Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2367

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2367
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I like to think I’m not given to self pity, but then we all think it only happens to other people. I sat in my broom cupboard feeling like the world was ending in April. How could Daddy retire? He’s always been there, so why can’t he always be there? Because he’s old and wants to do something else with his life than run a busy department and cope with a house full of lunatics. Oh poo, do we need to think about moving to give him some time to himself?

I felt in limbo not knowing what to do, I couldn’t stop him retiring it’s a fait accompli and I have no right to. I just feel bereft, like I’d lost something or somebody important. Work wise I suppose I have. I sent Si a text, I wanted to talk to someone but I couldn’t; I couldn’t bear to talk to anyone, I’d just burst into tears. I felt that sad. All I’d tried to do in my academic career seemed irrelevant now, I felt like my career was over without Tom to look over me. I’d never have such freedom again, no one would be that indulgent—they couldn’t, not in today’s environment.

I decided I’d probably resign then as well, perhaps continue making films or I could even set up my own business doing ecological surveys. I couldn’t stay at home and play the aristocrat’s wife, not my scene at all despite a suspicion that Simon would like me to. I’m emancipated which means I choose my own destiny or something like that.

I was still contemplating my future when a student knocked on my door, “Yes,” I called out.

“Sorry to disturb you, Dr Watts.”

A very young looking boy stood there.

“Yes?”

“I was advised to come and see you.”

“About what?”

“It’s a personal matter, I’m afraid.”

“Personal to you or me?”

“It’s personal to me, Dr Watts.”

I sighed. “Are you on one of my courses?”

“Um, no.”

“Who told you to come and see me?”

“The vice principal.”

“You’d better come in and shut the door.”

“Thank you,” he blushed at me, sitting beside my desk in the only free chair in my room.

“Right, before you tell me anything, I need to establish some boundaries. I’ll listen to your issue but I won’t guarantee to act or advise you regarding it. If it’s something illegal or potentially harmful to you or anyone else I reserve the right to contact the appropriate authority. Those are my terms, do you accept them?”

“Yes,” he said nodding. He looked very nervous.

“Water?” I asked.

He nodded, “Please.” I handed him a bottle from the pack I’d bought earlier and took one myself. I waited while he composed himself and took off the jacket he was wearing. He was sweating through his shirt, but it was a fairly warm day and he was running on pure adrenalin.

“When you’re ready,” I gently prodded him.

“I was told to come and see you because you’ve helped people in my situation before.” His speech was rapid and it took a few moments to decipher what he’d actually said.

“Have I?” I asked laconically and he nodded. “And what situation is that?”

“This really difficult,” he said the sweat running down his face. I didn’t dare tell him it wasn’t just for him that that was true. If he didn’t believe me, he could always try it. Of course I knew what was coming. They only send them to me for one reason. When I leave they’ll have to find someone else to do their dirty work for them—sounds like April is already feeling easier.

He stuttered and stumbled and my patience felt like it was on a very short fuse and this guy had lit it as soon as he entered. What’s he waiting for? I glanced at my watch and he stood up, “I can see you’re busy, I’ll come back again.”

“Sit down,” I said assertively. He floundered and sat back in the chair. “What’s your name?”

“Carl. Carl Hawkins.”

“Okay, Carl, take a deep breath and tell me slowly, what’s troubling you.”

He nodded.

He took a huge breath and I felt sure he’d sucked all the oxygen out of the room. “I—uh—um. I can’t tell you.”

“Why not?”

“It’s too—um.”

“Too private?” I prompted.

He nodded.

“Is it a health issue, like some illness you have or...”

He shook his head.

“Providing it’s nothing illegal or harmful to anyone else, you can tell me in confidence.”

“Th—th—thank you.” He sipped some more water and we waited.

I had exactly an hour before I had to collect my girls. I wanted him to spit it out so I could direct him to student health and be done with it. There are so many transgender sorts around Portsmouth these days I feel like an outsider or old fogey as they’re all younger than I am. So come on, kiddo, spit it out then you can get even more embarrassed and I can calm you down while making an appointment with student health.

“Which course are you doing?”

“Education, I’m training to be a teacher.”

Oops, not the best career if you’re tg and the Daily Wail still has outraged readers or should that be, the Daily Wail has outrageous readers?

“So what’s this issue that get a student teacher all het up? A shortage of chalk, perhaps?”

“We don’t use chalk anymore, it’s all white boards.”

“Yes, I know.”

“Of course you do; I’m sorry, Dr Watts.”

“Sorry for what?”

“Wasting your time.”

“That would only be so if you didn’t tell me after teasing me for half an hour.”

“I’m sorry.” He was almost in tears.

“You shouldn’t wear a bra with a white tee shirt, you know.” I offered trying to break the ice. He glowed so red I felt sure we could have started a fission reactor.

He stood up, “I’m sorry,” he said turning to the door.

“Carl or is it Carly, please sit down and let’s get this sorted.”

He didn’t so much sit as slump in the chair and began sobbing. I hate it when that happens. I sent Stella text to ask her or Jacquie to go and get the girls. He looked at me strangely. I explained what I was doing and again told him to sit.

“When did you know you were different?” I asked trying to draw him out a little.

“When I was about ten,” he wiped his eyes on the tissue I offered him.

“What would you like to do?”

“Be rid of this non being and either be an ordinary man or woman.”

“So if I had a pill that could make you an ordinary man, you’d take it?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

I fiddled in my bag and pulled out a paracetamol and placed it on the desk. “It just so happens I have one,” and indicated the white tablet lying on a paper on my desk. “As soon as you take it you’ll lose the desire for girlish things, so you’ll have to dump all the stuff you’ve collected over the years, including the books. You’ll never again want to wear lingerie or high heels or makeup or call yourself by a feminine name. Still want to take it?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
206 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Difficult Choice, or Is It an Easy One

littlerocksilver's picture

What I am is who I am. If you take something away, I am no longer me. If he takes the pill, what does it mean. If I were that age, I would be looking for a different pill. Certainly not that one. I can't imagine erasing that part of me.

Portia

I have often prayed, or wished, or cried to the heavens.....

D. Eden's picture

How ever you want to refer to it - for a pill that would make me one or the other. I am neither fish or good red meat as the saying goes, but rather stuck in between.

Emotionally and intellectually I know I am a woman, yet physically I am still a man.

My preference, and I believe this young man will agree, is to become that which I know in my heart I truly am - a woman. However, like him, I would settle to be all one way or the other if I could simply live my life without the disphoria of being neither, yet both. Without the anguish of knowing I don't fit anywhere. Without the longing to be whole.

Cathy is simply forcing him to make that decision. Something it took me decades to do. I wish I had been given the opportunity and had found someone to help me through my confusion and angst.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Now, let's not go there.

Things can look pretty bleak. Just hang in there, it will get better. Promise.

Gwen

Not sound evolutionary thinking.

The whole idea that we are either male or female is seriously flawed both scientifically and socially. So the kid is hovering around the mid line and does not know which side he is on. According to modern evidence, the child knows between 4 and 10 and most certainly by 6.

In my own mind I am about the most feminine woman on the planet, but I am likely not that girly at all.

So, another on bites the dust. He is fortunate that Cathy is there to give him counseling. It will be a long, hard journey.

Gwen

Oh, myyy

Talk about difficult.

Taking that pill would make a person a different person than they are. As much easier as so many things would have been, I don't know if I'd have wanted to take that pill six years ago. Today, I'm sure I wouldn't. Six/Seven years ago, I'd have been very torn - but I might well have taken the pill out of the mistaken belief that my family would have been better. I'd considered other things...

This kid's got quite a tough road...

Cathy's got some career thinking to do as well... So many possibilities lay ahead. She's already a major over-achiever (film/documentary; teacher; bank director; talking head (though she'd not had that many opportunities); etc.) not to mention parenthood.

Thanks,
Annette (playing hooky from work)

There are changes

... and then there are Changes and any pill who would do such a fundamental Change must give one pause. This Change would be too fundamental to identity. Each person must weigh the pros and cons, even if the technology was available, to make such a drastic change eg going from being gay to being straight. Unfortunately having the tech to make a gay persons straight or a T-person, non-T places an unfair burden on that poor soul as that IS what they are coming out of the shoot so to speak.

This young person who can't

This young person who can't decide whether he is a she or she is a he, has had Cathy take his/her indecision or non-decision life style and via the offered pill told him/her "it is time to fish or cut bait". My belief is the answer to Cathy's last question will be an emphatic NO! I say this because 'Carly' is wearing a bra and most likely knickers right at this moment, and that alone will be the defining decision maker.

Whew, Cathy is taking a pretty

tough approach on this one. Wonder why. She's usually much more compassionate.

In spite of it all,

all the pain, and all the frustrations on never being able to transition, put that pill in front of me and I would react as if someone sat a cobra in front of me.