A Fortuitous Adventure: 10

Printer-friendly version

Emily

An unexpected arrival
and its implications

A Fortuitous Adventure:
or, how I got my first job

by Louise Anne Smithson


Chapter 10

Aunt Carol’s return

Despite my having fallen asleep so late, I woke at 7.00 on Sunday morning still feeling elated about the events of the previous evening. Clare and I weren't due to work until the following day, but there was no doubt in my mind that I wanted to remain dressed as Emily for the day. In any event, I now had the breasts, long hair and finger nails in place and had also promised Jenny to remain as I was until she arrived. I'd now spent six and a half days as a woman and been promised some more work over the next week. Changing back to become Chris again would have been both time consuming and difficult to reverse on Monday. It was the last thing I wanted to do. Anne had also been very gracious about my triumph the previous night so I wanted to make the day special for her, if I could. I therefore decided that I would get up and make breakfast for everyone.

I took a shower taking care to keep the area between my legs as dry as possible and then put on some clean underclothes and looked through the remaining clothes left behind by the American, for something suitable to wear. It was a bright sunny day and so I chose a pink cotton summer dress and some sandals. I put on just enough makeup to show that I had made an effort and went downstairs.

My three cousins all came down between 9.30 and 10.00am, by which time I'd laid the table, poured some fruit juice for everyone, and even been out in to the garden to collect a vase of flowers for the table. I'd also prepared a large pot of coffee and was in the process of cooking some eggs and bacon. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood after last night, and whilst I finished preparing the breakfast the others watched as Anne opened her various presents and read her birthday cards.

‘Is there something there from Mum,’ asked Karen.

‘No she rang me yesterday to apologise that she hadn't been able to get out and do some shopping,’ replied Anne. ‘She said she'll give me a present when she sees me next weekend.’

‘Well I'm sure she has been busy with Gran, and she did at least pay for the meal last night.’

‘Yes I know, but she might at least have sent me a card; it is my twenty-first birthday,’ said Anne, sounding a little disappointed.


Over breakfast Anne thanked me for my present, and asked me if I'd chosen the items of lingerie myself. I explained that I'd done so with the assistance of Clare and Jenny.

‘I know I originally made a fuss about my having to go as Emily last night, but with hindsight I'm glad I did,’ I admitted. ‘In fact I really enjoyed the evening,’

‘I'm glad you came too. You certainly looked stunning: the eyeballs were nearly popping out of the boys’ heads,’ she replied.

I blushed.

‘If I looked ok last night, it was largely due to the work of Jenny and Clare.'

‘Maybe so, but you performed your role with poise and grace. You've also made a pretty good job of your appearance this morning,’ commented Karen.

‘Thanks,’ I replied feeling pleased with the compliment. ‘However I still haven't got the hang of coping with longer hair.’

‘It just takes a little practice,’ she replied. ‘Where did you get the dress you are wearing this morning?’

‘Clare suggested that I should begin to use the clothes left behind by the American girl.’

‘So what has happened to the clothes that you bought for Chris last Thursday?’ asked Anne.

‘I am afraid we used all the money I had to buy your present and some cosmetics,’ I replied blushing.

‘So it looks as if we'll be seeing quite a bit more of Emily rather than Chris over the next few days then,’ she asked.

‘I suppose so; if nobody minds,’ I answered.

Once again I began to blush a little, but decided to be completely honest with my cousins.

‘I had such a good time yesterday evening, as you all know. In fact I've enjoyed the whole of last week living and working as Emily, and have given up any hope of getting my own clothes or my money back. I'd like to remain as Emily until your mother comes back next weekend. By that time I'll have earned enough money to buy Chris set of replacement clothes and I’ll still have some spending money left for the remainder of the summer.’

‘Of course nobody is going to object,’ said Karen decisively, without even consulting the others; ‘we'll all be happy to have Emily stay with us for another week if that's what you want.’


Jenny came round to the house soon after breakfast, bringing a birthday card for Anne. She was also anxious to find out how Clare and I had got on during the previous evening. She joined us at the breakfast table where we compared notes, and then we had a look at the photographs of Clare and myself that she'd taken the previous evening, before we left. Anne and Karen likewise showed some pictures they'd taken on their mobile phones. Jenny also brought a message from her mother confirming that Clare and I would be needed to work on every weekday over the next week, and asking us to confirm that we'd be available. I briefly discussed our work schedule with my three cousins and checked that they were happy with the arrangements before agreeing that I'd like to do so.

Karen volunteered to do the washing up and Anne went to get herself ready as she was due to go out with her boyfriend in the afternoon. Jenny offered to show me how to deal with my new long hair and so we both went with Clare to her bedroom, where they sat me down in front of her mirror and proceeded to demonstrate how I should brush and clip my long hair into place over the next week. We also chatted about the events of the previous evening. Once again I found myself enjoying the fellowship of just being ‘one of the girls’; this was something that Chris had never really experienced before with members of his own sex.

‘I hear you were dancing with a guy last night Emily, what was he like?’

I coloured a little as I answered.

‘Yes he was quite nice and a good dancer,’ I replied.

‘So will you be seeing him again?’ she asked.

‘He offered to take me out, but I turned him down, claiming that I was busy working and also had a fiancé back home. After all, Emily will only be around for one more week, and it would be unfair to raise his hopes,’ I replied smiling.

Before anything more could be said on this subject Karen came in to the room, looking a little concerned.

‘Clare, mum has just arrived for a surprise visit to bring Anne her birthday present and a card. She's downstairs now talking to Anne and has asked where you and Chris were. I told her that you were upstairs with two friends, and that Chris had gone in to town.’

‘What are we going to tell her about Emily?’ asked Clare, suddenly looking quite worried.

‘I'm not going to tell her anything! Fortunately she is not planning to stay here tonight and will be leaving at about 4.00 pm and so she should have no reason to look in Emily’s bedroom. I suggest that the three of you come down together after a few minutes just to say hello and then Jenny and Emily should leave to go to Jenny’s house. Emily can then telephone me after a half hour or so, as if she were Chris, and ask permission to stay out for the rest of the day.’

‘Will it work?’ I asked.

‘It may do, but I can't think of anything else to do at the moment, other than making a clean breast of everything,’ she replied.

‘Alright, tell her we'll be down in ten minutes, in the meanwhile we'll quickly finish Emily’s hair and refresh her makeup,’ said Clare.


I'd not seen Aunt Carol for more than three years and so I was reasonably confident that she wouldn't recognise me, particularly dressed as I was and with my long hair and makeup. But I was concerned that we'd spoken several times over the phone recently and so I decided to say as little as possible when we met her, just in case my voice gave me away. I was the last to enter the room and was introduced as Jenny’s friend Emily. I smiled and murmured 'hello' and then remained an onlooker as she the others proceeded to discuss my alter ego.

‘How have you been getting on with young Chris?’ she asked.

‘Fine,’ said Clare; ‘he's been no trouble at all.’

‘I know it can be a nuisance to have a younger cousin tagging along but I hope you're looking after him and including him in your activities girls,’ she added.

‘Oh yes, he came out for the meal last night and went dancing with Clare and her friends afterwards,’ answered Anne.

‘So why has he gone out on his own this morning?’ she asked.

‘He's made some friends in town,’ said Karen. ‘We'd no idea that you were planning to come home today otherwise we'd have asked him to stay in until you arrived.’

‘I hope he won't get into any sort of trouble, after all I'm responsible for his welfare,’ she said.

‘Don’t worry, he seems to be quite a sensible young man and is doing fine,’ said Karen.

‘Maybe, but I should like to have a word with him before I go, nevertheless,’ said Carol.

‘He's promised to ring me at lunchtime, so you can speak to him then if you like,’ said Karen.

At this point I looked across at Jenny. She interpreted my message and began to make her excuses saying that she and I would have to leave as we were expected for lunch at her house. We said our goodbyes and again, wished Anne a happy birthday before leaving. I felt a great sense of relief as we walked out of the door.

‘So far so good, but what do we do now?’ asked Jenny as we walked down their driveway.

‘Would you mind if I stayed at your house this afternoon until after she leaves,’ I asked.

‘Of course not Emily, you're most welcome,’ she said.


I followed Karen’s instructions and waited until 12.30 before making the telephone call to her.

‘Hi Karen, it's Chris, I've been invited to have lunch with some friends in town and so I won’t be back 'til this evening,’ I said, as instructed.

‘Hi Chris, that is ok by me, but my mother has just arrived and she would like to have a few words with you,’ she responded. I could hear her handing over the handset to Aunt Carol.

‘Hello Aunt Carol, I didn't know you were coming back today. I'm sorry to have missed you,’ I said.

‘Perhaps I should've warned you, but I wanted to make a surprise visit for Anne’s birthday,’ she replied. ‘I also promised your mother that I'd make sure that you were getting on alright.’

‘Don’t worry about me, I'm fine,’ I said, as confidently as I could. ‘I spoke to mum the day before yesterday and told her not to worry.’

‘So what have you been doing with yourself?’ she asked.

‘I've been working part-time, waiting at table, for the mother one of Clare’s friends.’

I thought it best to keep my story as truthful as I possibly could.

‘What are you doing at the moment?’

‘I'm just at a friend’s house, we're about to have a sandwich and then will be going into town for the afternoon.’

‘So when are you planning to come back?’ she asked.

‘I can get a lift back at about 5.30 pm,’ I said, knowing that she planned to be gone well before then.

‘Can’t you come back a little earlier? I want to have a brief chat with you before I leave tonight.’

‘It will be difficult for me to get a lift home any earlier and you know what the buses are like on Sundays,’ I said, beginning to get anxious. ‘Can’t you tell me over the phone?’

She ignored my question.

‘In that case, let us meet one another at the Burger King restaurant in town at 3.30 this afternoon. I promise not to keep you very long but I'd prefer not to leave today until I have at least spoken to you face to face,’ she said in a voice that would accept no further discussion.

Any further attempt by me at putting her off would clearly only serve to excite her suspicions.

‘Alright then, I'll see you then,’ I said and ended the call.

I let out a deep sigh, wondering what I was going to do.

‘Jenny, my Aunt Carol is determined to meet me in town in just under three hours from now. She's bound to think something is up if I don't turn up. How long will it take you to turn me back into Chris,’ I asked?'

‘Firstly we would need the solvent to remove those breast forms. Do you have any?’

‘No, Karen gave me some but it is in my bedroom,’ I answered.

‘We'll also need Chris’s clothes, which are presumably in your bedroom as well. Is there any way we could sneak back into the house without your aunt finding out?’

‘I doubt it. Perhaps we could text Clare and ask her to bring them over, but what about my hair extensions and finger nails.’

She looked a little downcast.

‘I suppose it'd only take an hour or so to remove your hair and finger nails, but you would still be left with rather feminine looking eyebrows, I'm afraid I did rather get carried away with them yesterday.’

‘Oh dear, they're a bit of a giveaway,’ I commented looking at myself in a mirror.

‘I'm sorry Emily, but I so wanted you to look nice last night.’

I smiled.

‘If you did get carried away it was only because I allowed you to so. I'm equally at fault.’

‘It would be a great shame to have to undo all our efforts of yesterday,’ she said.

‘I know and I'll pay for them to be replaced out of my wages,’ I offered.

‘Professional hair and nail extensions would be quite costly, and I doubt whether you could get them done in time for work tomorrow.’

‘So what do you think I should do then Jenny,’ I asked.

Joyce, who had been listening to our conversation, joined in at this time.

‘What you should do, Emily, rather depends upon whether or not you want to carry on working for me next week.’

‘Oh yes, I'd certainly like to continue working for you, if I may,’ I replied.

‘In that case I think the only answer is for you to tell your aunt the whole truth and ask her permission to continue as you are,’ she said.

‘You mean tell her all about Emily?’

She nodded.

‘Tell her whilst I am dressed as Emily?

‘At least that would have the advantage of showing her how convincing you look and saving yourself a lot of trouble and expense if she says yes,’ she said.

‘But if Aunt Carol finds out then she's bound to tell my Mum as well,’ I answered.

‘Well you'll not be able to keep your activities a secret for ever, and it may be that they'll be prepared for you to carry on working for me after next week,’ she answered.

I sighed, but knew that she was probably right. Had I been in the same situation two days before I'd have had no difficulty in changing back to Chris, but the events of yesterday and this morning had changed everything. They'd convinced me that I wanted to continue living and working as Emily, at least for one more week and perhaps even longer, if permitted to do so. I thought about the implications of what I wanted to do for a minute or two, before responding.

‘Alright then I'll go back and face Aunt Carol, just as I am, and will ask her permission to continue working for you,’ I said to Joyce.

‘Good, I'd be more than happy to employ you in those circumstances. I was never entirely keen about your keeping it a secret from your aunt and your mother.’

Jenny also looked relieved that there was the possibility of a reprieve for her handiwork.

I sat down and composed a text message to Clare:

Have decided to come round to tell all to your mum, prepare for ructions!
Luv, Emily.

A few minutes later a response came:

Ok! I’ll warn the others — good luck!
Luv, Clare.’

‘If you like I’ll drive you over to the house in the car,’ said Joyce.

‘Thanks, but when it comes to going in and facing my aunt it'll probably be better for me to do so on my own, I replied.

(Next timeI have to face my aunt and then
explain to my mother about Emily.)


As the matter has been discussed at some length in blogs recently, let me say that I am happy to receive PMs containing spelling, grammatical and other corrections, and am almost always willing to implement them.

Likewise I always look forward to reading the comments made (thanks Stan who never misses a posting). Once or twice I have made changes to future episodes as a result of comments received but on other occasions I have thought to myself — “you will just have to be patient and wait and see what happens.” Because I do not respond to every comment does not mean that I do not appreciate them. Thanks again!
Louise

up
252 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Louise,

ALISON

'it just gets better and better!

ALISON

Sometimes it is better to

Sometimes it is better to just be forthcoming and honest, and then again, sometimes it is not. We will find out what works best for Emily I imagine when she confronts her Aunt Carol. Hopefully, the Aunt will like having a new niece.

the visitor

well seems i was right about the aunt . still remains to be seen if chirs/emily was set up by his family and all already know whats happening. its one of the few reasons i can think of for an identical bag as his and such nice clothes to never be claimed . not to mention the feminine clothing are a perfect fit lol . so i assume all will turn out alright in the end unless the setup / betrayal is found out.

I Think You’re Right

Not wanting to second guess the author I believe you're right.
Everything seems too perfect with the clothes and the job
as a waitress if he is willing to cross dress. Perhaps the
mother believes her son is more girl than boy and needed to
to know how he would respond given the opportunity to be a girl.

Excellent story.

The jig is up

But now we have to find out what Chris will be wearing while doing said jig ;-)

Kim

A Fortuitous Adventure: 10

Now, he will have to decide just how much he likes being Emily. So far, Chris has had nothing but a great time as Emily. But he also needs to learn about the pitfalls if he is ever outed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Fun Story

Gentle and sweet so far. Thanks for sharing.
I'm looking forward to how it goes with the aunt.

Fireworks ahead?

I'm certainly looking forward to the meeting between Emily/Chris and his aunt! I guess I'm lucky that coming late to this story I just have to click on the next chapter right now!

Oops!

joannebarbarella's picture

OK Emily. It's crunch time. Bite the bullet my dear and see what happens. I'm still not peeping, but I bet the outcome is better than you expect.

Mothers make foolproof lie detectors

I know I'm posting this long after the story was written, for those who follow, these comments of ours are helpful in future development of characters and plots, that said.
I'll bet Emily/Chris's mother knows her son/daughter better then they do themselves. Mothers always know. You can lie to Dad, but never to Mom. I bet she'll be relieved.

Cefin