Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2352

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2352
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The weekend came and went with the fine weather we spent much of the time outdoors, the girls in bikinis or shorts and crop tops and me covered up with tons of high factor sun blocker. “Why don’t you put your bikini on as well, babes.”

“Darling, I’m too old to be strutting my stuff in a swim suit, especially when there’s no water nearby. I’d just look silly.”

“What? You look brilliant in a bikini.”

“Too bad.” I said going back indoors to help David with the lunch. Tom did find and assemble the paddling pool but there was a large tear in it. Si helped him take it down again.

“Why can’t we have a proper swimming pool, Daddy?” asked Trish.

“Because they cost too much to run and your mother would be angry at the amount of water they need to fill them, the chemicals they need to keep them clean and all the other incidentals like having it built.”

“But you’ve got plenty of money?” she fired back.

“I wouldn’t if I listened to you, young lady.”

She made some sort of dismissive noise and went off up the garden.

“I agree with your reply wholeheartedly,” I said handing him a cup of tea.

“Good,” was his reply and he sipped his tea while I went inside to drink mine.

The Sunday was actually the warmest day, living up to its epithet. The girls were once again in very skimpy clothing and rubbing sun blocker into each other. Even Daddy was in shorts, giving us a wonderful view of his varicose veins. I had on a sun dress.

Simon and Daddy had decided to do a barbecue for lunch, David having got the stuff for them in the week. This wasn’t burgers and sausage but steak and onions with wholemeal baps and a salad I’d made up while they were lighting the barbecue.

I’d been tempted to part cook all the meat but Si refused, telling me he knew all about barbecues and making sure the food was properly cooked. This was news to me and I decided I’d have a cheese and salad roll instead.

The rest of them told me I didn’t know what I was missing and they tucked into their steaks with gay abandon. It was too hot to do any chores, so I did some survey stuff and then looked at the script I’d written for the harvest mouse. He’d managed to do some filming and all I needed to do was some voice-overs and some shooting of me in similar looking fields plus some of actual fields where the harvest mice were, showing a disused nest and so on. These things are so small they make dormice look huge and they’re not very big.

I was so busy with my script trying to visualise the sort of backdrop it needed or if I could just do a narration when Meems came in grumbling about a funny tummy. A short while later she was sick, followed an hour later by Trish, then Cate, then Stella’s two, Danni, Phoebe and Daddy. Simon and Julie somehow were unaffected as was Stella—who hadn’t had a burger just a salad roll.

The probable diagnosis was food poisoning through incomplete cooking. Simon insisted that if were true, how come he wasn’t affected? I had no idea, there were obvious reasons, perhaps some meat had been infected and not other packs.

As David had got the meat for us, Simon went over to his cottage to read the riot act, except David wasn’t there, he’d taken Ingrid and Hannah off for the day. I got advice on looking after my patients and providing they didn’t dehydrate, they’d be okay in a day or two. My main fears were the youngsters but they pulled out of it quicker than the older children.

When David came back he sent the packets the meat had been sent in to the public health lab and asked them to see what had happened. We suspected salmonella but would have been wrong, campylobacter was the culprit and we had a couple of very messy and uncomfortable days. At one point I sent Si into an ironmongers to get some more plastic buckets—it was that bad.

Of course they were too sick to go to school who didn’t want them there just in case they were still infectious. Only their humour was.

I had to take time off work to look after them, Stella was advised she might carry bugs so was told to stay home as well. Jacquie missed all the fun. She’d been at Southampton doing some bits for her course. Was she glad and was I pleased to have her back, Stella was still next to useless. I tried to point out that looking after sick people was a nurse’s job and she nearly bit my head off.

“I’m a clinical specialist nurse, don’t do basic care.”

I felt like telling her that I was a doctor but of ecology, not medicine and I needed her help. If she didn’t know how to do the basics, I was sure I could find someone to show her. That finally worked and in three days all of them were better and able to start light diets.

The weather broke on the Monday night with flashes and bangs as a celestial firework display entertained us for an hour. It certainly became cooler and I was quite glad to return to a few more clothes, donning jeans and a thicker top.

Pippa called once or twice and I had to go and collect papers for Tom to sign. He took the longest to recover but then he is the eldest by some margin. Pippa then called to say the network went down—the whole university, that is, before she called to say it was thought to have been caused by a Russian or Chinese attack. It seems they want different things, the Russians want to cause chaos and the Chinese want secrets.

I can remember my father grumbling that various governments were giving all our technology away or selling it. And it was interesting to see the US giant Pfizer’s attempt to buy AstraZeneca was declined by the board of the UK-Swedish company despite amounts being mentioned that to me sounded more like the numbers astronomers talk about. It was all about the US company trying to dodge some taxes by relocating to the UK, but concerns about the takeover involving loss of research funding and drug development meant politicians and doctors seemed against it.

The downside was that seven billion pounds were wiped off the share price once the bid was rejected. That’s almost as much as Simon earns a week—only joking.

I think I was relieved it didn’t happen, the takeover, I mean. The UK has already lost some of its expertise in the research and development in new drugs, so it was important to protect this company. I assume Pfizer will have to pay its taxes or find another company to attack. I’ll stick to dormice I think.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Americans are fond

Of acquiring things but fail miserably at management. It's like a hive collapse hit the middle level drones stopping all the good ones in there tracks. Now all we have are overly aggressive morons with no people skills, These folks are chosen from a pool of people who could not manage there personal hygiene even if Wolverines had any.

Good call to refusing the offer by your Government. The last thing the world needs is to have another medical provided added as a charm on some executives wife's bracelet.

Huggles

Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Agree

Of course the rich or rich wannabes of the Republican party would not raise a finger to block such a deal or change the laws to make such a deal unpalatable in the first place. Pfizer IIRC is not the best company in first place and have had more than its share of dirtiness. Pfizer will just have to buy some smaller rinky-dink company to accomplish the same goal in transferring the new corporate headquarters overseas. But ultimately they will have a hard time finding another suitable rich target to rape and pillage at the same time. Hopefully this means Pfizer will finally pay their fair share despite the whining of the Republican party that corporate tax rate is too high. On paper the US corporate is high but the reality is that most companies already find so many tax dodges that they don't even come close to paying their fair share.

American Enterprise...

Puddintane's picture

...is second to none in managing Congress and the laws under which it collectively operates. Who needs expertise in actually producing things when one can make just as much money producing loopholes? It's a whole lot cheaper to buy a legislator – even a few dozen of them – than it is to build a factory.

--------

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
–– Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Never understood the point ...

... of barbecues when there's a perfectly good oven/grill etc in a nearby kitchen. I suppose it's the remnants of a primitive urge to light fires - perhaps it's because I don't eat meat that I find them so pointless :) Cathy was very wise not to indulge.

Robi

The point of barbecues...

Puddintane's picture

...is the fire. There's a certain primitive satisfaction in producing one's vittles just as our ancient ancestors did, huddled around a ten-thousand dollar brick barbecue with electric rotisserie, electronic temperature control, and automatic grill lifter.

Plus, it's an excellent excuse to stand around drinking beer straight from the bottle. No sissy glasses for cavemen!

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

New York Steak

Poor children. People often do get ill at barbies, though for me it has been the potato salad or badly cleaned salad.

Tonight I will have 4 oz of New York Steak done medium rare, rice and veggies. Yum.

Gwen

For what it's worth...

Pfizer already has an Research & Development (R&D) lab in the UK - in Sandwich, Kent. I had the pleasure of visiting that site back in the mid '90s. And, it seems Pfizer's got a bunch going on in Cambridge. So, they're still doing real research there in the UK. Personally - I enjoyed working with the Pfizer of the '90s than the much larger company it became through acquisitions.

Sad the meat was bad... Generally grilled meat is quite good (flavor wise), assuming the grillers have a clue and know what to do with it. :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Take-Over * All That

I wish I were allowed to comment on the Pfizer take-over attempt, but unfortunately I am not allowed to owing to having had to sign a Non-Disclosure agreement.

Now that is possibley too much said already, so I better shut up now.

Nice comment on it, Angharad.

Briar

Canada has lost pretty well all drug research

Julia Miller's picture

by the large drug companies. They petitioned the government for patent protection for new drugs against generic drugs, citing research costs, and when they got it, they all moved their research out of Canada. Next time around I hope the government remembers... It's a known fact they spend more on advertising than research.