Camp Kumoni : 52

Printer-friendly version


Erika looked glumly at the trail in front of her brightly painted toes. “I know. I just don’t want to go back to school, I really don’t want to go back to being Eric ‘The Plague’, especially now that I’ve experienced so much.”

Camp Kumoni
By Anistasia Allread
Not edited, sorry
     
sunlitforest.jpg

Camp Kumoni Ch. 52

Erika watched her mother as the others departed. The past few weeks had taught her a new respect for the woman who gave birth to her. She just wondered where her father was.

“Mom? Where’s dad?”

“He had to fly out of town on a business trip.”

“I thought he was done with business trips for a while.”

“He is, but his boss, who was supposed to go, was in a minor car accident and the company had to send your dad in his place.”

“Oh.” That was a small load off of her mind. Now that she didn’t have to worry about her father showing up suddenly and starting this whole scene over again, she could talk to her mother.

Her mother looked over at her and sighed. “So, what is this really about?” She inquired.

“It’s just as Samantha had said, Mom.” Erika defended. “And I WAS in love with her.”

“Was?”

“Well. . . after the near rape thing, we kind of had a fling, but the chemistry just wasn’t right.” Erika explained. “I love her as a sister now.”

“What exactly happened with this ‘rape’?” Mrs. Martin looked at her ‘son’. “Is this camp even safe?”

“It was one guy. He’s kind of a sleaze bag anyway, but Samantha has always been attracted to sleaze bags. Erika sighed. “She went on a date with him. He tried to go farther than she wanted and then tried to force the issue. I happened to be nearby and heard her, and went to investigate. Rachel and I pulled him off of Samantha and the next morning the cops hauled him off.” Erika left the humiliation that she and the others had inflicted out of it. Her mother really didn’t need to know about that.

“So he’s in jail, then?”

“As far as we know, he is.”

A silence fell between them.

“Mom would you like to take a walk around the lake? It is a pretty walk.” Erika offered.

“Shouldn’t you put on some sneakers?”

“I’ll be alright, besides, Samantha and Tricia say I need the practice.” Erika blushed.

Erika led her mother between two cabins and onto a trail that intersected with the trail that wrapped around the lake.

Mrs. Martin kept staring at her ‘son’. She was having a hard time believing that this was her ‘son’. She had to admit to herself, that he looked pretty amazing in this get-up. He was even walking really well on the trail in the wedged sandals.

“So.” Mrs. Martin began. “Where did you get those breasts? You didn’t grow them in a month.”

“The stylist who cut my hair, Sasha.” Erika stated. “He saw right through the charade and offered to help make me more ‘natural’.

“And he gave you breasts?”

“They’re forms. I have to take them off every couple of days, and re-glue them back on. They loo real don’t they?

“Very convincing.” Mrs. Martin almost smiled. “This Sasha, he didn’t do anything to you, did he?”

“Huh?”

“He didn’t make advances towards you; make you do anything - inappropriate?”

“Ewww, heck no!” Erika grimaced. “He used to work with cross dressers in Vegas, doing their hair and stuff. He just happened to have some of this stuff in a box in storage.”

Mrs. Martin’s lips tightened. She looked suspiciously at her ‘son’.

“Honest, Mom. Samantha was there the whole time. The girls in the cabin are very into not leaving anyone alone. Every one pairs up for everything.”

“And this, Sasha cut your hair?” Mrs. Martin inquired.

Erika smiled. “Samantha took me in to see him to get a more feminine cut. Does it look alright?”

“It looks very nice.” She complimented “And the nails?”

“These,” Erika wiggled her bright nails at her mom, “Were a gift from Katie and Dani. . . Well at least the set were. When we were in town doing laundry last week, Tricia insisted on paying for a fill and a pedicure. Oh my God! Pedicures are so incredible.”

Mrs. Maritn smiled. “I know. So where did you get the clothes?”

“Samantha is a really good shopper. She got most of them for me at the thrift store, I think a few were her sister Summer’s.”

Erika stopped next to the water’s edge; her mother joined her. “See that duck, there?” Erika pointed. “The black guy following the mother?”

“Mmhmm.”

“That is Liberty. Samantha and I rescued him. He fell into a deep hole hidden in the reeds. We bring him and his family bread in the morning on our daily jogs.”

“Sounds like you’ve been quite active.” Mrs. Martin stated matter of fact.

Erika turned to her mother and suddenly threw her arms around her mother’s neck. “Mom, please let me stay. I’ve got friends and am doing things other than on the computer. Please don’t take me back. Please.” Erika sobbed into her mother’s neck.

“But you’re dressed like a girl.” Mrs. Martin protested. “You’re living in a cabin of girls, and acting like a girl.”

“I don’t mind.” Erika stated honestly. She pulled away from her mother and looked at her. “I actually kind of like it.”

“Huh? What do you like about it?”

“Lots of things. The camaraderie for one. The girls in the cabin really like me —“

“I can tell.”

“They all stick up for one another. Even when Rachel and Victoria didn’t really like me, they still treated me better than if I had been at school.” Erika took her mother’s hand and led her back to the path. “I don’t have to worry about not being athletic, I don’t have to pretend to like cars, or know the latest sports stats. I can just be me.”

“That is just the point.” Mrs. Martin interrupted. “You aren’t being you. You are my son. Not my daughter, but my son.”

“Can’t I be both?”

“How?”

“Well, kind of be both?”

Erika’s mother looked at her with a disbelieving face.

“Leeza is both. Well, kind of.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, she was born a boy, but she decided that she was a girl and switched.”

“Leeza is a boy?”

“Not anymore. Tricia said that she had surgery making her a girl. She is going to Nursing school so that she can help others who want to change too.”

“No. I will not have you prancing around the house let alone town as a girl. Your father is going to be upset enough at it is.” Her mother’s voice took on an edge again.

“You don’t have to tell him.” Erika suggested.

“He is your father, my husband. I won’t lie to him.”

“You don’t have to lie.” Erika protested. “Just don’t tell him details.”

Mrs. Martin rolled her eyes at her ‘son’. “You know you can’t keep this up once you get home.”

Erika looked glumly at the trail in front of her brightly painted toes. “I know. I just don’t want to go back to school, I really don’t want to go back to being Eric ‘The Plague’, especially now that I’ve experienced so much.”

“Why didn’t you tell me or your father about what was going on at school?”

“What? And admit that I’m a failure in society? A disappointment when it came to interacting with my peers? an embarrassment to the family name?”

“You know, you have the power to change who you are.” Erika’s mother faced her. She looked her son up and down. “Of course, you pretty much have done that. - for the summer.” She added.

“I don’t know if I can overcome ‘The Plague’. Mom.” Erika’s eyes burned. “It’s pretty deeply imbedded in the school’s psyche.”

“You have several new friends who seem to be popular, and pretty, to help you in shedding that stigma.”

The two walked on in silence.

“The sky sure is yellow.” Erika’s mom commented.

“The forest fire.” Erika explained. “It was started just over that hill.” She indicated.

“Has it gotten any nearer to the camp?”

“No. Although last week, we took a horse on a trail ride up to the top of that mountain over there.” Erika pointed. “We could see the burned-out forest from there. Grizzly Adams, that’s what we call our nature/survival instructor, He did a whole class on how forests come back from the fires. It was pretty cool.”

“Oh?”

“Like did you know that in Sequoia National Park and the Redwoods, the Forest Service actually sets controlled fires in parts of the forest? Apparently the fire clears out the competition and the heat from the fire helps release the tree’s seeds from their cones, to grow more of the giant redwood trees.”

Mrs. Martin smiled at how animated her son had become as he spoke. She hadn’t seen him act this way in a very, very long time. He was actually looking around him as he walked and not constantly looking at the ground through a veil of hair. He was speaking to her rather than grumbling at the ground as he shuffled his feet. He also seemed to have a sparkle to his eyes, and it wasn’t from the make-up.

“- weren’t allowed to take the boats out into the middle of the lake, because of the helicopter, dropping this huge bucket into it to get water for putting out the fire. When we first noticed Liberty missing, we were afraid that the bucket might have swallowed him up. That is why Samantha and I went on a search for him. We found him over there in the reeds. We could only find him by his peeping, the poor little guy.”

Erika had fallen silent again as they made the turn around the end of the lake and began walking back towards the camp. She almost jumped when she felt her mother’s hand slide into hers as they walked. After a second or two, she relaxed and gave her mother’s hand a gentle squeeze which was returned.

“Know what is scary?” Erika’s mother broke the silence. Erika looked at her mother. “Dressed like this, you look an awful lot like I did when I was your age.”

For some reason this made Erika feel warm and fuzzy. “Really?”

Her mother nodded. “It’s almost like looking into a mirror.”

“So will you let me stay?” Erika dared.

“I haven’t made up my mind.” Mrs. Martin stated. “Part of me is screaming to yank you out of here and get you into counseling, another part is telling me to calm down and let you live your own life, and a third part wants to turn you over my knee and give you a beating, then take you home to your father.”

Erika shuddered at the last thought. She really didn’t think her father would appreciate or even put up with this ‘stunt’.

“Mom, there’s something I need to tell you.” Erika bit her lip.

“What more could you need to tell me?” Her mother sighed, rolling her eyes.

“I gave the Director some misinformation.” Erika tried to word it delicately.

“Other than the fact that you are really a boy?”

“You see, I had a small accident a couple of weeks ago on the Fourth of July.” Erika really didn’t want to explain this to her mother, but she just knew that Hobbs would be confronting her back at camp.

“What kind of accident?”

“I hit my head on the diving board and had to get some stitches.” Erika winced.

“What? Are you all right?”

Erika briefly told her mother of the accident, leaving the bloodier, more horrific, details out of the story.

“- so you see, Everyone is going to call you Mrs. Martinez and Hobbs’ going to want updated information.”

“You should have called me.” Mrs. Martin scolded. “What if it had been serious?”

“And have you come to the hospital and find out then, that your son has gone to summer camp as a girl? It would have been a nightmare. By the time Dad was done with me, I’d need to stay a month to recuperate.”

“I don’t think you give your father enough credit.”

Erika let the conversation die out. She knew her father, what he’s says, what he’d do. She had heard the snide comments he made towards gays. She put the thoughts out of her mind so that she could enjoy walking hand in hand with her mother through the forest around the lake.

“Mom?”

“Hmm?”

“Did you ever wish that you had had a girl?”

“Not like this, I didn’t.” her mother stated. “When I was pregnant, I was hoping for a boy. I think most mothers do. A boy to take after and to remind them of their husband, who can protect them, and help them later in life. A son who they can cheer from the sidelines and smile proudly when they accomplish a goal, whether in sports or academics.” She paused for a few moments. “If I could have had a second child, I’d like it to have been a girl.” She smiled. “A girl to dress up in sweet, frilly dresses. To spend time brushing her hair, and going shopping with. A girl to get excited with when going to the Spring Formal, and to fuss over for her wedding.”

Erika quietly listened and watched her mother. “Did you ever wish that I was a girl?”

“No, I want a son to get married and give me lots of grand babies to spoil. Not a son that chooses a way of life that alienates himself from a large portion of society. Who will have a difficult time finding someone to love him enough to create a family with.” She looked pointedly at Eric. “I love you, Eric. I love, you, the smart, caring, creative young man that you are. I love the Eric, who can draw the most wonderful things from his imagination, the Eric, who strives so hard to do the right thing, no matter what the consequences. The Eric who would rather bring harm upon himself, than to harm another person.” She paused in their walk and turned to Eric. She pulled a tissue out of her purse and dabbed at his eyes. “And I love the Eric, who isn’t too macho to cry in front of his mother. . . Even if he is wearing make-up.”

Eric, wearing make-up and a skirt, threw his arms around his mother. “I love you too, Mom.”

The two held each other for a long moment. When they parted, they wiped and dabbed at each other’s tears and smiled at one another.

“So, are you going to show me your cabin?” Mrs. Martin asked.

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really Really Nice

Mom is conflicted, but somewhat understanding. Assuming she lets Erica stay at camp, you know that she will know a lot about transgender by the time camp is over.

Mom needs to understand

“No, I want a son to get married and give me lots of grand babies to spoil. Not a son that chooses a way of life that alienates himself from a large portion of society. Who will have a difficult time finding someone to love him enough to create a family with.”

That is exactly the life Eric had before camp. Going back to being Eric at the same school would in all likelihood ensure the same for the rest of his life. Eric has made some progress in coming out of his shell. Now it's time for mom to take a hand. Get Eric out of the hellhole he attends now, and get him some counseling for ALL his issues. And wake up and recognize that her husband, Eric's father, is a bigot who is a major contributor to Eric's problems. "Dear Old Dad" needs some counseling of his own; and perhaps they all need family counseling at some point.

KJT

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I wonder...

Erica 'knows' how her father feels about those with 'alternative lifestyle choices'. Yet I wonder if he will feel the same way about his own son/daughter. Its possible that dear old dad will disown his only son due to it. But its equally possible that when confronted with the reality he will be the strong one.

As for his disparaging comments about gays, it is entirely possible that this is down to his need to fit in with society which in many ways even these modern enlightened times is still very anti 'different'.

A friend of mine belonging to an old Catholic family was terrified as to what his father would say about him coming out, yet in the end he had more issues from his mum who wanted a normal son than his father who in the end preferred that his son be happy in life regardless of what he did. To the point that he changed churches to move from a priest that was very old fashioned to a more progressive church that while still not openly supporting gay relationships didn't castigate them too much either.

I rather hope that this could be the way of things here as I get rather tired of the domineering male father figure who can't cope with a son who isn't...

The Legendary Lost Ninja

WOW!! You Surprised Me Anistasia :-)

This Chapter has me crying for Erik/Erika and his Mother. Such a sweet/sentimental talk they had. His Mother sees her son's strength. But the real battle is yet to come when his dad finds out.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Surprise! - A great gift to come home to, from Anistasia!

KristineRead's picture

What a great treat, I was not expecting to see this for a while.

A good chapter, AA! Mom is going to take a while to come to terms with this, and we still don't really know if Erika is the right thing for Eric. But for here and now, he is doing so much better.

What will happen when he gets home, well that remains to be seen. Can Samantha and Victoria help her? Will Tricia end up at the same school... Inquiring minds want to know.

It does sound like Dad is going to be a bit of a problem, but Mom says that Eric is not giving his father credit, so maybe she knows better.

Thanks Anistasia for another good chapter.

Hugs,

Kristy

Camp K

A.A.; Did you you think that you would have this many chapters for only about a month of Camp? Richard

Richard

You did it tooo.... Waaah.

We still don't know if she'll leave her child at the camp...

Okay, so you were a little less blatant than those other two Cliff Builders. Amazing story. I really like it.

Annette

Sweet and Satisfying

terrynaut's picture

I don't know what else to say but I had to post something. This is a special chapter.

Thanks.

- Terry

Awesome

The conversation between Eric/ka and hir mother felt very authentic.

I'm glad you were able to get onto the internet to post this.

After Camp

Frank's picture

Great once again AA,

You have to think after camp, his/her parent's would send him to a different school to get a fresh start. At least if they really care about him, and mom seems to. Probably some counseling too...

Hugs!

Alexis

P.S. To all those in the last chapter making something out of nothing..sometimes people can't make it someplace.

Hugs

Frank

Safarri, so good at Camp Kumoni

Make that a 'so excellent' story AA!!!

Hello Anistasia!! ^____^ ;-D

Sure it might be a jungle at camp. But it is a microcosm of the school jungle and the city jungle where we all come from. It is just a matter of knowing what to do when confronted by the lions, tigers and bears oh my!!

Thank you for the breather. But knowing you, there are some stingers on the horizon. Which reminds me, when it comes to camp, I have seen this happen. Having a camper getting stung by bees or wasps. It is not fun at all. You just hope the person does not go into shock and swell up like a balloon. That can ruin a week a real quick.

Thanks for another great chapter. I can sleep a little better now. But we are all curious what mom's decision will be. Maybe she needs some more information to oonvince her. Thnaks again for a wonderful story. Waiting patientily for the next chapter. SWAT!! SLAP!! Stay away you pesky flies!! Quick bugging me while I'm eating my lunch and reading this story here on the porch!! giggle...

Rachel

Yay

Great work. I love it... I'm in a happy mood again now. :)

It just keeps getting better

I like the reaction from Erika's mother... that this isn't a fantasy story in which everyone just falls over with happiness when the boy puts on a dress. It's a sweet story, but with a lot of difficult details. Mom still hasn't decided... but the fact that she's making an inventory of the problems does mean (to me) that she's weighing the consequences, real and potential.

Good going, Anistasia. Hope your internet connection comes back.

Kaleigh

thanks for this wonderful chapter

It's really great to see that the mother is really listening and considering things. Lets face it if we were in her position knowing just what she probably knows so far it would be a very hard decision as well.
I agree that her remark to the father could mean he may be more understanding than Eric/a thinks so far.

If it was me in her position I would let Erica stay and decide after summer camp how to continue.
It's plain to see those experiences have been good for Eric. So far it does not seem to have caused and harm and it does not look as if that would change for the rest of the stay. Eric is very natural as Erica and that could mean he is one of those transgender or what ever they are called.

So far mom does not know if Eric wants to stay Erica or if that is just a temporal thing. She has not asked him. If she did she would learn that Eric does not know him/herself yet. Mom seems to have some knowledge of TG since she is able to consider some of the possible consequences.

All things considered I would think letting Eric stay would give Eric more time to build his selfesteem and find out who and what he/she really is. It would also get the parents time consider how they feel about it and how they want to help Eric for the future. They could explore both possibilities of how Eric could decide when he returns.

The would then have time to add rational thought to the emotional response they (or at least the mother) have right now.

The way mom responded so far I expect a decision along those lines for the end of the day.

in any case thanks for this beautiful story AA

tight hugs

Holly

P.S. to all who know me - I'm of to the hospital in a few hours for the second part of my SRS - I will try to access this site via my mobile phone and hope fully be able to read new chapters of my favorite stories like this one - wish me luck that all goes well
in the mean time I'm holding my thumbs for Eric/a

Friendship is like glass,
once broken it can be mented,
but there will always be a crack.

One thing that occurs to me...

If Eric/a's mom lets her/him stay, then she knows about the deception to the camp. If at some later date, it becomes a problem with SOMEONE at camp, the MOM is also implicated... Potential problem there too! See, Eric/a doesn't have any shrink's note that she/he's transitioning so I believe that means he's legally a boy staying in a girls cabin...

Oh, the evil things a shyster lawyer could make out of this...

Fun story though,
Annette

I wonder...

Well, looks like mum's at least listening.

Of course, I've seen the next chapter so I can't say any more.

Jessica
I don't just look it, I really AM that bad...

Ok, now that is just nasty!

KristineRead's picture

100 lashes with a wet noodle for teasing us all like that Nick!

;)

Hugs,

Kristy

Oh, and poke him...

100 times with a dry one too!

Hits The Proverbial Spot...

...as usual. Great work.

If Mrs Martin does decide Eric can stay, I doubt that she'll leave the camp records unchanged. I'd guess she'd want the last name corrected, the contact phone number (and address, if it's phony) straightened out, and if Sasha's been added to the emergency list, to have him removed. She can probably blame the whole thing on hackers -- which is essentially true -- while leaving the Erika part intact. (Actually, saying that the parents' name is Martin and the daughter's surname is Martinez isn't totally out of the question. Occasionally children retain an ethnic name that their parents have abandoned so that they can get ethnic preference in the school system or for college scholarships, though that was probably more common in stronger affirmative action days than it is now.)

If Eric's right about his father, the whole question as to staying might be moot; as Mrs Martin said, she'd feel obligated to tell him as soon as he got back, and they're liable to end up right back at camp to pull him out. If that's the case, removing Eric now and putting him in counseling probably saves everybody time and trouble.

I felt a little strained trying to justify it last time, but I still wonder if Hobbs, upon learning the situation, could accept the status quo by declaring Erika transsexual and in effect pleading political correctness to keep Erika at Columbine without reporting it to other campers' parents.

Eric

Parents

Her mom isn’t very accepting and her dad sounds worse.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

aww, so nice ...

it isnt total acceptance, but it is love

DogSig.png