Anchored - Part 2 "Relationships"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Two

 

"Relationships"

 

 
Saturday 29th August (Continued)

Angela was crying. They led her to an adjacent room and locked the door. Suzie started the interrogation.

"Angela, was he forcing himself on you?"

"No."

"How did it start?"

"He kissed me, nobody's ever kissed me before."

"And?"

"I liked it, I wanted more."

"How much more?"

"Everything."

"Oh. Does he know?"

"Know?"

"That you're transgendered and pre-op?"

"I don't think so."

"So how long before that was discovered?"

Angela burst into tears, "it's alright for you two!"

"Angela, there isn't a competition."

"Isn't there? That's not how it looks from here."

"Angela, calm down. Your hormones got the better of you."

There was a knock on the door, Tammy opened it gently.

"Is there a problem?"

"Maybe, Michael, Yusuf is in the ensuite next door. Could you please check on him then arrange a taxi to take him home."

"Do I need to know any more?"

"Just one thing, find out what he's doing tomorrow."

"Okay."

Tammy closed the door. "Angela, Yusuf is going home and we'll deal with him tomorrow. I take it you like him?"

"Yes."

"How did that happen?"

"While you two were playing spies or sitting on beaches I was working at the hospital crèche. Yusuf is a volunteer in the hospital shop now so we started having a coffee together."

"Was he your partner today?"

"Yes, didn't you know?"

Tammy had been asked, of course, if she wanted a partner to accompany her but this was a month or more ago.

"Well, no, I hadn't realised."

"Hadn't realised that I might have grown up a little while you were away?"

"Angela, I've missed you loads and I'm so happy for you, but please be careful."

"Were you?"

"Ouch! Okay, so I ended up screwing my first boyfriend. I was sore for days afterwards." She looked at Suzie who blushed and nodded. "Angela, please don't use me as a role model, has mum had a talk with you about boys?"

Angela shook her head. "Suzie, did she talk to you?"

"Yes, I got it when I was fifteen, I needed it."

"Angela, I needed it too, even though I thought I understood boys. Things change when you have massive amounts of hormones in your body, logic goes flying out of the window."

"I suppose so, sis."

"Okay, get yourself dressed and I'll see if one of the experts can help repair your make-up."

Tammy left Suzie with Angela and just caught Yusuf going out of the main door, he would have to meet his taxi on the far side of the main gate. She found Debbie quickly and asked her to attend to the wayward girl upstairs.

"Tammy, where did the three of you go?"

"Sorry, mum, we needed a wee."

"Where's the other two?"

"Emergency repairs, Debbie's on the case."

"Okay, we're going to have the first dance soon."

Tammy now realised she hadn't used the loo so rushed back upstairs, choosing to use the Rose Room so she'd avoid Angela. In her rush she hadn't latched any of the doors and was a little surprised when John walked into the bathroom as she was sat on the loo. He stared, blushed and backed out.

Tammy giggled, what was up with John?

Finally, all three bridesmaids returned to the party, arriving with arms linked; Angela was the filing in this sandwich. The band were ready: Lori on keyboards, Jeri with a Strat and Mr Thompson on drums. Jeri and Lori were now in matching little black dresses, the Deputy Head was in his black DJ. The music started, the extra soppy "Love Is All Around", Jeri and Lori sharing vocal duties.

Mum and Dad took the first half a minute on the dance floor but the three girls were without partners temporarily.

Tammy was the first to be taken, Dr McIntosh was her escort. Angela was next, Michael stepped in while Suzie was asked by Tanya's brother David. It wasn't long before the floor was full of couples.

The Quartet had also changed into LBDs and took up position next to the band. They joined in as the second song started, Cher's "I found Someone."

Suzie seemed to want to hang onto David, Michael was keeping Angela company but Tammy was without a partner as the second song ended. The music kicked up a gear with "Shout" by Little Eva. Tammy's next partner didn't ask, he just took her hand.

"John?"

He said nothing as they bopped to the two minute tune, which segued into "Let It Be", John's arm snaking around her, pulling Tammy closer. As the song ended her released her slowly and kissed Tammy full on the lips before walking off the floor. Now she was really confused.

Tammy went to the bar and asked for a glass of Chablis, she took it into the quieter marquee which was now rearranged. The staff had managed everything without hassle, she caught the eye of Zara and smiled. Heather came over.

"How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good."

"No boyfriend?"

"It's too soon up here, Beccy was different. What are the two of you doing here?"

"Your father invited us a few weeks ago, but we couldn't say anything because Sophie's work schedule had been so awful. She's officially on leave and we hadn't anything booked so we flew up yesterday."

"It's lovely to see you again, of course, I was wondering if I could come down later in September?"

"Sophie will just be starting her new job so it's best if we didn't have any distractions."

"Sure."

"Daniel came by on Tuesday to see if you'd really gone."

"I could do with him tonight," Tammy admitted, "but it couldn't happen."

"Correct, don't let hormones rule or ruin your life."

In the other marquee the band struck up with "That's Alright Mama" but Tammy didn't recognise the singer. She rushed back, almost spilling her wine, to see the Deputy Head doing an Elvis impersonation from behind his drum kit. That morphed into "Hound Dog", Sophie dragged Tammy onto the dancefloor, she just had time to pass her glass to a passing waitress.

"I didn't know you could dance," shouted Tammy.

"Neither did I," replied the new Detective Inspector.

The Elvis theme continued with "Heartbreak Hotel."

Tammy wondered when the band had had a chance to rehearse, and what was going on with Lori? Or even how did she not know about Mike Thompson? Her respect for the teacher was going up, but hadn't he retired?

She needed another wee and met Joan as they went indoors, sharing one of the bathrooms.

"What went on with Angela?"

"Nothing, really."

"Tammy, the truth!"

Tammy recounted the story.

"That's what Suzie said, what's your plan?"

"Who said I had a plan?"

"I did, remember I and your Dad won't be around for a few days and I don't want my youngest daughter hurt."

"Helen suggested a pool day so I'll invite Yusuf back up here and we'll see where it goes. I can't blame him alone, it takes two to tango."

"True, but don't try to control it, Angela survived the summer without you."

"Okay, mum."

"Having said that, your escapade in Cornwall certainly affected her more than I'd expected, she looks up to you."

"I know, but what kind of role model am I?"

"A human one. Real people make mistakes, screw things up, nobody is perfect."

"Well, I know I'm not, but it's not me usually that starts everything."

"Yes, but you're always in there, somewhere. Try to calm down, anchor yourself. Maybe there will be someone for you, someone you can trust?"

"It may happen, Daniel was a summer fling."

"I was young once. At least you didn't get hurt, in any sense."

"Did you?"

"Yes, but this is not the time. Don't you dare repeat this conversation to your sisters."

"Sure, mum."

Outside the party was back in slow mode, one of her Dad's banking colleagues asked if he could partner Tammy. He was a little clumsy and kept looking as if he wanted to ask her something, she was saved by an older lady, probably his wife, accusing him of cradle snatching.

Tammy went from partner to partner and eventually, towards the end of the evening, ended up with Tanya's fiancée.

"What's up, John?"

"You've changed."

"I know, I'm now who I wanted to be."

"I thought I knew you, even at the end of term I knew you, but now I don't."

"Inside my head is still the same."

"I doubt that."

"Hmmm, what does Tanya say?"

"She says I'm to be careful in case you steal me away from her."

"So why are you dancing with me?"

"She suggested it."

"John, what is wrong with you?"

"I still can't get rid of the images in my mind of you and I sharing a dorm, it was only two years ago."

"Did you fancy me then?"

John fled.

Tammy gave up and headed for the bar, finding Suzie.

"Where's your dance partner?"

"He had a call from his girlfriend and went home. What's up with that lad?"

"He was my room mate for several years at St Andrews. His fiancée is David's sister."

"That explains why he was asking about you."

"Tanya would have schemed that, just as she had John dance with me."

"I've met her, is she always like this?"

"No, not always."

At nine a helicopter landed near the main gates and the married couple departed, initially they were staying in a hotel in Wick before heading away for a few days. No-one knew exactly where.

The party broke up shortly after. The bridesmaids had the offer of staying at Elsie's overnight but decided to go home.

 
Sunday 30th August
 

There were still no house staff at Dunbankin so the three girls had to sort themselves out. Any hope of borrowing Anna or one of the cooks from Elsie was forgotten straight away, she would need everyone.

Tammy threw on leggings and a smock, high fashion it wasn't but she was comfortable. Angela saw no sign of dressing for the day, and was mooching around in a onesie. Suzie had made an effort and was in a long skirt and jumper. Outside it was grey, there had been overnight rain and it was clear that the weather was affecting everyone's mood.

"How about we have a pool party?" Asked Tammy.

"Whatever," was Angela's answer. Suzie didn't mind but offered to make calls. Helen was the first to confirm, but complained it had been her idea. Tammy also asked Suzie to call Tanya, whilst Tammy got hold of Jeri and tracked down Lori. Tanya cried off and Jeri wasn't answering her phone.

Without a cook they tried to plan a menu from the contents of the fridge. Any suggestion of using the outdoor grill was answered by the crack of thunder and the sudden downpour that followed.

Angela was not interested in the discussions, she just stared out of the kitchen window at the darkening skies. The house phone rang, Suzie was nearest.

"We're invited to lunch over there, Elsie suggests we ask if anyone wants to join us, apparently there's a mountain of food to clear."

Angela seemed to brighten a bit and scurried off, phone in hand.

"Okay, we'll be over at half ten with swimming cozzies?" Suzie passed on the message and nodded an acknowledgement. That still left the problem of breakfast, but neither Suzie or Tammy had the energy to cook, they reached for the cereal boxes. Tammy sent Jeri a message with the meet-up arrangements.

***

"That was fun, thanks for the invite."

"Lori, the invite came from Elsie, I'm just glad you were here. The question is, why are you here?"

"Ryan."

"Your brother, is it that bad?"

"Yes, He wouldn't give me any peace and started bringing friends over to tell them I was a boy in drag."

"Didn't your mum intervene?"

"She tried but as she had to go to work she never saw the taunting first hand. It's just the three of us."

"Oh, your Dad left a few months ago, didn't he?"

"Yes, anyway Mum believed me when I told her what Ryan was doing, but he still made my life a misery."

"What was his objective?"

"He wanted me to pay him to keep quiet."

"Blackmail."

"Yes, I couldn't stand it anymore. I called the school and Jeri answered, I guessed she got my job."

"Yes, it worked out for her."

"I'm glad, anyway I asked for permission to come up now and to redo the whole of last year."

"What did your Mum say?"

"She was at work and Ryan was out when I called a cab to the station, I called her from the hotel in Glasgow where I stopped over. She was threatening to call the Police and report me as missing, but I pointed out I was eighteen years old. The compensation was paid directly to me because of my age."

"So does she now accept that you can't live there?"

"Yes, when she calmed down. I'd left some recordings of my brother and his cohorts for her to watch, that got her attention. I can't see what she'll do with Ryan, but at least he's not my problem now."

Lori wasn't getting stressed by Tammy's questioning so Tammy pressed on.

"When did you get back?"

"A week ago, but I asked Jeri and Janet not to tell anyone. I needed to settle in and I wanted last night to be a surprise for you."

"You achieved that! What about your health?"

"So long as I don't overdo myself I'm fine but I won't ever be running the marathon again."

"I didn't know you did it before?"

"No great loss then?"

"That was awful, Lori, what about check-ups?"

"I've spoken to Dr Sutherland and she's sorting out a referral, it'll probably be with the same team who operated on me at the Raigmore."

"So back to Inverness every few weeks for appointments?"

"Monthly probably. What did you think of the band?"

"Amazing, how long have you been playing together?"

"Since last year but that was our first gig. I didn't think it was going to happen as we didn't have a drummer."

"What about Mr Thompson?"

"Mike was originally our drummer but he was going to retire so we've have been pretty well stuffed. It seems that no-one suitable could be appointed so Dr McIntosh asked him to stay for another year while they re-advertise the post. He hadn't found anywhere else to live so that suited Mike."

"He looked happy enough, I never knew he could sing"

"Neither did he, not to that standard, until there were a few tracks that Jeri and I couldn't do. Elvis songs didn't sound right from us girls."

"What do you call yourselves?"

"The Transformers."

Tammy giggled, "was that a school keyboard you were using?"

"No I ordered one for myself so I can rehearse in my room, I'm next to Jeri if you want to visit."

"I can't just walk into the school any more."

"I forgot, Tammy."

"How did you get over here?"

"I drove."

"You have a car, and a licence?"

"I got my licence a year ago but I couldn't use it, of course I had to get the name changed as well. I've just bought myself a little van with power steering that's a cinch to drive."

The pair had hidden in the study for their chat but Helen eventually found them.

"Don't you two want any lunch?"

up
383 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

some good news

Alecia Snowfall's picture

some good news. Lori is doing well now. Now the big question: what's up with John?

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

ah, the hormones ...

they screw you up bad ....

DogSig.png

Thank you Shiraz,

Another great chapter,Tanya will have a fit if John has got the "hots " for Tammy and Lori's brother really needs
a good kick up the fundamental orifice----never a dull moment !

ALISON

Well now Angela is discovering boys

John has an attraction to Tammy at the very least. May even have strong feelings for her. He has a hard time reconciling the fact that the girl he likes now was once his roommate. If he leaves Tanya for Tammy fireworks will ensue. I think he'll sort it all out eventually.

New Relationships

joannebarbarella's picture

There's no way that things won't change now that the physical and mental characteristics of the girls (and boys) have changed, plus maturing!
It will all settle down in time.
I hope Tammy doesn't get into trouble with Tanya over John, but I think she's too smart (pun intended!).

A new family starts

Jamie Lee's picture

They acted like family but now they are a family with the marriage of Richard and Joan. How will the relationships change?

What's Tanya up to having John dance with Tammy? Her jealous streak is showing again.

Can Tammy be a big sister and advisor to Angela while their parents are gone? Or will she do as she's done in the past and step in where she shouldn't?

And what's with Ryan and his attitude toward Lori? No one told him to steal but he did and that got him expelled.

Others have feelings too.

Counselling?

There's definitely something going on with Ryan - he's probably emotionally scarred from the breakup of his parents, and with his elder sibling / replacement male role model transitioning, is taking out his anger on her. Mum having to work, so leaving the siblings alone a lot of the time, probably doesn't help.
His sibling may have been his role model and anchor at school, and he couldn't cope with the discovery of Lori. Actually, thinking back, there may be even more to it than that given the arrangements over his allowance and unwillingness to ask for extra funds when required.

He could do with counselling and likely taking up some kind of organised social activity where there'll be positive male role models for him.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!