A Fortuitous Adventure: 15

Printer-friendly version

Emily

My Gran turns out to be
more ‘on the ball’ than I thought

A Fortuitous Adventure:
or, how I got my first job

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 15

A Visit to my Gran

On Sunday morning I was up, dressed, had put on my makeup and styled my hair with plenty of time to spare. Aunt Carol served breakfast to Anne and me at nine. She seemed to approve of our chosen outfits and said that we both looked very pretty. I smiled and thanked her, gradually becoming used to the small pleasure of receiving such compliments about my appearance. We left soon afterwards: our drive to Sheffield was a good opportunity for me to get to know Anne a little better. Apart from one brief interrupted discussion over breakfast I’d spent less time with her than either of my other cousins. We chatted happily about our jobs and I asked about her plans for the future. Unlike her younger sister, she had no particular wish to go to University and said she was happy to stay working in Shrewsbury where she had plenty of friends and where she hoped one day to marry and raise a family.

‘What about you, Emily? What do you hope to do?’

‘I hate school and wish I could leave,’ I replied.

‘You strike me as being quite bright, why don’t you want to stay on?’

‘I enjoyed learning things at school, but I hated the social side of it. I don’t get on with any of the guys my own age and I’m not interested in the same things as they are. I suppose if I went back there would at least be some girls in the Sixth form. I enjoy the company of girls when on their own but once they get into mixed company they become really boring.’

‘So you don’t count as ’mixed company’ then?’ commented Anne. I coloured slightly and tried to think of something to change the subject, but before I could do so Anne spoke again.

‘I’m glad that you took my advice about making the most of your opportunity to discover what it’s like to be a woman. How have you enjoyed working as a waitress?’ she asked.

‘Sometimes it’s been hard work it’s been good fun working with Clare. I hope to keep doing it until September,’ I replied.

‘I suppose what is more to the point, how do you enjoy living as Emily? Or is that a stupid question?’

‘I think it must have been fairly obvious over the last three weeks.’

‘Yes, as soon as I saw you at my twenty-first birthday meal I realised that something had changed.’

I didn’t answer, but looked out at the passing scenery.

‘So what about when your mother comes back? Do your future plans involve Chris or Emily, or perhaps both?’

‘I really don’t know the answer to that. I’m still trying to sort out my feelings’ I replied.

‘Well don’t take too long about it,’ she cautioned.

We had passed Bakewell and were driving through the beautiful scenery of the Peak District. Our conversation lapsed as we each continued engrossed in our own thoughts.


Eventually we passed the boundary of Sheffield, indicating that we were within a few minutes of arriving at Gran’s house.

‘Well, Emily, I supposed we’d better get our story straight. Who are you supposed to be, and how are we going to explain your presence to Gran,’ she asked.

I shrugged.

‘Aunt Carol suggested that we should tell Gran that I’m your friend Emily from Shrewsbury, and I’ve come along to keep you company?’

‘Won’t it seem a little odd for a twenty-one year old to have a fifteen year old as a friend?’

‘I’ll be sixteen in four days,’ I responded with mock indignation. ‘In any event Clare and Jenny keep saying that I look older when I’m wearing makeup.’

‘You do, but even so there is still quite an age gap between us.’

‘So what would you suggest that we say to her?’

‘You could always tell her the truth and explain to her that you were once her grandson Chris but now want to be known as Emily.’

‘I don’t think I’m ready for that degree of honesty, at least not until after I’ve seen Mum tomorrow. In any event, I wouldn’t want to give her a heart attack so soon after her stroke.’

She smiled.

‘Alright then we’ll stick to your story, but be careful with what you say to her, she’s more astute than Mum would have you believe.’


Gran was only in her mid-seventies, but it was quite a shock to me to see how much she had aged since I last saw her. This was mainly the result of her having suffered a minor stroke just over two weeks before, which had left her partially incapacitated. She was still being visited regularly by a carer but she was also fiercely independent and determined to manage on her own if she could. Fortunately she and Grandad had moved into a bungalow several years before he died, and had also installed some mobility aids so she was now able to walk around the house using a Zimmer frame, but was reliant on others for her shopping. Anne introduced me as a friend and I was welcomed and invited to sit down. We had wanted to take her out for lunch, but found that she had already bought in a quiche and had managed to prepare a simple salad. She also said she had ice cream in the freezer, so we agreed to stay in.

Anne had visited Gran many times and they soon began chatting about her health and how she was managing since her stroke. I tried to sit back as an onlooker during the conversation, but every so often Gran would direct a question at me, and I was forced to invent details about an imaginary family and how I came to be friendly with Anne. I hated telling lies to her and found the whole process to be a strain and a source of embarrassment. In order to avoid having to take part in the conversation I offered to clear away the dishes and wash up after lunch. I was pleased to find my offer was accepted gratefully.

‘I’ll give you a hand as well,’ Anne said.

‘No don’t worry, Anne, I can manage, you carry on talking to your gran,’ I replied.

‘Actually there’s something else you could do for me, Anne, if you don’t mind,’ said Gran.

‘Yes of course I’ll be happy to help in any way I can,’ she answered.

‘I like to have a small glass of sherry each evening, and last night I finished my bottle. Would you mind going to the local supermarket for me and buying another bottle whilst Emily does the dishes for me?’

‘Where do I have to go?’

‘It’s only a five minute walk,’ she said handing her a ten pound note and giving directions.

As soon as Anne left the house, my grandmother turned to me and asked, ‘how is your mother getting on in Europe with her business trip, Emily?’

I blushed as I hadn’t said anything to her about any business trip.

‘So you know who I am,’ I said with embarrassment.

‘Yes I’m afraid so. It took me a little time to figure it out, and I’d never have guessed if you hadn’t opened your mouth, but you’ve done nothing to disguise your voice.’

‘My cousins assured me that it wouldn’t be necessary and that my voice wouldn’t give me away.’

‘It would’ve been fine if you were visiting someone who didn’t know you and hadn’t heard you speak before. For the first half hour of your visit I never doubted that I was speaking to a young woman, but I couldn’t work out where I’d heard your voice before. Then I realised that it was the same voice I’d spoken to many times on the telephone.’

I turned bright red, lowered my eyes, but said nothing.

‘Christopher, would you now mind explaining to me why you’re dressed the way you are, and why you’ve been pretending to be a girl all morning?’

I had no choice but to tell her the whole story of the last two weeks and then explained that I had been offered work as a waitress for the rest of the summer.

‘So you’re intending to dress like this for several weeks.’

‘Yes, I think so.’

‘But surely you could’ve found yourself a summer job as a young man if you’d looked around.’

‘I suppose so, but I’d have had to borrow some money to buy myself some new clothes first, and, to be honest, I’ve been enjoying being Emily and I get on really well with Clare and her friend Jenny at work, and also Karen and Anne at home.’

‘So it would seem,’ she said looking at me more closely. ‘Who helped you to get yourself ready this morning?’

‘Nobody: I can manage to fix my hair and makeup myself.’

‘Well I have to say that you’ve made a very good job of it. What does your mother say about it all?’

I blushed again.

‘She hasn’t yet seen me dressed as Emily yet, but has seen a photograph and has been alright about it so far. We’re going to meet tomorrow evening as she has to change planes at Birmingham and flies out again the following morning.’

Gran shook her head with mild disapproval ‘Your mother travels about so much,’ she said with a sigh. ‘She is due to telephone me this evening, I’ll tell her about your visit.’

I couldn’t work out whether she also was angry with me or not. I assumed that she was.

‘Oh dear Gran, I hope I haven’t upset you, I just wanted to see how you were getting on so that I cantell Mum when I see her tomorrow,’ I said. ‘I know she’s been very worried about you and felt quite guilty that she hasn’t been able to get up to see you.’

‘That may be so, but why did you make up the story about you being Anne’s girl friend?’ she asked.

‘I’m really sorry that we misled you, it was my fault, rather than Anne’s. She wanted me to tell you the truth, but I wasn’t sure how you’d react to seeing me dressed like this. I wanted to come and see you but it wasn’t really practicable for me to change back into Christopher just for one day.’

Gran continued to look stern for a few seconds, but then sighed and began to smile.

‘Alright then, I suppose I must forgive you. I’ll always be pleased to see you even if it is as a granddaughter rather than a grandson,’ she said. ‘What about your aunt and cousins, how do they feel about you dressing as Emily?’

‘My cousins have all been very encouraging and loaned me some of their clothes or jewellery. Aunt Carol freaked a little when she discovered it for the first time, and she insisted that I told Mum, but she now seems to be a little more relaxed about the idea of having a niece rather than a nephew.’

‘Well I too was surprised to see you as a girl, but I suppose how you choose to dress is your own affair, and you do look very nice wearing a skirt and with your long hair.’

‘Thank you for the compliment,’ I said.

At this point Anne arrived back with her purchase. Gran thanked her and slowly took the bottle through to her bedroom.

‘Anne, she knows all about Chris and Emily, she recognised my voice, so I told her everything,’ I whispered as soon as she left us.

‘Is she annoyed with us?’

‘No I don’t think so. I told her it was my fault, and she hasn’t really passed detailed judgement other than to say that I looked very nice. I think she was just curious to know the background,’ I said.

‘Thank heavens for that,’ said Anne ‘I hated trying to pull the wool over her eyes.’

‘So did I, it’s quite a relief now that she knows.

Five minutes later Gran came back to the kitchen carrying two small packages.

‘Anne, here is your birthday present. I’m sorry but I was too ill to be able to send it to you at the right time,’ she said handing over one of the packages.

Anne opened it to find a rather expensive looking gold bracelet. She put it on and then gave Gran a kiss.

‘Thank you so much Gran, it’s beautiful,’ she said, admiring it.

‘It used to belong to my mother. I hope you like it.’

I was glad to have dropped out of the limelight for a while, but now she turned to me.

‘As for you, young lady, I believe it’s your birthday soon.’

‘Yes, Gran, I’m sixteen on Saturday,’ I answered.

‘I’ve already given each of my granddaughters one of my necklaces, and so you’d better have this one. However, you must promise me that when you cease to be Emily and return to being Christopher you must hand it over to your mother to keep, until you’ve a daughter of your own. I wouldn’t want to see them go out of the family.’

I opened the case and found a beautiful silver necklace with rubies, and a set of matching earrings. My gift was not as valuable as Anne’s but to me it was more attractive and feminine.

‘Thank you, Gran, they’re really gorgeous and I promise either to keep them for myself or else to hand them over to Mum.

I gave her a brief hug and a kiss.

‘Do try them on, Emily, so we can see how they look,’ Anne insisted.

I exchanged the jewellery I was already wearing - which I’d borrowed from Clare - for the new set.

‘They suit you very well,’ said my cousin.


Now that my secret was known our conversation during the remainder of the afternoon was much more open and relaxed. We chatted happily together for a couple of hours with Gran asking me more details about my life as Emily and also about how my mother was getting on. At four o’clock we had a final cup of tea and soon afterwards left to drive home.

As we were leaving Anne gave Gran a hug and exchanged a few words, then it was my turn.

‘Thank you for coming to see me Emily, I’m glad you came and hope you’ll come again soon.’’

‘I’d love to,’ I responded.

‘I’ll be talking to your mother about your visit, but don’t worry I’ll tell her how nice you looked and how helpful you were in offering to wash up for me.’

I smiled and then left, both pleased that I had come but equally glad it was all over.

I was exhausted by the strain of the visit and then the feelings of relief. I fell asleep on the way back and it wasn’t until we reached the Shrewsbury ring road that Anne decided to wake me up.


‘How did you both get on with your visit,’ Aunt Carol asked when we eventually arrived home.

‘Very well we had a good time and I think she’s beginning to get a little better,’ said Anne. ‘However she saw through Emily’s secret in no time.’

‘I wondered whether she might,’ Carol said smiling. ‘How did she react to you Emily?’

‘Once she knew the whole story she was fine, and has even given me some of her jewellery for my birthday. But, you might’ve warned me you thought I’d be discovered,’ I replied.

‘Sorry Emily, I thought it possible that she might recognise you, but knew also she would be alright about it. I didn’t want to risk discouraging you from going to see your grandmother. At least you’ll be able to tell your mother about her condition when you see her tomorrow, and now that she knows about you we can all take turns in visiting her,’ she replied.

‘Yes indeed, I suppose I’m quite pleased now she knows the truth,’ I replied.

(Next time I travel to meet Mum
but find a surprise on the way.)

With thanks to Angharad for her help in editing.

up
234 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Louise,

ALISON

'that was just so beautiful.Being accepted by your grandmother is really something.Next step Mum.This story just makes me feel
soooooo good.Thank you.

ALISON

hi

Hi everyone Like being a sexy Crossdressing Male to Female & love all of ur Crossdressing stories1.jpgI love this story alot!But don't u mean April 5 2011?

You are right

April 5 2011!
Louise

Emily and Anne should have

Emily and Anne should have known that you can't pull any wool over a grandmother's eyes. They are all knowing!! Eeek!

Age brings wisdom

This story has so much profundity in it. Yes, young people constantly underestimate their elders, forgetting that there is a wisdom and understanding that only age can bring.

I've seen comments on some stories asking why other commentators spend so much time analysing what is fiction after all, but look at any good fiction, and you see that there is depth and a reflection of the human condition. A story that inspires analysis and comment from its leaders is a story well worth reading.

They Are All So Understanding

joannebarbarella's picture

All of the women and girls in this story have readily accepted that Chris is really Emily, only Aunt Carol showed any reluctance initially. I am sure Mum will be just as receptive. It is only Emily herself who clings to an illusion of returning to a male persona.

Like all your other commenters I am loving this story.

Now only Mom to give her blessings to Emily

The better the story, the more we the reader sinks into the fantasy that good fiction is.
We comment on situations with sage advise, and react emotionally at disaster.
I held my breath during Emily's visit with Grams. (guess it's a good story).

Cefin