Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 59

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad
part 59.

"I still think I ought to tell him." I dreaded the idea and was hoping Stella could convince me not to.

"Fine okay, you tell him and maybe we'll meet sometime, maybe we won't, you certainly won't see Simon again, and what will it have proved? That you are honest but stupid."

I looked at the floor, "But I'm deceiving him."

"How are you deceiving him?"

"I'm not a proper woman."

"What's a proper woman? You look pretty female to me."

"You know what I mean, down below."

"Jeez -us, how much longer are you going to go on about that? Look, I just put a freeze on his libido by saying you had problems. He accepted that, because he's that sort of guy. He's prepared to wait which means you have a chance to see if the relationship is going to work. If it doesn't you both remain intact and have a chance to have another, if you tell him he's going to be devastated and it's going to hit him hard in the confidence stakes. He may act as if he's confident, but he isn't it's all bravado. One wrong word from you and he'd collapse like a pack of cards."

I felt like I was being lectured by a school ma'am, which maybe was what I needed. I certainly didn't want to hurt Simon nor did I want to lose him, I actually quite liked him. He was gentle and kind, what more could I want? Then my doubts weren't about him, they were about me.

"All right, you've made your point, I'll keep quiet for a bit longer."

"You don't want this relationship to work do you?" Stella just ran straight through my defences.

"I don't know."

"You like him too much, don't you?" Had she just read my mind?

"Maybe," I tried to act nonchalantly.

"There aren't any maybes about it, are there?"

"There might be," I said defensively knowing she had destroyed my side of the argument.

"Look Cathy, I like you and I don't want to see either of you hurt. What began as almost a prank on my part, changed very quickly when I saw the chemistry changing and realised that I liked you. But Simon is my brother and he doesn't get hurt if I can help it. Is that clear?"

"Yes loud and clear, so before that happens maybe I should just go and not come back."

"Is that what you want to do?"

"I don't know what I want to do, except I don't want to hurt him, alright? I've said it, yes I do like him very much."

"I knew it."

"Whoopee! So you bloody knew it, can I go now?"

"Go where?"

"Back under the stone from which I crawled."

"If you do that, what will it achieve?"

"A return to normality for me."

"What back to dissertations and no social life?"

"Probably, I don't care."

"I don't believe you. In the past week you have done things you could only have dreamt of before."

"Only because you pushed me."

"No, you pushed yourself, I just helped to preserve the momentum. You spoke to your professor, you went to the funeral and faced down your father, you agreed to go out with Simon and it was you who agreed to ride in the bike race thingy tomorrow. You as Cathy, not the invisible Charlie. Do you want to give up all that, if you do then you are more stupid than I thought?"

"I can't go back can I?"

"Go back to what? To being a misfit boy? No certainly not, nor can you easily go back to being a wall flower. You happen to be one of the prettiest girls in the area it would be criminal not to share that beauty with others."

"What do you mean share?"

"Have fun, date boys be out with girl friends, shine in your department. You said Prof Agnew wanted you to improve the aesthetics of his team, so get out there and get a life."

"Date boys, wouldn't that annoy Simon?"

"Not if he's the boy, but he's got to do his side of things too, make you want to go out with him rather than other boys."

"At the moment he seems to think he can buy me."

"No he doesn't, if he did, I'd quickly disabuse him of that idea. He is showing you he cares, because he isn't very good with words or understanding his own emotions, he thinks actions speak louder than words, so he does things he thinks you will either like or get benefit from. I keep trying to tell him, perhaps if we both tell him, he might eventually understand. If he did, that would be a big step forward for him."

"But if he likes me, why can't he simply say so?" I felt a bit out of my depth.

"Because he can't for some reason, so he does things, buys you things, takes you places, gives you flowers. It's all very adolescent but that is how he is. Have you told him how you feel?"

I found the carpet very interesting at that moment, "Erm no."

"Why?"

"Because I'm scared of where it could lead."

"I think he may have a similar feeling."

"Oh no, this is just going around in circles."

"Yes, relationships do until someone takes control and gives the other party the opportunity to feel safe enough to take risks as well."

"Why have I got to take control?"

"It's usually the woman who takes emotional responsibility."

"Isn't that a bit old fashioned?"

"Not necessarily, it's usually because men are emotionally constipated, so they need someone to show them it's safe to let go. Which is what women are for."

"Sounds a bit stereotyped to me."

"So what, just get on and bloody well do it."

"How do I start?"

"Cathy, if I have to spell that out to you, you are not ready to do it which means you are more emotionally retarded than our anally retentive, Simon."

"Now hang on a minute, a week ago I was still wearing trousers and calling myself Charlie..."

"Were you? You told me you called yourself Cathy and saw yourself as a female, just waiting to emerge, or was that untrue?"

"No, it's true." I blushed and examined the carpet some more.

"I know this is quite new for you and getting the gesture and fine adjustments sorted isn't easy, but much of what I'm saying comes from inside you anyway, it's part of being female. Are you trying to tell me you don't understand any of this?"

I felt a strong sense of doom arising in me, was Stella telling me that she didn't think I was female, just playing at it? If she was right, what did that make me? What did it do for the sense of rightness that I had felt for the past week, a feeling that I'd never experienced before. Was it all some ghastly self delusion? Was I some sort of cross dresser who'd never make the grade?

"I don't know what I think or feel and all this stuff you've raised has made my mind reel. I need to go home and think some of this through. I don't know what I am anymore, I thought I was female now I just don't know anymore." I felt tears run down my face and Stella noticed. She came to me and embraced me.

"Come on girl, you're as female as I am except in one little place and that can be sorted, and you're prettier than I am. I don't mean to lecture you, I want you both to be happy. You're both important to me."

"How can I be important to you, surely it's only Simon you care about?"

"In the past it's been that way, but with you it feels very different, almost as if you were a younger sister. You haven't learnt the guile of most women, which is both worrying and refreshing but it makes you vulnerable." She paused and we hugged each other for a few moments.

"Come on have something to eat and I'll take you home."

up
170 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Smashing!

Bang on, sis! You are a bloody genius, you know? This just keeps getting better and better! On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give this at least a 12!

You happen to be one of the prettiest girls in the area Self-portrait, eh? I told PB as much!

K

Okay, Why Am I Crying Now?

It doesn't look like anything much happened, so why am I crying? Must be something about the way you make us identify with your protagonist and experience what she's experiencing.

Keep doing it!

Stella!

I understand Stella's position a little better, but I still disagree with her. The longer Cathy waits to tell Simon, the more it will feel like a betrayal to him.

Hrm

I've never understood that position. I mean, Picture this...
================================================
A woman and a man passionately embrace as they're busily undressing each other in a nice room. A bottle of champagne chills next to two fluted glasses. He's pulling her bridal lingerie off of her as she's tearing at his silk boxers. Laughing, the couple falls over onto the bed and look lovingly into each other's eyes.

"Never leave me darling," she says.

"Why," he protests, "there's nothing you could tell me to ever make me want to!"

She gets suddenly serious and ducks her head.

"Well," she says quietly, "I do have a secret..."

"Whatever it is," replies the groom sincerely, "it's as nothing to me."

"I... had a surgery when I was younger," she admits, biting her lower lip.

"What... what do you mean?" asks the boy.

"I was born with an extra toe."
================================================
Ridiculous, yes? So why would a different medical secret from the past be so devastating?
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

It's different

Because it's more than a minor medical secret - Cathy didn't live twenty-some-odd years of her life as Cathy with an extra toe, she had a completely different identity. She can't truly share herself with Simon if every memory has to be edited. Any reminiscence about her childhood is telling a lie of omission when he's imagining a little girl who never existed. And that's the root of the betrayal; even if she never outright lied, she knows he assumed that she was always Cathy and didn't correct his assumption.

What's more is we're talking about a sexual attraction, a relationship that is a sexual one regardless of how far their actions go. And reproductive organs play a more important role in sex than do toes. Her "medical secret" is more along the line of "I have Herpes" than "I used to have eleven toes," fairly relevant when considering a potential sex partner. Different people find different things sexy, and some people just consider the idea of sex with even a postoperative transsexual to be a real turn-off, and if Simon's that closed-minded Cathy deserves to know.

And thirdly, if you're considering having a serious relationship with someone, it's worth mentioning somewhere near the beginning that you can never have children with them. It's important to a lot of people that their kids are made of their own genetic stuff, and while it isn't nice to write off all the infertile people, I feel that anyone who wants to should have that right.

Bothersome phrase

"Lie of omission"

I wasn't talking about Cathy's situation, specifically, mind. More in general why I don't understand that it's such a big deal. I view it as the same level of minor as the aforementioned toe. In fact, the removal of an extraneous toe would have you in the hospital recovering for far longer than would the inversion of genitalia does.

There's really no such thing, of course, as a "lie of omission," because a lie is by definition the telling of an untruth. Telling means to inform proactively, through use of a venue of communication that both the origin and the destination people have in common. Saying that allowing someone to reach an incorrect conclusion by way of withholding information is betrayal implies that one must proactively divulge all information. This is not so. If we were considered betrayers for not correcting the assumptions of someone else, there would be no mistakes in any information. There would be no retractions of incorrect news stories, there would be perfect data recorded every time in every situation.

If I were to use my own life as an example, no editing of memories would happen. I've always thought of myself with female pronouns. Am I lying about my past because of that? No. It comes to perception. Think of this: The warden of a prison doesn't want it known that a dangerous criminal escaped. In order to cover his error, he tells the guards that the prisoner died. The next week, when the newspaper covers the story, one of the guards swears that the prisoner died, because it doesn't occur to him that the warden would lie. Is the guard lying? No, he's telling the truth as he knows it.

As for the relationship being a sexual one... didn't Stella just take care of that aspect? As she says, that bit can be sorted later.

You compared her secret as akin to keeping Herpes secret. I disagree with such a comparison with every fiber of my being. Transsexualism is not a contagious disease that can kill you if you sleep with someone with it. It's that kind of comparison that makes it so hard to make ourselves understood to the general public.

You also said, "Different people find different things sexy, and some people just consider the idea of sex with even a postoperative transsexual to be a real turn-off, and if Simon's that closed-minded Cathy deserves to know."

Alright. Let's address the first half of the sentence. "Different people find different things sexy, and some people just consider the idea of sex with even a postoperative transsexual to be a real turn-off..." So what would be the benefit of telling him, then? If he finds it a turn-off, telling him would mean there's no future in that part of their relationship. If he doesn't find it a turn-off, then why would it matter at all?

Second part of the statement, "... and if Simon's that closed-minded Cathy deserves to know." Okay... why? Why does she 'deserve' to know? I've seen nothing either in the story or in any kind of stated or implied intellectual property or mental real estate contract that shows that she is allowed to know everything that goes on in his head. I mean, I'm not as conversant with UK law, but still...

Finally, mentioning that you can't have kids. Okay. In today's society, bringing up kids before you're in the relationship really at all is considered a bit on the frightening side to both women and men. Besides, even if you're of the opinion that it should be brought up, why would that include disclosure of the reason behind it? I know at least ELEVEN girls who had to have a hysterectomy by the age of 17 due to health issues ( endometriosis ), and that's only the ones I know personally and well enough to call my friends. That's not really a topic a new beau wants to discuss with you.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

Honesty

That's what it all comes down to in the end. A relationship that has part of it's foundation in the withholding of information is doomed from the start. Legal, moral, and ethical - three different standards. What is acceptable under one standard can be absolutely wrong under another. Where one standard stops and another applies is a grey area, different for each of us; although there may be a considerable overlap of opinions among most of us. There is no hard and fast rule, but as Justice Stewart said in the Supreme Court decision on pornography, it may be hard to define but "I know it when I see it".

If being a transsexual isn't something that needs to be revealed and discussed at some point in a relationship, what about being a child molester? Or a convicted rapist? HIV positive? Into bondage sex? Or being passionate about having children "of my own", as in being the genetic father or mother? Where is the hard and fast line for these cases? The legal one? The moral one? The ethical one?

Obviously each of us has a different point at which we'd draw the line. I had a relationship end when I would not commit to being a genetic father. She wanted kids, I didn't. It ended quite messily, with much crying and recriminations, all because I chose not to reveal that information. Here we might have a case of Simon wanting genetic children, we don't know.

Honesty - how much and when. Each person decides. But be prepared to pay the price if your definition does not match the other person's when you are in a relationship.

Mark

"If you are too open-minded your brain will fall out"

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Modern Proverb

"Your rights end where they begin to infringe upon another's."

I call it a modern proverb because I can't find a 'source' inasmuch as I find many. It's something that's accepted in Western Society.

Frankly, your extra examples don't hold water viewed through these wise words: 1) child molester - has harmed others, so that right to privacy is gone (they're listed on a registry open to the public) 2) convicted rapist - same condition as a child molester, and they're listed on a public registry of sex offenders 3) HIV positive - known to be a deadly disease, and there have been convictions of those that used it as a weapon either knowingly or unknowingly 4) bondage - only really matters if you try to force it on someone.

Again, I'm appalled at the comparison of these things to being transsexual. I am transsexual and am exceedingly offended at being compared to being a child molester and a rapist! HIV positive can be managed and one with the virus has to make major concessions to stay alive, one of which is attempting to avoid infecting others. Bondage, I'm not even sure where you got that comparison, as anyone can be into bondage whether they're transsexual or not.

Now there is apparently a campaign to champion Simon's right to father children. Newsflash. Simon is a fictional character in a story. A story I'm enjoying, but I guarantee you that policy will never be set by examples in a story. Not even policy about revealing that you're transsexual. Gasp. The horror! Oh noes!

And the theme of essentially accusing folks of not being honest. It's not dishonest if you choose not to volunteer extra information about yourself. If someone were to meet my mother, they'd think she was a blonde. Why should she disavow them of that impression and insist that they know she's a redhead for their own good? Too tame an example? Okay, how about this: A woman in her 20s is out on a date with her boyfriend. He asks her for sex. She says no. He replies that it's alright, he'll respect that she wants to wait until marriage for sex. She does not inform him that she's had sex before, in fact, her last boyfriend broke up with her for wearing him out. Oho! She didn't volunteer information. According to the setup you're promoting, she should... many scenarios could develop if she was required to fully disclose. Her current boyfriend would feel slighted that she, "didn't think he was good enough," whether it was true or not, for example. Honesty has nothing to do with it. Withholding information is not automatically analogous to being dishonest, and any who think it is would be guilty of fallacious thinking.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney

nicely done

kristina l s's picture

It's always the emotional switchbacks that get you. Not sure I fully agree with the 'deceit' angle but I understand it.
Simon might be thoughtful and empathic, seeing the emotional weight Cathy has. Or he might be smack in the chops Mr Macho and stomp off in a huff to find a real woman. Like most things I suspect we're somewhere in the middle. Keep pedalling.

Kristina

I guess

you can go scores of ways about telling someone else. You can take your time, do it straight away, whatever. You can call it deceit or (self)protection... everyone needs to find their own way.

BUT...

At whatever point in time and along the way of a (budding) relationship, whichever way done and said... the odds are roughly halfsies: One half sort of runs off on the premise of needing to think about things, the other half says something along the lines of "Oh, I though you had something important to say... can we go on kissing (or whatever) please?"
That never seems to change.

Can't help myself here :) I

Can't help myself here :)
I think it is important to be truthful.
Nobody wants to get hurt right.
And the bigger the revelation the greater the hurt.

And that's why Cathy has such trouble.
Telling him will devastate both of them.
Or maybe not, it all depends on how Simon sees it.
He will be the catalyst of this relationship.

And yes, if you want children most of us want our own.
Ever heard the expression love child's?
It's one of the commitments you do without thinking :)
To adopt involves discussion and a clear head.
Lovemaking does very well without, thank you ::))

And Stella to my eyes are somewhat in love with Cathy.
She seems to see her as the estimate of all things good.
Therefore she wants her for her very best and only brother :)
I can't say I disagree, she seems very nice.
It's just that tiny tiny problem :)
But that will be Simon's say..

Cheers
Yoron

Stella

knows her brother better than anyone, including their parants. I thing this should be given a lot of weight.

These comments more than

These comments more than anything proves what an amazing author you are. To provoke debate among your readers about characters that are very much real to us, is quite a skill. I applaud you and look forward to the next chapter.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair