Anchored - Part 6 "Complicated"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Six

 

"Complicated"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

 
Saturday 5th September (continued)
 

"What are the police saying?"

"They wanted to know where I've been, I reported it stolen yesterday afternoon."

"Wouldn't David return it?"

"He claimed I'd been using it all week and he hadn't seen it."

"That's ridiculous, he's lying."

"I know, but Kelly wouldn't let me say that."

"Okay, where are you?"

"In the High St."

"I'm in the car park behind Traill St, can you get to me?"

"On my way."

Tammy drove over to Wick, the car was easy to spot on Wick Quay owing to the fire service and police presence. What struck Tammy was how little damage there was, she'd been expecting a smouldering wreck. The answer was easy.

"There's a tug in the harbour."

"So, Tammy?"

"It will be equipped with water pumps, I bet the crew spotted the flames and drenched it."

A police officer had overheard, he walked over, "that's correct Miss Smart."

"Hello Sgt St James, this is Cathy McPherson, the car's owner."

"Could you tell me where you were an hour ago?"

"I already told an officer the same information."

"I'm afraid it hasn't been passed onto me."

"Well, I was shopping in Thurso."

"Where exactly?"

"Sarah's Boutique."

"Do you have witnesses?"

"Well, yes."

Tammy intervened, "Officer, the shop has six cameras so Cathy's location can be verified."

"That's useful, now do you have any idea who might do this?"

"My sister in law, except she's supposed to be in prison, and my ex husband."

"Divorced?"

"In progress."

"What's your sister in law's name, Ms McPherson?"

"Yvonne Stewart."

"Ah."

"Sorry?"

"I recall the name, can you wait here a moment?"

Stuart St James walked a short distance away to use his radio, but a cordon prevented the girls from getting close to Cathy's car. Despite the limited damage, it was clearly a write-off, both took photos. Tammy's phone rang soon after.

"What's going on?"

"We're in Wick, Hilary, that's Cathy McPherson's car."

"Cathy McPherson?"

"Cathy Stewart, Elsie McPherson's daughter."

"Related to Yvonne Stewart?"

"Yes, Hilary."

"Did you know she'd been bailed?"

"NO!"

"Hey, no need to shout." Cathy was now looking at Tammy's face and didn't spot the police officer returning. Tammy asked Hilary to hold on.

"Sgt, she's been bailed."

"So I have been told, she was released on Wednesday."

"Reporting restrictions?"

"Three times a week at Inverness police station, not that I should be telling you this. She cannot go anywhere near you, Miss Smart, apparently."

"I'd love to know why I wasn't contacted before she was bailed."

"You need to speak to your solicitor."

"On a Saturday afternoon? Yeah." Tammy scanned the area, spotting cameras on pylons, the phone line was still active.

"Hilary, can you access the CCTV in Wick Harbour?"

"Already on it, I'll transfer the relevant footage to your phone in a moment - purely for you to show the officer as it won't qualify as evidence."

"Thanks. I'd also like to know what her bail restrictions are." Tammy cut the call, her phone pinged a minute later.

"Sgt, you should watch this."

The video showed Cathy's car pulling up and a second car stopping a short distance behind. A female got out of Cathy's car and could be seen putting her head back in the car before throwing a lit lighter in through the open driver's door. The car erupted a second later, by which time the woman had almostreached the second car.

The driver of the second car now briefly put her head out. "That's Yvonne!" The car pulled away as soon as the passenger was on board. Thirty seconds later the tug crew react and the car is drenched with sea water.

"Thank you Miss Smart, can you tell me how you obtained that?"

"The company I work for has privileged access to port networks. You'll have to make your own request for that footage I'm afraid."

"Well, it's very rare that we get that type of video, how certain are you that was Yvonne Stewart?"

"Very. I think I know who the other woman was, as well."

"Who?"

"Fiona, she's a friend of Yvonne, I'm afraid I don't recall her surname."

"We'll need a statement."

"Okay, but you'll have to show me the video as officially I don't have access to it."

"Okay, Miss Smart, I recall your life is not straight forward."

"Sorry, but is that enough for you to proceed? I would suggest that this is a terrorist not a criminal matter give that Yvonne was remanded on terrorism charges."

"In which case she shouldn't have been bailed."

"Exactly."

Cathy was stood watching this exchange, unaware of Yvonne's past deeds.

"Terrorist?"

"Yes, Cathy, she provided support for an Albanian gang who tried to kidnap me. The same gang was behind the Air Traffic Control bombing last Christmas."

"Oh, you're frightening me."

"To be honest, Cathy, I'd be frightened for David now. If his usefulness has ended, he could be the next victim."

"Good riddance."

"What if he's being used? I know you wouldn't go back, but it might not all be his fault."

"Really?"

"Look, Cathy, keep an open mind until you have evidence, don't jump to conclusions."

"That doesn't sound like the Tammy I knew?"

"Maybe not, but I've matured a fair bit."

"So what do we do now?"

"Call your insurance company and let them know there's an ongoing Police investigation, then update your solicitor."

"Is that it?"

"The Police will want our statements."

"Your's? I thought that video couldn't be used?"

"That's right, but I'll obtain the CCTV from Sarah's shop and pass that over, establishing your whereabouts at the time of the incident."

"Okay, it's half past one, do we need to stay here?"

"No, let's get back. Are you still okay for tonight?"

"Oh yes, I really don't want to be alone right now."

"I know how you feel Cathy."

They made sure Stuart St James had Cathy's contact details, although Tammy suggested that Kelly Masters should be present at any interview given that this was now at least a criminal matter and at worst a terrorist one. They also obtained the police incident reference, essential for any insurance claim.

Tammy drove them to Dunbankin' so Cathy could use the internet to lodge the claim, whilst Tammy packed an overnight bag. She updated her father, Joan was out shopping.

"Where is she?"

"Tescos at Wick."

"Call mum, and get her back here. Yvonne was last seen in Wick."

Fortunately Joan had just left the store and was on her way back, Angela was in the car and plainly wasn't comfortable judging by the comments when she was asked to keep her eyes open. Richard had the line open for the whole journey back, he didn't want to risk anything given what they now knew.

It took twenty five minutes but Joan arrived without incident, Angela was not happy.

"She's already interfered enough, why again?"

"It's Cathy's case, not our's. Just be careful."

"I'm not going anywhere until she's in custody again."

Tammy shrugged but headed for the kitchen with Cathy in tow. "Have you had lunch?"

"No, it's nearly three as well."

"Damn, I'll just have a banana then."

"I have a packet of Hob Nobs in my bag, chocolate ones."

"Good!"

Tammy's phone pinged, Tanya was claiming an upset tummy so wouldn't be joining them that evening. Tammy immediately phoned Jeri.

"What are you doing for your birthday?"

"Tanya said she was going out so Lori and I were just going to enjoy a bottle of Chardonney in my room."

"Tanya's unwell so is staying at home, was it her weekend in?"

"Yes, but I agreed to swap."

"So un-agree then drag your and Lori's rear ends over to the McPherson house. Bring swimsuits, onesies , clean knickers and PJs."

"And a bottle of vino?"

"Yes, but get moving now as the gates are going to be locked soon."

"Yes Boss!"

Tammy turned to Cathy, "sorry but if Tanya's going to be a bitch there's a much more deserving cause - it's Jeri's eighteenth today."

"That's good thinking, an eighteenth to distract us from the real world troubles. I'll see if Julie can get up here straight away."

"Okay, shall we go?"

Tammy left her Mini in the paddock and took a golf buggy over. The first task was to organise some security and warn the staff that two girls would be over, although Tammy had no idea which car would be used.

Cathy meanwhile had spoken to Julie who suggested another friend, Di. That brought the number to six, meaning that some bedroom sharing would be needed. Some expediency was also requested.

Given the events of the previous ten or so months, the staff were well used to security woes and had often had to improvise before deciding on a set routine. Several trees had come down during recent storms and the trunks were sat by one of the gates. Once everyone had arrived the other gate would be closed and the trunks dragged across using a Landrover.

All of the invited girls arrived in the next half an hour, somewhat earlier than normal but that meant the gates could be secured. Julie had collected Di and was parked next to Lori's van around the back of the house.

They settled in the conservatory. As expected, it was a little tense between Tammy and Julie, but that didn't last long. Cathy decided they should each say a little about themselves.

"I'm Cathy and I'll be single again soon!"

"I'm Tammy and I'm dangerous to be around!"

"I'm Julie and I start work at the Golf Club on Monday!" She was congratulated as she had been appointed as bar manager.

"I'm Diane and I was at school with those two," she pointed at Cathy and Julie, "are we safe here?"

"I'm Lori and I'm at St Andrews."

"Weren't you in the local paper?"

"Yes, Di, I was injured at school so I'm resitting my last year."

"Why were you attacked?"

Jeri answered that one, "we think he was after me. I'm Jeri and I'm working at the school as well as doing my last year."

"Were you in the theatre this morning?"

"The three of us were, Di, I didn't see you there?"

"I didn't go in, Tammy, I didn't think I'd be any use."

"If you didn't audition, we'll never know."

Jeri excused herself, borrowed the keys from Lori and went out to the van. She returned a minute later with her acoustic guitar.

"I thought it may come in useful."

"I'm sorry," said Di, "I need to warm up first and alcohol helps."

It wasn't yet five when the first bottle of wine was opened. Jeri entertained with a couple of songs before they were called for dinner.

Outside there was a loud noise, it sounded like a metallic crunch - perhaps a car versus the estate gates? Di started to look worried although Tammy knew that the gamekeepers would be outside. One shot was heard, Tammy suspected it was a salt cartridge and suggested that maybe a buck was being persuaded back away from the house?

Thomas spoke quietly to Cathy was dessert was brought in.

"It seems someone didn't take the 'closed' sign too seriously and tried to ram the gates. Mother is going to be terribly upset. Anyway, the car was abandoned and the police have been summonsed."

Tammy's phone vibrated, she saw it was a call from Hilary, she left the dining room to take the call.

"Hi, someone just tried to break in here."

"Okay Tammy, to answer an earlier question, Yvonne was bailed due to an error. There was another Yvonne Stewart in the same prison who was due to be bailed but something went wrong."

"Was she supposed to be wearing a bracelet?"

"Yes, but there's been no signal from it since yesterday."

"Bugger, so no way to trace her?"

"No. David has been found though."

"This doesn't sound."

"No, he's dead."

"Can I tell Cathy?"

"Wait until the Police call."

"Out of interest, where was he?"

"In the boot of her car."

Tammy was so glad they'd left the scene before the boot was opened.

"Why haven't the police already told us?"

"The boot wasn't opened until it got to the pound then it was sealed until the CSI team arrived from Inverness. Then they had to identify him."

"How did you find out?"

"Special Branch submitted a report to Emily's unit in London, it was forward to me."

"Okay, thanks, what happens now, Hilary?"

"Unfortunately, when the police do contact her, they are going to need evidence of Cathy's movements over the past twenty four hours, just to rule her out."

"She came into Sarah's shop, can you burn that video to DVD for the police?"

"Sure, I'll do it in the morning."

Tammy closed the call and walked back into the dining room. Hilary may have said Tammy had to keep quiet but her face was full of anguish. Cathy saw it immediately.

"Tammy, what is it?"

"David."

"He isn't?"

"He is, sorry Cath."

Tammy gave her a hug, regardless of the past week, David had still been her husband.

Di asked "How did you find out?" Julie replied that Tammy was "a bloody spook."

"Well, is the news genuine?" Di wasn't sure.

"Yes, it's genuine, I think I should go." Julie stood.

Tammy detached herself from Cathy, "Julie, you can't leave. There's a terrorist running around out there and you've now had a few glasses of wine. Sit down!"

Julie landed heavily then burped loudly, dissipating tension in the room. Cathy unfortunately was not smiling as DS Franklin was being introduced by Thomas.

"Detective Sergeant Franklin, Miss McPherson."

Tammy looked around, "Hi Ben."

Ben Franklin acknowledged her but kept his attention on Cathy, "could we use the study?"

"No, if you have anything to say then let's do it here, with my friends. I'm sorry, Detective but I don't know you."

"I understand, I'm afraid I have some bad news. Are you aware that we found your husband's body earlier today?"

"Tammy told me a few minutes ago."

"When did you last see him?"

"Tuesday morning, at home in Inverness."

"Can you tell me what you've done since then, I'll make notes and then we'll put a statement together."

"Fine, but could Tammy get hold of my solicitor? I won't sign anything without her given that this is now a murder enquiry. So much for the sleepover, girls."

"It's Jeri's eighteenth too!"

That warranted a chorus of "Happy Birthday" with even Ben joining in.

"Oh, Tammy, Sandy reckons you'll make a great director."

"Thanks Ben, but shouldn't you be a police officer right now and not a theatre critic?"

Cathy looked up, "why is my life becoming so complicated?" She burst into tears.

up
413 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yvonne is a serious sociopath

Yvonne is a serious sociopath. Either committing, or being complicit in, David's murder? Her own brother?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Now Yvonne and Fiona are both implicated in murder

Julia Miller's picture

And poor David and Cathy are now collateral damage. Obviously, Yvonne has a vendetta against Tammy and it seems she will stop at nothing to hurt or kill her now.

flour?

Alecia Snowfall's picture

did somebody add some flour? this plot is really starting to thicken! Personally I'm wondering if some money changed hands at the prison Yvonne was in to "blur the vision" of the release official. RKCM.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

the death of David

that's too bad.

DogSig.png

As long as the friend doesn't

As long as the friend doesn't say "Donald, where's your trousers?", they should be fine.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Safest Place In Britain

joannebarbarella's picture

A couple of years ago a crowd of ordinary Glaswegians took down a terrorist gang who were trying to bomb the airport with their bare hands. They don't back off there.

Cathy right now, would not

Cathy right now, would not have any luck at all if it were not for bad luck. Hope she gets removed from the suspect list very rapidly by the police.

Say cheese

Jamie Lee's picture

Seems strange that with the CCTV in place to have a view of the car that it wouldn't be the first thing they'd check. Then the video from Sarah's shop. Those two videos would put Cathy in Sarah's shop at the time two other woman torched the car.

David being found in the boot of the car just raised the charges against Yvonne and Fiona, if that was her. However there's a bigger question, who made it possible for Yvonne to be bailed? Who knew she was the wrong Yvonne Stewart to be bailed? There's an accomplice of this whole group at the prison, a security breach that needs plugged.

Wonder who tried to crash their party? Pretty stupid leaving a car filled with finger prints. And who should investigate, Franklin junior. Funny how he turns up when these things happen. Almost as though he'd been privately tasked for the job.

Others have feelings too.