Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 11

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
Part 11.

With all the banter and suggestive remarks being made during the drive, I had no idea where we were as we sped through the countryside. Had it not been for my distrust of Simon, I could have found the journey pleasurable. The seats were very comfy and supported me in all the right places, there was very little wind or engine noise and the CD player was excellent. Simon had a copy of Madeleine Peyroux on his player, and it was wonderful bluesy, jazzy, and just brilliant.

We actually talked about it without any fencing and without him trying to 'pull'. It seemed we had one thing in common, which I suppose was better than nothing.

Eventually he steered the car into a car park belonging to The Jolly Roger public house and restaurant. It seemed Pirates of the Caribbean had a lot to answer for. Despite the fact that it was early evening and getting cool there were children playing in the themed beer garden, racing around and screaming like demented souls, one or two of the boys waving plastic cutlasses.

It took me back to another memory, where instead of identifying with the hero of a film I found myself cast as the heroine by some friends who were boys. Their intention was to humiliate me as well as give them a focus for their game, and I suppose it played into my hands too. I had no taste for being Indiana Jones or James Bond, I was happy to fantasise I was Barbara Bach or Michelle Pfeiffer. However, if it wasn't my idea, then I bore no responsibility for being 'coerced into the role', it was a nice loophole. I was just a wimpish kid who was forced to pretend he was a girl because of threats of violence from his peers.

One of the boys, Malcolm Bragg, who was always called, 'Melvin' after the writer and broadcaster, threatened to bring one of his sister's old dresses and make me wear it but he either never remembered or it was an empty threat.

"We're here," said Stella nudging me out of my reverie. She helped me out of the car and arm in arm we walked across the car park, our heels clicking on the tarmac. "Thought you might like some support in those boots," she whispered as we walked. I nodded an emphatic yes.

Simon held the door open and we went into the "Davy Jones'Lounge" the atmosphere was placcy and tacky, with plastic beams every where and windows made up as port-holes or gun ports. Stella and I sat as he asked what we wanted to drink. I was tempted to ask for red wine, but decided after the previous episode I'd have something different. I went for a Bacardi and Coke, Stella asked for a Buck's Fizz, Simon went off to get them.

"Don't take too much notice of my brother, he thinks he's God's gift to women. He also fancies anything in skirts."

"He'd get a surprise under mine," I smiled back, then blushed at the thought of it.

"I'm not sure that would put him off, if he got that far although he might have to improvise."

"He wouldn't be the only one," I whispered back.

"Talk normally, you have a light voice, it's quite okay, perhaps if you raised the pitch at the end of a sentence, like the Aussies do, it would sound even more feminine." Stella then gave me an example and I promised to try it as the evening wore on.

"I've ordered a table for 8.00pm, they've quite a good menu here and because my bonus came through last week, you can order anything you want."

"Oh yummy!" said Stella licking her lips, "can I have scallops then?"

"I just said you could," reiterated Simon raising his eyebrows, "sisters! You don't have any do you Cathy?"

"No, I have a brother, they're even worse," I threw in as much for devilment as anything. I didn't actually have any siblings, which now may not be such a bad thing as it would be someone else to explain things to.

I've been told that men like to talk about themselves, and that they are better at talking than listening - ring any bells? So I thought I'd run a little experiment, I'd prime Simon with the odd question about himself or his opinions and see what happened. I wondered if I could get him to talk all night. I was tempted to involve Stella in my little game, but then I'd need opportunity to bring her in, so maybe I'd use it as a test of my feminine ingenuity and work on my own.

I got him to talk about his job, a commodities buyer for a merchant bank, whatever that was. It paid handsomely even if he'd had to sell his soul to get it. He talked and I kept him going on what was nearly a monologue. I noticed Stella watching us and smiling to herself.

My plan was working and she was aware of it, or I thought she was. Simon went to get himself another pint. "This is the first time you've been out in company?" she asked looking perplexed.

"Yes, why? Don't you believe me?"

"You are charming him out of his socks, you do realise that don't you?"

"I'm just trying to keep him happy," I offered back.

"Oh he's happy all right, and he'll want another date with you."

"Oh my God!" I felt myself growing hotter and redder, "He won't will he?"

"I'm willing to bet a tenner that he asks for your phone number."

"Oh Jeez!" my heart felt like it would stop with embarrassment.

"Would you like to come through to the restaurant ladies?" said the man in the dinner jacket. I presumed he was the head waiter or something.

With some difficulty I rose to my feet, my legs and back were stiffening up from the accident. I picked up my glass of drink and Simon who was coming across the room, stepped well away from me. I blushed again.

Stella came to my rescue and we strolled arm in arm into the, 'Captain's Table' restaurant. She felt me stiffen as we went through the door, "You okay?" she whispered.

"Those two over the other side, they're on the same course as me." I felt my legs growing heavy and had difficulty walking.

"Come on, they won't recognise you like this," she smirked.

"What if they do?"

"Tell them it's a practice run for next week."

"What happens next week?" I asked, still feeling queasy.

"You come out of the closet and get a date with Simon." She sniggered at my discomfort.

"If they find out, I'll just die," I whimpered.

"Carry on like this and they'll notice something odd about you, act like you own the place and they'll fancy you but leave you in peace."

"You sure,"

"Trust me, I'm a nurse," she sniggered.

"Oh shit, why did I have to ride out this way today?" I almost appealed to the gods, but they were on supper break, knowing my luck.

#####################################################################

Do leave comments, they distract readers from the story and they won't notice how bad it is!

up
233 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

From the frying pan into the fire

This is indeed a delicious story. Cathy, with a bit of help from her new friend named Stella, has put her transiton into overdrive. Not only does she go out dressed for the first time, It also turns out to be a date with Stella's hunk of a brother. I'm looking forward to more of this wonderful story

Brava'
Sasha

PS Don't we all wish that we had a 'big sister' like Stella to get over those first awkward moments of going out by making us as pretty as a princess and then holding our hand thru the whole thing?.

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

Do leave comments, they distract readers from the story

Oh ye of little faith! A great story with some good little humorous touches, but very short chapters. At this rate I'll be in my dotage before you finish (and I'm not now?). Never mind, I know how difficult it is to write regularly, even when you do have the whole plot inside your head. You do have the whole plot, don't you? Or do your characters, like mine, have their own ideas?

Hugs,

Susie

I said earlier on that I

Angharad's picture

I said earlier on that I make it up as I go along, there isn't a plot line, that would be far too organised for me, so my stories tend to ramble towards a conclusion rather than follow a plan. It's a bit like my cycling - no sense of direction!

Glad you're enjoying it all the same, thanks for commenting.

Angharad.

Angharad

That's the advantage of living in Milwaukee

For getting around landmarks are everything.

Because of the last gasp of the glaciers -- gone 10000 years but not forgotten -- if you are riding parallel to the hills, you are going north or south. If you hit some big hills after half an hour and they last for another hour os so, you are going west. If it's very damp and 1000 foot long ore carriers are sailing by, you are in Lake Michigan and likely drownding. If the salmon and perch are swimming above you that is a bad sign.

Total craziness going on here, Angharad. Carry on. Your hero/heroine character being sucked into this crazy scene reminds me of some of what made/makes Snafu so good.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Distraction

I wouldn't dare try to distract anyone from this marvelous story! You're doing just fine. Staggering around a bit in those boots, perhaps, (vamping a bit between scenes, are we?) but getting exactly where you want to go!

It's all great fun, and I just love your sense of humour (see, I even spelled it right -- you've completely corrupted this American). Just keep having fun with it, and I'm sure we will, too!

British Humor

British Humor sometimes leaves me scratching my head wondering just what I missed. That is not the case here. This is so funny and inventive I look forward to each new episode. the pacing is great and moves along very fast but still has enough details and character building to capture the favor exactly so!
Hugs!
grover

easy

kristina l s's picture

What you missed I mean...it's the 'u'. Ok, sorry I just couldn't resist. I may not be British but I can speak sorta proper and almost spell... mostly. Unlike you lot...sniff.
This is very nice isn't it. Humorous even. Damn, that didn't work. I still love ya Grover... even if ya can't spell. Hah!
Kristina

It's not my Fault!

Excuse me I was channeling Harrison Ford for a moment! No, I can't spell and more than likely never will seeing how long in the tooth I am now. I have long decided that spell checkers was the greatest invention in history, except where you type in the wrong word to start with. I just accept what happened was funny and laugh along. Could be why the the humor escaped me to start with. For grins look up Auditory processing disorder. As for 'Easy as Falling off a Bike' I've always found it hard. The landing that is!
Hugs Kristina LS.
grover

Stop that this very instant !

You do not have my permission to criticize your own work. It is a wonderful story, so keep quiet and accept it.

Gwen

Falling off A Bike

marie c.

Very funny and well-written. The story hangs together and moves along easily and unforced. Angharad is a top writer though her/his name is eccentric to say the least. Out here in California I've never run into anyone called that though there are odds and ends of witch covens in the vicinity, the members of which adopt uncommon personal labels for sundry magical purposes. At least that's the only reason I can think of.

Never fear. I plan to read the rest of "Easy" with a ready eagerness.

marie c.

Bike!

LibraryGeek's picture

I've just started reading Bike, and am reading through the back file in a gradual fashion. Reading the current story at the same time is rather spoileriffic!

This is really quite well written, I'm quite enjoying it.

Cathy is very easy to empathize with, I keep getting immersed and find her reactions quite real. Even though she's planting landmines, what with fibbing about her major, and not really having siblings, beside the whole transition thing. I find myself quite envious of her, but also wanting things to go well. It must be quite exciting, as well as terrifying, what she's doing just now.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Distraction

So far I am enjoying this story immensely. I find I empathize with Cathy quite a bit.

In some ways here attitude is odd, because this is what she is striving for, but she obviously had not though it out. Stella is just what the doctor ordered. Since she is one of the lucky ones who can pull en fem off, she needs to make the transition early. I'm not talking surgery either.

Really?

I didn't know Aussies raised the pitch of their voices at the end of a sentence.... interesting to see another's view of oneself. I don't know why this one is so nervous.

That definitely rings my bell

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I’ve been told that men like to talk about themselves, and that they are better at talking than listening - ring any bells?

It does: the stereotypes bell. That sort of behaviour certainly qualifies for equality between the sexes, since neither has a monopoly on it.

Biting the bullet

Hi Angharad - after all these years of seeing the episodes mount up I've decided to start reading the story. It might take me a few years to catch up, but what the heck, I just read 'Moby Dick' and this is a lot more interesting. I'm really enjoying it. I'm just wondering how you ever find time to do other things with a daily episode to put out.
Bronwen

Cathy

Oh, this gets better and better. If That were me they say "Wow did you see the bear in red 3" boots?"

Awesome Story, Thanks

I've known about the story Easy As Falling Off A Bike since shortly after I joined Big Closet two years ago, yet I never took the time to check it out until now. I must say that I'm having a great time reading the story, I'm definitely hooked; I guess I'll be spending quite a bit of time catching up as I often read until I can't keep my eyes open any longer, even more so for a great story like this one. *grins*