Sunshine...Part 4

Printer-friendly version

Sunshine…Part Four.

Sonya…

Sonya Thompson.

They said that was my name and I guess I believe them. I know it sounds strange and paranoid but the things I’ve heard while I was waking up…Nano-remodelling, and bad companies and being asleep…well in a coma for so long.

Nightmares of fire, of burning aren’t helping me and the fact that they said that someone had set me on fire?

Well there’s a good reason for the nightmares.

But the memory loss is a killer too. I’ve got it really bad, they’re telling me that I’m lucky that I’m not a vegetable like some of the others.

But my physiotherapy is hard, not only am I so weak that it’s scary everything feels strange and alien. I mean even the way the breeze feels on my skin doesn’t feel familiar to me.

They’re paying for us and that’s good I guess but I’m really leery of strangers bearing gifts.

I think the most disturbing thing over the last few months besides re-learning everything is that they let us have access to computers and the net and I looked myself up.

No wonder I’m getting looks from people as I’m getting better, I know I’m very, very good looking I’m filled back out with the diets that they’ve had us on and I’m. five nine, leggy, slender with a nice neck and long graceful arms and I’m very curvy and on my way to maybe my old bust size of 38DD.

But I was an actress, or I was an actress mostly as a kid and a teenager and from the sites and the old news clippings I was really messed up. I was in this huge fire in this immigrant housing complex as a kid and orphaned because of it. They say my family were drug dealers and into the whole gangland thing too. It must have really screwed me up because there’s this long list of shitty semi-famous relationships and drug charges, drinking and riving and then if all of that wasn’t bad enough I went from mainstream actress because of the bullshit I was in all the time I guess to being a porn star.

I’ve watched myself, both in acting and in the porn stuff and…

While I don’t remember being so fucked up I feel it. I feel like there’s something wrong inside of me just waiting to break or something like I’m glass inside or something.

I’m clean so that’s good after being such an addict before but while I’m not craving whatever I was into I feel that telltale fragility that seems to be part of the make up of an addict.

And the porn…lets just say that I did everything and while my brain doesn’t remember my body seems too and some of the movies that I’ve made…they still turn me on.

And I don’t remember any of it.

What a messed up way to discover yourself.

And I think it’s more than a little awkward that some of the staff here has obviously looked me up. Or had been fans since nothing ever dies on the net.

Thankfully I don’t remember Harrison.

Harrison Wheeler the man I had been seeing who was this drug dealer to the stars and into the whole porn star industry…my ex. The guy that had apparently beat me a lot and had gone too far one night and doused me in lighter fluid and lit me on fire.

Karma’s a motherfucker though. While I was under apparent he died of some bad news venereal disease called Kemper, some kind of spore infection that swells and chokes off the sex organs.

They had to castrate him before he died of it.

Sadly at the time there were no cures they could only amputate before it spread and started to clog the lungs or the heart. It got to his lungs and he died suffocating.

Poetic justice if you ask me but it doesn’t kill the nightmares.

I can remember in my dreams burning…actually seeing my hand on fire…pop…pop…sizzle and the sound of fire and the feeling of the smoke in my lungs.

It’s really not fun being in this shape and bolting upright in bed in the middle of the night screaming. At least now in more or less private quarters and of the machines and monitors I’m not having a bunch or nurses running in and everything.

I end up tying off the bag in the trashcan beside my bed and get up and shakily make my way to the bathroom. I’m getting more and more used to seeing myself in the mirror now it’s not so alien seeming to me and the clear and perfect skin doesn’t contrast as bad with the nightmares and the expectation of burn scars.

I brush my teeth and use the mouthwash and get undressed the rest of the way shedding my sleep bra and panties and step into the shower. Taking a shower is one of life’s little pleasures really for me. And no not in that kinky shower head kind of way but actually soaping my breasts is very soothing and sort of erotic for me. Only sort of well because their breasts and they like the attention but more soothing really and I love the feeling of the shower on my back and the almost massage like feeling it has when my scalp is under the spray.

So thinking about cutting my hair though. Long hair is a pain in the ass really and there are times that I’m so sick of it but there’s others when it’s really nice and its part of why the men stare at me.

I know, I know I’m good looking even if that doesn’t register experience wise or maybe it’s some subconscious porn thing. My shrink thinks so or it’s just damage that’s why my memory is shot on the most basic stuff.

I wash it and then I towel it and while it’s still damp I use the blow dryer and brushes and combs and get it looking halfway descent ay least while I let my body air dry.

I get dressed and struggle my way into a sports bra. Yes I’m not used to them but I really need one if I’m going to go and work out. I get dressed in a decent top and a pair of yoga pants and I head out with a bottle of water to the facilities open gym.

I’m still kind of amazed at just how thin some of the clothes that I’ve been given are. I swear I feel pretty naked sometimes. It’s so strange having so much of your mind wiped out. It’s actually scary as hell really with other people and in my case being sort of semi famous being able to see stuff about me but not me anymore of the net.

I go slowly at first with my physio routine and some slow stretches to warm up and the a walk to start with on the treadmill then a light jog for awhile and it really pushes it me maybe a bit much too and after about ten minutes of that I’m done in.

I really hate feeling like this, I mean when you really lightly jog for just a little while and you’re done in for at least five minutes trying to catch your breath and wiping away sweat.

I know, I’m lucky I’m not a vegetable. There’s people here still on machines and will never be off of them. I’m at least able to get around now. Next is the elliptical machine that really helps with the whole muscle groups for climbing stairs and stuff. That’s another thing that’s still hard going for me. And to finish things and myself off I do a little weight training before I drag myself to the snack area and sit down after getting an almond-soy salad and a mixed juice shake thing that’s good for me and heavily masked from the icky stuff by lots of kiwi.

I sit down at a table not too far from one of the other girls Mandy Pine and sip at stuff. Mandy smiles a bit and is looking as worn out as I am.

“Rough one?”

She nods eating something that resembles meat I think. I’m a vegetarian or so my bio has said and I’m trying to stick to it. Besides with the supplements and other stuff like in my smoothie I’m not missing out.

Aside from the fact I can smell that she’s eating something that had the distinct smell of bacon.

That’s really just.

“Want some?” She offers and I shake my head.

“No thanks I’m really trying to stick to what I used to do, it might jog something loose. Besides I’m getting lots of protein as it is.”

She nods. “Yeah it’s not the protein hon it’s all the other stuff. I’ve got a whole new lease on life and I was like you the last time and denied myself stuff thinking it’d make me stay young or pretty or thin and it never really do much other than make me miserable. Now the memory thing…that’s like the best reason to keep it up I’ve ever heard. I hope it works.”

“Me too because that smells really good.”

She laughs and a few others join us. Some are patients and some are staff we’re slowly all sort of socially blending together like this. I’m eating when I see this guy. Short cut blonde hair about early twenties and wearing a bracelet like the rest of us wear. I usually don’t pay attention to people, well guys and, well you know in the attracted way. I’ve got too much going on for that.

But he’s drawing my eye for sure.

Tall at six one or six two. He’s thin from the remodel/remake and yet he’s filling out really, really nicely he must be working hard at it and he sits down and he looks just so…lost in his head? I know we’re all sort of like that but he really has the look bad.

“Hey Mandy? Who’s the hunk?”

She looks at him then she looks him over and I’m not sure if I’m having the paws off I saw him first reaction or not? There’s just something that draws me to him and something so familiar about him. She shrugs. “I dunno but I’d like to know.”

One of the nurses looks at me.

“That’s Joel; he’s an absolute bonafide hero.”
“Hero?” I look at her then him and then her. “Okay I’m intrigued, how so?”

“He’s an ex-firefighter and he’s got a lot of awards for saving peoples lives and stuff.”

I look at him again. Okay it’s in my head right? Just knowing that drawing me in more?

She’s staring at me looking at him. “What?”

“You two actually have a connection.”

“What? Is he one of my ex’s?” I don’t remember any firemen in my bio.

“No, it’s in your file. He was nearly burned to death saving you when you were like just a kid. Its how he ended up in here too he was one of the first cryo-victims.”

Oh…

I remember reading about that…

And something clicks in my brain. Just this snippet of…

~You are my sunshine…My only sunshine…~

Oh…

There’s tears suddenly running down my face.

I did this to him?

*** Joel……………………….

Well that was a really awkward and shitty morning. My family showed up the whole bunch that was still in the region and there were my kids and grand kids and even a couple of great grand kids.

It was more than I thought might show and it was strained to say the very least. My grand kids and great grand kids were okay with then not really knowing me too much since the whole thing had happened and the in the case of my great grand children I was just a story and stuff.

But my kids it was hard because they’re old, they’re old and they’re grey and collecting social security for heavens sake. And yet there was nothing there. It was like meeting a bunch of strangers that were telling me things about me that just didn’t click anywhere in my head and I could tell that they were getting upset and disappointed but I just can’t help it. It’s all gone and I can’t remember what isn’t there.

But human nature being human nature they kept seeming like they thought the more that they talked about stuff that those memories would just magically materialize in my head and we’d just pick right off where things had left off.

And when they didn’t it turned into blame.

Blaming me for going into a place I had no business going into. That I was retired and that I was breaking the laws. That I broke my family because of that and the fact that all my benefits and other things that should have gone to my wife and then didn’t because of what I did.

Nothing like catching hell for stuff that you can’t remember. I’m literally not that guy any more and that pissed them off or hurt them more and it just got to the point were they just up and left.

Some of the in-laws and the great grand kids and grand kids left me their contact information and stuff but not all of them and it was just.

It was just really awkward and shitty really.

And the whole thing had sat heavy in my head and just kind of drained any fight or energy out of me during me rehab sessions. Stuff like having that happen to you just made every thing I was trying to do or they were trying to do just seem ten times as hard.

And it didn’t get me any sympathy either from the others since I was one of the only people who came out of this with any family to speak of so there was really no one that I could talk to about how much this hurt and stuff without getting on someone’s nerves.

Lonely hurtful shit really.

And I guess it was a good thing that they left because I was sort of getting sick of catching hell for something for as far as I’m concerned a stranger ended up doing.

Fucking sigh.

Sometimes life just seems to want to kick you over and over again just to see how much you can take before you end up screaming from the inside out and curling into the fetal position.

I’m done for the day except the massage torture and some pool time but first some lunch and a break. I get a salad because I usually like something crunchy and green. I go with the Greek one with the spinach but also I like it seems feta and olives too and I get two big cheese burgers with bacon and lots of cooked down onions on them and a super smoothie thing and a thing of yogurt for dessert and I’m wolfing down my first burger in that eye rolling into the back of my skull sooo good craving way. My body is still starving I swear and I’m chewing away when I’m getting checked out by a bunch of the girls. Some are patients and some are nurses and I try a smile with them and finger wave with burger in hand to them. Women still make me nervous, it’s gone back to the I have no idea what I’m doing with them thing all over again.

Well I was married, widower now I guess and even if I did remember I’d still likely be so out of practice with interacting with them on this level I’d flop it anyway.

I look down and take another bite feeling a bit guilty now too.

I mean I should feel guilty since all the stuff with my wife and all of the things that I lost right? Am I doing her a disservice?

But I don’t remember her.

I take another short look up and there’s this stunning blonde woman/girl with really model like looks and really nice breasts…hey they stand out and I can’t help but to notice them especially on her cryo-thinned frame.

But then I notice she’s sort of gone pale and spaced out yet staring at me and she’s crying?

Shit…what did I do now?

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hmm...

Extravagance's picture

If a girl wears a sports bra, it suggests to me that she's serious about working out, and that is good. = )
But on the other hand, it means less jiggling of the boobs. = (

...

My mind sure does drift towards baser thoughts when the story is confusing... It's a good story though, I think.
*HuggleSnugglePurrLickyourface* ^_^

...Hey, I got the first comment! :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

Blame game

You can't help some people's wanting to blame, especially if their point of views are really different on what happened. Some people know what they know and you can't confuse them with facts. Lots of different interactions going on.
Good chapter, thanks

His kids are right sanctimonious pieces of work aren't they

He WAS the victim, not them.

The law and the insurance were twisted to deny him and his family any mercy. All in the name of illegal profit.

Yet HE is to blame.

Ungrateful bastards!

-- snicker --

Okay, beyond the strangers in a strange land theme and the possible romance between the rejuvenated man and this rebuilt former porn star, what else is likely to happen?

I assume a few of his descendents keep in touch and possibly one of his kids realizes they were an ass and welcomes back their dad.

But this IS BC after all. The experimental *swarming*, nanotech/stem cell rebuild? Will the largely new parts man become a woman due to some misunderstood factor? Is he even mostly his own genetics anymore?

Why does he remember more than most even though he was *on ice* way past the five year limit? I think I remember something about him having military brain implants?

And though it may or may not be important, what happened to those who got organs, bones, skin from the living organ banks?

Or were they never told as many or most were likely innocents?

And what did the nurse mean about how the sleazy company was shut down?

Would only be right and proper if they not only lost the company, their money and freedom but were used as live organ donors. This seems a case where cruel and unusual punishments almost seems appropriate. I mean, beyond the mutilated physically and mentally victims, how many died? How many families were destroyed so a few could get rich?

-- snicker --

And now we get a hint of why the title is Sunshine. Sweet.

So many irons in the fire and so many good ones, Bailey.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

You're right on a few counts John in W.

He didn't have military implants and they still don't know why he came out unscathed as much as he did. One of the many things they're looking at. I think you're thinking of the discussed military aspects they were looking at through the nano-process.

The kids likely won't be as big a factor as the grand children or great grand children.

The company and parties were arrested and defunded once they were caught. A lot of folks went to the big house over this.

I'll admit I never thought of the idea of who got what from who in the "donation" process though.

Glad that you liked it as always:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

The Song

never fails to bring me to tears. Joel's kids certainly have a lot of baggage that sounds like it came from a very bitter wife. Never mind he was the victim and the hospital lied to make a few bucks.

I do have to wonder if Sunshine will trigger any memories for him. However I do so get that all the victims are still walking wounded with a lot of issues from the years of cyro.

As the TG, I'm happy with the story as it is although this is BCTS after all.

hugs
Grover

It's already there Grover:)

The wife was very bitter to the hospital and the company and she did turn it towards Joel a lot of the time. The kids spent a lot of time hearing that and her anguish. The song will definitely hit something for sure.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

'Shit…what did I do now?"

go over and comfort her, of course....

I wanna see them together!

DogSig.png

Well it was what Did I do and not Do but...

really he might as well since it'll likely bug him.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey...A Proud Big Brother.

Bailey Summers

Sunshine

Elsbeth's picture

Another must read, interesting premise, good chapter

hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Organ donors are usually anonymous but...

sometimes their identity becomes known.

This case is/was so big, so horrific some *donor*/recipient names WILL leak to the press.

What if you were one of those saved by a donated organ or skin, bone, corneas etc and later learned it was *harvested* from an unwilling LIVE donor! The horror/guilt might drive one to suicide . Look at the guilt the former porn actress felt on learning the gaunt young man in the hospital was the former retired firefighter who saved her life as a child. For recipient of harvested *parts* it would likely be far worse.

Perhaps our hero will have to meet a few and help them be absolved of guilt. But if any were rich bastards who basically bought an organ...

"Hey Mr/Ms I want MINE back... NOW!"

-- snicker --

The legal ramifications will not end only with the corrupt insurance/hospital people and the organ bank corp. Some are very basic legal questions. The victims were illegally declared brain dead and thus non-people. What of lost assets, jobs, houses etc?

What if families remarried and the victim's kids took the new parents last name? What if their *heirs* lost the assets the victim had? Can they legally demand their restoration? Complex and not easily answered questions.

IE what civil/legal and economic rights do the victims have.? And for those most heavily harvested are they even genitally themselves anymore? Or is the nanotech able to make the new stem cell grown parts the same as the host body genetically? BTW where did they get the stem cells ? Grown from the victims themselves?

And I still wonder, just a fresh start for the former little girl he saved and him or...?

Hum, we had a Morpheus(?) tale where someone was cured using nanites but then the scientific team that created them was murdered by anti tech terrorists.

Unfortunately or fortunately the nanites had a minor programming OOPS and copied the DNA of anyone he had contact with. They also were self replicating , though not transmittable to others. Thus he would always have them active in this/her body. Thus he changes into other men, women, his own family members etc. I believe they only will copy HUMAN DNA thank ghod!

A living nightmare until he rescues a well off young woman thus becoming a copy of her. But she harbored a fantasy of having a twin sister AND was also bisexual.

Thus they find in each other the perfect lover and friend.

He still deliberately and accidently changes so they can have some variety and she the occasional man but he soon becomes her loving and lovely twin as the transformation upon contact takes but a few hours or so.

Long story condensed to a question... will that happen here? Are these nanites permanent and could be accidently or deliberately reprogrammed? Could each become the other?

As this is a military experiment are there weapons/stealth/defensive aspects hidden in their new bodies?

And are they at risk from people/organizations that wish to steal the tech?

Need not answer each and every question in your tale but these all seem worthy of considering an answer to.

Having fun here.

Still think his kids are assess. If they were smart they'd cozy up in hopes THEY could get the treatments and become young again.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I wonder could they make the former victims stronger/faster... um better? Like in the Six Million Dollar Man/Woman or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH97lImrr0Q

John in Wauwatosa

Well John you've certainly added to the list of things:)

There are several of those things in the plot or rather just parts of the story. I'm not going to tell what but you're scary close with some and you're inspiring a lot of new maybes...
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

That song...

That song is echoing in my head and every time I hear it now I feel this story...

You've managed to connect an exceptionally moving story with an earworm(One of those songs that stick in your head).

Stunning in its impact.

Thank you

Abby

Battery.jpg

Thanks so much Abbey:)

I wasn't even thinking of how this would resonate with other people. Kind of had this general Idea and then that end of the scene with Joel and the little girl.
So glad that You enjoyed this:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Family

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I can see how for Joel's kids this must be really painful. To the others he's a family tree curiosity but to the kids he's their father, biologically at least, but at the same time the memories that made him their father emotionally are gone. He's a stranger with their father's name who offers no way to heal the wounds that his death and then return have opened up. And then poor Joel has to deal with a bunch of frustrated, hurt and angry people who are upset that he's not who they want him to be. Yeah, that's not going to bode well for the future of their relationship.

As for Joel's future... it will be interesting to see what he makes of it. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

That's exactly the stuff that Joel's going through.

And to know that you don't know and wanting to and seeing the hurt and realization of all of that in their eyes. That's so much hurt all the way around.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

unusual

Looking forward to the next section. Not quite sure who is getting the breasts as per tag!?
Thanks
Alys