Anchored - Part 8 "Debrief"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Eight

 

"Debrief"

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 
 
Sunday 6th September 2015
 

The debrief had been intended to start at nine when a team of plain clothed officers arrived although there was a delay whilst Kelly Masters and Jeremiah Smith made themselves comfortable and offered their services to the staff, residents and guests in the McPherson house.

The intention was to ensure there was a snafu-proofed case against Yvonne Stewart and her co-conspirators, although past experience had demonstrated that it was unwise to underestimate her, or the incompetence of the authorities.

Tammy was impatient as it had been made clear that she would be interviewed last. The reason for this, Kevin had conceded, was that many of her activities the previous evening were out of sight, meaning that everyone was being asked about her, her history and her current activities. The team who were conducting the interviews had no prior knowledge of the Smarts, Smalls or McPhersons.

That became pertinent when the local Special Branch Inspector allocated a young Detective Constable to interview her.

"How would you describe your relationship with Yvonne Stewart?"

"Mutual hatred, I suppose."

"Why would that be?"

"She blamed me for encouraging Angela Small to come out as transgendered."

"Why would she be concerned with that?"

"She was in love with Angela's father, George Small, who subsequently took his own life in police custody. I was blamed for that as well during the fatal accident inquiry."

"That hardly seems like a reason for her alleged threats last night."

"Okay, do you recall the air traffic control centre bombings last Christmas?"

"Yes, although I can't see the relevance."

"My mother was caught up in the terrorist's plot although she had no inkling what was being planned. When she went into hiding the gang found me, the intention was to use me to flush out my mother. Yvonne helped the gang, she was arrested and charged with terrorist offences because of that and shouldn't have been bailed on Wednesday."

"So take me through yesterday's events."

Tammy had thought long and hard about declaring her possession of a firearm but realised it would create more problems. Thomas had provided the solution to that problem when he'd caught her earlier that morning.

"Miss Smart, are you aware that we have a safe here for any valuables you may have?"

"Is it needed often, Thomas?"

"No, but I suspect you need it this morning, Miss. It's in my office and will be unlocked for a few minutes."

"Thank you Thomas, there isn't a problem, is there?"

"No Miss."

"You seemed to take last night very calmly?"

"I was in the Special Forces, Miss."

"Ah, I'll be back down in a minute."

"Very good, Miss."

The Detective Constable was going through the final moments of the incident.

"Why did you not wait for the police?"

"I didn't know they were coming, not for certain, and I couldn't risk making a phone call in case that led to my capture."

"So how did Fiona Gardner fall?"

"I'm not really certain, I guess she heard me and twisted on the stairs, losing her balance."

"She says you pushed her."

"That doesn't surprise me, she'll blame anyone bar herself. Did anyone see it happen?"

"No."

"Then it's not a problem, is it?"

"We're only seeking the truth here, Miss Smart, nothing more."

"Well, you have it."

"Miss Smart, are you certain?"

Jeremiah Smith intervened, "Detective, Miss Smart has given you her answer, it is not up to you to apportion blame."

The Detective didn't acknowledge Jeremiah and continued, "now, when it was clear Miss Gardner was injured did you call an ambulance?"

"No, I couldn't see her and had no idea if she was faking it. The only person I could see from my position was Thomas, the butler."

"Did he see you?"

"Yes."

"What happened?"

"Yvonne came into view and pointed a shotgun at me, I heard a shot and she went down, that's when I found out there were police officers behind me."

"It's been claimed you were holding the weapon?"

"By who?"

"Miss Stewart."

"She's plainly wrong, DI Edmunds shot her."

"She was quite adamant."

"Did anyone else see me with a gun?"

"No, but .."

"Then she's wrong."

"Moving on, why did you put yourself at risk?"

"Because I care for my friends, they were in that situation because of me."

"It was still rather stupid?"

Jeremiah wasn't happy, "my client has given you the reason and this can be verified by testimony from the fatal accident inquiry, as well as information held by the Metropolitan Police. If you persist then I will advise my client to withdraw."

"Now, Miss Smart, I was unable to do much in the way of background research into you, why would that be?"

"I'm sorry Detective but you're not cleared for that."

"That is an unacceptable answer."

"But correct and as much as I can say. I believe this interview is over, please write up the statement and pass it to Mr Smith for checking, I'm going for a coffee."

Tammy walked, as did her solicitor, leaving the DC alone in the study.

"Now Miss Smart, Tammy, can I have a moment with you in the gardens before you have that coffee?"

"Sure, Jeremiah."

They walked through the conservatory doors onto the patio beyond then turned towards the woodlands. A recovery vehicle was removing a car and the noise masked their conversation.

"In order to advise you I need to know a few things and I need you to be completely honest. What is your relationship with DI Edmunds?"

"Purely business like, naturally."

"Of course, but why was he here?"

"He came here to brief me, and to issue me with some equipment."

"Why would you be briefed?"

"Because of Yvonne and the risk to me and my family."

"He's a counter terrorist officer?"

"Yes."

"So why would he even know you?"

"I've dealt with him before."

"In what capacity?"

"As a victim of crime."

"Have you been involved with that branch of the police for any other reason?"

"I do know several officers in the unit."

"Have you done work for the police?"

"Not as such."

"Another government department?"

Tammy nodded.

"How much training have you had?"

"A few months worth but it's ongoing. I'm sorry but I can't say any more and I shouldn't have said that much."

"Could some of this liaison be attributed to your school work?"

"Yes, many of the contacts came about because of school."

"Would those contacts be available to others at the school?"

"Yes, but as a school ambassador and a prefect I probably had more access."

"Then, considering the problems started by your mother and your school work it's hardly surprising that you have had some dealings with specialist police units?"

"I guess so."

"Then I think can deflect most adverse questioning, Tammy?"

"And quote the Official Secrets Act at the rest?"

"Quite."

"Now, Jeremiah, has anyone said about that car?" It was now trundling towards the main gate on the back of the recovery truck.

"One of the estate workers said it had come through the top gate that comes into the back of the woods, they were repairing the gate this morning."

"Leanne would have known about that access."

"That's likely. Her sister was arrested this morning according to one of the officers."

"She was being quite nasty last night. What was she arrested for?"

"Driving whilst under the influence. Apparently she recovered her car just after six but was still over the limit."

"We did warn her."

"I'm sure you did, anyway it gives the police a reason to search her home for any connection to this incident."

"Does it? Let's go find a coffee."

Di, Jeri and Lori were heading home although Di had a transportation problem. That was solved when Jonathon offered to run her into town, he needed some supplies from Wick to fix the ceiling of the games room.

What Tammy hadn't known was that Yvonne had discharged one barrel over the snooker table, away from the hostages, but hadn't realised they were loaded with salt cartridges rather than shot. The fluorescent lamps had shattered and there were no spares. Come Monday morning someone would have to call the nearest snooker table outlet, the baize had been torn as a result of the salt blast and flying glass.

It was gone one when the last of the local police officers left the house, some hour after the remaining guests and Michael had gone. Tammy and Cathy were sat in the conservatory, sharing a plate of sandwiches.

"She can't get out of this, can she Tammy?"

"Under normal circumstances, no. I'm just hoping there are no complications."

"Like what?"

"I can't say, sorry, but you could get into trouble."

"So you are a spook?"

"No, but I have had rather a lot to do with some shady government departments."

"That explains how you know some people and some things that us mere mortals would only ever see in James Bond movies?"

"Oh, come on, I've never met anyone called 'Q'!"

"But you can obtain CCTV coverage without worrying about the legalities?"

"It's just a matter of asking the right person."

There was a cough from the doorway as DI Kevin Edmunds returned from Dunbankin'. There was an irony that he'd spent more time there than Tammy had over the past twenty four hours, including staying there overnight.

"Tammy, I've been through the statements and it all appears to be in order. I've faxed a set to Jenny."

"Thanks, I still have my report to write but I can't do it here."

"Why not go down to the office?"

"I guess you want to go down there yourself, Kevin?"

"Well, now you mention it!"

"Come on, you're almost transparent! I need to take something down there, to put in the safe."

"That would be an idea."

Cathy laughed, "oh, was it your gun?"

Tammy went scarlet, Kevin wasn't happy.

"Miss McPherson, what do you know?"

"I needed my marriage certificate from the safe for Kelly, we all leave documents here as it's safer. There was a pistol in there."

"Did you say anything to the officers, or anyone else?"

"No, only Thomas and myself have access, Michael hasn't asked for the combination, so I knew Thomas must have been involved. That was good enough for me."

"Well to answer your question, it is Tammy's, but we're going to dispose of it securely."

Tammy left the room to find the butler while Cathy was giving an assurance she wouldn't tell a soul what she'd seen, or heard.

***

Tammy let Kevin into the office, finding Hilary there, with Ben Franklin.

"It's a bit busy for a Sunday? I came here for some peace and quiet to write my report!"

"I was promised some surveillance video, Tammy."

"Okay Ben."

"One last thing though, Tammy, it seems someone's tampered with your official records."

"Like what?"

"It now says you were female from birth."

"Have you queried this elsewhere?"

"No."

Of course Hilary and Kevin were very interested in the conversation, although Kevin hadn't been briefed on this aspect. Hilary picked her words carefully.

"DS Franklin, as you will be aware, anything you learn in this office, unless stated otherwise, is privileged and cannot be repeated elsewhere?"

"Yes."

"It came to our attention a few days ago that Tammy's records were being accessed and partially amended, this includes her National Insurance, National Health and National Intelligence data."

Tammy was aware of the investigation into her NHS data but not the rest.

Hilary continued, "Tammy's records have been locked in their current state and we're examining whether to restore them to their original state."

"I won't even ask how to change the baseline data, what would be the reason?"

"Unclear at this time, but as it stands, officially, Tammy was born female. That is at odds with paper records, school data and personal recollections, in short it's a mess."

"That could create some horrendous issues when the cases come to court."

"Only if they're allowed to come up, we could brief the judge on national security grounds?" Kevin was looking for a way around the problem.

"That would be a Sheriff in Scotland, and they don't always pay heed to advice from London."

"Bugger."

"Yes, Tammy what's your current medical condition?"

"Healthy, Ben."

"That's not what I meant."

"A gynaecologist last week asked me about my periods and talked about childbirth, after examining me."

"And that's been added to your hospital records?"

"Yes."

"What a mess, sorry everyone but you'll have to fix this yourself." Ben stood and let himself out, Tammy took the opportunity to open the safe to deposit her weapon, an empty plastic container was labelled up for her, although the spare ammunition went into a separate steel container.

"I'm glad that's out of the way."

"I'm sorry, Tammy, but it's not as simple as that."

"Why? Hilary?"

"Judging by Kevin's report, you hesitated."

"I wanted to give her a chance to back down."

"She was never going to do that, you should have taken the shot."

"No!"

Tammy started to cry, Hilary and Kevin waited for her to recover.

"Now, Tammy, you are not being blamed. If anything, it's confirmed that your training is inadequate."

"I won't argue."

"Good, we've booked you onto a ten day course that starts on Wednesday."

"Where?"

"Hythe, in Kent."

"That's a few hundred miles away!"

"Yes, it's an urban warfare training centre. There's another centre in Scotland but it's best that you attend the Kent one using your alias."

"Is that the one where the army used to train for Northern Ireland?"

"Yes, but plenty of agencies use it, not just from this country either."

"How do I get there?"

"Take the train tomorrow afternoon, you'll get a ride from Folkestone when you eventually get there!"

"Train?"

"Yes, you can't fly with a weapon. Kevin will go with you."

"I'll best make sure my Kindle is charged. Anything else?"

"Yes, write that report!"

"Okay, okay, just answer me this before I start it? Apparently Leanne was arrested in Inverness yesterday evening but Angela told me she saw her in town around seven and she turned up at the house around eight."

"There was a miscommunication. She was questioned concerning concerning contact with Yvonne but she didn't have the phone with her and claimed it had been lost several days earlier."

"Where was she?"

"Inverness Railway Station, just about to board a train to Thurso. There were insufficient grounds to hold her so she was allowed to go. There was a woman with her, but the connection to Yvonne wasn't made"

"Fiona?"

"Yes, did you know Fiona went to school with Julie?"

 
Monday 7th September 2015
 

"I'm sorry, Sandy, can you handle the rehearsal on Saturday, possibly the one after that?"

"What's up, Tammy?"

"I've been asked, err told, to go on a course. Can you work on the solos?"

"Yes, but I can't do more than one song at a time!"

"Lori will bring her keyboard and Jeri will have a guitar, so would that help?"

"Do they know the music?"

"Yes. There's another girl coming on Saturday, Diane, she has a fantastic soulful voice and I think she would work well in the nightclub scenes, especially if we insert a new song."

"Okay, leave it with me, I guess we wouldn't get much acting done anyway?"

"Thanks, Sandy."

***

"I've had an enquiry about the empty shop."

"Thanks Pru, who from?"

"Smith, Smith and Smith Solicitors."

"Oh, that's interesting."

"Their office manager, Julian, wants to visit this afternoon. Are you free or would you like me to do it?"

"I need to go into town anyway, can you ask them to meet me at three?"

"Will do. If you need to, could you leave the keys with Sarah?"

"Sure. Could you scrub my appointment with Dr Adi?"

"Will do."

Tammy went back up to her room, they still had no maid so she packed her own bags, uncertain what she'd be doing. She could only tell everyone that it was a last minute break before her course started at the end of the month.

She opted for leggings, jeans and sweatshirts, although one frock and a few other separates went in the bag. She'd charged up her Beccy phone but was travelling as light as possible.

Tammy drove down to the Caithness Marine office at two thirty and lodged her bag there before walking into town to do some last minute shopping. Finally, at three, she arrived at the shop.

"Ah, you must be Miss Smart?"

"Julian?"

"Yes, my uncle speaks highly of you."

"Who would that be?"

"One of the partners, Jeremiah Smith."

"Oh yes, we've worked together a few times. Now let me show you what we have."

Tammy let Julian walk around for fifteen minutes, measuring the space and making notes.

"I'd like an electrician to check the place."

"Arrange it with Pru."

"Will do, assuming that's okay I think we'll take it."

"I see, what's the plan?"

"To open a base in Thurso, covering Wick as well. We'll move some of the Inverness staff over."

"Would that include Mr Hibbert?"

"Possibly."

"That would please his wife."

"The one who calls him six times a day?"

"That sounds like Tanya."

They parted, it was virtually a done deal.

Back at the office Tammy loaded her normal documents into the safe and removed Beccy Adams documents. She took her Glock and a spare magazine but, on advice, didn't carry any more ammunition. This went into a make up bag she'd purchased half an hour earlier. She really wanted Kevin to carry it but he'd said she'd signed for it, therefore it was her responsibility. She kicked herself for signing in the first place.

Hilary drove the pair to the railway station having promised to take Tammy's Mini to the garage for a little respray.

As the train pulled out on the first leg of the long journey South, Tammy wondered what she'd agreed to at such short notice.

up
423 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

more travel

and complications! if she gets through the firearms training with no further incidents, University life SHOULD be relativly tame, i do not think, giggle

the nitty, the gritty and the Tammy

Alecia Snowfall's picture

the nitty, the gritty and the Tammy. Well looks like there's still a few questions without answers but that's now n the back burner. Time for Tammy to get in some training as opposed to familiarization/certification. A few 'Regimental or Squadron Lads' may be what Tammy needs. I can't wait!

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

more training

good. She needs it.

DogSig.png

When did Tanya and John get married?

So much happens in Tammy's life.
When did Tanya and John get married, I don't remember that happening. Thanks Shiraz, we are always left wanting the next episode of Tammy's life like yesterday!!

Best wishes
Sophie

John and Tanya àren't married

shiraz's picture

John and Tanya àren't married yet but they do cohabit.
Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Tammy says "that should

Tammy says "that should please his wife" - so the assumption is an elopement.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

who's

Maddy Bell's picture

Paying for all this travel? That's what I, as a taxpayer want to know!

Excellent as usual

Mads


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

urban warfare training centre

jacquimac's picture

That's a new name we all called it "Tin City" like all those made up towns, personally I would have used the one at Lydd the one at hythe was okay but explosived were never allowed or fires to add realism to training.

Lydd

shiraz's picture

Yeah, Lydd... I remember the village well. A very strange place on the Romney Marsh within touching range of Dungeness. It should have been used for a Doctor Who episode - actually it was (Pertwee era). A friend of mine was the village copper and rode up & down Dymchurch Road at silly speeds on Beemer bike. Complete nutter!

Never went onto Lydd ranges, never needed to.

Shiraz

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

I wonder

Why is it that some people have an absolute pathological fear of guns? I understand people that don't like them. I even somewhat understand people that hate them. What I don't understand are those people that demonize them, cringe in terror from them, or expand that hatred to an insane belief that they embody some sort of inherent evil. They're simply inert lumps of metal, tools. That's it. I'd swear there are more people that go nuts when confronted with a handgun than would if they were shown a rabid badger to be placed in their trousers.

Tammy's going to _have_ to learn to get over that fear of them. She can decide to never USE the sucker, but she'll have to learn to get over the fear.

(One thing that main people fail to understand about guns is that they are tools for defense more than for attacking. The problem is that when you make the decision to pull them out - you've just reduced your entire choice selection to 'shoot/don't shoot'. That's it. You can no longer run (without shooting), and you can't put it away unless the threat has ended. The concealed carry courses here in Texas emphasize using your voice before you pull the gun. In fact, you're supposed to warn that you are armed BEFORE the gun comes out, unless you're in immediate threat.)


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Scary

joannebarbarella's picture

That a Government agency (or agencies) can change your basic personal records without you even being aware of it. This is the exact equivalent of identity theft. Suddenly you cannot prove who you are.

Coincidentally, there was a programme on ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) last night about the Port Arthur, Tasmania, massacre where a nutcase named Martin Bryant killed 35 people and wounded as many more again with a military assault rifle which he had purchased over the counter. The most horrifying clip in the show was seeing him being interviewed by the police afterwards, grinning and giggling as he confirmed that the weapon was his.

As a result of that incident our gun laws were changed to virtually ban automatic weapons and change buying procedures to prevent crazies from obtaining weapons. It was an act of great political courage by then Prime Minister John Howard.

The biggest problem with -any

The biggest problem with -any- ban law is this.

Criminals do not obey the law. It's rather a requirement for the job.

Therefore, bans don't help. (See Prohibition in the United States. Also see the rise of Organized Crime at the same time period)

You also appear to have fallen into the 'trap' that the media has driven. 'Assault rifle' does not equal 'automatic weapon'. For example, Automatic weapons have been banned in the US for over 70 years, except with very specific (and strange) licensing. (And, in general, the bans are reasonable, even under the 2nd Amendment. They would not be considered normal 'infantry' weapons.) "Assault rifle" is simply a rifle that's been designed to be 1) lighter, and 2) able to deal with firing more frequently. (open frame stocks, folding stocks, bipods, heat baffle over the barrel, etc). All of the 'assault rifles' you see in private hands are single shot rifles with large magazines, unless they were stolen, illegally imported, or someone built the core of it themselves in a machine shop.

Yes - your average machine shop with a skilled operator can built an entire M-16, capable of fully automatic fire. Or a belt driven machine gun, or even just a Gatling gun.

Claiming that .5% (at best) of the population _potentially_ being abusive with something being a reason for the other 99.5% of the population to _not_ have that item is specious - especially when a large number of the other people can, and have, used that same item properly.

Basically, it's exactly like banning all automobiles because drunks kill people by running them over.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Joanne is correct

'regarding the Australian gun laws where any automatic or semi-automatic rifle is banned but the weapon used in the port Arthur massacre was a Colt AR-15 Carbine ,a civilian version of the M16 Armalite and was semi automatic but would fire as quick as you could pull the trigger.They had a 30 round magazine 5.56 ammo and the murderer used up two mags killing the 35 unfortunate people .And yes ,the bad guys still have guns and some of them even try to prove that the massacre did not happen but try and tell that to the families.
I am 83 years of age and was brought up with guns but I was also taught to respect them .Unfortunately,a lot of people don't !

ALISON

Unacceptable answer

Jamie Lee's picture

Security training doesn't seem to be a required course for the local police officers. Being told an answer can't be given because the officer hasn't the right clearance should give the officer a clue not to pursue that line of questioning. Instead of telling the person that is an unacceptable answer. That officer should have also gotten the hint when Tammy ended the questioning. He might complain because what he was told and what Tammy did, but he won't like the results.

The training Tammy is going to should have been done alone with her time on the firing range. Hopefully the instructor will impress upon her the need to defend herself with a handgun when necessary. And put aside her humanitarian attitude until the threat is neutralized.

Otherwise, a lot of people will be attending her funeral.

Others have feelings too.

Training

While the bulk of field missions Tammy's likely to be sent on would be incognito observation, there may be the occasional scenario where she's faced with an armed assailant alone, and in those (hopefully rare!) circumstances, having a gun and knowing both how to use it and when would likely be a life-or-death matter.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!