Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2326

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2326
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

As we drove home I wondered if Dr Downes had really listened to what I’d said or just been polite in humouring me. Trish looked at me, “What are you thinking about, Mummy?”

“Sorry, sweetheart,” I smiled at her and her face lit up.

“What were you thinking about, Mummy; you looked ever so serious.”

“Did I? I was thinking about whether someone listened when I gave them a warning.”

“Was that Dr Downes?”

“It was, how did you know?”

“You went off to talk to him while I was dressing.”

“But that could have been about anything.”

She smiled disarmingly and coupled it with a look which said, ‘Pull the other one.’

“Okay, so I was warning him to ride carefully on his motorbike.”

“Did you see him have an accident?”

“Yes,” I blushed, this kid can read my mind.

“I saw it too, Mummy, with a big lorry.”

I pulled into our drive and parked. “Don’t tell anyone you have these visions, okay?”

“But if it helps them keep safe, Mummy.”

“Okay, be very careful who you tell because others may think you’re weird.”

“What like a witch?”

“Yes, exactly that.”

“So why did you tell Dr Downes?”

“I owed somebody a favour and I think that was what they wanted in return.”

“The gold lady?”

Jeez, she’s done it again. “Yes.”

“Was that for saving me?”

“No, I borrowed a cup of sugar from her last week. C’mon, the others will be waiting to jump all over you.”

“We’ve got plenty of sugar, Mummy.”

“Must have been something else then.”

I almost dragged her into the house where they all hugged and jumped up and down, with much squealing and waving of arms—and that was just Stella. Okay, it wasn’t her but she did point at the kettle and I nodded. She made tea while the others went off to the lounge, my caution to Trish to rest fell on stony ground.

“For someone who’s just had meningitis, she looks remarkably well.”

“So, she’s a quick healer.”

“Or you are.”

“Yeah, the miracle healer went into her while I was in the loo.”

“Cathy, she’s one lucky girl.”

“Okay, so I shortened the odds a bit in her favour.”

“A bit?”

“Yeah, a big bit—satisfied now?”

“You’ve probably performed more miracles than Jesus.”

“Don’t be silly, I don’t perform miracles and I suspect if he existed, he didn’t either.”

“Yes he did, he turned water into wine.”

“That could be a mass hallucination brought about by suggestion.”

“Like hypnosis?”

“Yes, the same with the feeding of the five thousand.”

“If you could do the same, we all lose a bit of weight.”

“Stella behave.”

She sniggered. “You have awful problems about religion, don’t you?”

“I’ve told you about my parents ramming it down my throat every chance they had and the bible thumpers who preached at our church, it was all hell and damnation.”

“And you were at an impressionable age, so you’ve done really well to question it.”

“I’m glad I did or I could have been screwed up for ever more and still sitting in my bedsit fretting.”

“Maybe me knocking you off your bike was an act of God, then?”

“I doubt it.”

“It could have been, they say He works in mysterious ways.”

“Mysterious not devious.”

“Nah that’s you, he’s definitely the tall dark and mysterious sort.”

“How d’you know?”

“I done Sunday school too, Miss Smartie pants.” She said this in a real Pompey accent and sounded like a fishwife.

“Did you ever go up the Tor at Glastonbury when you were at school?”

“Yeah, loads of times, we used to go up there for a drink an’ a ciggy.”

“You didn’t smoke did you?” I was horrified.

“Nah, tried it a couple of times made me cough; you?”

“Don’t be silly, my dad would have killed me.”

“And you were too girly to try it, be honest.”

“How d’ya guess?”

“Elementary, my dear Watson.”

“He never said that.”

“Who?”

“Sherlock.”

“What are you on about?”

“You said, ‘Elementary, my dear Watson.’ He never said it in any of the stories.”

“So what?”

“I was just saying, that’s all.”

“Oh while you were out there was some transwoman on the radio complaining about using public loos.”

“Why are they dirty or something?”

“No, apparently they have a problem in the US and well I suppose it filled up a quiet day.”

“Quiet day? There’s that plane still missing, that ferry capsized in South Korea and Putin’s playing brinksmanship with Nato—nah, nothing much happened compared to someone not being able to use the right bog.”

“I thought it was an issue for all yo—um trans people.”

“I think it might be for those who are a bit too masculine to pass very well, though I don’t remember hearing anything about it much.”

“You wouldn’t would you? You weren’t a member of any group, were you?”

“No, but it gets in the local paper.”

“It would round here, that’s for sure.”

“There was that awful clip on Youtube of that girl in America getting beaten up by two women in a McDonalds when she went to the loo. That stirred things up a bit here, and I suspect the legislation we’ve had here would make it more difficult to involve the police.”

“Still happens according to the woman on the radio.”

“I haven’t experienced it, neither have Julie, Trish, Danni or Sammi.”

“Because you all pass really well as female.”

“They do, certainly.”

“We’re not playing games again, Cathy; besides I’m surprised you weren’t kicked out of the gents before you transitioned.”

“I was a few times. The first time was when I was still at school, Siân and I went shopping at the Horsefair in Bristol, we went for coffee and she went off to the ladies and I went to the gents and some old chap told me quite sweetly I was in the wrong loo. As he was watching me I had to use the ladies.”

“And no one challenged you?”

“Only Siân, she came out of the cubicle as I walked into the ladies so I had her cubicle. She thought it was hilarious.”

“I’ll bet. I take it you had your long hair in those days?”

“Yeah, but it was only shoulder length. Lots of boys had long hair.”

“Lots of boys don’t have your feminine features or they would have problems in the gents.”

“A la Danny and Peter?”

“Exactly.”

“On one occasion I went with my parents somewhere on the motorway, we stopped for a drink and a wee. Well they went for a wee, I went to get a newspaper to read about the latest stage on the Tour de France, the Guardian carries a daily report. I went to go in the gents and this woman cleaner or caretaker stopped me and said, ‘That way, young lady.’ I was so embarrassed I did as she instructed me and managed to avoid my mum. Boy, did I get hot and bothered that day.”

“But that was all that happened?”

“Yeah, fortunately.”

“And you were in boy mode?”

“Yeah.” I felt myself getting hot.

“Sounds like one of your Gaby stories.”

“Gee, thanks, Stella.” Her response was a cackle.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Questioning the faiths.

Those lines strike a chord.

“I’ve told you about my parents ramming it down my throat every chance they had and the bible thumpers who preached at our church, it was all hell and damnation.”

“And you were at an impressionable age, so you’ve done really well to question it.”

I never thought of it as a challenge or a success to have questioned their bigotry and cruelty ... in my own mind I hasten to add! I soon learned not to voice my thoughts.

For me the real achievement was to have come out of it the other end with my sanity intact, my questions unanswered and my physical wellbeing fairly sound.

I'm only now finding answers after sixty two years. (I'm sixty eight.)

bev_1.jpg

TED talks

I subscribe to Ted Talks [ technology education development ] and I have found a few of there topic talks of interest to us in the community. For those who have not had the pleasure to hear or see on of the presenters TED has several gatherings every year where the best minds on given subject is given up to 18 min presentation to an audience of people who look to see how to make things better, rather than throwing up there hands saying ll is doom.

DR Norman Spack:How I help transgender teens become who they want to be TEDxBeaconStreet 2013 · 16:53 · Filmed Nov 2013 Did such a presentation in November 2013 and it was put upon the email I received a couple of days ago. He is a very forward thinking person who is on the cutting edge of treatment in this country.

http://www.ted.com/talks/norman_spack_how_i_help_transgender... I think this link will get you to the talk but if it does not work just go to TED Talks and it will be among the latest 5 or so.

These presentation gives me lots of hope for tomorrow on a lot of different subjects. It is just this one is a good segway to introduce the rest of you tho this.

Huggles
Michele

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

The Restroom Question.

janet_L.'s picture

Some people rush their transition. Like transition this very minute or die, and so have extreme problems with things like restrooms and dressing rooms.

I probably did the opposite: I was on hormones for over two years before I transitioned full time and my electrologist was clearing my face every week, and the only place that wasn't pretty sparse was a small area in the shadow of my chin – and being in my mid-fifties, a little facial hair showing didn't set anyone off. . .

I never got kicked out of the men's room when I was in boy mode, but there were more than a few who did a double take and checked and made sure they were going in the right door. And I have NEVER been questioned in the Ladies, despite being nearly six feet tall and rather barrel chested. Of course I am pretty fine boned and have small hands and feet even for a woman that height. . .

An acquaintance, who is a low-level supervisor at a warehouse club, said one of his people came to him saying “There's a woman in the men's room!” Now, he'd noticed me come in earlier and described me to the guy and explained about transition, and I wasn't quite there yet. I guess that's the closest I came to getting thrown out of a restroom.

I find it interesting that

I find it interesting that Cathy did not appear overly sensitive regarding her transgenderism talk with Stella, as she seems to be if she is having a similar conversation with Simon.
I am wondering if it just might be because it is two women talking to each other, and Stella has known Cathy's background from "day 1", so Cathy doesn't feel threatened?
Regardless of what it is, it is a very interesting conversation indeed.

A lovely Episode

It was lovely to read the banter between Cathy and Stella. The love they have for each other shows in the freedom to express and question each other.

Cathy is lucky to have had a knowledge of religion, force fed or not, which makes her able to return dogma with other apposite references.

Funny as well as thought provoking, not an easy task. Well done Ang.

Love to all

Anne G.

Trish seems to

be following her mother in more than having a similar start to life, First it was the blue light now she seems to have Cathys ability to sense problems, Always seems a shame to me that whilst Cathy can diagnose other peoples ailments she is unable to do so for her children in quite the same way, You only have to think of Billie to see what i mean...

Kirri

The story...

The story about the public facilities on the motor way...Similar happened to me - pre transition...

I came out of a stall, and was washing my hands... And, a little boy asked his daddy "why is that lady in the boys bathroom?" (We three were the only ones in the facility at the time.) The daddy's response was "probably because she had to go really bad and the ladies room was full"... And, I was trying to pretend to be a guy (as I was traveling in the Mountains of Tennessee at the time...

Annette

Bike 2325

Hello:

You say that this is a work of fiction, so I will not press you on that. To anyone who is searching for reason and is a bit open minded, reading this story again has been most beneficial.

I retain my faith in the Creator, but increasingly there is a blank spot in it for me. Then I read an article on Quantum Physics the other day and it actually made sense to me. I've never been bright at maths and failed Calculus 2 and flunked out of Engineering School. So it was astonishing to me that I could understand any part of the Physics discipline. In fact, everything that I read about it makes sense and the physicists seem to be filling in the blank spots in theology for me.

I'm firmly convinced that when Theology and Science stop battering away at each other everything will be much better.

Blessings

Gwen Boucher