer. Naturally there are two feral herds growing every year outside the park as animals escape. The second time our daughter went out to a teenaged party she was typically late coming home. (Aren't they always?)

Be home by ten! She was only fourteen and typically arrives late, Very late! after one in the morning.
Mum and dad fretting in the family home, phoning the party house. (No she left at ten thirty.) Father now cruising the streets like a demented ferret looking in every blind alley etc, etc.

Finally Dad is back home at house fretting with Mother when there is suddenly a deafening shriek in the drive.
I discover said daughter sat in the peonies by the porch giggling stupidly and definitely a bit drunk.
"Why did you shriek?!" Demands I.
She grins stupidly and points to the bottom of the drive.
"That just bumped into me."
"There at the bottom of the drive stands a red deer (Fortunately hornless (or Antlerless.)) shaking his or her hoof and staring belligerently up the drive.
"What the hell happened?" Demand I.
"It knocked my over cos' I startled him by trying to creep home silently so as not to wake you."
"You stupid girl!!! get to bed - NOW!"
Daughter grounded until fifteen (ten months later).
Deer are a pest around us, they ruin people's vegetable gardens; invariably in the middle of the night..

bev_1.jpg

Pets and critters

Podracer's picture

Brother and I when very young weren't good conscientious rabbit keepers, I took better care of spiders and a slow worm later on though. My missus kept various rabbit breeds for a while, one ill tempered example (Bad Boris) hung on her bare arm by his teeth once, and thus he became Sunday dinner soon afterwards.
Not so many roadkill badgers here, but roe deer, hare, rabbit and hedgehogs. At 70 on a motorcycle running ones foot into a hare is quite a memorable experience, the hare I cycled past this morning looked at me distrustfully but didn't run. She'd obviously estimated my speed capability and dismissed me as a threat.

"Reach for the sun."