Anchored - Part 4 "Trouble At Sea"

Printer-friendly version
 Anchored  

Part
Four

 

"Trouble At Sea"

 

 
Thursday 3rd September
 

Somehow, and she really wasn't certain how, Tammy had persuaded Angela to accompany her on the day trip to Orkney.

"Did we have to leave that early, Tammy?"

"There's only one sailing in the morning, so it's not as if there's alot of choice."

"Tell me again, why are we here?"

"In all the years you've been in Thurso, how many times have you been to Orkney?"

"Once."

"That was the school trip four years ago?"

"Yes. I hated it."

Tammy hated it as well but it was Tom who'd been seasick, not Tammy. "It's a lovely day, a chance for a look around."

"Weren't you asked to do any, like, special work?"

Tammy laughed, "I might take some photos for the news agency, but I'm not here to work."

"Oh."

It was only a ninety minute crossing but they were running out of discussion topics. Tammy's phone bleeped, it was a message from Hilary.
 

Someone's trying to break into your car, I have video.

 
"Come on, I have to find a member of the crew."

"Why?"

"Just grab your coat and bag." Tammy was already up and moving. She found a steward who really wasn't concerned but pointed towards an officer who was walking away. Tammy caught up quickly.

"Excuse me, I've been told someone's trying to break into my car."

"Really?"

"Yes, it has excellent security features and my office just sent me a text to warn me." Tammy showed him the last message.

"Well, we're still twenty minutes out so no-one should be on the car decks." He was holding a radio so issued an instruction to the crew.

"What car is it?"

"Mini Cooper, racing green. It has a fifteen plate."

"That should be easy to find, do you have a description of the person?"

"Not yet." Her phone pinged again and an image loaded, she didn't recognise the girl but the officer seemed to.

"Right stay here." He spoke into his radio again then descended a staircase. Meanwhile the shore was getting closer. Her phone rang.

"I can see some activity near the car." Even though Tammy knew about the new security features, it still seemed a little creepy.

"Ok Hilary, one of the officers is organising a search; apparently the woman's known?"

"I've identified her as Laura McDonald."

"Let me guess, related to Hamish?"

"Yes, one of his daughters, she used to work for the ferry company."

"That explains why they identified her from the image you sent me, but what's her motive?"

"I don't know. I have the police meeting you in Stromness to take her into custody for criminal damage. It'll delay your sightseeing a little."

"It adds a little drama to the day and I suppose it shows Angela how my days turn pear-shaped occasionally."

Hilary laughed, but Angela wasn't impressed with Tammy's almost flippant attitude, folding her arms and shakin her head. Tammy ended the call.

"I wish I hadn't agreed to come with you."

"You hardly ever get out of Thurso and our parents thought it was a good idea."

"Did you book this deliberately, for today, knowing it was my day off?"

"No, I just didn't want to do it the morning after my birthday. When you learn to drive you'll understand."

"I don't understand how you rolled in near midnight on Tuesday, where were you?"

"We did a bit of a pub crawl and I ended up with Cathy at the Clan McPherson HQ. You decided you were too tired to join us, so don't complain."

"Was I complaining?"

"It sounded like that."

"Anyway, you were lucky mum and dad didn't get back until yesterday lunchtime, when you'd sobered up."

"Mum would probably have joined us!"

A few of the passengers, regular travellers, had left their seats in the forward lounge and were heading for the stairwell to the car deck. One of the stewards had taken up a guard position and was preventing access. There had been no announcement and the steward didn't have a great deal of information - a few of the passengers were becoming impatient. Looking out of a window, the quayside was approaching fast.

Things didn't improve when the officer returned and asked Tammy to go with him, she pulled Angela who was becoming more disinterested as the minutes passed.

"Now Miss, can you see any damage?"

There was damage but the officer was plainly leaving the matter to Tammy. She photographed scuff marks around the driver's door and the boot, the woman had clearly attempted to gain access. Last time it had been the passenger side door, damaged by a randy ram.

"Okay, you can see what I can see? Some very obvious damage here. My photos have been sent to my office so they can contact the police, my insurers and those of the ferry company. What are you doing with Miss McDonald?"

"How do you know her?"

"Someone in my office recognised her. She'd been sacked, hadn't she?"

"You seem to know a fair bit already, it's a civil matter really."

"So you want me to sweep it under the carpet for you? I bet she hasn't a ticket so that means she's on board illegally. Next, she's on the cardeck whilst the vessel is at sea, also an offence, and finally there's criminal damage and attempted theft from a motor vehicle. Were any other vehicles damaged?"

"Not that we can see."

There was a jolt as the ship made contact with the quay, the engine kicked into reverse to slow the vessel as it came onto the berth in a well rehearsed procedure.

"So I've been targeted. It's good that the police are waiting for us, and her."

"It think it's too early to suggest you've been singled out."

"No? We'll have to see what the police say? I don't suppose you was the one who let her on board?"

He seemed to have trouble answering that question but hadn't seen the captain who was now on the cardeck, albeit a few cars away.

"That's a question I'd like answered too, now that I've had a chance to look at the video from Scrabster. You're suspended until this is resolved."

By now there were a fair few shouts from the top of the stairwells as angry passengers were being kept away and kept in the dark. The captain finally spoke into his radio and allowed the passengers down, just as the bow door started to lift. Tammy got into the car and suggested Angela did likewise before the other passengers came past.

It was a few minutes later when they finally moved, Tammy was talking to Hilary as the car came off the ramp and onto the concrete quayside, a police car was off the the left so she pulled alongside, out of the traffic. Laura McDonald was already in the back of the police car, scowling.

"Ah, Miss Smart?"

"That's me." Tammy left the phone line open so Hilary could hear, although she suspected the car was full of microphones anyway.

"I understand you'd like to make a complaint?"

"Most certainly, has she said anything?"

"Not as yet, Miss."

"Well, her father attacked me in Scrabster in July and was cautioned. There may be some ill-feeling?"

"I see, so are you suggesting this wasn't random?"

"That's how it looks to me. We have video of her attempting to gain entry after walking past quite a few other vehicles. My office will make the video available." Tammy's phone pinged as a message arrived. She opened the message and a video started to play on the dashboard screen. Laura could clearly be seen heading directly for the Mini and had ducked down to avoid the cardeck cameras.

The officer decided he'd seen enough and went back to the police car to arrest the woman for attempted theft, pointing out she was on video.

"I never saw no bleedin' cameras," she screamed at the officer. He came back and asked Tammy to step out so he could check her driving licence and then take a statement. Tammy noted how polite he was, he was also rather good looking.

Angela was getting bored and was muttering under her breath.

"I didn't catch that, Angela."

She hadn't realised that the phone line was still open.

"Who, what?"

"It's Hilary, I think it's all under control." She ended the call.

It was another ten minutes before Tammy was done, and Miss McDonald was being stitched up nicely. A second police car had arrived on scene as the officer was now to be questioned at Stromness Police Station for his part in the proceedings. Fortunately there were a few hours before the ship was due to sail, and the girls intended to be on it.

It was now gone eleven so Tammy decided a tour of the area was needed first. First stop, however was in Stromness itself. She'd tried to explain the day's plans to Angela while on the ferry but Angela hadn't listened then and really wasn't listening now.

"Take me back to the port, I'll head home."

"You'l have a bit of a wait."

"Don't care."

"The next ferry is at four forty-five and we're booked on it."

"Well, I don't want to play I spy today."

"Neither do I." She pulled up and removed the key from the ignition.

"Where's this?"

"Stromness Museum, there's a Hudson Bay exhibition here as well as Viking and neolithic exhibits."

"Oh."

"Coming?"

"Yeah."

They made it to the Ferry Inn for lunch at one thirty and Angela was starting to enjoy herself. The collections at Stromness Museum had been referenced many times during her history lessons over the previous five years but now she had been able to see them close up.

The fish and chips were fantastic, the girls agreed, and the orange juice was freshly squeezed, although they knew that oranges were unlikely to grow this close to the Arctic Circle.

From there Tammy drove into Kirkwall but went past the airport first, something Hilary had requested. She took a slow drive past the port and parked in the town. This was more exposes than Stromness and there was a definite chill in the air, Tammy wondered how a Southerner would feel before remembering that she was a Londoner originally and not a Scot. She was at home in Scotland, could she ever move South permanently?

One of the places she wanted to visit was Kirkwall Fashions, Sarah dealt with the store weekly but this was all done by parcels. Angela had resumed her sulk, Tammy wondered if the shopping gene had been missed from her sister's reincarnation?

What was obvious about the shop was the sheer quantity of woollen items, from hats and scarves to jackets and coats, cardigans, shawls, skirts and dresses. Plainly this was a major industry in the Orkneys, driven by the need to keep warm in the bitterest of environments.

Tammy introduced herself to the manager and said she'd worked with Sarah.

"Oh, Sarah mentioned a girl called Tammy."

"Guilty as charged, I just wonder why we don't see this much wool in Sarah's Boutique."

"We deal direct with the wool producers on Orkney and Shetland, I'll give you the contact details for them so maybe she can deal direct herself?"

"Thanks."

Tammy went back to browsing and found a heavy grey skirt that looked like it would survive a Scottish winter intact. She added a scarf, hat and gloves as these had been forgotten that morning.

"As you work in the trade I'll give you ten percent discount."

"Thank you."

Angela finally decided she liked a longline tartan cardigan but this was added to the existing pile without comment.

"Thanks Angela, I wasn't on planning paying for your shopping. When am I getting my birthday present, by the way?" The pair were walking out of the shop.

"When it arrives."

"When did you order it?"

"Err, on Monday."

"Express delivery?"

"I forgot."

"Well?"

"Since your birthday has always occurred before school starts we've never been within a few hundred miles of each-other. Why not celebrate the other day?"

"Other day?"

"The day Tom became Tammy for good?"

"In November last year?"

"Yes."

"I suppose it's another excuse for a party?"

"Yeah, and this birthday pressie might have arrived by then."

"Indeed Angela."

By half past three they'd walked the length of Kirkwall so Tammy decided to drive back to Stromness for the return crossing. She wasn't really surprised to see a police van in the queue, guessing that it was a prisoner transfer.

Angela seemed to have dozed off when there was a tap on the window, Tammy opened her window to identify the person, it was one of the ferry staff.

"The Captain would like to see you when you board and I have a pair of complementary crossing vouchers for you."

"Thank you."

Tammy knew the poor girl wouldn't be able to deal with any questions as it would, by now, be in the hands of the insurers. That didn't stop the company trying to recover some good faith from the mess, not that she was likely to head for the Orkneys again.

They started loading just after four but it was gone quarter past the hour when they locked the car and went up into the passenger area. Tammy went to the information office to get directions.

"You can't see the Captain."

"I was told he wanted to see me, please call the bridge."

"Really? Get lost."

"You're a fine example of Customer Service at its best, never mind we'll find our own way."

The stairwell marked 'Crew Only' was the obvious route and they reached the door at the back of the bridge easily. Tammy wondered if there was a security issue as she opened the unlocked door. Ahead the window was obscured by the giant bow door in its upright position.

"Are you lost Miss?"

"No, I was told by shore staff that the Captain wanted to see us when we boarded, it was about this morning's incident on the car deck."

"Oh yes, come in and close the door, can the pair of you stand at the back and keep out of the way as it'll get busy in here shortly. As soon as we're out of the harbour the Captain will have time for you."

"That's fine, thank you. What's the Captain's name?"

"Captain John Franklin, he's one of the company's longest serving officers."

"Franklin?"

A new voice was heard, "yes Miss Smart, that's my name."

Tammy whipped her head around, it hadn't been obvious on the car deck that morning but there was a distinctive resemblance, "do you have a son called Ben?"

"No, I have a son named Benjamin."

"Married to Sandy?"

"The same. He's mentioned you once or twice, young lady, and I was not expecting someone as pretty as yourself after all those harrowing stories."

"I will have him demoted to constable if he breaks any confidences, Captain."

He laughed, "he was right about you though, you do have a dry sense of humour and an analytical mind."

"I don't like being taken for a ride and having my day out ruined."

A squawk from one of the radios caught his attention and he started to give instructions.

"It seems all the booked vehicles are loaded and the terminal is clear, so we're sailing a bit earlier than scheduled."

More commands were issued and the bow door started to close, revealing a view of the port. Lines were cast off and the ferry shuddered as the engine dragged it off the berth. Once clear of the pier it pirouetted before heading for Scrabster.

The Captain gave them a tour of his bridge, ably assisted by the Mate, Shaun, who was the one doing the driving.

"How many does it take to run the bridge?"

"Just one, Shaun here can do it all by himself but I'm legally responsible for her so I like to be aware of what's happening."

"Her?"

"Ships are females, don't know why but that's one of the laws of the sea. I wouldn't argue with her any more than I'd argue with my missus!"

"What's happening to that officer who you suspended this morning?"

"He'll likely be sacked for gross misconduct, the stupid ass."

"Was he connected to Laura McDonald?"

"He was her boyfriend."

"I see."

"I'm not keen on fraternising between the officers and the rest of the crew, it can only lead to disaster."

"Out of interest, how did you meet your wife?"

"She was a stewardess."

up
437 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

disaster?

Alecia Snowfall's picture

only leads to disaster? Yet he met his spouse when she crewed the ferry. Hmmmm.

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Thank you Shiraz,

More adventures for our Tammy and another little 'cliff hanger' ,yes?

ALISON

damage to her car

hopefully its just cosmetic

DogSig.png

Ditch

I have a feeling Tammy would be better off leaving Angela to her own devices. Angela seems to be a bit of a brat that hasn't yet grown up.


I went outside once. The graphics weren' that great.

Another excellent adventure in the life of Tammy.

A simple little thing and it turns into trouble. Like the small but not insignificant line about the officer and her finding him to be attractive. I think she'll bag a boyfriend b4 long. Tammy changed quite a bit during her time away during the summer. She's had her surgery and her first time with a boy. With everything she's had to deal with in her life it's no wonder she's outpacing Angela.

Outbreak of the hate plague

Jamie Lee's picture

How stupid can these people be? Because of the hate ruling their lives, they get themselves in trouble by what they do. All by themselves, without Tammy intervention. By the time these hate people get through, a new budget will have to be obtained for the additional Government guests.

Angela doesn't like to go anywhere with Tammy because she ends up in Tammy's shadow, after an event. Which seems to follow her around. Is Tammy a friend of Murphy?

What are the chances of meeting Ben's dad as Tammy and Angela did? What are the chances Ben already knows where Tammy and Angela were and what happened? What are the chances Franklin senior was asked to keep an eye on them?

Wonder what Angela ordered for Tammy?

Others have feelings too.

At this rate...

... it might be worth stocking up on Mini parts and paint!

As for Angela's attitude, it may be sibling rivalry (not helped when Tammy is locally famous and developed earlier / had her surgeries earlier), it may be hormones, it may be a combination.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!