Anchored - Epilogue

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Epilogue

 

 

 

Tammy's Tales Book 6

 

Tammy received a phone call on Saturday morning that instructed her to go to Abigail Adams House for the weekend. The reason given was that she needed to be debriefed, this allowed her bodyguard WPC Di Straight some time out. Di rode the tube out to Enfield Town where Tammy was met for the drive to the house.

She arrived just after lunch, Tara Simpson was still there.

"Hello mother."

"To....Tammy, what are you doing here?"

"Probably the same as you."

"Well they said I had valuable information about Freddy and that Hilary woman."

Tammy smiled, Freddy had been Berisha's alias and was responsible for Tammy getting involved in this mess a year earlier.

"Did you know Hilary, Tammy?"

"I came across her."

"She said alot about you." Tammy was saved by a young WPC.

"Miss Smart, could you join us in the study?"

The first session of the debrief had taken from lunchtime until four thirty and Tammy hadn't known the interviewer, a senior detective from a south London division.

"Thank you Miss Smart, we have your statement, perhaps tomorrow we could have the full account of what happened yesterday?"

"That was the full account."

"I suspect not, until tomorrow perhaps?"

Tara Simpson was missing at dinner time, although there was an eclectic bunch of folk present. Tammy's day wasn't over when she left the table as the housekeeper intercepted her.

"You'll have a full medical in the morning, before breakfast, but I'd like you to have a chat with Dr Young."

"Sounds like a shrink?"

"She is, a specialised one."

"Oh?"

"She's waiting for you in the study, I suggest you take your wine with you."

Tammy setted into one of the armchairs, Dr Young had stood to greet her but did the same.

"Hannah, you never said at dinner that you were a shrink, or even that you were a doctor?"

"Didn't I, oh never mind. I'm technically a gender counsellor but I do have a doctorate in psychology."

"I'm not gender confused."

"I wouldn't suspect that you were, but I have been given a potted medical history."

"Really, are you cleared for that?"

"Yes, or I wouldn't even be here."

"So why are you here?"

"I'm the duty shrink this weekend, even if that isn't my day job, and we're here to talk about your experiences over the past few weeks."

"Oh."

"I take it you don't feel comfortable?"

"It's just that no-one has asked me how I felt."

"I understand that much has happened? I'd like to take you back to the end of October."

It had been just over two weeks earlier that the office of Caithness Marine had been near destroyed in a suspected gas explosion, Tammy now had doubts about the cause.

"Did she do it herself?"

"Who?"

"The bureau manager, Hilary, she came after me yesterday morning and it wasn't to say 'hello'."

"How long have you known her?"

"Since Easter, I started working for her a short while later. Now it all seems like I was being played."

"That's serious, how do you feel about her?"

"Betrayed." Tammy's eyes welled up, she reached for a tissue. "I trusted her, I must have been a fool!"

"Was she in a position of responsibility?"

"Yes, head of a covert agency bureau."

"So someone senior posted her there, you weren't given a choice, were you"?

"No, I suppose not, but no-one warned me."

"Perhaps they couldn't?"

"Thing is, I own that building and the shop below had to close because I didn't stop Hilary."

"But, Tammy, how could you have known?"

"I couldn't."

"So it was somebody else's fault? You can't be responsible for everything that goes on around you?"

"Well the next day I shot and killed a woman, I didn't see anyone else pull the trigger?"

"I see, was it in cold blood?"

"No!"

"Then what were the circumstances?"

"It was me or her, there was at least one person dead already and she was going to kill me, I shot first."

"Did you get counselling for that?"

"No, I was arrested and spent a few hours in a cell."

"What's happened since?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"I don't know if there's been a fatal accident inquiry, I wasn't called."

"What's that?"

"It's a Scottish inquest, sort of. Scottish law is different."

"So you have no idea whether you were vindicated?"

"Nope, at least I'm not sitting in Holloway Prison?"

"That's a very negative thought, but were you justified in taking a life?"

"I don't think I was justified, but circumstances dictated that I had little choice. It wasn't just my life in danger at that point, if she had succeeded killing me then any number could have also died."

"So it came down to numbers?"

"No! But I wish she could have stood trial for what she's done."

"So you do regret it?"

"Yes, it would have avoided this interview, I suspect?" Tammy laughed.

"Indeed, now tell me about what happened since?"

That took another two hours of rollercoaster emotions. Tammy was drained by the end of the session, it was gone 9pm when she finally made her way upstairs. There was a box by the bed, a screw top pot and a note had been left on top:
 

Miss Smart,
You should not eat or drink anything but water until after your medical, 08.15 in the medical room. Please pee in the pot in the morning and give it to the doctor.
 
Housekeeper

 
Sleep came through exhaustion, although her mind was replaying the recent events at the crematorium.

Tammy dragged herself into the pool on Sunday morning, she felt tight and had endured a nasty dream that had woken her at six.

"How are you today?"

"How do you think, Hannah? That wasn't easy last night."

"Want to talk about it, later?"

"No, definitely not."

The medical was a standard check-up, so said Dr Hughes. A nurse was also in the room. Tammy handed over her sample.

"Are you on any medication?"

"The pill."

"Okay, let's get the numbers out of the way."

So, height, weight, pulse, blood pressure were all taken. He listened to her breathing and had Tammy touching her nose with her eyes shut. She did as asked, just to get this over with as quickly as possible.

"This is a fasting test, what have you had since nine last night?"

"Just water, and I'm ready for breakfast."

Five vials were filled, thankfully the nurse found a vein at first attempt.

"How are you feeling?"

"That's the second time I've been asked that this weekend, Doctor."

"Well, any medical issues?"

"None, but I'm not as fit as I was."

"I see your weight is about the same as your last medical."

"It's been lower and I've been fitter, are we done?"

"Yes, just go easy on the fried food."

"Is that a medical opinion?"

"No, but it tends to make sense for most people."

She reported to the range after breakfast and her original weapon was returned. "We were told yesterday that it's no longer needed, I'll keep the military issued Glock and see that it goes back to the correct armourer. Sign here, and here."

At ten she returned to the study to be debriefed again, this time she included everything.

"You failed to mention yesterday that you'd drawn a weapon in a public place."

"It wasn't seen and I didn't use it."

"Even so, your close protection officer reported it, and you shouldn't have left it out."

She wasn't in the house long enough to have lunch and wondered what she was going to do as she'd been told to be ready to be collected. The Housekeeper found her in the conservatory around midday.

"Ah, Miss Smart, there's a call for you."

The call was on the secure phone in the study. "It's Jenny, you're not needed until next weekend so I suggest you have some personal time."

"Can I go home?"

"Yes, so long as you have an escort."

"What about Cornwall?"

"We'll discuss that when you return, I'd like you back in London by Saturday lunchtime."

"Okay."

"Have a good week, Tammy, and don't put yourself at risk."

"Sure."

"The housekeeper should have given you a new phone, your previous phone was probably compromised."

"Yeah, I suspected as much.I haven't put it on yet."

"Your contacts should have been transferred, but stay off social media, please!"

"I've managed for a few weeks so far."

"Good, we'll speak in a few days." Jenny hung up.

Tammy was driven to Brent Cross shopping centre, the scene of Berisha's arrest. She made one call on the way, to her father. She was met by WPC Di Straight.

"I'm told we're going to Scotland."

"I only found out half an hour ago that I could go home!"

"Is it cold up there?"

"Well, it's a fair bit closer to the Arctic Circle than London. The trick is to wear layers and have sensible footwear. My snow boots are at home."

"Snow? It's only the 14th of November."

"Yeah, there should be snow. What do you need?"

"Thermals I guess?"

"I hope you're not planning to spend the whole time outside?"

"I thought it would be minus ten?"

"At night on a bad day, maybe, but close to plus ten during the day."

"What train are we catching?"

"Train? If we left at eight in the morning, we might get there by nine tomorrow night - no way! I did that enough times when I was a school.....girl."

"So how?"

"I've asked that we're booked on the 0750 Edinburgh flight from Heathrow in the morning, we get into Wick just after midday. Do you have a passport?"

"Yes, but I'll travel on my military ID card."

They took lunch in the John Lewis restaurant. "My mum wanted me to stay for the Sunday roast, she never understands my work, Tammy."

"I met my mother yesterday, a very uncomfortable experience."

"I thought we'd be staying with your mum in Thurso?"

"It's complicated."

"Your life does seem to be rather complicated."

They were at Heathrow Terminal 5 shortly before seven the following morning. Tammy opted for carry-on luggage only and had suggested to Di the previous evening that she tried to pare down her bag as much as possible.

"Look, if you need a frock you can always borrow something of mine or my sister."

There was the small issue of their firearms and, with hindsight, they should have allowed at least half an hour extra. Naturally, Tammy's entitlement was checked, verified, and checked again. They just made the flight.

"First class?"

"The coffee's free."

"Yeah, but how are you going to claim for it?"

"I'm not."

"Not even my ticket?"

"I'll talk to someone when we get back." She wouldn't, she had enough points to get Di's flights for £50 instead of £400.

They recovered their weapons at Edinburgh from the BA flight and were supposed to stow them in the hold for the turboprop flight to Wick, but no-one seemed concerned. The terminal manager, John Cooper, had seemingly been notified and came in search of Tammy.

"Miss Smart, lovely to see you again, how long has it been?"

"It was nearly Christmas last year, John. This is my friend Diane."

"Are you going home?"

"Yes."

"Judging by the reports I've read, I was expecting a little more security! Are you flying from Wick or going by road?"

"Flying, I think."

"I'll ask the Flybe flight to taxi closer to your hanger and drop you off, if you'd like? It's blowing a six up there at the moment."

"Thanks John, that airfield is a bit exposed."

They went in search of a coffee and a cake.

"Your hanger?"

"Yes, I part own a helicopter firm. I just hope the wind doesn't get up too much more."

"I don't get it, you actually own a helicopter company?"

"Yes, I said I did. Would you like to have a list of the other things I own?"

"Like an apartment in Paris?"

"Had one, think we sold it."

Joan, was naturally overjoyed that Tammy had gone home, albeit for just a few days. She was equally concerned that her step-daughter had arrived with WPC Diane Straight in tow and a commando unit was carrying out training manoeuvres near to Dunbankin', the Smarts' Thurso home.

Tammy did her best to abide by Jenny's instructions but, of course, Angela had mentioned to a few friends that her sister was coming home and it didn't take long for the house phone to ring.

"Why aren't you answering your mobile?"

"Sorry Tanya, but I've had to change my number and I have a new phone, I just haven't got around to letting everyone know."

"But I've been messaging you as well!"

"I've had to give social media up for a while, it's been complicated."

"Complicated?"

"Yeah, when people decide to kill you, that sort of thing."

"Did they? I don't watch the news."

Tammy sighed, she really was living two, or even three, lives and it didn't look like that would change in the near future. Tanya only lived one life, and at times it looked pretty simple.

"Sorry Tanya, I'm only around for a few days then I have to go back South."

"Oh, I'm working or studying all week, then tired most nights, but you could come over?"

"I'll see. How's the bump?"

"Getting bigger."

"Okay, I'll see if we can get over in a few days."

"We? Boyfriend?"

"No, Tanya, a bodyguard."

"Is he good looking?"

"Her name is Diane, I'll text you my number, okay?"

"Sure, John says hi."

Bed on Monday night came earlier than normal, but she slept better that night than for many weeks; the security of her own bed in the family home outweighed any armed guard in reassuring her.

On the Tuesday Tammy and Di had gone shopping.

"Nice car." Di eyed the Mini Cooper in racing green.

"Yeah, now the last scratch and bump have been repaired."

"Are you okay driving, in case of trouble?"

"So you want to try it? Sorry Di, but I'm pursuit trained and more than capable of getting out of trouble; I also know these roads!"

"You never said?"

"I don't drive in London, there's no point." She wanted to say that Di knew very little of the real Tammy but it would have to remain that way.

They decided on an excursion to Wick, Tammy needed a few more bras as she had gone up a size, well half a size, and the band was a little tight. She didn't want to pick up too many clothes as she already wanted to take all of her business-wear back with her.

What Tammy did need was a new pair of trainers and a few pairs of boots, it had rained a few times in the past week and her toes had got wet more than once. Back in Thurso she went to see Sarah.

"How long has the shop been open again?"

"I was only closed until the following Tuesday, thankfully. I saw your sister a few times, but no-one would tell me a thing, I heard stories but I didn't believe them, Tammy."

"Well, I'm still around and I'll be coming back to live in Thurso but I don't know when."

"What about your course?"

"I'll restart it next year, not much I can do about it at the moment. How's business?"

"despite being closed It's pretty good, but we're nearly into Christmas party season so plenty of frocks being sold. The woollens are selling well too."

"Good, I'd like a few jumpers."

Next stop was lunch.

"Don't you ever stop, Tammy?"

"Not in Thurso."

Frances arrived with their jacket potatoes. "Buon appetito Miss Smart."

"Does everyone know you?"

"Yes, that has its downside, I can't even go in disguise around here. However, loads of people also look out for me." There was a wave from the far side of the bar, Tammy waved back. "That's Sandy, the local librarian, her husband is a detective sergeant with the local constabulary."

Tammy's phone rang.

"Hello Elsie, how did you get my number?"

"Tammy dear, I have my methods. Dinner at six, wear a nice dress." She rang off.

"I need a frock. We have an invite to Elsie's."

"Let me guess, posh?"

"Yes, the head of the Clan McPherson has summonsed us."

"Did she mention my name?"

"Not directly, but that's irrelevant."

Tammy called the hair salon and booked them both in for two o'clock.

"That gives us time to have lunch and enjoy it."

"Slow down, Miss Smart, slow down! Don't I get any say in this?"

"Sorry, Di, but this is my territory and things work differently up here."

---

"Tammy, welcome back. Thomas will take your coat, and you must be Diane?"

The introductions continued, although everyone else there was seemingly a McPherson. "This is Cathy, Helen and Michael."

Elsie, naturally, wanted to know everything that Tammy had done over the past few weeks but Tammy suspected she already knew some of it. Cathy's need was more pressing.

"I'm sorry Cathy, I couldn't do anything to stop it."

"You did what you could."

"I killed her."

"She deserved it, for all the terror she caused."

"But I shouldn't have been there."

"I wanted you there, Tammy, and there was nothing any of us could have done."

It seemed that Di hadn't been fully briefed and wasn't aware of the events around David Stewart's funeral. Elsie gave her the headlines.

Helen and Michael kept out of the way, this was the first time Cathy and Tammy had spoken since the funeral of her estranged husband at Inverness Crematorium.

"Where have you been, Tammy?"

"London, North, South and East."

"I saw the news, your car was attacked?"

"I wasn't in it at the time."

"So I found out, there were a few heart-stopping moments."

"I know, I was there!"

Thomas called them into dinner a short while later, Tammy found herself next to Elsie, on the left, and Michael, on the right.

"How's Mark, Michael?"

"We've split up."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"We're still friends but .... the spark had gone."

"Anyone else in you sights?"

"No, and I'm in no hurry. What about you?"

"Not since that summer fling, I really don't think a relationship would be a good idea right now."

Across the table, Helen was interrogating Di, although Di was clearly learning a few things about Tammy.

"Your mother way very concerned, Tammy, I told her it would sort itself out but she wouldn't accept it."

"I know Elsie, I found it difficult to talk to mum because she would want answers that I couldn't give. I was also not allowed any phone calls for about a week."

"I know, dear, I was kept informed."

Tammy didn't want to know who was leaking information, if indeed there was a leak. Elsie knew several retired officers who would not have had access to ongoing investigations but would have been able to put a spin on the newspaper reports - for Elsie's benefit.

They returned to Dunbankin' just before the snow hit. The wind was up to force nine so it was a little hazardous as Tammy piloted the golf buggy along the back lane. Her father met her in the paddock to chain the buggy up and connect the charging lead, so the girls could scoot indoors.

Wednesday was a white-out, the wind had dropped but the snow hadn't ceased.

"Until the snowplough clears a road into town we're going nowhere!"

"What are we going to do then?"

"Swim?"

"Eh?"

"There's a pool in the old barn, did you pack a swimsuit?"

"No, I didn't think ...."

"..... think we'd heard of swimming pools in the Highlands?"

"No, think we'd have time. So, I don't have one."

"I'm sure one of us has a bikini that would fit you? One of Elsie's groundsmen will be over shortly, he and dad are clearing a path between the houses, the same route we used last night. If we need to get out onto the road we can use Elsie's access. They'll also clear the helicopter pad, just in case."

"You amaze me, Tammy, Helen said alot about you last night, I wonder if half of it is true and the rest hyperbole?"

"A year ago I was a sixth former, appearing in a play ... oh, the play!"

"What?"

"I'm supposed to be directing Guys and Dolls, oh damn!"

"A theatrical director too?"

"Yeah, I did Macbeth earlier this year, two separate productions."

"There is much more to you ...."

"Yes, but please keep it to yourself. Now, about that swimsuit?"

Joan hadn't gone into the school because of the weather so helped, finding a bikini that Angela had refused to wear. Angela declined to join them but Helen and Cathy came over once the path was cleared.

The roads were open from late morning so Joan went into school and Angela went off to the hospital. Richard was in the study with Pru, clearly working on something. Tammy wasn't bothered, she didn't have to fret or continually look over her shoulder.

After lunch she suggested Di went for a walk, that took them into the woods behind Elsie's place.

"What's that noise?"

"Which one? It's so peaceful here you can hear for miles. In London you won't hear something twenty feet away."

"That noise!"

"Oh, that's the stags rutting."

"Stags?"

"Yes, there's deer on the Highlands and occasionally they'll come near here."

They turned and walked back, Di was checking her phone. "I can't get a signal!"

"Yep, too far from civilisation."

Suddenly there was a shotgun blast, Di dived and reached for Tammy to get down.

"Get up! That was probably one of the groundsmen, a stag might have got too close."

Di brushed the snow off her coat.

When they reached Elsie's place there was a bit of a commotion, Tammy and Di were ushered into the drawing room by Jonathon. Tammy reached for the TV remote control.

"What are you putting that on for?"

She brought up the CCTV feed from the front door, there was a TV news crew and a couple of other vehicles. Elsie, Richard and a few police officers were also out there.

"Someone's told them I'm here."

"Who?"

"It matters not, they'll get bored or cold and Elsie gets a good argument. My dad loves a word fight, not sure about anything physical though."

"You don't seem to be treating this as a serious risk?"

"Because it isn't, I've been hounded by the press for a year now, over various things. I have a very public persona, so right now it's being decided if I am going to make a statement and, if so, what am I going to say, or if everyone just pretends I'm not here?"

"Don't you get a say?"

"Of course, but Dad and Elsie usually know how to handle things."

Elsie's maid, Anna, supplied them with tea and biscuits whilst the negotiations continued, eventually Richard came in.

"The Fatal Injury Inquiry starts next Monday but it's in camera and it's being held in Inverness. The press are desperate to have a statement, but I've told them you would be risking contempt charges if you said anything."

"How did they know I was here?"

"You were seen having lunch yesterday."

"So much for a quick private trip!"

"Look, the press have realised that they're wasting their time, but I would advise against going into town again."

Elsie arrived having seen them out of the gate, which was locked immediately.

"Now, Tammy, what were you doing tomorrow?"

"Not much, it would seem."

"I've had a request from the Headmaster, if you wouldn't mind talking to the lower sixth again?"

"When?"

"Periods 1 and 2. He suggested you took breakfast there."

---

Tammy and Di flew south on Friday, Di hadn't slept well all week, complaining that it was too quiet. Tammy, however, was realising what she was missing, her family, friends and a safe environment.

Their weapons had to be handed over at Edinburgh and, again, they had the joy of reclaiming them at Heathrow. They were intercepted at Heathrow, Justin was waiting to take Tammy and Di was given the weekend off, until Sunday afternoon.

"What's up, Justin?"

"I've been tasked with taking you to Abigail Adams House."

Tammy arrived in time for a shower before dinner, she was a little surprised to see Dave Brown and Jonathon Meach there.

They made small talk but nothing was said of their true intent until the following morning.

First, after breakfast this time, there was a repeat visit to Doctor Hughes.

"I have your results, you're fine but still a little anaemic, you were prescribed iron tablets?"

"Yes, I didn't have any on me when I had to leave home suddenly, I've got them now so I'll start taking them again."

"Good, but I have a new box for you, don't stop taking them!"

"Is there anything else?"

"No, you're clean."

"I'm pleased to hear it."

She joined Dave and Jonathon in the conservatory for coffee, they suggested the study might be better.

"Okay, what's this all about?"

"We have been told that Jenny's offered you the vacated post of bureau head in Thurso."

"Yes, and I really don't think I'm ready."

"We happen to agree with you."

"So, Dave, why are we having this discussion?"

"Because we've been overruled, so somehow you are going to have to be ready."

"Who's pulling the strings?"

"We don't know, and that's a concern."

"I could refuse?"

"Not recommended, you'd have to go find a real job."

"Okay, but I'm still not ready."

"Jenny has an idea to help get you up to speed."

"I guess that won't include a touch of R&R in Cornwall?"

"Unlikely, but right now I'd suggest not re-opening the bureau until next Spring. That gives us five months or so to make you battle-ready."

"That sounds like I'm going into conflict?"

"That's exactly how it'll feel, these one man operations leave you very isolated and at everyone's mercy. That includes your own managers and your clients."

"And you think that someone is out to get me?"

"Yes, but I don't think it's personal."

"I should feel better about that. What's the view from Customs and Excise, Jonathon?"

"The project is being managed by Border Force now and I don't think they're keen to have a Security Service person running the office again."

"Great, so I have to deal with the aftermath of Hilary's mess?"

"We all have our crosses to bear, Tammy, I should have dealt with her before you even knew she existed."

"Dave?"

"I've been going over old files with Sophie, looking for the clues we missed at the time."

"What will happen to her?"

"Goodness knows, I can't see it coming to court, though, she could blow the top off any number of current or recent operations."

"So what will you do?"

"Keep her out of the way until any damage is minimal then give her the option to go away, quietly."

"That's not a great solution."

"But it's the only one that everyone agrees with."

"So who is running the show?"

"Someone in the Home Office, someone senior and not a politician."

"Someone who sits on the intelligence oversight committee?"

"Perhaps."

A knock on the door brought that discussion to a close, Jenny came in carrying some papers. Dave and Jonathon offered to leave but Jenny told them to stay.

"You'll have an interest in this. Now, Tammy, your existing contract was designed to fit in between your studies but it really doesn't suit the work you're doing at the moment."

"Like seven day weeks?"

"Indeed, I have a copy of the standard Security Service contract and I'd like you to read then sign. You passed the medical, by the way."

"So that's why I had to see Dr Hughes, who is he?"

"He's a Met Police Doctor, he came with the house so we've kept him. What did you think of Hannah Young?"

"She asked too many questions."

"I know, I sat through the recording. That was your psych evaluation, you wouldn't be sat here if you hadn't passed."

"Seriously though, shouldn't I have spoken to someone after I shot Anita Gore?"

"If you were a police officer, yes, but you fall outside the normal channels, so it didn't happen. With hindsight that's something I should have organised, if I had still been in this house then it would have been organised."

Tammy read through the contract, it wasn't dissimilar to the one she'd signed months earlier but that one had looked like a cut & paste job whereas this looked like the original.

"Sign both sets, you keep one and I'll take one."

Tammy did as asked. "Now what?"

"We've had a request from the National Crime agency for an intelligence analyst with Scottish experience. It's a short term secondment of three months."

"Can I ask for time to think about it?"

"No, you've signed. There's a briefing here tomorrow morning and you start work at the NCA on Monday. We've removed your protective detail, there are no identifiable threats at present."

Jenny left, barely 3 minutes after she'd arrived.

"I wasn't expecting that."

"We did try to warn you, Tammy, this is the real world now and you can't just walk away if it gets too much."

"What's the worst that can happen?"

---

Tammy returns in 2017 with Book 7 of the series.

up
370 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Her life full on

Her life full on

WIN_20151023_13_56_29_Pro.jpg

Always

Dahlia's picture

As always, I have enjoyed this series immensely! It is well written, clean and gets the blood flowing with the intrigue. Thanks so much, glad to see you back and look forward to any and all the tales your write.

Hopefully the winter bodes well for all my British friends. I'll be back in February with a planned visit to the town of origin for this tale. Just to see more of the country and to say I've been to Land's End in Cornwall and the top of Scotland, lol, strange person that I am.

Dahlia.

Wham-Bam

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Wham-Bam, What the F%$# Just Happened? Tammy's about to go into the deep fecal matter now.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Some Organization

Well, Tammy survived another book at your hands, you do find the oddest things for her to fall into. I must say, the intelligence (?) services seem a bit odd job/good old boy from my perspective here in the U.S. Suppose it's from having all those furriners so close by. We can send you Trump, maybe he can get somebody to pay for a wall between Scotland and England. Keep somebody contained or somebody out. Or both. I dunno.

Of course, I suppose our setup, 50 states and Federal agencies, all cooperating (?) to increase efficiency and all that, look a bit odd to y'all. Don't suppose I should cast too much shade on the odds and lots in the U.K. Mind you, I think 007 would find it all a bit haphazard.

Somehow, Hilary being told to go away quietly after a period of time doesn't seem to be much punishment for all she caused. If I were Tammy, I'd want to know when she is released. Some people have been known to carry a grudge. I've only got one more of those left, and the marshals tell me his not guilty by reason of insanity defense for the package bomb will keep him secure in the clutches of the doctors at the Federal facility until he is old and gray. And I do so trust our government. :-(


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Irascible Yank

This being accusatory about her having shot someone who is attacking her, is so unreasonable. I'd want to tell them bot bloody well bugger off. There were lots of witnesses, so they could have resolved it very easily. I would not wish to work for people that nasty and paranoid.

It seems like these people are often quite short and cross with each other. I came close to moving over there a couple times, and now I am quite pleased it did not work out.

Gwen

Hmmm, the comments made to

Hmmm, the comments made to Tammy when she was signing, gives me the idea that she just may have signed away her going to school for some time. They did say they wanted her 24/7 and ready to go on Monday. Too bad, so sad for Tammy, as she had her heart set on going to school once again. Wonder if she will ever get her University degree, or for that matter, will it even matter now.
WHY would they just let Hilary walk? that makes no sense what so ever, regardless of what she knows or doesn't know. She violated many, many laws, regulations and rules, and placed Tammy and other's lives into total danger. Just for all that, she should be serving some very serious time in a secluded location reserved for people just like her.

No Peace For The Wicked!

joannebarbarella's picture

Not that Tammy's wicked, but it definitely sounds as though our shy, retiring, heroine is not going to get any peace. Maybe one day she'll be "M".

Oh god, she said it!

Brooke Erickson's picture

"What's the worst that can happen?"

Gee why not go up on the roof and wave around a metal pole during a thunderstorm?

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

It would seem the spy

It would seem the spy services are really desperate and scraping the bottom of the barrel if their going to make someone that young with relatively no experience, other than being in the middle of trouble so often, a bureau head.
Either that or someone is setting her up again.

Welcome to the service......

D. Eden's picture

Part of the deal is that we all give up a certain amount of our individual freedom. That should have been explained to her before Tammy signed anything, even if it was in the contract. It is considered to be dishonorable to entrap someone the way she was.

We all have the chance to refuse to sign, but the terms should have been explained plainly to her.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thankyou for this epilogue

I thought when the previous part was labelled "last chapter", that would be it. But now the loose ends are tied up (? who are you trying to kid), we can look forward to the continuing tribulations of our heroine.

is anyone else-

not sure of who the National Crime Agency is? I see them on various TV programs and they don't carry Police insignia but seem to have a great deal of power. I mean if one stopped me and wasn't wearing a police badge I would tell them to "go away" in no uncertain terms. Probably end up in jail! Looking forward to the next book and any Accounting saga inbetween, thank you

National Crime Agency

shiraz's picture

"The National Crime Agency leads UK law enforcement’s fight against serious and organised crime. Our role is to protect the public from the most serious threats by disrupting and bringing to justice those serious and organised criminals who present the highest risk to the UK."

http://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/about-us

- - - -

Paperback cover Boat That Frocked.png

Thanks Shiraz

You successfully got Tammy out of a bad spot, but it appears that you are throwing her right back in with the coming new book. Perfect! Thanks so much for Tammy's continuing adventures.

There was a comment

Sammi's picture

about Tanny and her on going? studies, surely Tammy could get out of the contract as a department head would have to have higher level University qualifications, or years of experience of working up through the ranks to even be considered for a position like that?


"REMEMBER, No matter where you go, There you are."

Sammi xxx

I think of it as being in the

I think of it as being in the military where some posts are headed by NCOs rather than officers, like in the United States Coast Guard where a small boat station(similar role to the RNLI in the British Isles) the station is headed by an NCO and performs as normal without direct supervision from officers(department heads, like Jenny).

So she is their officer on the ground in Thurso and the north of Scotland and is under the direct supervision of Jenny and whomever is working with her. If she needs help she can get it but aside from training and appropriate reporting she is going to be her own boss.

I'm told STFU more times in a day than most people get told in a lifetime

Jumping before looking

Jamie Lee's picture

Last chapter, Tammy was offered the head honcho position at the Thurso office. She jumped at it, typical Tammy.

Now she's told she'll be working for the NCA for a short time, and she wants to think about it. Can't, she signed the paper. Again half truths have trapped her into doing what they want. Jenny isn't to be trusted to be forthcoming with information until you can't back out.

Once again she was impetuous before getting ALL the facts. The excitement drug has Tammy in its grasps, and Tammy can't see she hooked.

Others have feelings too.

The worst?

She just had to go and say it didn't she

"Here Murphy, Murphy..."

TheCropredyKid's picture

"What's the worst that can happen?"

 
 
 
x