Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2324

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2324
by Angharad

Copyright© 2014 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I awoke about six o’clock the next morning. I was in my nightdress and panties. Simon was lying beside me fast asleep. I slipped out of bed, went to the loo and showered then grabbed some clothes and dressed in the bathroom, combed my hair and nipped downstairs.

I was quite surprised I had the place to myself, normally Tom was up at this time getting ready to walk the dog. I checked, Kiki was still fast asleep in her bed. I made myself a cuppa and went into my study. I needed to think, why had Trish contracted the virus? Why couldn’t I help her directly? Was she going to recover without any lasting damage?

I’d formulated the questions, but I had no idea of the answers nor knew of anyone who would. I sipped my tea. I’d closed the study door because I didn’t want to be disturbed yet I had a feeling that I was being watched. I didn’t want to give into it but almost mechanically my head turned round to look behind me. There just inside a closed door stood a beautiful woman bathed in a golden light which seemed to pulsate.

“Milady,” I said not being able to think what else to say. I slowly stood up expecting it to have disappeared and for me to feel even more unstable. Instead she was still there and when I bowed, she acknowledged my act of subordination.

“You asked me to come,” she said in my head.

“I did?” I gasped confused.

“You had questions.”

“Oh yes, they relate to my daughter who is gravely ill. I need your help, milady, to save her.”

“It’s annoying that you only summon me to ask favours.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way.”

“So am I, Catherine.”

“Will you help me, milady?”

“Why should I?”

“Because you’re a female and you don’t wish to see children suffer and she is likely to serve you in the future.”

“I hope she does a better job than her mother.”

“I apologise for my shortcomings.”

“I should think so.”

“Very well, save your precious child.”

“Milady, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

“I didn’t do it for you, I did for the scrap of a child who follows me around nagging me remorselessly. It’s the only way I shall get any peace.”

“Might I ask if I could embrace the child who assists you, one more time.”

“If you must.”

She faded and before stood Billie. I couldn’t even say her name I was so choked. I opened my arms and she fell into them and we hugged, me weeping like it was going out of style. I closed my eyes and the next thing I knew, Simon was rubbing my shoulder.

“Hey, babes, how d’you feel now?”

“Um—what?” I opened my eyes and I was in bed, in my nightdress. I sat up with a start. “But I was downstairs,” I protested.

“When?” asked Simon.

“Just now,” I saw the goddess and she helped me to save Trish and allowed me to hug Billie.”

“Ah, that explains things.”

“It does?” I asked.

“Yeah, you were crying your eyes out and yet you were smiling at the same time.”

“Was I?”

“Yeah, but it was the talking in your sleep that woke me.”

“Sorry.”

“Who’s milady when she’s at home?”

“The goddess.”

“I thought you didn’t believe in gods and goddesses?”

“I don’t.”

“So how come you’re talking to one in your sleep?”

“I was obviously worrying about Trish.”

“I gathered that much. It’s all a bit double standards, isn’t it?”

“I suppose so.”But if it saves my baby, I’ll believe anything, even a dozen impossible things before breakfast.”

“Your baby?”

“Yes, Trish.”

“Hardly a baby.”

“They all are to me.”

“Okay, pardon me for breathing.”

“Men and women see things differently.”

“You’re not kidding.”

“Si, you can be so...”

“Double standards?” he offered.

“Yes,” I agreed.

“I’m a banker, remember?”

“I hadn’t forgotten.”

“I’m glad to hear it.”

I glanced at the clock, it was six in the morning. A sense of déjà vu went through my mind, then I turned over and with Simon’s arm around my waist I drifted off to sleep again. He let me sleep until ten, and this time I really did shower and dress and comb my hair.

I discovered that Tom had taken the others out for a walk with the dog and that Simon had taken a couple of days off to do what he could to help. He spent any spare moment on his computer or phone, but he was where we needed him—with us. I knew Trish would appreciate it, as did I.

I ate a light breakfast and got myself ready to visit Trish, Julie had gone to the salon to try and deal with the Easter rush. Why is it people have to have their hair done for Easter? I could understand the churchgoers, they’re all in some sort of competition for being the most pious and best turned out, but the others...?

I collected my coat and bag and set off for the hospital, Si suggesting that he’d watch the kids if Tom ever brought them back. At the ward, Trish was sitting up in bed talking to a houseman about Quantum Mechanics, “Hi, Mummy, this is Dr Downes, he used to do A-level physics, said he’d bring in some exam papers for me to look at, isn’t that kind?”

“Isn’t it?” I replied not sure what I felt other than she must be feeling better. After they stopped chatting I spoke to the doctor on his own. “How is she?”

“So much better we wonder if Dr Rose might have made a mistake.”

“I doubt it.”

“Oh, so how can she recover so quickly?”

“She’s got phenomenal healing rates.”

“So I see.”

“It’s just unprecendented, VM takes weeks to get over.”

“Trish recovers very quickly, I did say earlier.”

“Who was the woman they thought they saw in the middle of the night, she apparently glowed golden?”

“How am I supposed to know, I was fast asleep home in bed.”

“Lucky you, I had to deal with a neo-natal with some complications.”

“Lucky me, absolutely. I feel I’m the luckiest and happiest woman alive.”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
184 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

sorry they're a bit short recently

Angharad's picture

but I'm absolutely knackered. I'm working too many hours for too little reward, besides which polishing my halo is taking too much energy, and I have a dose of the squits - so my bum is sore as well. Another long day tomorrow, so I might not have the energy to post anything.

Angharad

Too much information!!!

Despite that, I hope you get better soon :) And, as always, thanks for providing me with a little bedtime reading - it's rather like 'Book at Bedtime' but it's 'Bike at Bedtime' instead.

Robi

Take good care of yourself!

Your fans will survive. As you've suggested before, we can go back and reread a few episodes. Almost any of them will have a gem or two to be rediscovered.

I suppose on the

plus side the Easter break is approaching, Which for many means a long weekend, Hopefully that applies to you as well Ang, You really need to make looking after yourself a priority and if that means time without Bike episodes then so be it, As for the halo make the cats earn their keep, A wagging tail should polish it up nicely :-)

Kirri

I do hope...

I do hope your bout was more easily resolved than my daughter's...

Best wishes.
Annette

It's the quality ...

It's the quality not the quantity girl; you of all people should know that!!

Now go to bed or you'll be 'aving more than the squits, nervous breakdown more like. Take a break, take a powder, take a day or even more than a day off.

Quiet! the rest of you readers, the girl needs a break!!

Still lovin' it.

xx

bev_1.jpg

But which where you referring to?

persephone's picture

The chapter or the squits?

Sorry, had a seriously long day and was delighted to find the Daily Dormouse to help me chill out.
Thank you Ang

Persephone

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Does she or doesn't she

“It’s annoying that you only summon me to ask favours.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way.” doesn't

“So am I, Catherine.”

“Will you help me, milady?”

“Why should I?”

“Because you’re a female and you don’t wish to see children suffer and she is likely to serve you in the future.”

“I hope she does a better job than her mother.”

“I apologise for my shortcomings.”

“I should think so.”

I never knew a figment of an imagination to be upset, or express displeasure in that snarky a manner. There needs to be some fence mending with the Lady, and some extra credit make up work. There is a lesson here be kind to the figment's of your imagination , They might be real enough to save your or another life.

Huggles

Michele

PS
I have experienced this in real life myself. It helps you cultivate humility and a healthy respect for the unseen.
All I have seen in my life helps me to believe in what I haven't seen.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

Polished Halo!

Greetings Angharad

You keep that halo polished, but to do that you might need to ease off with other things.

It is amazing that you have written 2324 chapters without many days off.

Brian

If anyone ever questioned Cathy's qualifications as a mother

This should remove any doubts....

“Your baby?”
“Yes, Trish.”
“Hardly a baby.”
“They all are to me.”

I'd think that by now Simon would understand.

Thanks Angharad! Every now and then a seemingly insignificant passage in this tale means a lot.

Yaeh! Ang. John does Snoopy Happy Dance

So Trish is on the mend and undamaged by the dangerous virus. She is unharmed, right? IE beyond her mind being sound and as clever as ever her body is okay?

Should have though about you know whom and the influence she has with the goddess.

But then sisters are supposed to look out for each other.

Sweet stuff.

Touching what Cathy said about "her babies".

Nice one, Ang.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Remember after gastric trouble often the BRAT diet is best Bananas, Rice, Applesauce Tea. Lots of fluids. Maybe some wheat, fat, dairy free soups after a while. Eventually some poached eggs as you feel better.

But then you are in medicine.

John in Wauwatosa

There's

Also Rice, soda crackers, bread and "Cheerios" (AKA oat "o" cereal). As those are what my daughter's able to keep down these days. No banana's or sauce as yet.

Annette

Go back to Bike 0001, do not pass go, do not collect £200

Rhona McCloud's picture

Not you Angharad - it sounds as though you could do with a well earned break or at least a change of diet.

I'm new to Bike and only up to 165 but already a fan so I wonder how many long term followers remember the joy of first discovery and how new followers from 0001 can be recruited (I'd dismissed the possibility as too daunting until "cyclist" made a positive mention). Maybe it will depend on luck but for regulars maybe an occasional return to the roots would be fun and ease the withdrawal pangs when Angharad has a wobbly

Rhona

Rhona McCloud

Agreed

If Ang feels she is burning out then it is better to take a few months off or something and relax.

Very nice that the "goddess"

Very nice that the "goddess" gave Cathy the help she wanted for Trish. Somehow, I believe that payment in kind will be requested in a very near future date. Say like a tiny baby in the Neo-natal unit of the hospital. I would like to believe that after all these encounters Cathy has had with this "goddess", that she might start re-considering her stance when it comes to the religious/supernatural aspect of life. As a scientist, Cathy should be willing to be more open-minded on the subject, especially since she gets assistance that can not be explained otherwise.

Time to surprise the Goddess

Maybe Cathy needs to call the Goddess now that Danni is better and thank her and offer to do something for the Goddess.
The Goddess gets to pick what the favour is.
Must be something the she will not like having to do.

Oy...

My youngest could do with a visit from that lady that glowed... (Her older sister might even believe in her - LOL.) (Spent Easter morning and Wed morning in the Emergency Room with her... Lots of IVs and meds later, and she's doing better, but oy... And nothing as serious as VM!)

Interesting though...

Thanks,
Annette

My children are all in their 30's now

and yet they are still all my babies, and will always be so. Men just don't think of them that way, it's a very different way of thinking. So glad Trish is going to be ok, and you had me bawling with the reunion with Billie, I think it is because I lost my sister at 17 that Billie just touches my heart.