Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 66

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad.
part 666 (he he!)

I awoke the next morning feeling exhausted. My head was clearer and I felt better but my energy was zilch. I felt very down, and even looking at the beautiful flowers that Simon had sent me, didn't raise my spirits.

I slumped in the chair waiting for the kettle to boil, looking at Dad's letter and missing my mother. It was friday and I'd sent off my dissertation the day before, but the virus or whatever that had hit me had drained my reserves and my depression from the loss of my mother was keeping my tanks empty. The fact that a few days before I had held my own in a bike race, seemed a lifetime away. Now I'd be lucky to hold my own in a sleeping competition.

Simon would be back tonight or tomorrow, Stella could be doing anything with John or whatever his name was. She might even be working. The flowers were lovely and it was sweet of Simon to send them, I couldn't even recall if I'd thanked him for them. I sent him a quick text.

'Thx 4 the flwers,
they R luvly.
So R U.
C. xxx'

Now I had and I felt a little better for doing so, in fact for doing something. I made some toast and then had a little cereal. I stood for ages in the shower letting the warm water attempt to wash away my blues. It didn't but I certainly didn't feel any the worse for it.

By the time I'd dried my hair and dressed myself, I felt a little more alive but still nowhere near normal. I sat looking at my father's letter. Although we had changed things quite a lot, I still wasn't sure how I felt about him.

The thousand pounds he'd sent me was very helpful but I wasn't going to be bought. There was an awful lot to be talked through with him and I wanted some apologies for his abuse and violence. I also wanted some more detail regarding my mother's death. He'd hinted at the cause as being heart problems, but I'd like to know more. There were too many questions and few answers. He would be the main source of the answers. I did wonder about getting a train and going to see him but I couldn't be bothered. It was just too much effort in my weakened state.

As I read the letter again, there was a knock at the door, I put the letter away and answered the door. I was expecting Stella if it was anyone, instead there was some bloke stood there in a suit and a smarmy smile.

"Miss Watts?"

"Yes." I wondered what was going to happen next.

"Simon asked me to give you this." He held out his hand concealing something in it.

"You know Simon?" I said, asking the obvious.

"Oh yes, I've looked after his motoring needs for several years."

Still the penny didn't drop and I lifted my hand to accept whatever was in this man's hand. He pressed a key into it. I looked at it, it had the Mercedes logo on it.

"What's this for?" I asked completely confused.

"Come on down to the street and I'll show you," smiled smarmy face.

I followed him trancelike into the road and there before my very eyes stood an A class Mercedes, in a deep blue. It was a couple of years old by the number plate but in very good condition.

"Why are you showing me this?" I asked.

"Simon asked me to bring it to you."

"What for?"

"Presumably to drive round in."

"But I told him I didn't need a car, I can't afford one."

"I think that's why he's sent this one. If you fill it at our garage, the fuel goes on his account, same as Stella."

"But I can't accept it."

"Why ever not, it's in lovely nick, low mileage very economical."

"That's not the point."

"What is then?"

"I don't need a car, I have a bicycle which is fine for around town and to and fro the university. Besides it's ecologically more friendly."

"Well Miss Watts, that's between you and Simon, can you please sign the form to say I delivered it?"

"I don't want it."

"I'm sure you can sort that out with Simon, just please sign the form so I can get back to work, I have a mountain of paperwork to do."

"But I can't sign it, because I can't accept it."

"Miss Watts, the form says I brought it out to you, it doesn't say you have to keep it. That's between you and Simon later, please I need to get back."

"But I don't want it."

"Look darling, that isn't my problem, just sign the piece of paper, okay?"

"Can't you just take it back?"

"No I can't, it doesn't belong to my garage any more."

"Who does it belong to then?"

"Simon, I suppose."

"Well take it to his house then, I'm sure Stella would enjoy it."

"Can't do that, I'm instructed to bring it here and give you the key. I've done that, now please sign the form so I can go."

"But I don't want it."

"That isn't my problem, just sign the friggin' form."

Against my better judgement, I signed his stupid piece of paper and he snatched it from my hand and ran over to a car where his colleague was smirking. They drove off seconds later, presumably before I changed my mind. I could see an envelope inside the car addressed to me. I opened the car and reached it from the dashboard. It began to rain and I jumped in the car out of the weather.

Opening the note which was from Simon, I read it while listening to the pitter patter of rain on the roof.

'Dear Cathy,
I know you don't like the idea of 'being bought', so let me make this plain from the beginning, you are not being bought. This little car was going for a song and I thought you'd like the use of it, perhaps you'd like to go and see your father or friends in Bristol. Now you can and no excuses about not being able to afford to run it, I've taken care of that too. Please enjoy it.

love,

Simon.

PS. I won't be back until saturday sometime, be ready for dinner at 7.30. I'll collect you, so wear something tidy. S xxx'

I looked at the interior of the car, it was immaculate and had only done twenty thousand miles. It was beautiful, so why did I feel so bad about it?

I tried to understand what was going on inside me. People were being very nice to me, but they weren't listening to what I wanted, they were running their own agendas. It was as if I had no voice or was a child, because no one was listening. I felt totally powerless.

I'm sure they thought they were doing things for me, but I was capable of doing things for myself. I didn't know what to do, part of me wanted to shove the car as far as I could up Simon's arse another part wanted to kiss him to death. It would be a lovely surprise if it was something I wanted, instead he and I would have words tomorrow and they might not be nice ones.

Clutching the letter, I went back indoors. As I did so, my phone was ringing. Thinking it was Simon, I picked it up ready to give him the big heave ho.

"Yes?" I snapped into my mobile.

"Is that Catherine Watts?" asked a voice I didn't recognise.

"Yes, who wants her?"

"Do you mind if I call you Catherine?"

"Who are you?"

"I'm Margaret Soames, a friend of your parents. I'm ringing because your father has been taken into hospital...."

My mind went blank and my ears stopped working as all sorts of scenarios went through my mind. In short I panicked.

"Catherine, did you hear me?"

"Erm can you repeat it?" I asked.

"He's in Southmead Hospital, we think he might have had a stroke. He's asking for you. Do you still have some keys for the house?"

"I don't know, I don't think so."

"Can you get yourself up here sometime today, if you need money I can loan you some until you can sort things out with your dad."

"Yes, I can borrow a car, Let me pack a few things and I'll be up sometime this afternoon."

"That's great, he really wants to see you. I'll meet you at the house sometime after three." She gave me her number if I was early and also the number for the hospital.

I called it immediately. The switchboard there is designed to make them money and you frustrated. I took at least five minutes to get through and another few to get hold of the appropriate department. I explained to the ward sister who I was and she gave me a very brief and guarded report. He was there on ward S2, he might have had a cerebro vascular accident. He would be there for several days while they assessed him and organised the appropriate treatment.

"Can I see him."

"Of course you can, but he's likely to be at the scanner until four pm."

"That's fine, I've got to come from Portsmouth. Can he talk?" I knew that strokes sometimes affected people's ability to speak.

"Sort of, he's been asking for you."

It confirmed what his friend had said, it surprised me that he had remembered my new name and status, but somehow he had. "Do I need to bring in anything for him, pyjamas or anything?"

"Some PJs and toiletries would be good, usually helps them feel more comfortable."

"Okay, I'll sort that. Thanks, maybe I'll see you later?"

"Doubt it I'm off at half two, but the staff nurse in charge will be able to answer any questions you have."

"Thank you, I'll be there about four."

Stunned for the second time that day, I took a few seconds to process what was happening. What a phenomenal coincidence that just as I needed a car, one becomes available. Was it providence or simply good luck? I didn't have time to think. I shoved some clothes in a bag and after sending Stella a text explaining where I was going, I got into my new car. I checked the gas, set off for Bristol.

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Is Cathy coming or going?

I think Angharad is the only one who knows, ( maybe ). Cathy sure doesn't.
Thank goodness she's already sent off the dissertation, because I think it is way down on her list of things she's thinking about now.

Keep Cathy guessing, because you're sure got us doing it.

Holly.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Wow, I don't really know what to think...

about this Auntie. Now you have Cathy's father biting it (almost). Leaves me to wonder about how much repentance he will do and if he will live and if he will be a part of Cathy's life again. If he does.... I hope he supports her. And more importantly - loves her. And Simon being there for Cathy too. Looking forward to Chapter 69 :)

Sephrena Lynn Miller

OH!

Wow what a quick read chapter 666 then I double cked OH YOU. poor Cathy another trip back and it will be rough i am sure and so help me when I get caught up with this wonderful story and you do that again Ill just have to laugh at myself once more fell for it HL&S

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Heh, heh

I see you are another later reader Desiree. I now wonder what's in another chapter 666. :)

Also, is it really good luck? Or maybe it's a universal conspiracy that was concorted by Simon and his sister to make Cathy accept their gifts?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Mudling along,

Read em as I see em. An even later arrival.

Is there a God?

Diesel Driver's picture

My wife tells me "You may not believe in God but he believes in you." Perhaps the same applies to Cathy.

Chris in CA

Chris

Stroke

Is our girl soon to be an orphan? tied to daddy? Crash the merc? Find out tomorrow. Poor kid, just when things look up, in comes Anghard to burst her bubble.
Cefin