Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 36

Printer-friendly version

Serial boredom for the beginner, easy reading.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 36.

I got to the admin offices of the university without realising that I had walked over a mile in the killer heels, mainly because I was floating on air, or my head was. I felt free and was revelling in the feeling although I knew enough about life to recognise its transience. Sooner or later I would hit the ground and the bump would probably hurt, what I needed now was to build up some padding to minimise the impact.

I called into Prof Agnew's office to see his secretary, she recognised me instantly and smiling asked if I wanted to leave a message as he was in a meeting, with the Dean.

Reality was catching up with my euphoria, it wasn't nice. More decisions! "Damn," I said, "I was going to see the Dean afterwards, not a lot of point if he's not there."

"You could make an appointment," she suggested.

"Yeah, I suppose, when is Prof Agnew free?"

"I meant with the Dean, would you like me to ring?"

"Oh," I blushed, "if it's not too much trouble?"

She shook her head and picked up the phone, "Hello, it's Mary from Prof Agnew's office. Oh I'm fine thanks and you, yes he's growing up just like his dad, how is your Nicky? Oh good, I'm glad she got the grades needed. Yes to business, I have one of our post grads needs to see the Dean quite urgently on a personal matter. Who? It's Cathy Watts, yes two pm, be prompt as you're squeezing her in as a favour. Okey dokey, that's fine, thanks Phyl."

"Sorry about the social gossip in the beginning, but if I sweet talk her she's putty. I hope the time is okay?"

I nodded almost in shock, how did she know my name?

"I hope I got the name right, it is Cathy, isn't it?"

I nodded still in shock, "How do you know?"

"Prof Agnew told me he had tea with you yesterday and said you might be calling in. I didn't recognise the name and although I didn't ask he noticed my puzzled look and told me. Don't worry, it's confidential as far as I'm concerned, but I respect you for your courage and hope it works out for you."

I was lost for words, okay, most of the time she was fine with me but could turn into a dragon in a moment. I hadn't expected the latter, because I was here on a personal matter of some delicacy, but I'm pleased and heartened by her open and tolerant manner.

"Thank you, you're very kind."

"Who me? Nah, I'm a grumpy old bat but I can respect someone who is prepared to risk everything to be themselves. Good on yer girl, anything we can do to help, you know the Prof always does as he's told." She kept a straight face and watched my look of amazement cover my whole face before she began to laugh.

I laughed too and hoped I'd made another ally, another useful one.

"So we're going with the line that you're your own sister? A bit risky isn't it, wouldn't it be better to tell the truth and have done with it?"

"I don't know, the story line seemed to occur when the Prof saw off some of the other students who were trying it on. I suspect if we had had more time, we would have gone with the truth." I shrugged my shoulders, feeling a bit queasy - all that bacon flying about in my gut, I supposed.

"So, to your appointment with the good professor."

"Oh yes please, I'd better tell him face to face," before I chicken.

"He wants you to see him at twelve thirty at this address."

"But this is a restaurant!" I exclaimed.

"Yes, I know, so does he believe it or not. He wants you to attend there at that time, oh and wear something tidy like you have now."

"He wants me to interrupt his lunch?" I gasped.

"No you silly girl, he wants you to have lunch with him," she broke into a broad smile and shook her head. "Mind you, he did say if a certain young man had turned up instead, they'd have had to buy their own. That's sexist, isn't it?"

My eyes bulged and I nearly fell over. I hoped he was just being kind and didn't have some other motive, but I had to see him anyway so I didn't have a lot of choice. At least I knew where the restaurant was, next door to Marks and Sparks, so I'd be able to find it.

"Twelve thirty, and two pm?" I checked with Mary.

"Yes and don't you be late for either or you'll meet the dragon next time!"

"I won't, you can be sure of that."

"Good, nice boots by the way."

"Erm thanks," I blundered my way back out to the street. Geez, what the hell was happening? I'll bet the Dean knows too, the Prof is being just a little premature, I could have jumped the other way last night. Then as I walked towards the town centre, I realised that I couldn't. You can only jump ship when it's in port, mine was steaming out to sea at full speed.

I caught the bus into town to save time and my feet. The boots were still just about comfortable but they wouldn't have been if I had walked much further.

I remembered Simon when we passed a Volvo at traffic lights, damn! I had nothing to wear, only this time it was true, my best togs were hanging up in my bathroom waiting to dry. I'd have to buy something else.

After alighting the bus and a visit to an ATM, I went off on a shopping trip. Really this was my first because what I'd done in London was so hesitant and I was so nervous, I must have looked like a trainee shoplifter.

I was nervous now, but I had a need and a purpose, it gave me some courage. I had a hundred pounds with me, all that I could spare for the moment. It would mean I would have to be careful in what I bought because it would be needed to fit in with what other clothes I had. This was real girl stuff and I didn't know if that made things better or worse.

It was about ten when I hit the shops, and by twelve I had tried on three skirts and four dresses, two suits, five pairs of shoes six tops and a partridge in a pear tree. I had bought a skirt suit in a lovely deep rose pink, a white top, and some black trousers. I also bought a pair of trainers and some flatties. I had one pound fifty left and that was only because most of the clothes I'd bought were half price or less in the sales. There were so many things I'd have loved to try on or even buy, but I ran out of cash.

When I thought about it, life had given me a better gift than all of those clothes put together, it had allowed me to feel normal for the first time in my existence, doing things a week ago that would have been beyond my wildest dreams. I wasn't complaining one iota.

up
171 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Awww

This is a really sweet chapter. I'm glad Cathy doesn't have too much drama right now, just enough to be interesting.

I haven't commented a lot, but you're doing great.

Things are moving awfully fast for Cathy, but it looks like her bike accident will turn out to be one of the best things that has ever happened to her.

HUGs; Holly

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Cathy is really beginning to bloom!!

It's so nice to finally see her begin to bloom and she is about to be able to take her first flight as herself with confidence and assuredness which she had been lacking her entire life! This is the sweet part of any story as the main character finally discovers herself and begins to live.....

Wonderful, absolutelty charming story Angharad! And no, It's not always As Easy As Falling Off A Bike. Sometimes, someone has to work at it, and free themself.

Hugs

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Serial Encouragement

I haven't commented in a few installments, mostly because my opinion hasn't changed. This is great!

The daily tidbits have had quite the Pavlovian effect, too. I don't know what would happen the day I anxiously fire up my browser to get my daily "fix" that day after you decide to stop writing this. Probably great disappointment, at the very least. (Shakes, withdrawal, fetal position, etc., at the worst. But, don't worry about me. No, not at all. No pressure, dear.)

Seriously, though, all I wish for is for you to just keep having fun with the story a little while longer, even if the inevitable stopping point is clearly in the cards.

Bit too quiet

Things are going suspiciously well for Caitlin. I wonder if the world will come crashing down soon.

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Ah!

The shopping trip! I knew it was coming!

No daily fix for me, I have some serious catch up to do.

A Beautiful Line

waif's picture

"You can only jump ship when it's in port, mine was steaming out to sea at full speed."

Excellent

Be kind to those who are unkind, tolerant toward those who treat you with intolerance, loving to those who withhold their love, and always smile through the pains of life.