Anchored - Part 16 "Learning Curves"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Sixteen

 

"Learning Curves"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Friday 25th September
 

"Hi Ellie, how are you feeling today?"

"Sore, Tammy, but the anaesthetic seems to be working."

"How did the surgery go?"

"Fine, at least that's what they said. I can't look yet but is seems there were no complications or unexpected surprises."

"What does that mean?"

"I could be out of here just after the weekend."

"That's great."

"Is it? Your mum said the female boarding house was full and that girls couldn't be at St Andrews except in the sixth form." Ellie's eyes welled up. "I mean, it's not as if I had anywhere else to go."

"We're working on it, the governors are meeting on Monday to discuss the situation."

"I hope so, a ruddy social worker came by on Wednesday afternoon and said they'd handle it."

"That's not good news, but do you have a solicitor?"

"No, I said I couldn't afford one."

"And the school hasn't offered?"

"No."

"Okay, I'll talk to my solicitor and see if he'll handle the paperwork for you."

"Paperwork?"

"New birth certificate, new passport, new national insurance record, new everything. Then we can arrange an injunction against your father on the grounds of mental cruelty and denial of medical treatment."

"Hey, are you sure?"

"Yes, if you want it."

"What about paying, there's no way Dad will pay for it and mum has no money, hell, he'll probably cancel my school fees."

"Is it likely your mother will divorce him?"

"Yes."

"Then we go for the jugular and make you a party to the divorce, I bet the school fees are paid for the year so we have until next July to sort it out."

"I can't do all of that, I wouldn't know how."

"Your solicitor will do it, or will arrange for someone to do it and your father will get the bill."

Ellie was crying now, "thank you, Tammy, thank you."

"Let me make that call, their office is in town."

Tammy spoke to Jeremiah Smith of Smith, Smith & Smith, who passed her onto his brother George Smith.

"I'm afraid Miss Smart that Jeremiah is tied up with the pending court cases involving yourself, your mother and various other parties so can't handle this as well. I have recently specialised into matrimonial and child cases so am willing to do this. Can you give me the details?"

Tammy did as asked then passed the phone to Ellie who confirmed her personal details and various names, addresses and phone numbers.

"He said he'll send someone over with the contract but the initial work is pro bono."

"That's good news, they're an excellent firm. Now, do you need anything?"

"Something to read please, my kindle is on charge."

"Magazine?"

"You'd best see if there are any teen girl mags? There's alot I need to learn."

"Sure. I'll be back shortly Ellie."

Tammy made her way past the nurse's station but was stopped.

"Excuse me, who are you?"

"Tammy Smart, Ambassador for St Andrews School, Ellie's school." Tammy handed over one of her personal business cards.

"We've been told to check all visitors after Wednesday's incident."

"No-one was here when I came past and my mum, the school's welfare officer, told me which bay she was in."

"I see."

"I'm going down to the shop to get some magazines for her and we're expecting a solicitor."

"Right, would you be able to identify the solicitor?"

"Probably, I've used the firm myself a few times."

She was heading to the lift when Dr Wright appeared.

"Hello Doctor."

"Hi Miss Smart, were you able to see Miss Sturgeon?"

"Yes, but I couldn't even get an update on Tuesday."

"We were asked not to give any information over the phone to anyone who couldn't be verified and to screen all visitors. Unfortunately we also had a serious breach on Wednesday. You name was on a list of those who'd called so I verified you, so you shouldn't have a problem again."

"Thanks, just to let you know, we're arranging for Ellie to have a solicitor to sort out the legal issues."

"We?"

"Me and the school."

"Is Ellie aware of this?"

"Yes, she's spoken to her solicitor this morning and we're expecting a solicitor or a clerk with a contract sometime today."

"Which firm?"

"Smith, Smith & Smith, they're in Inverness."

"I'm aware of the firm, I'll let the Charge Nurse know."

"Thanks."

She made her way to the shop without any further issue and browsing the racks when John Hibbert walked past.

"Tammy?"

"Hello John, they sent you?"

"I was just heading out of the door when Mr Smith called me, it's a simple two page contract for Ellie to sign, witnessed by yourself if possible."

"Of course, I just need a magazine or two on make-up, relationships, clothes and everything girly."

"You're the expert."

"Not really, wait a minute and I'll walk up with you."

Tammy took another minute to decide on her purchases then joined John for the ride back up to the fourth floor. As Ellie had only just transferred to the school, she'd never met John but was surprised to find she had both St Andrews Ambassadors.

"So you're a solicitor now?"

"Trainee solicitor, Ellie, which means I'm a glorified clerk. I've years of training before I can call myself a solicitor."

"Okay, when do I hear anything?"

"It'll be after the weekend, possibly mid-week. We'll need to contact your mother, her solicitor, your school in Essex and anyone else relevant. But first we'll need to do a statutory declaration. I have that paperwork here but I'll need a qualified person."

"Would Dr Wright do?"

"Who's she?"

"The doctor who saw Ellie on arrival. She's in the building and knows the case history."

"Okay, but if it's not acceptable then we'll have to do another. This is until we can get the birth certificate re-issued, where were you born?"

"Manningtree in Essex."

"Wasn't that where the Witch Finder General was from?"

"Yes, Matthew Hawkins. We did a history on him in primary school."

With the paperwork all signed, John and Tammy left the hospital, Ellie had started to fall asleep so there was no point staying.

"John, Tanya says you're off on a residential course?"

"Not exactly, I'm starting a law degree in Aberdeen in just over a week but it's four days a week and I'll work out of the Thurso office every Friday."

"So Tanya doesn't know?"

"Not exactly, she's not exactly doing brilliantly at the moment so I don't think she needs this."

"John, you have to tell her. Did you know she hasn't been going to work?"

"No."

"Except yesterday when I forced her she's spent the days watching Jeremy Kyle."

"I thought she was tired from working, I was picking up take-aways."

"I know. I've got her to see the Doctor and there's help coming."

"What do I do?"

"If you want to keep the job then you should discuss it with one of the partners as whether you can put off the degree for a year, until after the baby's born, or do it in Thurso at the university."

"It's not as good a degree as Aberdeen."

"Maybe not, but you can always do that after a year?"

"Okay, what kind of help have you arranged for Tanya?"

"She'll see Dr Adi every Wednesday morning, there's a referral to the new shrink and there will be ante-natal classes. She needs to eat better. You've put on some weight too!"

"I have to skip lunch some days so I have a cooked breakfast in a cafe near the office every morning."

"You're a right pair!"

"I guess we are."

"Look John, I didn't want to interfere but you mustn't keep secrets from each-other and Tanya needs help otherwise she could lose the baby."

"That bad?"

"Yes, this needs sorting immediately." She pulled him tight and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Do it for me, please John, do it for Tanya and do it for the baby."

***

It was midday before Tammy pulled into Thurso, first stop was the salon.

"Hi Tammy, you don't have an appointment."

"No, but I really need to talk to you."

"About Tanya?"

"Yes."

"She phoned me this morning. She was quite upset and thinks you were bullying her."

"I told her some truths, took her to see Dr Adi and insisted she went to do a days work."

"Don't worry, I told her she was over reacting."

"How much did she tell you?"

"Enough to make me concerned as well, I'll go with her to the doctor on Wednesday and the ante-natal classes. What's this about a shrink?"

"It's for pre-natal depression and he'll be available in case she needs him for post-natal care."

"And you arranged all of this?"

"No, I just made sure she saw Dr Adi immediately, the doctor did the rest."

"Can you let me know of anything else?"

Tammy explained her conversation with John.

"Right, so until he gets home we won't know how that goes?"

"Exactly, and it doesn't help for Tanya to keep ringing his office."

"Oh, how did you find out?"

"One of the staff at the firm let it slip."

"I won't be pleased if any other this about Tanya gets out."

"Don't worry Sandy, I won't do anything to add to her woes, so long as she gets the help she needs."

"Agreed, but I'll be the one giving her grief if she doesn't start to look after herself."

 
Monday 28th September
 

Tammy parked at the university, today was the day she became a student, even if she still had no idea about the actual coursework. She was first shepherded towards the large lecture theatre.

"Welcome to UHI. For many of you this is your first experience of post-school education and I assure you this is all together a different experience. For some of you you left school a fair few years ago but the courses are no easier or harder for you than for an eighteen year old, it's just the effort that you put in that makes the difference.

"The rewards are great if you do the work but failure should never be an option. Most of the work here at UHI is distance learning as we can't expect you to travel here daily, although for some there are weekly or monthly seminars and tutor meetings. Please attend these as they are vital to your coursework."

The Principal continued for some time before the students were sent off to the relevant faculties to meet their tutors. There was a familiar face in the Business School.

"So the paperwork wasn't a problem?"

"Not at all Tammy, I'd originally put in for here back at the end of last year but circumstances changed and it was easy to re-instate it."

"So, John, you're doing the same course?"

"Yes, we've decided that I'll specialise in Business Law after all, so no matrimonial cases thankfully."

"How was Tanya at the weekend?"

"Sandy came over on Saturday afternoon and helped Tanya with the housework, she suggested I went for a walk for an hour."

"Did it help?"

"Yes, for both of us I think. On Sunday we went to Sandy's for lunch and Tanya helped her mum in the kitchen, I was told to go off again for an hour so I went down to the harbour where I bumped into Jeri and Lori."

"Sounds good, John?"

"It was relaxing, no pressures. I couldn't go for a drink as I was driving."

The tutor called the group to order.

"I have an envelope here with your background information for your first coursework. This is a warming up exercise and is the same regardless of your specialisation. Indeed it's not until year three that there will be any noticeable differences in the work each of you are doing."

There were some blank faces and mutters across the room.

"Sorry, I just assumed everyone knew who I was. My name is Peter McDermot and I'm a lecturer in the business school. There are tutors for each specialisation and you will be allocated to these now. Each tutor also has an assistant. Your pack contains their names, phone numbers and email addresses although you can also contact them through the website.

"Please raise any issues with your tutors first and only bring it to me if you cannot resolve it. I would add that there are no favours, special treatments or discriminations here at UHI. We'd expect the same from yourselves. Our full policy information is in your packs and is on the website."

All the students now collected their packs and followed instructions to meet their tutors. John and Tammy now headed in different directions, Tammy found herself in a room with twenty others, a mix of ages from eighteen to fifty-something.

"Good morning, I'm Freddie Flint and I think we can get all the jokes out of the way now, please. I'm the tutor for Business Finance so if you're not taking that option, please find the right room now."

A few double checked the label on their packs, plainly uncertain which option they'd taken, but no-one left the room. One, however, did arrive late.

"Ah, my assistant has arrived. I'd like to introduce Martin Gore."

up
425 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

oh

Maddy Bell's picture

Dear!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Could you substitute

Could you substitute specialism for specialisation please. It's making my head hurt.
Ace story as usual. Loving it.

Done!

shiraz's picture

Sorry, usual second proofing was skipped due to daughter needing sleep (see blog for background ). Anyway, that and a few other typos have been corrected using my phone.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Ah, college or university,

Ah, college or university, which ever you wish to call it. I see in the story that Mr. Freddie Flint is the tutor,, and he has an assistant Mr. Gore, and then there is the Lecturer Mr. Peter McDermont. So I have to ask who exactly does the teaching?
The universities I attended had only one instructor per class unless a substitute instructor was needed for a particular time.
Then the real fun thing was to wind up taking a class, using the book written by the person teaching the class. Now that makes you sit up and take notice.

Classes

shiraz's picture

Once I was in a class that was for colleagues who would be local assistants for a new IT system. On day 2 one of the tutors failed to turn up so I was asked to become the second tutor and teach the class I was supposed to be in!

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

As an engineering student.....

D. Eden's picture

All of the classes for my major were taught by a full professor. However, most of the GenEds were actually taught by a TA - the professor would show up the first day or two, hand out the course synopsis, including all major assignments and due dates, as well as a list of reference materials you would need to have, and the dates and subjects for every single test for the duration of the course. Then you wouldn't see him/her again unless you went to their office hours.

For those who attended class (which was a rapidly diminishing number of students as you got farther into the semester), you only saw a TA (teaching assistant to those of you not familiar with the university system in the US) - who was usually a grad student who was being paid to teach.

This pretty much diminished for me after my freshman year as my GenEd classes were all complete by that time. GenEds would have as many as 1000 students in the class, where my engineering classes usually averaged 20 or less students. Of course, hard sciences, math, and engineering tend to be less popular than many other courses.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

and the other shoe drops

Alecia Snowfall's picture

and the other shoe drops.....
"greeting everyone, I'm martin gore, the resident nogood-nik. If there is a Tamara Smart here please indicate as we will be paying a lot of attention to each other, thank you. You may commence with the gratuitous groaning and protesting that the course is off to a proper start."

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

ah yes, the book!

I was also a victim of the, "you should buy my book, it will save you a lot of time and there are only limited copies in the Library" complaints were made but nothing happened! Another good one is when they set some work and there is only one copy of the reference text in the Library! full time students, always on site get to it first and the lowly part time students might get it the day before the papers due.

Tammy is being very philanthropic with the legal fees! good on her, I hope non of it backfires.

And Mr Gore finally makes is apppearance!

thanks.

The Mysterious Mr. Gore

joannebarbarella's picture

Finally we will see who he is.

Tammy is now about to be immersed in University goings-on. The one full professor that I had was a recognised leader in his field and a published author and the worst actual teacher. We all breathed a sigh of relief when his assistant gave the lectures.

The Mysterious Mr. Gore

joannebarbarella's picture

Finally we will see who he is.

Tammy is now about to be immersed in University goings-on. The one full professor that I had was a recognised leader in his field and a published author and the worst actual teacher. We all breathed a sigh of relief when his assistant gave the lectures.

You gotta love Tammy

Even with all the craziness that's surrounding her, what with so many different people wanting to do physical harm or even kill her, she still wants to and takes time to help her friends and family. She doesn't have to do anything with Tanya and John. She doesn't have to help Ellie . Eventually, you hope she gets a respite from all this and manages to get a nice halfway normal, semi peaceful life. In the meantime it's all aboard for full thrill adventure and danger.

Storm clouds forming

Jamie Lee's picture

A lot happening in this chapter. Tanya is getting the help she needs. Some pressure is taken from John's shoulders simply by changing his law interest. And Tammy finally meets the mysterious Gore.

Others have feelings too.