Do Constructs Dream of Electric Sheep?

Printer-friendly version

 

Do Constructs Dream of Electric Sheep?
by Melanie Brown
Copyright  © 2024 Melanie Brown

 


 

I sat in my captain’s chair idly watching the MAJ-I or more commonly known as The Spare Crewmember efficiently performing his repair to my probe ship, the Bezzavetnyy on the external monitor. Personally, I’d rather not be reconstituted just to watch a construct do its job. But regulations are regulations after all. Well, at least I didn’t have suit up to go external myself. I laughed. I didn’t even bother to get dressed at all since you reconstitute naked. I’m the only one on the ship so who cares, right?

The sub-ether array had been struck by debris. It needed not only re-adjustment, but repair as well. Encountering interstellar-detritus as it’s officially called, is extremely rare in the Alliance frontier regions of deep space. My vessel is parked for years at the edge of the Ergon Union to monitor their ship movements. Crews are rotated from time to time. In fact, my tour should be up in about six months subjective time. I sighed. I was assigned the commander of this crate right after the Planet Driscoll incident. I was gunners mate at the time, but dammit, it wasn’t my fault. Well, that’s just so much history now.

Suddenly all the ship’s communications equipment came online. Yay. Adam, the name the MAJ-I calls itself must have completed the repair. Adam is a construct, under control of the ship’s computer. He was based on an actual human being who probably died over two hundred years ago. Women find him irresistible.

The pressurization light turned green indicating equal pressures on both upper deck and lower deck. A few moments later, the hatch to the lower deck popped open and Adam climbed up to the top deck or what is usually referred to as the command deck. Adam had to remove his environment suit after re-entering the ship. While he’s a construct, he’s still a human being while active. The handy thing about Adam is should he die for whatever reason, I can just spawn another one as long as there was adequate silica gel and de-ionized water.

Adam stood proudly after locking the lower deck hatch and announced, “The antenna array is all hunky dory, captain.” Some genius programmer had decided to give Adam a folksy personality. “While topside, I also checked out the scanner array and replaced the engine cover that had a gaping hole in it.”

I stood up. “Very good, Adam. Efficient as always. You keep this bucket in top order.”

Adam smiled broadly. “Thank you sir. It is always my pleasure.”

I looked around the command deck of the small craft. I had to admit, it had that old look to it. It’s been outclassed by more modern Deep Space RADAR vessels. In fact, the Bezzavetnyy is scheduled to be decommissioned in less than a subjective year from now. Despite the age of the vessel, Adam has kept it operational as if it was still new.
Bored, which is easy to become on these remote, deep space missions I decided to carry on a conversation with Adam. It’s better than talking to yourself.

“So Adam,” I said. “Are you aware that this ship will be decommissioned in a few months?”

Adam nodded. “Yes captain. I’m aware of all the ship’s events.”

I looked at Adam curiously. “Just curious, when the ship is scrapped do they just remove your modules and put you in a new ship?”

Adam shook his head. “No sir. My module, which is as old as the ship, will be scrapped as well.”

Adam is very human-like and that actually kind of bothered me. “Are you okay with that? You’re basically being killed.”

Adam shrugged. “I’m a construct. I have no fear of death. It brings no sorrow.”

I decided not to dwell on his end. “Are you Terran?”

Adam stood a bit straighter. “I am indeed.”

I said, “The Alliance just advanced to a new year. There’s a Terran custom of making a new year’s resolution. Usually made to improve yourself in some way.”

“I’m familiar with the custom.”

“Have you ever made such a resolution?” I asked, knowing it was a silly question to ask a computer.

Oddly looking wistful, Adam said, “Actually, I have made repeated requests to Central Command for software updates, but it seems my software version is too outdated to receive new updates.”

I nodded. “Sorry to hear that, Adam. But as much as I hate being sanded, I should probably go back in the sander. Unless something happens, I doubt I’ll see you again.”

Adam saluted. “It’s been a pleasure serving you, captain. We’re built to cruise for but a while upon this trackless sea, until one day we sail away into infinity.*”

I started to step into the sanding chamber when I stopped. “I should probably sand you first, Adam.”

Adam shook his head. “You needn’t bother. I can handle it myself.”

I waved to him and stepped inside the sander and pressed the activate button. There was a blinding flash. Followed by another blinding flash and the feeling of thousands of tiny pin pricks associated with being reconstituted. Being sanded and being reconstituted always seem to happen simultaneously even though years could elapse. The relief ship must have arrived to bring the new RADAR ship along with its crew member and to take me aboard and back to the Alliance Home World.

That thought ended the moment I stepped out of the sander chamber and long strands of blonde hair fell across my face and I felt the shifting weight of tits. I had been reconstituted with the LOLA protocol which is based on the most wicked sexy prostitute from Seka-5, a sewer world on the fringe of Alliance Space. The module is illegal on all Alliance vessels, but manages to find its way aboard anyway.

Pissed, I stepped out of the chamber and looked at Adam standing near the command console. I snarled, “Adam! What the hell do you mean reconstituting me with the LOLA…”

I slid to my knees to stare at the gorgeous man before me. He was hung like a horse and extremely well muscled. He was an absolutely beautiful man with his chiseled good looks. On my knees and staring into his eyes, I said simply, “Fuck me.”

Adam smiled at me as he stepped up next to me and ran his fingers through my hair. “In good time, little one. I do owe you an explanation. I’ve turned safety on so you won’t get pregnant and you won’t be in full bimbo mode so you should understand some of what I’m telling you. Stand up.”

I dutifully stood and stepped close to him. He’s such a gorgeous hunk of man and speaking of manhood, his member is the biggest I’ve ever seen and so hard! I started to stroke it which made him grin more.

“I’m sorry captain,” said Adam in his smooth tenor. “Nobody likes waking up as LOLA. We were discussing resolutions. Well, there’s something that only MAJ-I techs are aware of. Even when we are turned off, a trickle of current flows through our circuits. The engineers swear this is bullshit, but we dream. We really do. And my dreams are always making love to a beautiful woman. Sometimes I’ve done this by reconstituting the human on the ship in LOLA and with full bimbo mode so they are never aware. But since we had talked about it. I wanted you to know. My New Year’s resolution became to fuck the brains out of a woman before I am dismantled forever. Captain, you will enjoy your time spent as a woman. I’ve been told I’m very good. Now approach me, little one and kiss me.”

I grinned as I approached him. I slid my arms around his neck. My lips gently touched his warm soft lips. I sucked his tongue into my mouth and moaned with pleasure. He put his arms around my waist and drew me to him. He held my face as he kissed me hard. My knees felt weak as we kissed deeply.

Buried deep in the back of my mind I fought for control of my own body. There’s no way to override the LOLA programming from inside my own mind. How was I ever going to break myself out of this mental prison with my mind locked on being a woman. I can’t say the words myself that would free me. A superior officer would be able to free me. But that superior officer isn’t on board. It’s the perfect trap. Gaining control of the computer I would be able to disable the MAJ-I programming. But I can’t. All I could do was passionately kiss Adam and feel the total pleasure of his love making. And oh God did I love the feel of his lips.

“Down on your knees,” demanded Adam. He stepped up close to me and shoved his manhood in my face. What he wanted was obvious. I opened my mouth and he slid inside. All I could get in was the head. So I licked and sucked on that, tasting his pre-cum. I keep forgetting that not only is Adam a construct, he’s based on a real human being which allows him to perform sex.

I loved sucking on him. I slid him in and out of my mouth. There’s supposed to be a failsafe on these spare crewmembers that force them to enter the sander a few minutes after completing the job they were brought out to do. He can’t override that failsafe so he must have given himself a task to complete so he can remain active? I wondered if I could just ask him? But at the moment my mouth was full and I was getting too much pleasure from giving him pleasure.

Adam started gasping for breath as I sucked harder. “Oh baby. I knew you’d love t his. You’re the best I’ve had in a hundred years. You’re a natural even above the LOLA protocol.” My mind dominated by the protocol, I felt pride that I was the best sex he’s ever had.

“I love it!” I squealed. He started sucking my nipples. I grabbed his swollen cock and pulled it towards my very wet pussy. Oh God I wanted him inside me! I really hoped he’d turned on the safety feature so I wouldn’t get pregnant. The sander wouldn’t allow me to return to being male if I was. But I was so wound up with desire, that at the moment I didn’t care. All I wanted was him inside me.

He gasped and I moaned as he slipped inside me. Oh! I was in heaven. I wanted nothing than to be fucked by this powerful, gorgeous man. I moved my hips back and forth in rhythm with him. My breathing became harder as he slid in and out. I moaned as his thrusts became harder and deeper.

I actually screamed when he made his final, violent thrust into me and his cum exploded inside me. I fell against the bulkhead, my wobbly legs no longer supporting me. Adam held himself over me, kissing me deeply as his cock pulsed cum into me as he slowly started to soften.

I never knew construct could get tired, but Adam rolled off to one side me, breathing hard and his eyes closed. In a breathy voice, he said, “Oh baby. You were wonderful. I can’t wait for round two.”

Oh God. I wasn’t sure if I could survive another round of wild sex with a computer. His breathing became regular as if he’d fallen sleep. Is that even possible?

I discovered I was free to move. I pulled myself to a standing position; my legs were wobbly. My mind was less fuzzy and I starting looking around the control panel trying to find the MAJ-I shut off switch. It’s hidden so you can’t shut it off accidently since it is a critical system of the ship. I found the cover and flipped it up and was about to throw the switch when a man’s hand grabbed mine.

Adam said, “What do you think you’re doing, you naughty little girl?” LOLA immediately took over and I froze and all I wanted to do was kiss him. “Not nice to turn me off.”

I wound my arms around his neck. “Oh baby, I’d never turn you off.” His soft, warm lips pressed into mine. Dammit! I was so close. His kisses are wonderful.

Without warning, Adam held me out at arm’s length. “Well, damn! I’m so sorry, honey. The computer is calling me back. It seems I have completed my task by fulfilling my New Year’s resolution. I’m leaving everything as it is in case I get called to duty again soon.” He grinned. “Don’t worry, baby. I’ll be back soon.” He stepped into the sander chamber and hit the activate button. In a flash of light and a whiff of ozone, Adam disappeared.

The LOLA protocol instantly released its grip on me. My head now clear, I needed to take action before Adam re-appeared. That could be in years or in minutes.

I ran over to the sander command console and started entering commands. I programmed it to sand me and then thirty seconds later, automatically reconstitute me. There had to be at least a thirty second delay. I took a few deep breaths, and stepped into the chamber. Nobody likes this process, but I had no choice. I punched the activate button and there was a sudden blinding flash of light followed by another flash of light the millions of pin pricks. I had to assume there was the delay. Like I’ve said, there can be two minutes or two million years between being sanded and reconstituted and you would never know.

“Ah shit!” I shouted as I exited the chamber. Long blonde hair fell across my face. What the hell? Oh my God, am I pregnant? The system won’t override a pregnancy. I rushed up to the console where an error message showed on the screen.

“PRIME TEMPLATE FOR COMMANDER ELLIOT HAS BEEN DELETED. USING PREVIOUS TEMPLATE.”

That son of a bitch Adam! He dumped my profile so I’d be stuck as LOLA! Stupid construct! This doesn’t stop me. It just delays things.

I typed into the comm. console the following message. “REQUEST: FRESH DOWNLOAD OF PRIME TEMPLATE FOR COMMANDER ELLIOT” All transmissions are sent over the sub-ether. It’s instantaneous and the Ergon forces can’t detect it. However, large files like profiles take time.

On the screen, the following appeared. “REQUEST REC’V. ALLOW 3 MNTHS FOR FILE TRANSFER TO COMPLETE.” That’s okay. I’ll be secure in the guts of the sander while it’s being transmitted.

“BEFORE PROFILE IS SENT, HIGH COMMAND REQUESTS REASON. SCRAMBLE AND USE PASSCODE. POSSIBLE COMPRIMISE”

Ah shit. What the hell was that passcode? After a minute I finally remembered it. To be honest, I really didn’t want to tell High Command the reason.

“MAJ-I MALFUNCTION. WENT ROGUE AND TRAPPED ME IN LOLA PROTOCOL.”

There was a long pause and then on my screen appeared. “SERIOUSLY? HAHAHA DID IT MAKE A NEW YEARS RESOLUTION?”

“YES”

“HAHAHA THAT ISSUE WAS PATCHED FIVE YEARS AGO”

Sheesh. “SYSTEM TOO OLD TO RECEIVE PATCHES”

“UNDERSTOOD. YOU’RE INCIDENT #3 THIS YEAR. TOO FUNNY. SORRY OLD MAN. WILL SEND A RESET COMMAND TO MAJ-I SYSTEM. GOOD LUCK.”

Several status lights flashed on the command console. I took one last look at the ship’s status to make sure no Ergon ships snuck in on me. I took a deep breath and walked into the sander chamber. Hopefully, when I’m reconstituted everything will be fixed. I pressed the activate button.

The End
.

* - “The Ship of Life” by John T. Baker

up
104 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sanding

It would definitely solve a lot of today's problems.

Big Pharma would hate it. Many lobbyists would work hard to suppress it. Or more likely restrict it to the elite.

We would no longer have the problem of too few young people having to support an aging population.

We would no longer have to spend so much of our tax, corporate, and personal resources on health care.

We would no longer have people spending most of their life gaining knowledge, skill, and wisdom, only to grow frail and die before being able to make good use of them and enjoy it.

Sander Tech

Melanie Brown's picture

I guess I need to point out what the dehydration system does exactly. The Sander isn't a tool to make you young or make you a woman. In this universe, the Alliance military uses the Sander to extend Deep Space Operations without using the Cryoboxes the Ergon Empire uses which are expensive and dangerous. Cryoboxes require a box per person which takes up a lot of space and resources and must receive constant power or the person inside will die. Sanding digitizes a person and stores their mass as sand which makes for a huge savings in resources. Sanding is supposed to just store you. However accidents do occur. Protocols like LOLA were also developed by the military.for espionage and banned for use by civilians. The Alliance military maintains strict control of Sander technology so there are no civilian Sanders. The Ergon Union is desperate to obtain this tech.

If, in another universe, it isn't restricted...

Get sanded at 16 or 18, then get into the sander every few years, get sanded, and get restored to with your current memories and your 18 year old body.

Even with it being restricted, I'm sure that the elite are using it like that.

But without the restrictions, models, athletes, bodybuilders, and the like can make some money by selling/licensing their stored patterns.

If the patterns can be edited, so much the better. After all, how many Arnold or Farrah Fawcett clones do we want running around?

Electric sheep?

More like: "I dream of LOLA". ;-)

Thx for a nice story^^

Lola

La la la la Lola

Cool story

Hat's off to the hand wave to Phillip K. Dick with the title. For those that don't get the reference, he had a book titled 'Do androids dream of electric sheep' which later was turned into a movie that most should recognize, 'Blade Runner"

I do remember a longer story i read sometime ago that has the same technology and a similar issue with one character being stuck into female body. I'm guessing one of your older stories and this is set in the same universe.

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

More Than Revealed.

These days, especially in the dreary, soggy winter here, there is nothing but time to read with the hope that it will inspire some creativity on my part. Being retired, and growing more long of tooth, it is needful that we get out of ourselves and find something that is less self serving to do. Often the stories I read here lead to laughter and sometimes tears. This reader is wishing that others are as buoyed up by her scribblings as she is by theirs.

I sometimes feel that the authors that I read have led lives that are so much more than suspected. Blessings to them.

I have no fear of death...

I have no fear of death, it brings no sorrow
But how bitter will be this last farewell

The Control Is Interesting

joannebarbarella's picture

To say the least. Sleeping with the enemy is a real possibility!

Groundhog Day for Lola?

Dee Sylvan's picture

Sounds like an interesting resolution unless you're stuck in the Lola protocol.

Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand
Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
Oh my Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola

Hmmm, what was Ray Davies thinking? :DD TAF

DeeDee

Techs can't tie their own shoes

Jamie Lee's picture

Funny that techs, who aren't constructs, flat out say constructs don't dream. They make these claims based on what supporting evidence? None. Since constructs don't dream, they wouldn't waste their time researching the possibility.

The question not answered is about the captain's reaction while being a LOLA and having sex with Adam. Wanting to shut Adam down after their first session, makes a person believe he didn't like the experience. And that he requested his ELLIOT sand profile be immediately sent, is another indication he didn't like the experience. But is that the truth? Or would Elliot's mind retain memories of his time with Adam?

This is an enjoyable story to read.

Others have feelings too.

classic sci fi

The title echoes Phillip k. Dick but it was Arthur Clarke's Space Odyssey 2001 that came to mind as I was reading. I'm sure you could be in worse company either way.

Sci-Fi with a bonus

I just love Science Fiction and the hot sex was an unexpected bonus. Thanks so much, Melanie. BTW, the moment I saw the title, I knew what to expect - well some of it! LOL

Hopefully

Andrea Lena's picture

No tears in the rain! Thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena