A Fortuitous Adventure: 22

Printer-friendly version

Emily

I need to get everyone together
to put them in the picture

A Fortuitous Adventure:
or, how I got my first job

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 22

A family conference

Mum’s promised letter arrived on Friday morning. I’ called Aunt Carol from work at lunch time and discovered that it was waiting for me, and so I rang Karen at the hospital to ask her to go ahead and make the appointment for me as quickly as possible.

‘Alright I’ll try and get you an appointment at her clinic next week, but when will you tell the others what you are doing?’ she asked.

‘As soon as I can get everybody together in one place.’

‘What about tonight, before we all go out?’

‘Clare and I will be going to see a film and have to leave at six thirty.’

‘Check with Anne, but I think everyone should be at home around five thirty you will only need an hour,’ she said.

‘Alright but I'll have to get myself ready early.’

She chuckled.

‘After all you want to look your best for that boyfriend of yours.’


I did some ringing round and discovered that, unusually, everyone in the house was expected to be home by five thirty that evening. This would give me enough time to make my announcement and answer any questions before Clare and I were due to leave for the cinema.

I therefore spoke to Clare and Jenny together.

‘There’s something important that I want to tell everyone this afternoon and so I would like to organise a chat with everybody, including you Jenny. Can I see you both at five-thirty this afternoon?’ I asked. ‘

‘I suppose so but what’s it all about?’ asked Clare.

‘I’d prefer to tell everyone together, if that’s ok’ I replied.

‘My Mum’s going out to a job at about four-thirty, but I suppose I could ask her to give me a lift over and then get changed and put on my makeup at your place,’ she said.

‘You can do it in my room, and we’ll leave Emily to prepare for this mysterious meeting on her own,’ suggested Clare

‘I’ll ring Aunt Carol to tell her that you’re coming as well; I’m sure she won’t mind,’ I said.

Aunt Carol was also intrigued as to the purpose of the conference, when I told her, but she too agreed to wait until the afternoon to find out.

On that day we had finished work and cleared away by three o’clock and so we had a little spare time to ourselves before we needed to get ready. Aunt Carol was out somewhere and Clare took the opportunity to phone a school friend she hadn’t seen for some time and tell her about Geoff. I looked in my wardrobe wondering what to wear, and noticed the plastic bag containing the few clothes that Chris had been wearing when he arrived early in July. They seemed out of place and a reminder of my forme life. A hundred yards or so from my Aunt’s house there was a pub which had a number of recycling containers in its car park, including one for clothes and textiles. I picked up the carrier bag and slipped out of the house and a few minutes later placed it in the container. That was the end of Chris, at least so far as my life in Shrewsbury was concerned, and I was quite determined that my future would be there. It was just a pair of jeans, a cotton-shirt, trainers and some underclothes, some of which Emily might possibly have worn, but I wanted to be rid of them. My action symbolised that there was no going back for me now, whatever anyone might say tonight. I returned to the house and was pleased that nobody had noticed my absence.

Jenny arrived at 4.30, as promised, and was invited into Clare’s room to get herself ready. This also suited me, I preferred to be alone with my thoughts on this occasion. I quickly showered and washed my hair, checking that the extensions were still firmly attached. I also carefully examined my breast forms. They were ok, for the time being at least, but I felt a bit of a fraud. I really wanted my own breasts and wondered how long it would be before the hormones had their desired effect after they had been prescribed. It was going to be a year at least before I could even think about ditching the breast forms.

Once I was dry I ensured that my penis and testicles were tucked away safely, and then put on the new peach coloured teddy that Rob had given to me for my birthday, and a new pair of tights. The American girl had left a dark red rah-rah skirt and matching sleeveless crop top, both of which had come back into fashion recently. I had not really had any chance to wear them before but it was a hot day, and, what the hell, I was a sixteen-year —old experimenting with my look. I tried them on but didn't really have the hips for the skirt to look its best. I therefore undressed and taped on the strips of padding that Jenny had provided for me when I went to Anne’s birthday meal. I was just fixing my makeup when Karen arrived home at five fifteen and called in to see me.

‘Wow, you look sexy tonight where are you planning to go.’

‘Six of us are going to see Slumdog Millionaire, at Cineworld.’

‘Well take care with that new boyfriend, you look quite ‘hot’ in that outfit.’

‘I chose it because the weather was so hot today, but don’t worry Rob has promised to be a perfect gentleman.’

‘That’s what they all say. Does he know about Chris?’

‘Yes he does and it doesn’t seem to worry him, but it’s nothing serious, just a summer friendship.’

‘Alright, but be careful young lady.’

I coloured, knowing that although I was not yet prepared to have sex with a guy I would be quite disappointed if we didn't at least indulge in some petting during the course of the evening.

‘I will.’

Karen proceeded to raise the main subject on her mind.

‘I’ve made an appointment for you to see Dr Jane Morrison at her clinic on Tuesday at 4.10 pm, so make sure that you can have the time off work. She has some experience in treating young transgenders, like yourself. Even in a sleepy town like Shrewsbury there are two or three others currently undergoing transition and quite a number of people happily living in their new genders. I think you’ll find her to be understanding. The main thing is to be honest with her about how you feel, to listen to what she has to say and not to be in too much of a hurry. I’ve spoken to her about you and she’s quite happy for you to continue taking the testosterone blockers, so here’s another week’s supply. She’ll probably give you a prescription when you see her.’

‘Thanks for everything, Karen.’

‘I understand we’re all meeting shortly.’

‘Yes; as just soon as Anne gets back from work.’

‘Good, be open, honest, but above all, be decisive. It’s your life, your body, and your decision. I believe everyone will respect that.’


At five thirty I entered the lounge where my three cousins, aunt and friend were all sitting waiting for me. I was feeling more than a little nervous, but nevertheless quite sure about what I wanted to say.

‘Thanks everyone for giving me your time. I’ve asked you here as there’s something I need to say and I felt it might be better if I said it to you all together rather than individually. As I’ve said to some of you before, these last five weeks living as Emily have been the happiest weeks of my life, and I’d like to thank everyone here for making that possible. My mind has been in turmoil, mainly because I’ve been enjoying myself so much. Living and working as a girl has felt so right for me; for the first time in my life I‘ve felt really good about myself. I’ve spoken to you all individually at different times about how I feel, and I’ve also spoken to my Mum and our Gran recently; these conversations have helped me to come to a decision about my future. I can see clearly now that this is how I want to spend the rest of my life. I’ve told Mum that I never want to go back to living as Chris. As soon as possible I want to start taking the female hormones that’ll gradually provide me with a woman’s body. I also intend to change my name in due course and by the time I’m eighteen I shall seek legal recognition as a woman and get a passport and driving licence as Emily. I can’t say whether I shall one day seek surgery; I suspect I may do so, but if I do it won’t be until after I am eighteen. In the meanwhile I am absolutely certain that this is the right course for me.’

Nobody said a word in response. Perhaps they were stunned by the last admission. I therefore continued with my announcement.

‘Mum has agreed for us to move to Shrewsbury during the autumn, and she wants me to start a course at Shrewsbury College. I believe that I’ll obtain the necessary GCSE grades and will know for certain in just over a week. I also understand that Aunt Carol is prepared to let me remain staying here until Mum has found somewhere for the two of us to live. Over the next few weeks I shall be doing everything I can to try and forget that there was ever a person called Christopher Nicholson and shall seek to build a new life for Emily. I’m truly grateful for all the support, love and friendship I’ve received from you, and I hope that I may continue to do so. That’s all I have to say.

I looked around, and then demurely sat down, waiting for the response. Aunt Carol was the first to speak.

‘I think we all accepted your wish to remain living as Emily for a few more weeks and I am sure we will all support you in whatever you decide, but what you are proposing would be irrevocable. Sixteen years old is very young to be making such a life changing decision, and five weeks experience living as a girl is a very short time to be making up your mind.’

‘I know, but I’ve known for years that something wasn’t right with my life. The last five weeks have shown me exactly what was wrong. The longer I leave it the more difficult it will be for me to make the physical transition. That’s why I’ve asked Karen to organise an appointment for me next week.’

Aunt Carol looked sharply at her elder daughter, who intervened on my behalf.

‘Mum, I think Em is just saying that she has decided to embark upon a journey of discovery. It will be several weeks, perhaps months, before she does anything that is irrevocable. That will only happen if an experienced therapist is convinced that she knows what she is doing. She will also have her mother to advise her.’

‘So you think it is a good idea?’ said Aunt Carol to Karen.

‘I think it is a good idea for her to undergo therapy as quickly as possible. I suspect the outcome may be that she does ultimately decide to live as a woman full-time, but that will be up to her, her therapist, and her mother if she is still under 18.’

‘But in the end it’s my decision,’ I added.

‘What do the others think?’ asked Carol.

‘I have never thought of Emily as anything but a girl ever since we began to work together,’ said Clare. ‘I simply cannot now picture her as a boy.’

‘I agree,’ added Jenny. ‘I’ve never see Chris, and it now would seem very strange to me if I did so. I regard Emily as a girl friend and colleague.’

‘I think when we had my birthday meal it was clear to everyone that Emily was more comfortable living in the female gender, and everything that’s happened since then has reinforced that opinion,’ said Anne.

‘Aunt Carol, my mind is made up, and I have Mum’s permission to begin the process. I hope you can accept that, and I hope you’ll let me continue to stay for a while,’ I said.

‘I’m hardly going to turn out my own niece into the street. If you are quite certain, then so be it. Good luck to you.’

‘Thanks Aunt Carol.’

‘However, whilst your mother’s away, I’m responsible for your welfare, and I don’t want you going out in that short skirt tonight. I feel you should put on something a little more modest.’

‘Mum, rah-rah skirts are in fashion again this year,’ protested Clare.

‘It might be ok if you were all going out cheerleading to a football game, but not if you’re going to the cinema, and particularly if there will be young men present.’

I blushed, but I suppose Aunt Carol had a point. She’d just given way on one difficult decision, I’m sure that I could accept her verdict on this point. I left the room to go and change into a longer skirt, knowing that it would also provide them with a good opportunity to discuss what I’d just said among themselves.

I returned after ten minutes having changed into a skirt that came just above my knees. The family discussion was just breaking up and Karen and Anne was just leaving the room.

‘Well done Em, I think you handled that pretty well,’ said Karen.

‘Thank you both for speaking up for me,’ I replied.

‘No problem,’ said Anne. ‘Now I think it might be time to go and tell Gran about your decision. Are you free on Sunday?’

‘I’ll ask Joyce if I can have the day off,’ I said.


Aunt Carol, Clare and Jenny were still in the front room. I presented myself in my new outfit for inspection by Aunt Carol and received her approval and gave a little curtsey.

‘You look very pretty, as usual, Emily, but one of the things about being a young woman is in knowing what’s appropriate in terms of dress. You’re too young to be trying to drive the boys wild.’

‘What made you think we were planning to go out with lads tonight?’

‘Because I’m not stupid, and have already brought up three daughters, so just watch your step miss.’


Since there was no point in keeping up the pretence any longer, Clare arranged for Geoff and Rob to collect us at the house. Ken worked in the town centre and had arranged to meet us at the cinema. We therefore had fifteen minutes to spare and so the three of us went up to Clare’s bedroom for a talk.

‘That is really good news Emily, now I’ll have a friend to go to college with next year,’ said Jenny.

‘Thanks to both of you for standing up for me earlier,’ I said.

‘You are most welcome, but I think you should have held out for the rah-rah skirt,’ said Clare.

‘Perhaps, but there is only so much that your mother can accept at one sitting.’

‘Are you going to tell the guys tonight?’ asked Jenny.

‘I don’t intend to make an issue out of it and I wouldn’t want you to do so, but if it should come up in conversation, I am now officially a pre-operative transsexual in the course of my transition.’

Inevitably I had to answer a series of further questions from my friends about my plans and the reaction of my mother, but they were both entirely supportive of my decision and professed themselves to be looking forward to the continuation of our friendship.

When the car did pull up Aunt Carol made a point of coming out to meet Rob for the first time. I was a little anxious that she might say something to embarrass me, but she was ok, with just the parting reminder to him of ‘look after my niece, she is only just sixteen.’


I don’t need to go into a lot of detail about what happened during the course of Friday evening (or indeed on the seven or eight other occasions that Rob and I went out together over the next three and a half weeks). It is enough to say that I was sixteen and Rob was nineteen and to some extent we were both learning how to be intimate with one another without going too far. In the event, the cinema was quite full and it turned out to be an interesting film so we just held hands during the show. I was a little wary of showing too much passion in front of the others. Rob didn’t seem to worry too much, and Jenny and Clare always treated me as they did one another, but I was self-conscious in front of Geoff and Ken. It was not that they disrespected me — if anything they seemed a little bit in awe of me — but I was still not entirely at ease in their presence. However although nothing much happened in the cinema, I suppose we reached number 6 on Georgia Nicolson’s ‘Snogging Scale’* in the backseat of Geoff’s father’s car before going in that night, Clare and Geoff were otherwise engaged in the front seats. This was not bad going given that Chris had never even made it as far as number 1 on the scale. (Clare reached 7, but then she was older and a lot more experienced than I was.)

*See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Snogging%20Scale

(Next time I have my first appointment with the therapist.)

With thanks to Angharad for her help in editing.


Please note I shall be overseas from tomorrow until 18th June, moving from place to place. I hope to continue my weekly posting during this period but they may become a little erratic, and responses to any PMs may take a little longer. Louise

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Louise,

ALISON

'for another lovely posting.Emily certainly handled things well and has become very feminine despite
her aunts misgivings.Getting rid of Chris's clothes was very final.The love and acceptance of the other
girls is so beautiful.

ALISON

A Fortuitous Adventure: 22

When Em recycled the male clothing, she made the decision to stay as Emily in a way that put Chris away for good.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nice to see that Emily's

Nice to see that Emily's family and friends are all supportive of her decision; it definitely does not happen all that often in real life.

All Caught Up :)

Enemyoffun's picture

I spent the last day or so catching up on this delightful little tale. I'm really enjoying it :)

I can't wait for the next chapter :)

EOF

OK, I'm a Yank

I know what snogging is. What's a rah-rah skirt look like?

Much Love,

Valerie R

Much Love,

Valerie R

Smooch

joannebarbarella's picture

AKA snogging. Good girl, Emily, for holding it back to 6 on the Richter Scale. Oops! Whatever the scale is called.

You Brits, any thing not to have a common language

Why not just say a cheerleader skirt, if you wear one , you need cheerleader pants, at least to maintain some mystery. Especially in Emily's case!
Snogging is cute, but we'd use baseball terms, 1st base,2nd base, 3rd base, and Home Run

Cefin

Different things

I've never seen a cheer uniform with a rah-rah skirt, it's not the same as a pleat skirt, wing skirt, a-line skirt or any of the usual options.

Hugs
Cat

-
You can't choose your relatives but you can choose your family.

For the record

This is what I think of when someone says ra-ra skirt, popular in the 80s, it's funny that of all the sites which say it is "a short flounced layered skirt that originated in cheerleading" none of them have pictures of flounced skirts, just standard pleated cheer skirts.

http://ginadomini.com/home/761-girls-designer-lee-cooper-3-l...

http://www.hootkid.com/products/little-rainbow-ra-ra-skirt-m...

-
You can't choose your relatives but you can choose your family.

America is not the take that wags the dog

I for one enjoy stories with local dialect in them. It is one of the reasons that I come to this site and I have seen authors criticised and leave over American egotism. I can barely stand it at times.

Same things said differently

Gwen, I trust you know all my comments are slightly tongue in cheek. But we are separated by a common language.
High School cheerleader uniforms do feature a pleated skirt, while some college, and all pro team cheerleader uniforms feature hot pants, weather permitting. A perk for the males watching the game. See Dallas Cowboy's Cheerleaders.

Cefin

Looked at the urban dictionary

Angharad's picture

There are so many typos and errors I began to wonder if it was written in irony, but I think not.

Angharad