The Miss Adventure of Mitch and Josh

Printer-friendly version
The Miss Adventure
of Mitch and Josh

by Melanie Brown

Copyright  © 2012 Melanie Brown

Mitch and his friend Josh wake up to a brave new world.

This stand alone story is the epilogue of "How I Met Your Mummy." You don't need to read that story first, but it certainly doesn't hurt! -- Ed


Dad drove the car into the driveway and killed the ignition. I had finally been released from the hospital and it was nice to see my family’s house. For a month I had been in a vegetative state. The hospital’s bioethics department had finally convinced my family to disconnect me from life support. I miraculously regained consciousness just minutes before they pulled the plug.

I sat in the back seat of the car, staring out the window instead of getting out. Dad said, “Are you okay, kitten? How do you feel? Do you recognize the house?”

The doctors had insisted I stay in the hospital for two more weeks for observation. The docs were stumped as to why I and my friend Josh were found unconscious on the floor of a museum. They were equally stumped as to why we both woke up at the exact same time.

I smiled at Dad and said, “Yeah, Dad. I recognize our house. It doesn’t look exactly like I remember it, though.”

Dad got out of the car, and then turned around to look back inside so he could address me. He said, “The doctor said to expect to see gaps in your memory. It’s a miracle that you didn’t need months of therapy to be taught how to talk and walk again.”

Mom opened my door and said, “Your father and I are just so thankful to God that you came back to us. Oh, Kiya! I was so afraid…” her voice trailed away as tears welled up in her eyes.

And that is one of the gaps, but not in my memory, but in reality. My name is Mitchell, not Kiya. And I’m a seventeen year old boy, not a sixteen year old girl. Or at least that’s what I remember. Add into the mix a bizarre dream about being a pre-Egyptian princess and I feel completely lost. The shrinks at the hospital insist the princess dream is just that, a dream based on the last thing I saw that my stimulus starved brain conjured up.

I’ve been wanting desperately to talk to Josh, my friend. To me, his name is Josh. But I’ve been told my friend is another girl, younger than me. Josh and I were in the same grade and the same age. But now it seems my friend Aoh, which is a really strange name, is a girl a year younger and in a grade below me.

I know how this may sound, but I reject everyone else’s reality and substitute my own. I know I’m not a girl. And I know my friend is named Josh and is not a girl either. Being a princess in some ancient time…well, I have to say, the jury is still out on that one.

I got out of the backseat and smiled at Mom and hugged her. I said, “It’s okay now, Mom. I’m glad to be home.”

A twelve year old boy jumped out of the backseat and said to Mom, “Does this mean I don’t get her room after all? You promised. It needs to be painted first, but…”

“Patrick!” shouted Mom. “Don’t talk like that in front of your sister!”

I smiled at the boy and said, “Hey Patrick. Are you glad to see me again?” I’d never seen this kid before in my life. As far as I knew.

Patrick shouted, “No! And now I don’t get my room!” He then turned and ran into the house. I’d gone from having an obnoxious little sister to an even more obnoxious little brother.

I stood there in my front yard, dressed in girl’s jeans and a pink girl’s t-shirt. My long black hair kept brushing across my face with the warm, waning summer breeze. The breeze reminded me so much of the breeze from my dream as it swept across an ancient, long dead city. I studied my house. To me, we had left this house only a few weeks ago for a wild, exciting vacation of hitting as many museums as possible. The colors looked off and I wasn’t sure if it was because the colors were actually different, or my color perception had changed with my gender.

Mom touched my arm and said, “Come on, honey. Let’s go inside. I’ll make you some tea.”

We entered the house and I was immediately lost. The furniture was re-arranged from what I remembered. From the dream, I had been warned of the ramifications of the small change made in antiquity and how it might cause big changes when I returned to my normal time. Sacmis, the former high priestess-cum-former slave girl-cum-new high priest wasn’t just whistling Dixie.

“I’m going to go to my room for a minute, Mom,” I said.

Mom smiled and said, “I’ll bring you your tea when it’s ready.”

“Thanks, Mom,” I said as I turned to head down the hallway.

There were pictures along the wall of the hallway. I can only assume the black haired beauty with the deep brown eyes was me. I went to the doorway that at least used to be my room. As I entered the room, I almost threw up. It looked like a Pepto-Bismol bomb had exploded in it. I’ve never seen so much pink. I pulled open the pink curtains to let in some light and it didn’t help.

I sat in my chair at my desk and took inventory of my room. The bed was in the same place, but with satin bedspread and stuffed animals. My desk, or maybe my vanity as it had a jumble of cosmetics on it and a mirror had a collection of pictures. One of the pictures was of me and a guy I remember as a jock with his arm around my shoulder. I looked happy and I was afraid of what that picture meant. My heavy metal band posters were gone and replaced by guys and female country singers of all things. I was afraid to look in the closet.

I stood in front of my mirror and pulled my shirt up to expose my breasts nestled in my bra. I just stared at them for a few seconds. I poked them once, just like I had done a million times while in the hospital. It was my skin; my boobs. After having spent a week as an ancient era princess and two weeks in observation at the hospital, I was pretty much over the shock of having breasts and a vagina. Until I was here in my own time, in my own room in my own house, it had just never truly sunk in that I was now and most likely forever, a girl.

There was a cellphone on the charger on my desk. I picked it up and looked at my list of favorite contacts. At first I searched in vain for Josh. Then it dawned on me that he’ll be listed as Aoh. I was shocked to see the list of contacts being so large. Just before I could press the button to call Aoh, my mom came in and gave me a cup of hot tea. I don’t remember liking hot tea before, but it did taste pretty good.

A few moments later, I heard a girl’s voice on the other end of the phone connection. “Hello?”

“Josh?” I said nervously. “Is that you?”

“Mitch? Oh my God! I thought I was going insane!” exclaimed Josh. “Everyone thinks I’ve always been a girl! I look like that slave girl I was back in the past. I was almost convinced I really had made up my past as a boy and going back in time., which is what the psychiatrist told me.”

“Me too.” I said. “But we both can’t have the exact same dream. That proves that we somehow managed to change things. The priestess did warn me.”

“What priestess?” asked Josh. “I only remember that ugly priest dude.”

Anyone listening in to our conversation would think we’d both gone insane. Two teenage girls talking about being boys transferred to the bodies of dead girls in ancient times would come to the conclusion that we’d been released from the hospital a bit too early. I said, “Remember my slave Sacmis? She used to be a priestess before she was enslaved. You were pretty much out of it when she sent us back.”

“Why the fuck did she send us back as girls?” cried Josh. “And it’s as if we’ve always been girls! I..I’ve got a fucking boyfriend, Mitch! A boyfriend! He keeps calling to ask how I am and when he can see me again. He told me how much he missed me. I remember seeing him around school, but I don’t really know who he is! I…I don’t want a boyfriend! I don’t want to be a girl!”

I picked up the picture on my desk and looked worriedly at it. I said, “I may have a similar problem. I have a picture on my desk of me with some guy and I look like I’m glad he has his arm around me. That’s really disturbing.

“But honestly, I don’t think Sacmis intended us to come back as girls. Just our energy and nothing physical was supposed to go back.” I said.

“Mitch, what are we gonna do?” asked Josh. “Everything is close to what I remember, but just enough different. Plus being a girl. I don’t want to be a girl. I have a boyfriend. I never got to have a girlfriend.”

I nodded uselessly and said, “I know what you mean. I’ve been out with a couple of girls, nothing like real dating. To be honest, I don’t think there’s any way out of this mess.”

“Do you think there’s a pre-Egyptian priestess listed in the Yellow Pages?” ask Josh.

I laughed slightly and said, “I kind of doubt it. Hey, do you think you could get away for a little bit? Meet up at the mall in the Food Court?” Josh and I met at the Food Court a lot, either to work on homework or just discuss life in general.

“Maybe. I’m now a fifteen year old girl. It’s harder for me to get around. I’ll ask my mom about it.” Josh said with a hint of despair in her voice.

“Oh yeah. I’m back to being sixteen,” I said. “Let me look in my purse.” I picked up the purse my mom had brought me along with the clothes I’m now wearing and began to rummage through it. After a few moments of digging, I pulled out a drivers’ license. I said, “Bingo! I have a license. Let me know if you can’t come.”

In a small voice, Josh said, “See ya.”

I would have offered to pick up Josh, but the mall was between our houses. I ran out of my room and grabbed the car keys from the wall hanger. “I’m going to the mall for a minute, Mom. I’ll be back soon.”

Mom entered the living room and shaking her head said, “You’re going to the mall without any make-up? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that since I started letting you wear it.”

I was going to say something about not enough time or some other reason, but I just said honestly, “I don’t remember how to put it on, Mom. I’m just meeting Jo…um…Aoh up there. We need to catch up with each other and it’s hard to do over the phone.”

Mom looked at me funny and said, “Okay, but be back before six.”

“I will,” I said as I bolted through the door.
 

*          *          *

 
I had had to get out of the house. I felt like I had stepped into someone else’s life instead of my own. This was no longer my world. Nothing felt right and knowing that I was now a girl really freaked me out. The mall had always felt like a sanctuary, and I hoped it still had that appeal.

It was too late to decide entering the mall near the arcade was a bad idea. Dozens of teens were hanging out in and around the arcade. I looked to the ground and hoped my long hair obscured my face. I could see boys turning to look at me and a few made gestures in my direction. Not obscene gestures, but things you might do with your friends to point out a cute girl to your friends. The fact that boys would find me attractive made me ill. I tried to make myself as small as possible.

Some boy called to me, “Hey Kiya! It’s good to see ya!” He and his friends laughed his little rhyme. I made another mistake by looking over at them and they grinned stupidly and waved. At lot of the kids I saw were kids I knew from before the BIG EVENT, which is how I started thinking of going back in time. They were the same, but slightly different. At least one girl, I would have sworn was a boy the last time I had seen her. I just smiled and waved, put my head back down and hurried on.

I passed clothing store just as a few girls were coming out. One shouted, “Kiya! Oh my God! You’re back!” She came up and gave me a girly hug. “It’s like so great to see you again, girl! Is it true you lost some of your memory? Have you talked to Ryan yet? He’s been so worried!”

Slightly rattled by the girl’s attack I at first just stood there looking like an idiot. Finally, I said, “Hi. Yeah, it’s true about my memory. I don’t seem to remember anybody or at least how I know them. And no, I haven’t talked to um, Ryan.”

The girl said, “Girl, you better call him! But if you don’t want him anymore, you can always give him to me!” In my mind, I thought, Okay, girl. Give me your name and address and I’ll wrap him up and send him express mail to you.

I said, “Well, it’s just taking me time to re-adjust. Apparently I was unconscious for about a month.”

The girl just said, “Well, I hope you’ll be better by the time school starts. You’re still on the squad, right?” Oh my God. I’d forgotten that the first day of school was only about two weeks away. Going to school as a girl…talk about a nightmare!

I looked at her with a vacant expression and said, “Squad?”

The girl, who I still had no idea what her name was said, “The cheerleading squad. Duh!”

The day just kept getting worse and worse. I was a cheerleader? I was going to be expected to jump around in a short dress spouting nonsense? I said, “I don’t know. I hurt my foot while I was in the hospital bed. Hey. I’m supposed to meet up with a friend. Talk to you later, okay?” Of course, I was lying about my foot.

The girls in that little pack just smiled and the one doing all the talking said, “Sure! I’ll give you a call later! Hope your foot gets feeling better!”

I made my way to the food court without further incidence. As I approached, I saw a girl, also with long, black hair sitting at my and Josh’s usual table, by the wall and towards the back of the court. She was sitting with her arms folded on the table and her head lowered onto her arms. She sat up and waved as I approached.

She stood up as I got nearer and I almost ran towards her, both of us hugging each other and both of us with tears streaking our cheeks.

As we hugged each other tightly, I said, “Oh, Josh. It’s great to see you, girl!” We disengaged and I said, “I really thought we’d probably just die trying to get back.” We both sat down at the table.

Josh grinned at me and said, “Mitch, you haven’t changed in two thousand years. What’s your secret?”

“Virgin blood. It’s all the rage in pre-historic Egypt.” I said, happy to be with my friend.

Suddenly looking quite serious, Josh pulled a few stray strands of black hair from her face and said, “I’m fucking scared. I am so totally fucking scared. Why are we girls? We were the same age, and now I’m younger? How does that work out? What happened back there, Mitch? I was out of it. How did we wind up like this?” She had started crying again.

“I told you about Sacmis, right?” I said, feeling like crying myself. “She had been a priestess just as powerful as Ammon, the head priest. She told me that we weren’t really the souls of the dead princess and her sister.”

“We weren’t?” asked Josh, sniffling. “I thought that’s the whole reason why we wound up back in time.”

I shook my head and said, “That’s how Ammon sold it to my husband to be. I doubt Ra would have been interested in just a re-animated corpse. So Ammon told him that her and her sister’s souls had returned from a millennium long journey. Ammon just wanted someone’s, anyone’s life force.”

Josh looked disgusted. She said, “So after all that, there wasn’t even anything special about us. We were just random victims?”

I nodded and said, “Well, that and the fact that we loved each other as sisters.”

Josh pulled on a strand of her silken black hair and said, “I’m surprised you didn’t want to stay there. You seemed to be enjoying being a princess.”

I gave Josh a wry grin and said, “I admit it. It’s just really great to be a princess. But the price was too high.”

Josh smiled and said, “Yeah, you didn’t want to kill me and drink my blood!”

“More than that,” I said. “The princess’ brain and memories were mostly intact. I was already starting to lose control and I would have been effectively dead in just a short time. Sacmis found a way to send us back, but she said that the past had been altered and that going back had some risk. I really don’t think she expected this to happen.” I pointed at myself with both my hands.

“So there’s no going back?” asked Josh. “We’re stuck here as girls.”

I shrugged and said, “I don’t see any way out of it, dude. Unless you know a priestess with skills in the black arts. And even then I don’t think it would help. We unintentionally tweaked the past, and this is the result.”

Josh started crying again. She said, “I don’t want to be a girl! I don’t want to have periods, or wear make-up or girls’ clothes, or watch chick flicks and I sure as hell don’t want to date boys! Or sex? Oh my God!”

I said, “Well, except for one of those, you don’t have to do those things if you don’t want to.”

Josh frowned and said, “I don’t want to date a girl as a girl either. I want to be a guy again.” She paused a few moments and then said, “I don’t know what to do about my boyfriend. He keeps calling and I keep blowing him off. I don’t want to deal with a boyfriend.” She visibly shuddered.

“Who is he, anyway?” I asked.

“You remember Daniel Mills? Yeah, him.” She made a face.

I frowned and said, “Well, at least he’s a gamer. You have something in common and at least he’s not an asshole.”

Josh scowled slightly and said with a tinge of anger in her voice, “I wouldn’t mind gaming with him. I just don’t want to kiss him.” She stared at the wall a moment and then turned back to me and said, “And what about you? Who’s your boyfriend?”

“You remember Ryan Boyd?” Josh nodded her head and I said, “Yeah, well, that apparently is my boyfriend. Trust me, I have as much of a desire to kiss him as you do for Daniel. I can’t even imagine how we got together. Oh, and to make matters worse, I’m also a cheerleader.”

Josh nodded and said, “He’s a jock and you’re a cheerleader. Makes sense in this twisted world.”

“He always struck me as an asshole,” I said. “Assuming that me was still mostly me before we came back, I can’t imagine liking an asshole.”

“Girls go for bad boys, remember?” said Josh seeming amused by my discomfort. Her smile suddenly faded as she said, “Oh God. Speak of the devil. Here come our boyfriends!”

I didn’t look over my shoulder to verify. I whispered to Josh, “You gotta be kidding me! There’re here, now? Together?”

Frowning, Josh said, “They spotted us. They’re coming towards us.”

“Oh great,” I said.

Two teenage boys approached our table. Ryan looked pretty much the way I remembered him from school. Tall, athletic, his light brown hair a little longish and unkempt wearing a black Metallica t-shirt and jeans. His friend Daniel was pretty much a typical geek type. His sandy blond hair uncombed, but failed to look cool in the same way Ryan’s hair did. He also wore a t-shirt, but with a picture of Master Chief brandishing his assault rifle. I used to have that same shirt, but doubt it’s part of my wardrobe now.

Ryan gave Josh and me a big smile and exclaimed, “Hey! You’re back!” Both boys took a seat at our table, sitting opposite each other. Josh and I both waved. He leaned in as if to kiss me, but I moved back a little. His tone shifted to a more serious note as he continued, “Danny and I were both afraid we might never see you again.”

Daniel said, “Yeah. We’d heard they’d declared you both brain-dead and were about to pull your plugs when you woke up.”

Ryan said, “Yeah. You better watch out that no one pulls your plug, Danny.”

Daniel made a face and said, “Ha, ha. You’re so funny.”

“But seriously,” said Ryan. “We were pretty worried. When I came up to hospital those times, you looked so peaceful, more like you were sleeping. When your parents weren’t there, I’d hold your hand and talk to you.”

“You came to visit me? That’s so sweet,” I said sincerely.

Ryan flashed me a smile and said, “Hey, you’re my girl, Kiya.”

Josh looked like she wanted to roll up into a little ball. I could tell she had suddenly become very uncomfortable. She looked over at Daniel and asked, “So, did you come visit me at the hospital?”

Looking sheepish as he studied the floor, Daniel said, “No. Sorry. I don’t like hospitals. You know how many diseases you can pick up in one of those places?”

Josh grunted and said, “Gee, thanks for caring.”

“I wanted to, Aoh,” said Daniel. “I really did. But the last time I visited the hospital, I managed to get pink eye.”

Ryan said, “What happened, anyway? I never really got a clear story of how you wound up in the hospital.”

Do I tell him the truth? That a month ago, Josh and I were both boys that Ryan would be more likely to shake us down for our lunch money than date us? No one was ever going to believe the truth. But I could be partially truthful.

Looking over at Ryan after watching Josh try her best to shrink, I said, “Well, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. Jo…Aoh was overcome with a desire to touch some old mummy case and I didn’t want us to get into trouble, so just as I grabbed her to pull her away, she touched it. There was a bright flash and the next thing I know I’m waking up in the hospital a month later. I was told there must have been some huge static build up on the case and we were shocked by it. From what I was told, neither of us breathed for almost three minutes. They thought we were dead right there.”

Ryan said, “Wow. That’s crazy. I wouldn’t think a static discharge would have enough current to knock you out like that. Do you remember anything or was it just like being dead?”

I smiled and said, “Well, I don’t know what it’s like to be dead, but no, I don’t remember anything. Well, there was a dream. Aoh and I seemed to have shared the dream.” I probably shouldn’t have mentioned that.

“You dreamed?” asked Daniel. “Really? They told us neither of you had any brain activity.”

I shrugged and said, “I don’t know about that. I just remember the experience. It seemed pretty real to me, but I’ve been told a number of times by experts that it was only a dream.”

Ryan leaned in on his elbows on the table and said, “Hey, when you dream, you can’t distinguish from reality. Do you remember any of it?”

I looked down at the table and said, “Well, it all sounds kinda silly now. But I thought I was back in time at some pre-Egyptian time in a long forgotten ancient city where I was a princess from another city being forced to marry the king in order to bring peace. Aoh was there as well as my sister, who had been made a slave. On my wedding day, I was to slit my sister’s throat and drink her blood to ensure my fertility.”

Ryan’s eyes lit up as he exclaimed, “Holy shit! For reals? You were going to drink Aoh’s blood? Man, that’s gross.”

Josh looked up and said, “I had to give her something for a wedding present…”

Ryan said, “But your blood? Man! And you had the same dream?”

Josh said, “Yeah. That I was her sister. The dream wasn’t much fun for me. I spent most of it as a slave chained to a dungeon floor.”

Daniel said, “Bullshit. That’s not even possible.”

Josh gave him an indignant look and said, “You weren’t there, were you?”

Daniel lifted his arms, palms out and said, “Hey now. I didn’t say I didn’t believe you. I just don’t see how you can both experience the same dream but from different view points.”

Ryan pointed at Josh and said, “So, did you drink her blood?”

I shook my head and said, “No. no. My slave girl used to be a high priestess and she figured out how to send us back to the future.”

Ryan sat there for a few moments, looking from me to Josh and back. He said, “I never noticed before, but you two really do look like sisters. Even though you’re a year apart and have different parents, you look a lot alike.”

Josh said simply, “Well, we’re not.”

For a minute, there was a very awkward silence. Finally Daniel said, “Aoh, you seem awfully distant. You’re acting like you don’t really know me.”

Josh looked over at him with disinterested eyes and said, “I don’t. I remember who you are, but I don’t remember ever talking to you.”

Daniel was obviously stung by her words. Studying the floor again, he said, “You’re my girl. Your parents told me to expect holes in your memory. Let’s go for a walk so we can talk.”

At first I thought Josh was going to tell him no, but instead she said, “Okay. I’m not sure what good it will do. I don’t know if I want to date anyone right now.”

Daniel stood up and took Josh’s hand and said, “Let’s talk.”

Ryan and I watched in silence as they walked away, Daniel clinging desperately to Josh and Josh looking like she wished she could be anywhere but here.

Ryan broke the silence and said, “And what about you, Kiya. Do you remember me?”

I looked at Ryan’s earnest face and said honestly, “No. I mean, I know who you are. I remember seeing you at school and I know you’re on the school’s football team. But I don’t remember a you and me. Please don’t take it personally. It’s nothing about you. It’s just that, since loosing consciousness at that museum, nothing is how I remember it. I don’t even remember having a little brother.”

Ryan fiddled with a plastic salt shaker on the table as he said, “I don’t understand how you can forget that we’re seeing each other. Your mom told me that you had memory gaps. But I really believed that if you remembered anything, it’d be us. Does this mean you don’t want to see me any more? It’s pretty obvious Aoh doesn’t like Danny any more.”

I smiled weakly at Ryan. I was extremely uncomfortable emotionally. How could I explain to him that to me, I’m a guy named Mitch who traveled back in time and returned a girl? I said, “I don’t know.” I saw the pained expression on Ryan’s face and I continued, “I’m sorry. Look, it’s not you. It’s me. I don’t know you. Even my mom refers to you as my boyfriend. But, I just don’t know you.”

Ryan set his jaw and nodded a few times. He then reached into his pocket and pulled out his cell phone. He touched the screen a couple of times and then said, “Here. Look at this. That’s you last winter after our snowball fight. Here’s you, Aoh and Danny at this very table the day after school let out. And look, here’s a video of you at our last game of the season doing your cheerleader thing.” He thumbed through a few more pictures of me on his phone in silence with emotion obviously welling up inside him.

Looking at his phone, then to me, he said, “I remember you. I know you. And I remember us. I remember that night before you left on that stupid trip, you said you loved me and…and..I didn’t say it back.”

I reached over and placed my hand on top of his and said, “It’s okay. There’s nothing you did that caused me to not remember anything. The docs told me that going as long as I did without oxygen, I’m very lucky I didn’t remain in a vegetative state. So, Ryan, please don’t beat yourself up. You didn’t cause it and there’s nothing you can do to change the past. Just give me a little time. A little space.”

Ryan nodded again. Taking my hand, he said, “I almost lost you at the hospital. I don’t want to lose you again.”

I smiled at him and put my other hand over his. Josh and Daniel were coming back towards us. Daniel was holding her hand and Josh was smiling and then laughed at something Daniel said. Being a girl and dating a boy were things definitely not on my bucket list. I had a choice. Accept my new reality or be miserable the rest of my life. I smiled at Ryan and patted his hand.
 

*          *          *

 
The small chamber in the temple was lit by a few dozen candles floating in trays of scented oils. Six stone slabs stood in the middle of the room. On four slabs a figure lay on each. Several priestesses stood nervously about.

One figure stirred. A man with a shaved head and short beard on his chin sat up with a gasp of air. He blinked a few times in the darkness trying to clear his vision. He swung his legs from the table and let them dangle. A priestess approached and said, “What is the word, Most Holy One?”

The man just looked at the priestess with narrowed eyes for a few moments. He said, “The crane crossed the Nile.”

The priestess smiled and said, “Sacmis! You were successful!”

The man frowned and said, “Careful! From now on, you must refer to me as Ammon, the High Priest.”

The priestess nodded and said, “Yes, Most Holy One.”

Ammon slid off the table and approached the slab adjacent to his. On it laid a sleeping woman, naked except the sheet that covered her.

“Good,” said Ammon. “She is still unconscious.” He pointed to two priestesses and said, “You. Take her to the guards and tell them she is to be taken to the army’s brothel. Tell them she no longer has any value as a slave as she’s insane and will likely make wild claims. She’s now only fit to be a whore.”

The priestesses lifted the woman from the slab. One of them said, “It shall be done, Most Holy One.”

After they left with the girl whose body he had just left, he heard a stirring noise coming from behind him from one of the other stone slabs. He turned to see one of the figures sit up, cough and gasp for air. The sheet fell to the floor revealing a naked boy with terribly pale skin.

The boy scowled as he looked down at himself, and then back to Ammon. The boy shouted, “I demand to know what has happened to me!”

Ammon just stood there, slack jawed and groaned, “Ah, camel dung!”
 

*          *          *

 
The End

up
200 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

a very different type of story

wow Melanie. This new series you are creating is a total 90 deg turnaround from your usual fare! It's interesting and has a lot of deep plots running in it that I don't know how it is going to end up :)

And I like it that way too.

Sephrena

Excellent story

Most excellent. The end? Would love to see more but I'll take what I can get, thanks,
Dave

Episodic Excellence

Another excellent outing in this excellent adventure!

I'm particularly impressed with the way the episodes are structured. Each can stand alone, but together form a larger storyline. It's as if... you were writing a television show. I'm not sure if this series is a drama or a sitcom, or if that even matters!

It's fun, and it's good. Creativity rules!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Awesomeness

I'm surprised and entertained. You are the queen, girl!

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

This is good

Thanks for the sequel.

-- Sleethr

OMG! Melanie, you have captured my interest.

It looks as though it was more than just the Miss Adventures of Mitch and Josh, but the Miss...ing part of their lives, as well. Mitch and Josh have no other reality now, except to be Kiya and Aoh, two teenage girls in high school that have boyfriends, with Kiya being on the cheerleading squad. "Boys will be girls and girls will be boys, it's a mixed up, mumbled up, shook up world, except for Lola." From the song Lola by the Kinks. This story reminds me of that song.

You wrote this very well and kept this reader's interest from start to finish. A different twist for you, but I love it. You ended the story right at the right moment, for effect. That is what a talented author does.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Loved

The new Ammon's reaction and line at the end. Snerk.

Maggie

That sounds ....

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Why does this line sound sort of familiar “Ah, camel dung!”
*giggles*

I think this going to be interesting.

I hope the "girls" in the future setting realize it isn't totally a one or the other choice, be miserable or accept everything as is. They may be stuck as girls permanently, but they can still choose to live there lives as they choose. Personalty changes are not unheard of after comas etc. There is no need to accept everything nor to totally fight what has happened. Hopefully they can find a comfortable middle ground.

As for ancient Egypt we still have to see exactly whats going on, but it looks like its going to be similar in reverse.

Good Story! I like it so far.

Good part two

Now May I have part 3 please... "Ah, camel dung!” Is what I said when this story ended. i think i would be cool if one of them returned to the boy state and they became boy friend girl friend, you know the Happily ever after thing. They love each other so much, at the very least brother and sister...
Hmm two girls in love..

Love And Hugs Hanna
((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))((((((((♥)))))))
Blessed Be
2889.jpg

not two but four mistakes big ones

Renee_Heart2's picture

First the boys return as girls then the high priest is now a boy instead of the woman he was supost to be. Now what is going to happen.

Love Samantha Renee Heart

That wasn't a mistake...

Melanie Brown's picture

Sacmin swapped bodies with Ammon to seek her revenge, but the princess pops up as a boy who looks strangely like Mitch. I wonder if the king will notice...

Melanie

Mitch/Kiya and Josh/Aoh are

Mitch/Kiya and Josh/Aoh are back and Melanie Brown has given us another winner! But I wonder if there are other realities springing up from the magic of Sacmis/Ammon?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I'm guessing that ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... the girls who were Kiya and Aoh in the 21st century, displaced by Mitch and Josh, are now back in pre-Egypt as boys?

BE a lady!

Seems that way

Melanie Brown's picture

At least that's what we're led to believe in the final paragraph.

Melanie

Help me out, the pale skinned

Help me out, the pale skinned boy is who?? The princess in Josh's/Mitch's body?

Karen

Who's who

Melanie Brown's picture

Yes.