Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2360

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2360
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Out of pure curiosity I checked the paper’s archive and in five or ten minutes had found a picture of me receiving said award. Thankfully, the write up accompanying it was short and just gave my name as, ‘Charlotte Watts receiving the award for best amateur actor in the Bristol area from Evening Post editor Bill Cosgrave.’

That Mr Whitehead had missed that one surprised me a little, unless it was lost. I printed off a picture from it and stared at it. I really did look like the school girl I was supposed to be. Perhaps my acting was better than I thought, I certainly looked better than I remembered, though it was a black and white photo from those days.

David called us to dinner and I left the photo on the desk. As expected the meal was sumptuous, we’re so lucky to have him here. Tonight was a chicken he’d marinated in a garlic and cider liquor then put it in a light flour dressing flash frying it in a very hot oil and serving with fried rice and vegetables—mainly sweetcorn, peas and peppers. Danni smothered hers in tomato ketchup—seems that David’s genius is wasted at times. She ate it all with relish—nah it was tomato sauce—I know.

Simon was wandering about looking for something. “Did you get a letter from your P.A., Cindy or whatever she’s called?”

“Don’t think so, why?”

“They want to set up appointments for interviews for two assistant managers, one for ecological, the other for building improvements. When you’ve appointed them, they’ll work to a schedule we’ll give them from the board via you as director of that department.”

“Right,” was what I said, what I felt was, oh bugger, I’m too busy.”

“She’ll set some criteria for advertising the posts and we’ll recruit over the next couple of months with interviews in August, say.”

“Fine.”

“Well, get off that lovely bum and find the frigging letter.”

“Yes boss.” I stood up to attention and saluted him before running away in case he caught me. In the study, I was rootling through the stuff on my desk when he came in.

“Found it yet?”

“Does it look like it?”

“What’s this?” He picked up the photo I’d printed off. “Charlotte Watts? Your sister is it?” he joked knowing my history.

“Yeah, my evil twin sister, good job you married me, she’d have bankrupted you by now.”

“Why’s that?”

“She’s a notorious child star who’s very self indulgent and generally selfish.”

“Sounds interesting, is she as sexy as you?”

“Meee? I’m not sexy.”

“Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder.”

“I think you might need an optician.”

“So you keep telling me—now about this ’ere twin sister,” he waved the picture about, “Is she sexy or not?”

“How would I know?”

“I thought twins were supposed to be close.”

Yeah, in this case very close. “Don’t be silly, Si.”

I looked at me emails when there appeared to be nothing in an envelope for me regarding the board. There it was. “It’s an email not a letter.”

“Well I was close—now about introducing me to your sister...”

He eventually got bored with the idea of me having a twin and sloped off leaving the photo on my desk, I was busy dealing with the stuff Cindy had sent me. There was a light tap on the door and in walked Danielle.

“Hello, sweetheart,” I said looking up from the computer screen.

“Mummy, next weekend, could we—oh what’s this? Charlotte Watts? This is you, isn’t it, Mummy. When you were a girl.”

“Yes, it’s me.”

“Why didn’t you stick to Charlotte?”

“I preferred Catherine.”

“But you made me stay as Danielle.”

“I asked you about that when we changed your name to Cameron.”

“Yeah, well it was a bit late then.”

“You can change your name any time you wish, you just go to a solicitor and sign a statutory declaration giving your new name. What did you want to change it to?”

“Dunno, haven’t thought about it for ages.”

“Well if you do, provided it’s not something ridiculous, I’ll come with you to see a solicitor to do it.”

“Yeah, okay.”

“That wasn’t what you came for, was it?”

“Uh no.”

“So what was it?”

“Oh yeah—next Friday or Saturday, can I do a sleepover with a couple of girls?”

“Here, you mean?”

“Yeah,” she rolled her eyes.

“Who?”

“Carly and Cindy.”

“You mean Carly Grimshaw?”

“Yeah, who else?”

“You’ve obviously seen her again?”

“No, she phoned me last night.”

“Why?”

“She likes me.”

“She knows what happened to you?”

“Yeah, course she does, they sent Pia away to a secure unit, didn’t they?”

“I thought she liked you as a boy.”

“Well, I’m still the same really, aren’t I?”

“Danielle, you are not the same person—to start with you’re a female now. I don’t recall Dan wearing bras and makeup, do you?”

“No, I s’pose not. But I’m still me.”

“Sweetheart, we all change with time. Those of us who change our genders change more than most people, to start with the hormones can affect the way that you think or feel as well as your physical body. You’ve learned to live as a girl even beginning to think as one.”

“Am I?” she blushed.

“Well not many boys would ask for a sleepover.”

“I s’pose not.”

“As long as you keep it wholesome, and invite Trish and Liv, yes you can.”

“Invite two kids? They’ll spoil it all.”

“How will they spoil it?”

“They’re little kids.”

“They’re nine years old.”

“That’s what I mean, little kids.”

“Do I have your word there’ll be no hanky panky?”

“What with? They cut it off—remember?”

Cindy was still technically male physically, though she’d been on hormones for a couple of years—so it shouldn’t prove an issue. With three of them it should prove harder for anyone to do much as the third would be playing gooseberry, should be safe enough. “On one condition.”

“What’s that?”

“If you’re doing anything I don’t approve of, we either stop it or you’ll have Trish and Livvie join you.”

“I s’pose so.”

“Those are my best terms, take ’em or leave ’em.”

“Okay.”

“Better ask the two girl’s mums call me so I know they approve.”

“Okay,” she rolled her eyes again and sighed.

“I can always say no.”

“No—I’ll ask them to call you.”

“Which was what I asked. Look, sweetheart, while they’re here with us, I’m responsible for their safety and wellbeing. I take that responsibility very seriously and hope other parents do the same when my children are in their houses. You might think you’re all grown up, but the law says otherwise and we have to accept it. All right?”

“Yes, Mummy.”

“Don’t I get a hug for allowing you to manipulate me?”

She bent down and hugged me.

“This was Carly’s idea, wasn’t it?”

“No, we thought of it together,” she said blushing furiously.

“I thought so. Now you see why I have to be careful.”

“Why?”

“I wonder what she’s really up to.”

“Nothing, honestly.”

Wish I could believe you, kiddo.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
196 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Plotting.

Seems like Danielle is plotting summat.

Good story Ang,

Still lovin' it.

x

bev_1.jpg

Everyone manipulates....

Rhona McCloud's picture

...and nobody is always aware of when they are doing it. If we were maybe we could never be manipulated or write fiction/autobiographies

Rhona McCloud

As Danny and Carly were close... I see a few possiblites

Revenge for Pia's plight?

No way!

Carly was attracted to Danny and Pia ruined that

I suspect the two gals want to help Danielle adapt.

OR one/both want to experiment with being a lesbian. They are teens and discovering who they are. They might see Danniele as safe because she used to be a fairly manly boy. Thus in a weird way sexual eperimentation with her would be hetero.

Or they just like and miss her as a person.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Not sure i would

totally trust Carly, Cathy certainly needs to her eye on them, As for Danni, Well she is entering unknown territory, As she has discovered over the last few months girls play by a different set of rules, Yes they can be more supportive towards each other, But fall out with one of your girlfriends and unlike boys who will settle things in their own way and then forget about it, Girls will get catty, not speak and generally hit at each other on an emotional level.... Danni seems to be looking forward to the sleepover i hope she is not disappointed..

Kirri

Agree with you

Could be setting Danni up for emotional disaster. Lets hope it's all good. We don't want to see Danni having another setback.

Fascinating

Fascinating turn of events... Danni's one mixed kid - still. I hope the event works out as well as is hoped!

Fun learning more bits and pieces of Cathy's back story... Wonder if we'll see some of Simon's one day.

Thanks,
Annette