The Flower

Printer-friendly version

 

The Flower
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2019 Melanie Brown

Sean was just trying to finish his homework

 


 

I was sitting alone at a table in a large common area near one of the dorms. I don’t live on campus, but I like getting my homework out of the way at this location. There’s a large window looking out from the fourth floor out onto the campus.

People don’t pay me a lot of attention, which is good for me. I’m on the scrawny side for a boy. Skinny and only five foot five. A real runt. My parents knew I was going to be on the small side when I was still pretty young. Dad never said anything really, but I could tell he was disappointed I wasn’t the big sports nut he was. I have no idea what he’d think of me now. He died in a car accident when I was ten. Mom insists he’d still love me though I have to admit I’m rather feminine.

I know it’d help – maybe if I cut my hair. I can’t seem to coax facial hair, though I’m kinda glad now I don’t have any. I get mistaken for a girl a lot. Two of the girls I’ve asked out in the past year both looked at me funny and announced they weren’t lesbians. They just laughed when I said I wasn’t either.

Guys hit on me a lot. I just politely decline their offers rather than make a fuss. The first guy who had asked me for a date, not realizing I’m a boy, got offended, and humiliated when I told him I was a boy. He punched me in the gut, kicked me and called me a fag though I never once tried to fool him into thinking I was a girl. He didn’t care that I had no interest in boys. He just kicked me again and told me it was wrong for me try to look like a girl. So now I just turn down invitations without going into any details.

There was some activity across the room and I paused from my school work to look up for a few minutes. At the college, it was The Yellow Rose of Texas Day and guys were buying their girlfriends a bouquet of the yellow roses. I watched as a guy bought a bouquet of roses and then presented it to his girl. She seemed excited to get them, kissed the guy on the cheek, which was against the school’s rules on Public Displays of Affection, but I think the instructors and other school representatives tended to look the other way when this day came around each year.

The happy girl showed her two girlfriends who were there when the boy gave her the flowers and then they started on their way to their next class. Someone accidently bumped the girl holding the flowers and a single rose fell unnoticed by the girl to the floor. She and her friends just walked off down the hall.

I looked at the flower on the floor and shook my head. I’m sure someone will pick it up and carry it off. Kind of hard to miss a bright yellow rose lying on the floor. I went back to my school work.

A few moments later, a yellow rose was placed on top of the papers I was working on. Annoyed, I looked up to see Brad Cooper looking down at me as he stood next to the table. I’d known Brad since middle school. We had gym glass together then so I’m sure he knows I’m not a girl. We were never really what you would call friends.

“Hi.” Brad grinned at me. “I found that on the floor and thought you might like it.”

“Hey. Brad, right?” I grinned at him as I picked up the flower and sniffed it. “Thanks. I saw the girl drop it. I don’t know who she went though.”

Brad smiled nervously at me. “Her loss, right? If you don’t want it, I’ll just toss it. I guess.”

I waved the flower gently in front of me. “No. That’s okay. Thank you.” I set the flower down on top of my books.

Brad waved nervously. “You’re welcome. Well, see ya around?”

I went back to my school work. I have to admit. I really hate Algebra.

A few minutes later, the flower was snatched quickly from my table. I looked up to see a pissed looking girl staring down at me. She was the one who had dropped the flower.

She snarled at me. “This is mine!” She stuffed it back into the bundle of flowers she was still holding.

I shrugged. “That’s fine. Some guy picked it up from the floor and handed it to me. I…”

The girl cut me off and snapped, “Get your own flowers, bitch!” She stormed off.

I sighed and muttered under my breath, “I’m glad I could help you get your flower back. Bitch.” I frowned and went back to my Algebra. I was almost done.

Several minutes passed and I was stuck on one problem. Suddenly a clear plastic wrapper filled with yellow roses was placed in front of me on the table. Surprised, I looked up and saw Brad grinning at me.

I pointed at the flowers. “What’s up with the flowers, Brad?”

He shrugged and looked sheepish. “They’re for you. I saw that girl come and take your rose and saw how rude she was about it.”

I looked at the bundle of roses on the table. “Well, it was her rose after all. It wasn’t mine.”

“That’s true.” admitted Brad. “But still. I saw your smile when I handed you the rose. I really feel you should have those pretty flowers. I mean, you’re very pretty yourself.”

I felt my cheeks redden. “Thank you for saying so. But you know I’m…”

Brad nodded. “A boy. Yes, I understand that. Doesn’t mean I can’t say you’re pretty.”

I looked at the bouquet of roses and smiled. “You got me there. Thank you, Brad, for the flowers. They really have brightened my day. After my next class, I’ll be going home for lunch. I’ll find a vase or something for them.”

Brad started to smile, and then faltered. “You’re not going to just chunk them, are you?”

Trying to look shocked, I said, “Of course not! I’ll put them in my room. Nobody’s ever bought me flowers before.” I stuck my whole face into the roses and took a big sniff.

Brad chuckled. “That surprises me. As beautiful as you are.”

My face reddened even more. “Well, let’s don’t lose sight of who I am.”

Brad nodded. “Right. Well, hey. I’m glad you enjoy your flowers. I’ll let you get back to your math.” He started to turn and then stopped. “I was just curious. It’s Friday night. Did you have any plans?’

Feeling suddenly really annoyed, I asked, “Are you about to ask me out on a date?”

Waving his hand dismissively Brad said, “No. No, of course not. I was just curious. Making conversation is all.”

Against my better judgment, I said, “Well, actually I was thinking of going to a movie tonight. I really need some escapism.”

Brad took a step back towards my table. “Oh? What movie?”

I smiled. “I was thinking of seeing that new Tommy Kincaid movie, “Samurai Ninja Robots from Space”. It’s supposed to be pretty funny and eye candy that’s incredible.”

Brad nodded. “I’ve been wanting to see that one too. I might wait for it to be on Netflix or something.”

“I haven’t been to a theater in a while.” I nodded at Brad. “The theater is the best way to see the graphics.”

“I agree,” agreed Brad. “Well, I gotta run. Catcha later.”

I watched Brad walk away. God I hope he wasn’t going to show up at the theater. I put the paper away I was working on and closed my books and put them in my bag. I looked at the flowers again. They are pretty, I have to admit.

I slung my bag over my shoulder and picked up the bundle of roses. A girl walked by me and sighed. “At least your boyfriend buys you flowers.” She continued on past me.

I said, “He’s not my boyfriend.” But she was already too far away to hear me. I sighed myself and hurried to my next class.

*          *          *

Mom was in the kitchen when I arrived home for lunch. “Hey Mom. Do we have a vase or something?”

I set the bouquet down on the kitchen counter. Mom’s eyes widened when she saw the flowers.

“Honey, those roses are beautiful. Are those for me?” asked Mom as she opened a kitchen cabinet to find a large mason jar.

I laughed. “Actually they’re for me. A boy gave them to me.”

Mom looked curiously at me. “A boy? Do I know him? Is he nice?”

I frowned at Mom’s questions. “You know him kinda. Remember Brad Cooper? He came to my last birthday party back in middle school. I guess he’s nice.”

Mom filled up the jar with water and trimmed the stems so they’d fit in the jar better. “I think I remember Brad. He was kinda cute actually. But why did he give you flowers?”

I paused a moment. I sighed, “He thought I should have them because I’m beautiful.”

Mom looked sideways at me. “You are beautiful. But he thinks you’re a girl?”

I shook my head. “He knows who I am, but he’s acting like he has a crush on me anyway.”

Mom picked up the jar of flowers and placed them on the kitchen table and then sat down. “What do you think of Brad?”

I sat down at the table and looked at my flowers. “He’s nice, I guess. He’s not a jerk or anything.” I paused for a moment and then looked over at Mom. “And no. I don’t want to go out with him.”

Mom spread her arms. “Did I say anything? But hey, I worry about you, Sean. You seem so glum sometimes. You haven’t gone out with a girl since middle school. You know I don’t care if you like girls or if you like boys. I just want you happy.”

I laughed. “Thanks, Mom. But I’m not going to suddenly start liking boys just because one gives me flowers.”

Mom studied me a moment. “He’s right though. You are indeed beautiful.”

*          *          *

Mom dropped me off at the mall and told me to call her when I was ready to be picked up. Since I liked to hit the arcade or get a shake at the Whataburger in the mall, it didn’t make sense for her to try to pick me up right after the movie.

I moved quickly through the crowd standing around outside the mall. It always annoyed me when I’d spot boys looking at me. Girls never look over at me. I was probably getting more looks than usual because Mom had insisted she brush my hair out before I left.

The theater is right at one of the entrances to the mall so I don’t have to go hiking through the mall. Friday night was probably not a good night to choose to go to the movies. It was pretty crowded with lots of people with their dates.

The line was already getting long at the ticket booth. I hurried to the line before it got any longer. It’s hard to tell which movie people are lining up to see. I chuckled at the thought of most of the boys here with their dates were probably being forced to see the romance movie “Standing in Her Fifty Shoes.” Hopefully the girl selling tickets tonight wasn’t the slow one.

A few moments after I’d gotten in line, I noticed three boys who I vaguely knew from my high school days, a whole two years ago, approaching the ticket line. I remember them being total assholes. Since they didn’t come from outside, I assumed they had just come from the arcade.

Well crap. They were heading almost directly at me. I turned to look straight ahead towards the ticket booth.

“Don’t I know you?” asked Ralph, the ring leader. I didn’t look over at him to see who he was talking to. He moved so he was standing directly in front of me. “Hey babe. I’m talking to you.”

I looked up at him. He was so much taller than me and almost all muscle. I felt tiny standing there. I wanted to ignore him, but he was right there in front of me. I nodded to him. “Yeah, Ralph. You probably remember seeing me from high school.” He grinned at me.

One of his friends, I’d never seen him before poked Ralph in the ribs. “She knows your name. She must have the hots for you.”

Ralph smiled at me. “Is that true, babe? You got the hots for me? You know I really dig short chicks like you.”

I laughed despite my growing nervousness. At least I was in a very public place, otherwise I’d be terrified about now. “No. I can honestly say I don’t have the hots for you.” The line moved up in front of me. With Ralph in the way, there was now a gap. “Do you mind moving so I can stay in line?”

This was more than annoying. I’m not trying to look like a girl. It’s not like I’m wearing a skirt or even make-up. It’s just me.

Ralph stepped aside just enough for me to move up in line. He glanced over at the ticket booth and grinned. “You don’t want to see that boring, stupid romance movie do you?” He stuck his hand in his pocket and I could see that he was patting his crotch from his pocket. “Come on babe, You know you want this.”

I turned away from him and shook my head. “Will you just go away, please?” And he was right. I wasn’t planning on seeing the chick flick. But I wasn’t telling him that.

Looking annoyed at being rejected, Ralph exclaimed, “You know how many chicks beg for what I’m offering you?”

Before I could think of a snappy comeback, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

“Hey Shawn. Sorry I’m late. Thanks for saving me a place in line.” It was Brad.

Ralph suddenly looked pissed. “Get lost, chump. I’m talking to this babe here.”

Brad took my hand and stepped close to me. “You’re talking to my girlfriend and she doesn’t look like she wants to talk to you.”

Ralph looked down at me, then over to Brad. Finally he looked over at his friends. “Come on guys. Let’s get out of here.” They started walking to the mall exit. I heard Ralph say as they went out the door, “I really wanted to get a piece of that.”

I relaxed and breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks Brad. I appreciate that. I didn’t think he was ever going to go away!”

Brad gave my hand a squeeze and smiled at me. “You’re very welcome. I was heading for the… um, arcade and saw that guy harassing you.” Something made me sincerely doubt he was heading to the arcade.

I smiled at Brad. “I appreciate that, Brad. That was pretty ballsy of you to confront Ralph. One of his hobbies is beating up people.”

Brad laughed. “He’s just your typical bully. He used to bully me back in middle school until I got fed up and beat the crap out of him in the alley behind my house. He never bothered me again.”

I laughed. “Well, you’re certainly my hero tonight.” I was next in line to get my ticket.

“What movie are you seeing?” asked Brad. I had told him earlier at college.

I pointed at the movie title inside the ticket booth. “Remember? That Tommy Kincaid movie “Samurai Ninja Robots from Space”.” The person in front of me got their ticket and moved away.

Brad pulled his wallet out as he stepped in front of me. “I got this.”

Frustrated, I whispered through clenched teeth. “Brad! No!”

Brad grinned as he waved me off and turned to face the ticket booth. “Two for “Samurai Ninja Robots from Space”, please.” He took my hand and led me away from the booth towards the theater entrance.

I tugged uselessly on my hand to try to free it. “What are you doing? I can pay my own way!”

Brad just shook his head. “I wanted to treat you to a movie. Is that such a bad thing?”

“It is if you’re trying to make this into a date!” I squealed.

Brad shrugged. “Well, don’t think of it as a date.” He led me to the snack bar. “What kind of Coke do you want? My treat.”

I tugged on my hand again. “Dr. Pepper. But I can get my own stuff. Please let go.”

He released my hand, but turned around and bought us both drinks and a big tub of popcorn to share.

I fumed as we walked over to the ticket taker. “This isn’t cool, Brad. You’re forcing me into a date with you. It’s no different than what Ralph was doing.”

After the ticket taker tore our tickets and directed us to the proper theater, Brad smiled at me. “There is a difference.”

I stopped walking towards the theater and glared at Brad. “How is it different?”

Brad grinned broadly. “You’re with me. You turned Ralph down.”

I stood there and sputtered. “But… but… but, that’s not fair! You just assumed I’d go out with you?!”

Brad shrugged. “And you did.”

“You didn’t ask!” I protested.

A middle aged couple walked past us on their way to the romance movie. The woman shook her head. “Youth is definitely wasted on the young.”

Brad lifted his arms in resignation. “I’m not going to force you. You can go if you want. I won’t stop you.”

I sighed heavily. “Why do you want to go out with me?”

Brad paused and looked at me for several moments before answering. “Because a beautiful girl shouldn’t be alone on a Friday night.”

I stepped close to Brad so I could whisper. “I’m not a girl.”

Brad grinning at me. “Oh. You most definitely are.”

I shook my head. “Let’s go find a seat.”

*          *          *

“Thank you,” Brad said to the woman who set our tray down on our table at Whataburger. She picked up our number and hurried off.

I picked up my chicken strips and unwrapped them. “Thanks Brad. You really didn’t have to buy me dinner as well.”

Brad smiled at me. “I just wanted to.” He took a bite of his double-meat, double-cheese burger.

Whataburger was just down the corridor from the theater. It was crowded, but not packed so we… or rather Brad, decided to go there to eat.

The movie had been a lot of fun. Lots of wild action and funny dialog. I always enjoy a Tommy Kincaid movie. His beautiful girlfriend had a cameo. And Brad shocked me. I was steeling myself for two hours of if not outright groping, then Mr. Hands everywhere. But he didn’t do any of that. He didn’t sneak his arm around my shoulder. He didn’t put his hand on my knee or try to fondle a non-existent boob. It was probably a mistake on my part, but I did rest my head on his shoulder.

I held up a chicken strip. “Well anyway. Thanks for dinner and thanks for the movie.”

Brad nodded after taking another bite. His mouth was still full. “I’m glad you enjoyed it. I think it’s one of Kincaid’s best movies so far. My favorite part was that zero G fight scene in the space station.”

I laughed at the memory. “Yeah, that was funny.” I looked down at my chicken and ate in silence for a few minutes.

Brad suddenly leaned in towards me. “Your hair smells nice.”

I rolled my eyes at his obvious line. I couldn’t believe he’d say something like that to me, knowing who I am and all. I turned to give him a smart-ass reply. I didn’t realize how close his face was to mine. My lips brushed against his. Just for a moment.

I froze. Oh my God! Our lips actually touched. A riot of emotions exploded in my head. This was crazy. I shouldn’t feel anything other than disgust. But the unexpected softness of his lips and the electric flash through my soul left me momentarily stunned. My lips still parted slightly, I turned slowly to look at him.

And that’s when he pressed his lips against mine. His fingers caressed the side of my face as he leaned into his kiss. I closed my eyes. I placed my palm on his chest, but I didn’t push him away. Instead I leaned into his kiss. His lips were so soft and wonderful.

He slowly pulled away from my face and he looked shyly at the table. “Sorry.”

“Don’t be.” I gently turned his face back towards me. I leaned in and kissed him. I’ve never kissed a boy before. Never had any desire to. But at this moment, with Brad, it was the most amazing thing ever. Brad pressed his lips harder into mine.

“You kids need to take that elsewhere,” ordered the Whataburger manager. “This is a family establishment.”

We both pulled away from each other, looking sheepishly at the table. Brad looked up at the manager standing next to our table. “Sorry, sir.”

I looked around and people were staring at us. I ate the last piece of my chicken. “Brad. Let’s go.” He nodded, took my hand and led me back to his car.

Brad started his car. “I’ll take you home.” He didn’t back the car out. We just sat silently in his car for a minute. Brad looked over at me and smiled slightly. “That. That was…”

I laughed slightly and grinned broadly at him and finished his sentence. “Amazing!”

He smiled at me and leaned over towards me. He kissed me and then sat up straight and backed his car out of the parking lot.

We drove in silence back to my home. We didn’t even listen to the radio. Just the road noise and our breathing were the only sounds. He finally pulled his car up along the curb by my house.

“I’ll walk you to your door.”

“Thanks.” I studied the floorboards of his car for a moment.

Brad got out and came over to my side of the car and opened my door. He held out his hand to help me out. Getting out of the car wasn’t a problem, but I took his hand anyway. Without a word we walked up to my front porch.

We stood there on the porch silently with Brad playing with my hair and me staring at my feet.

Finally Brad said, “I really enjoyed tonight, Shawn. I’d love to do this again sometime.”

I smiled brightly at Brad. “Oh me too. I had a great time tonight.”

Brad continued to play with my hair. “I can’t next Friday, but maybe next Saturday?”

I grinned. “That’d be great!”

Brad nodded. “Well, I guess I’ll tell you good night.”

We stood there awkwardly for a few seconds. Suddenly, Brad stepped close and put his hand behind my head and bent down and kissed me. A long, solid kiss. I put my arms around him and just melted. I couldn’t believe how I was reacting to being kissed by a boy, but I never wanted this moment to end.

Brad finally stepped back, pulling his fingers from my hair. He smiled at me. “You are so beautiful. Good night.” He turned and started walking down the path to his car parked at the curb. I watched him drive away.

When I entered the house, Mom surprised me by standing in the living room, silhouetted by a single lamp by the couch. She was crying.

I looked down at the floor. “Hi Mom. Sorry. I forgot to call.”

Mom stepped up to me, kissed my forehead and put her arms around me. “Let me hug my beautiful daughter.”

We stood there for several minutes and cried.

*          *          *

The End

up
319 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sweet

Such a sweet story. It's nice that he was introduced to womanhood by someone that already knew him and respected him. It can be easy to go through life thinking of yourself one way and then have it all change in one day.

EllieJo Jayne

Yes that line

That line was the icing on the cake...

Anne Margarete

And the answer...

erin's picture

"What kind of Coke do you want?"

"Dr. Pepper."

Lol. Both the question and the answer are definitely Texan.

Sweet story.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Yellow Rose...

A simple story, nicely written, and a turn some can identify with, I'm one of them.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

What a sweet beautiful romantic story.

It made me smile and my eyes misted up at the end. My husband should be so romantic and thoughtful. Oh well, I was lucky enough to be born the superior gender so I guess I cannot fault one lucky boy for being lucky enough to be mistaken for one of us and find a real Prince Charming. ^_^ Sarah

I am a Proud mostly Native American woman. I am bi-polar. I am married, and mother to three boys. I hope we can be friends.

What an incredibly sweet story.

WillowD's picture

And I came up with that subject line before I noticed that almost every comment here has the word "sweet" in it. Although bitter-sweet might be a better description.

Thank you.

Well...

If she's going to look like a girl on the outside, it's good that she is one on the inside, too.

Really lovely

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

... and a picture of how things ought to be.

Thanks for the story! It really brightened my morning.

- Io

What a beautiful story

BarbieLee's picture

The pace of the story, yes, no, yes, was unbelievably perfect to raise the suspense to an emotional high. Was she or wasn't she going to accept. All the more delicious when the hero kept pursuing her until the unintentional touch of their lips.
Sigh...., if I was into romantic stories wrote for the love interest alone. This one would be at the top. If this one doesn't leave you feeling all warm and fuzzy inside...
always,
Barb
Life is a gift. Don't waste it wishing you had.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Please Continue

DoctorVadarWho's picture

Can you please continue this story it was just getting good

More Please!

cindy.pagent's picture

Melanie,
I agree with the earlier comment, Please Add More Story! This is such a sweet story, I'd like to see it continue, and that the Romance also continue! There is always next Saturday!

And since Shawn looks so Womanly, already, there isn't much she'll have to do to continue this Romance with Brad. I would imagine that since this was such a positive experience for her, that the next time that she goes out with Brad, she would like to look pretty for him. And, her Mother, saying "let me hug my beautiful Daughter" is an indication that she would be happy to help her Daughter look good for that outing. That's where I would take the story next.

And, since they are so young, and in College so much at the start, there is ample time for Shawn to interact with Brad, and lots for him to do, as her Boyfriend. There's lots that she hasn't experienced as a Girl that she should be given.

Cindy Pagent
Authoress of The XX-Files, here on Big Closet

Authoress of The XX-Files

[email protected]

Sweet

So sweet this could be a full length novel.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna