Easy As Falling Off A Bike part 28

Printer-friendly version

Easy As Falling Off A Bike.
by Angharad & Enid Blyton.
part 28b

I froze like a chicken caught in the headlights of a juggernaught. I wanted to run around in circles but stood still instead.

"So who are you?" asked the voice.

I knew perfectly well who he was and I was sure the moment I turned around he would recognise me. However, the longer I stood there the more suspicious it would be. I slowly turned around.

"So has our resident nerd got a girlfriend?"

"Maybe," I answered coyly and blushing, "excuse me, I have to go." I brushed past Big Mac. We called him that because his name is Macmanus and he's huge. It is also appropriate because he is so full of sh!t that it reminds one of..oh, I suppose that could be libellous, but you get my drift.

"Just a minute darlin', haven't we met somewhere?" he pushed his arm out in front of me preventing my escape.

My heart nearly stopped, how was I going to get past this oaf, without him working out who I was. At a glance he might mistake me for a stranger, but with a few minutes to look at me, he'd surely twig.

"I don't think so, I'm sure I would remember," a gorilla like you. I ducked under his arm, and was down the stairs before he could react. The problem now was whether or not his brain was switched on. The answer to it, I wouldn't know until I met him again. Could I claim to be my own sister? I shook my head as I walked along towards the university and the bike shop, this was beginning to sound like one of those stories I've seen posted on the internet.

As I trundled through the streets, I was trying to make up contingency plans for all eventualities. There were quite a few, including Simon killing me if he found out, Big Mac killing me, Kev killing me, me committing suicide, and then...

"Hello, young Watts isn't it?"

I stopped as if I'd stepped on a garden rake and the handle had smacked me in the face.

"Professor Agnew," I replied to the older man.

"Two questions," he paused to gain my assent, "Can we expect to see the new you in classes from now on, and why are you not in classes now?"

I swallowed hard, if he could recognise me would Big Mac? Part of me just wanted to tell him where to go, the other part wanted to get my MSc and I'd need his support for that.

"I don't know," I replied and he nodded.

"And my second question?" he asked.

"It's a long story." I blushed.

"It's just as well I have plenty of time then, there's a coffee shop over there, shall we adjourn there for your answer?" He held out his arm and I linked mine around it, feeling even more like a headless deer. "It does an old man good to be seen with a pretty girl on his arm."

We found a quiet table and my host ordered two teas and Danish pastries. "So is this the real you, Miss Watts?"

He knew about my gender identity problem, but had treated it with the confidentiality it deserved. He was close to retirement, over sixty five and had been allowed to stay because he was still as sharp as a pin and had one of the most respected reputations in vertebrate zoology in Europe, and was probably nurturing a dozen top research scientists towards international acclaim. Sadly I wasn't one of them.

"I don't know," I told him and went on to explain my past twenty four hours. He smiled, laughed, nodded and shook his head at my story.

"So how do you feel about this Simon?" he asked as we sipped our coffees.

"I don't know that either, he's so far been very kind and claimed to find me interesting rather than sexy," I related, pouting as I said it.

"You seem disappointed?"

"In a way, I suppose I am. All my life I've been tolerated rather than accepted or wanted. When Stella had finished her magic on me, I thought I looked better than I had in my whole life before."

"You still do, Cathy wasn't it?"

I nodded and thanked him.

"If I wasn't your Professor, I would be asking you for a date myself," he said smiling.

I laughed at him, "Don't be silly Professor, you know too much about me," I chuckled implying my true legal sex.

"I do now, young woman and I have never seen you look happier or better."

I blushed and looked at the table avoiding eye contact.

"When you first told me about your little problem, I could see that you were quite a feminine almost pretty looking boy, but I've met other such young men as students and most had no such problems. Given your inclinations, I suppose your appearance would become an advantage when you got around to transitioning, is that the right word?"

I agreed that it was.

"However, I have been told all sorts of things by students over the years, sometimes as a way of protecting themselves against poor results, but yours have not been affected and your research is looking good, I think DEFRA (government department) might be persuaded to fund a doctoral research programme, with EU monies. The European Union likes little furry animals, thank God."

I smiled wondering where this was leading.

"While I don't want to rush you into anything, I should very much like to have a pretty young research assistant on my staff, if only because it makes the departmental photos look so much better. So I suggest you finish your dissertation and apply for funding to do a research degree for a doctorate. You would be Doctor Dormouse," he said laughing.

"Wouldn't the agency find it funny that I changed my name in between the two degrees?"

"It's nothing we can't deal with, but of course if you were to make your change over, sorry transition, sooner rather than later, it wouldn't arise, would it?"

"What, are you suggesting I make my transition now?" I gasped.

"Looks to me as if you already have, and it's a remarkable improvement if I say so myself. Should I ask Mrs Miller to make the appropriate alterations?"

Mrs Miller was the departmental secretary, she was a mature woman of forty-something who everyone liked, although she protected the prof like a rottweiler.

"There she is."

I cringed as I recognised the voice of Big Mac.

"The nerd's girlfriend, c'mon, let's go chat her up..oh Professor, I didn't see you there."

"Is there something I can do for you boys?" he said firmly. I just wanted to die, I couldn't see who or how many there were. "I am having afternoon tea with Miss Watts, how can I help you?"

"Miss Watts, what Charlie's sister?" said Big Mac.

"Yes Mr Macmanus, I am trying to persuade her to finish her brother's research project, he's been injured in a cycling accident and might not return for some time."

"Cool, I erm mean, I'm sorry to hear about Charlie, but if I can help you get to know the place..."

"I think her fiance may feel a bit put out by that Mr Macmanus."

I found myself swallowing hard, and heard a similar reaction from Big Mac, but the prof was dealing with them better than I could, I did say he was as sharp as a pin.

"Right oh, Miss Watts, if I can help, just let me know," he said making a tactical withdrawal, "I'm next door to Charlie's place."

"Thank you, Mister umm..."

"Macmanus, Alistair Macmanus, and you're welcome." He left to few hoots from his friends.

"It seems they didn't recognise you," he smiled at me and ordered tea for both of us.

"It's very kind of you Professor, but I've imposed upon your time too much already."

"Nonsense, I've ordered the tea now, surely you don't expect me to drink it all by myself?"

I sat back down. A sudden and very frightening thought occurred to me, "Are you expecting me to turn up as Cathy, from now on?"

"As your brother is injured and can't, I don't see why you shouldn't, do you?"

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

whoever the Waltons are or were...

They'd never match that one hell of a story!

Wow, Cathy is definitly in. Nearly found out by her neighbour, found out by her professor and no she can't even go back to her male persona. But why should she, as she is already well on her way to womanhood?
( I really do wonder if the same would be possible in germany too... )

Angharad, you have done a great job as always :)

*huggles*

Saphira
--
>> There is not one truth only out there. <<

--
>> There is not one single truth out there. <<

Excellent Direction Angharad!!!!

I love this new tack you have taken your story to. Its a delight to read and very much a thrill to anticipate. Cathy is now entering transition territory and it seems she is still pretty much nervous and naive to it. She is sooooooooooooo lucky to be surrounded by good friends, even the professor.

Love

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Wow! what a girl can do with a little help from her friends!

Oh wow! This is great writing! I see where our nurse friend started that the professor has picked right up. Cathy's transition looks to be full time from now on and from the looks of her it was something that she was preparing for incognito for a long time. Well with nurses and professors the alter ego is gone. She's not going to be able to run away from her admirers by disapearing now. As if it were going to be an option after her reaction to that stolen kiss. Things may be a little touch and go for a while but who knows where Cathy may find another friend when she needs one the most.

All my hopes,
Sasha

All my hopes
Sasha Zarya Nexus

You are driving me crazy

Transitioning to make the department group photo look better is a new one on me. Talk about your quirky, oddball professors. Cathy is one lucky almost girl to have him solidly in her corner.

I agree, Cathy is here to stay. Question is how bumpy will the road be?

I'm getting dizzy following this but it's fun.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Killer funny.

"I froze like a chicken caught in the headlights of a juggernaught." Well, Vishnu is going to get you for that one,I hope. :)

Gwen

Gwen Lavyril

Gwen Lavyril

Oh dear

kristina l s's picture

Shoved onto the stage, curtain's up... lights 're on... the audience stills....
NOW WHAT!! or... where maybe...
Come on Cathy....you can do it

Kristina

Another exciting twist ...

... and what a sensible chap the prof is! If this story is unplanned (and I doubt it is, so smoothly does it flow) then you're doing very well. The plot is developing in an intriguingly complex way. There are already lots of potential routes for Cathy to follow before anything like a conclusion is reached. What's more, several of them will provide satisfaction for your readers.

In some ways cycling is the perfect sport for T-people. My wife and I frequently wear identical clothes and a few weeks ago I borrowed a pair of her shorts as all mine were rapidly becoming 'Winter use' only - ie too embarrassing to wear except under a pair of training bottoms lol For the uninitiated, rather like a Scotsman's kilt, nothing is worn under a pair of cycling shorts. No VPL!

There is a minor continuity error you might like to adjust. The Prof orders coffee and cakes;they are even described as 'sipping our coffees' and yet, at the end, the Professor persuades our heroine to stay and help him finish the tea he's already ordered - "Nonsense, I've ordered the tea now, surely you don't expect me to drink it all by myself?"

Sorry, ever the proof reader/editor :o(

Geoff

Tea for two?

Angharad's picture

Sorry, the tea was a second order after the coffee had been drunk, it was a lever to get Cathy to stay longer to talk and avoid the Big Mac crowd. I should have made it more clear. But then I don't claim to be much of a writer.

No Geoff it isn't planned, it just goes where it wants as I write it, obviously leading on from where the previous one ended.

Angharad

But then I don't claim to be much of a writer...

... However, other's views may vary - and probably prevail.

If it is totally unplanned then you (and we readers) are having an exhilarating ride :)

Geoff

Yaaaay!! Signs of Daylight!

Thank you, thank you! I can't tell you how relieved I am to see some impending resolution to all of this. A grizzled old white knight riding to Cathy's rescue to stop the bleeding. This is a good thing you've done, Angharad, breaking some of the tension and letting your readers take a breath.

While I'd like nothing more than for this to culminate in the warm, happy ending that Cathy deserves, at least you've shown us that it would have been possible, whatever torturous machinations you decide to put us through next, you naughty girl!

Wonderful, now Cathy can

Wonderful, now Cathy can actually live her life. I had a professor in college very much like Cathy's. He was very astute and could go straight to the heart of the matter with ease and made others feel so warm and at ease also. Thank you for introducing this person into the story line. Janice.

That one went fairly quick

That one went fairly quick didn't it?
Ah well, the suspense is killing me :)

Yoron.

Friends

You take them where you find them. Sometimes they come from unexpected places. Seems I've been there not too long ago.

Help from above

Thank You professor!

A touch of kindness from the old professor

Iolanthe Portmanteaux's picture

So far the story has been antics and accidents... this quiet moment with a kind older man was very welcome.

(I'm taking the story three episodes at a time... I'll catch up eventually!)

hugs,

- iolanthe