A Modest Proposal - Part 12

Printer-friendly version

 

A Modest Proposal Part 12
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2022 Melanie Brown

 


 

“How was school today?”

“Don’t ask.”

“I already did,” said Mom as I walked in through the door. “Did anyone notice you were wearing a dress today?”

I plopped down into the couch in front of the TV. “Oh yeah. My dress got lots of compliments.”

“So what’s wrong?” asked Mom as she joined me on the couch.

I sighed and took a deep breath. “For starters, half the school now thinks I’m a whore. My boyfriend dumped me and went back to his old girlfriend. I had a blow up with my best friend. And I have to attend a boy’s health class tomorrow.”

Mom was silent for a few moments. She then asked, “So you’re not wearing a dress tomorrow?”

I stared blankly at Mom and said, “I think a dress wouldn’t be appropriate in a boys health class. But you don’t care the school thinks I’m a whore?”

“Are you?”

I growled, “No!”

Tilting her head, Mom asked, “Who said you were?”

I frowned. “You remember Bat Guano, right?”

Mom wrinkled her nose up for a moment and then said, “Oh. You mean Tony? Why would he say that? You two used to be really good friends.”

I shrugged. “He’s been angry ever since I gave him the nickname of Bat Guano. It’s stupid to end a friendship over something as dumb as that. But anyway, right in front of a large group standing in the hall, when Olivia asked me why I’m so popular with boys, he shouts that it’s because I put out. That’s totally false.”

Mom studied me for a moment “Are you popular with boys?”

“I don’t know,” I said looking at my hands. “I’m very popular with the football team.”

Mom laughed. “I wouldn’t say that too loud, honey. But seriously, is this Olivia that girl you’ve mentioned who always wears too much make-up and dresses flashy?”

I nodded. “That’s the one.”

Mom looked at me seriously. “I know you don’t believe this, but that girl is just jealous of you. No really. She has to work hard to get noticed and you get noticed just standing there. Janet had the same problem with bullies like Olivia. People who know you will just ignore them.”

“Not easy to do,” I said with a grimace. “Today at lunch, a boy asked me to give him and his friends a blow job!”

Mom furrowed her brow. “How did you answer him?”

I grinned. “I slapped the living shit out of him.”

Mom also grinned. “Good for you. Janet did that as well and it’s something I would have done. You can be sure he’ll tell his friends.”

Mom moved so she could stand up. “We never talk. Let’s continue this conversation over dinner.”

I started to stand up. This was a first. She wasn’t kidding. We almost never just chat about things. “Let me go change and we’ll go.”

Mom waved her hand back and forth. “No no. Don’t change. You might want to freshen your make-up. I want to talk to my daughter.”

"I'm not your daughter!" I whined.

Mom gave me an odd look. “Yes. Yes you are. As my daughter, you’re so much easier to talk to.” She chuckled mildly. “I should probably check my make-up too. I’ll meet you by the car. Don’t forget your purse. A girls’ night out will be fun.” She then walked into her bedroom.

I went to the bathroom and smoothed my foundation, re-apply my mascara and lipstick. With all my crying today, I really put my face through the wringer. Being a girl seems like a lot of extra work.

*          *          *

“Good evening, ladies. Welcome to Gildersleaves. My name is Payton and I’ll be taking care of you this evening. Can we start you ladies off with our fine house wine, or perhaps our world famous margarita?”

I thought our waiter asked a silly question because I’m sure I’m an obvious high school student. He was extremely cute so I smiled broadly at him and said, “Just ice tea for me.”

“Of course!” said Payton who then turned to Mom and said, “And for you, madam?”

“Ice tea as well,” said Mom with a slight smile.

Payton smiled pleasantly and said, “Very good madam. I’ll be back with your drinks in just a moment.” He then placed a menu in front of us, turned and headed for the kitchen.

Mom shook her head at me and smiled slightly as she picked up her menu.

I frowned at Mom. “Now what?”

Mom laughed. “Must you flirt with every cute boy you see?”

I narrowed my eyes at Mom. “I wasn’t! I mean, he’s definitely cute, but I wasn’t doing anything!”

“Yes you were,” commented Mom. “That smile you gave him. The tone of your voice and the fact you couldn’t take your eyes off him practically screamed you wanted him.”

“Horse hockey!” I scowled at Mom. “Just trying to be nice doesn’t mean you’re flirting.”

Mom studied her menu. “Well, you got his attention. I doubt his name is really Payton. I’m sure it’s Bob or George or something. ”

I just sat there and fumed at Mom a few moments. I’m not flirting! Despite just having a boyfriend doesn’t mean I want to date boys. Not really, anyway. I picked the menu up and started looking over it myself.

“Mom. Did you notice there are no prices listed on anything?” I said from behind the menu.

Mom shrugged. “This is one of those places where if you have to ask, you probably shouldn’t eat there.”

I lowered my menu. “Are you sure you want to eat here? Taco Bueno is just across the street.”

Mom smiled at me. “I just felt like treating my new daughter.”

Her comment stunned me. “I appreciate it. But I’m hardly your new daughter. This is all temporary anyway.”

Mom sighed. “Yes. This is all fun and games for you now. You get to wear cute clothes and be chased by cute boys and when you’re done with it, unlike your sister, you can just go back to who you were. But in all honesty, I don’t think you will.”

Stunned even more, I said, “How can you say that? Besides, I’m not like a girl at all.”

Mom laughed. “Said the gorgeous girl sitting across from me. Not only are you beautiful and feminine, you have the same taste in men as Janet. You have the same style as Janet. I can’t really see you going back.”

I shook my head at Mom. “How can you say those things? And I have to go back to being me tomorrow.”

Before Mom could respond, Peyton returned with our drinks. He really is gorgeous.

As he set my tea glass down in front of me, I smiled brightly at him. “Thank you so very much!” He smiled back. Mom just grinned and shook her head.

Peyton asked, “Are you ready to order or would you like more time?”

Before I could reply, Mom said, “We’ll both have the baked salmon with the house salad with Ranch.”

Peyton smiled. “Excellent choice, ma’am. I’ll turn this in right now.” He turned and headed for the kitchen.

I frowned. “Why did you order for me?”

Mom shrugged. “This was quicker and I was afraid you’d order a hamburger.”

“I would have liked to have had a say,” I complained.

“You’ll love their baked salmon,” Mom said.

“I’m sure I will,” I said flatly. “But still. I kinda like to make my own decision.”

Mom looked at me rather coldly. “Like the decisions you’ve been making in your life lately?”

I narrowed my eyes at Mom. “What do you mean?”

Mom leaned back in her seat. “What do you want to be, Ronnie? How many times just tonight have you denied wanting to be a girl or having a boyfriend, while every decision you’ve made in the past two weeks has led you to become this very lovely young woman who is very popular with the boys? You claim you’re not interested, yet you flirt with every boy you see.”

All my muscles tensed and I leaned forward to glare at Mom. “What do you want me to do?” I challenged.

“Stop denying your nature,” Mom said very casually. “Honey, son or daughter, I’ll love you just the same. But you need to figure out who you are.”

Well shit.

*          *          *

To be continued…

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Building up...

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

Building up the will she/won't she for tomorrow, I see.

Sweet chapter with mother

Robertlouis's picture

Sweet chapter with mother daughter bonding and a serious crunch at the end.

Well shit indeed.

In fact, there’s enough shit flying around at the end of these chapters to keep an entire wind farm fully occupied.

☠️

"Well shit, indeed"

Hey! I was gonna say that! :-) It sums things up very neatly and succinctly.

Janice

Emma-isms

Dee Sylvan's picture

Thank you for that Yogi!

DeeDee

Now, this fork…

Robertlouis's picture

…which tine? There could be four, after all.

☠️

Well shit

Julia Miller's picture

I don't know what our new girl will do tomorrow, but if it were me, I would stay home and not go. But maybe she can go dressed as girly as she can and see what happens. Now that might be fun. There is no doubt about Ronnie being and acting like a girl.

When I see a person that walks like a girl and talks like a girl and acts like a girl, I call that person a girl. (apologies to James Whitcomb Riley)

Charles Pierce

SammyC's picture

The great American philosopher Charles S. Pierce is credited with inspiring the form of logical inference colloquially called The Duck Test or as we who took Freshman Philosophy preferred...Ab-Duck-tive Reasoning.

Quack quack,

Sammy

Duck test

Julia Miller's picture

You might be right, but I can't find any reference to the "duck test" attributed to him but I did find this when I searched around.

Indiana poet James Whitcomb Riley (1849–1916) may have coined the phrase when he wrote “When I see a bird that walks like a duck and swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, I call that bird a duck.”

You've got this girl thing down to an art...

Dee Sylvan's picture

If Ronnie is looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery- I would tell him to put on his sexiest dress, highest heels, evening make-up look (all close enough to school rules) and let the chips fall where they may. I love the wit and wisdom of mom!

DeeDee

technicalities

I think Mom's trying to figure out whether she needs to file some paperwork to make Ronnie officially enrolled as a girl.

Bleah!

I don't envy Ronnie having to go to boys health class. I definitely wouldn't want to go through something like that again. It was bad enough having to talk about stuff in school that I didn't want to discuss with my own parents. The crude jokes some of the boys made, along with the subtle and not-so-subtle innuendos some of the others made, just turned the experience into a nightmare. I hope Ronnie makes it through at least relatively okay.

I remember taking the boys health class

and going home crying because I finally realized I was not going to have my male parts just fall off

DogSig.png

Mom...

RachelMnM's picture

Helps by pointing out the line in the sand... Ronnie going to figure out which side she's on? Guess that last sentence tells my hope. :-) Cute story, enjoying it - but still worry about Ronnie getting hurt.

XOXOXO

Rachel M. Moore...

choices

Miyata's picture

It's all about choices and chances that we encounter each and every day. Like staying in dresses and heels or returning to work boots and sneakers. Then add 30 years of going the expected way and wishing that you had the circumstance to redo what you put aside. How I wish that my current avatar is what I have viewed in the mirror for the past 30 years instead. Choices indeed!

Miyata312

'Do or Do Not, There is no Try' - Yoda